LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
It wasn't meant to be.....

I decided that I would "treat" myself to a small box of chocolate caramels as a treat for Christmas, to be enjoyed while watching Christmas movies. So I open the box and eat the first one--- EWWWWWWW!!!! It was awful! Had an ammonia after-taste that wouldn't quit. I threw the rest of them away. I took this as an omen that I was NOT meant to have candy. Anyone else have a disappointing almost-cheat?
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmop View Post
I decided that I would "treat" myself to a small box of chocolate caramels as a treat for Christmas, to be enjoyed while watching Christmas movies. So I open the box and eat the first one--- EWWWWWWW!!!! It was awful! Had an ammonia after-taste that wouldn't quit. I threw the rest of them away. I took this as an omen that I was NOT meant to have candy. Anyone else have a disappointing almost-cheat?
Mine was more than almost. I had a few really good ales in my fridge. I had been ignoring them. But before I went to a Christmas party I thot I would enjoy a few because I had worked for em and it was the weekend, so I had em. But because my system has changed, i felt them the next morning. Not worth it. Good. No more please
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
I say well played! If you are going to treat yourself, make sure it's fine chocolate. Nothing from Hersheys or Dove. GOOD CHOCOLATE ONLY! A few pieces will be enough since it's so rich and delicious.

I was going to drink a beer a couple of days ago, and it just wasn't satisfying. I dumped it.
3fatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't go off my nutrition plan for anything or anyone. That is the best treat that I can give myself. I do think it is good not to eat something you don't like just because you were going to indulge in it.

Years ago I followed plans that included free meals or free days. I would not "waste" my free meal on anything that was not amazing! If I took one bite of something & it fell short I stopped. I'd find something better or skip it completely.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmop View Post
Yep! Thought something would taste amazing and blech! I threw it out too! Good for you, for doing that! If it's not amazing it sure isn't worth a cheat. I agree with Deb. if it doesn't taste great, don't waste your time on it!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
I am not a big fan of sweets .. but there is this one desert .. a pumpkin cream cheese roll .. it is heavenly. Or at least I used to think so. When we had a planned night off of our usual LCHF woe, we bought the roll. Waited forever and a day to finally eat it .. wanting everything to be perfect. The guys were fast asleep. check. Nice movie set up and ready. check. Perfect cups of coffee ready. check. Awesome ... slowly put my fork in it .. yum .. looks like it is nice and moist. Took my first bite ...

YUCK! Apparently I lost all my taste for what was once a huge fave. There was nothing wrong with the roll .. the other's loved it. But me ... I gave my piece away and I am so happy knowing it will never gnaw at me again! I had thought I would feel extremely guilty for eating a piece .. instead I am delighted because now I know that craving will never hit me again.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013

Last edited by Moonchild; 12-23-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: double posted somehow
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
Mine was more than almost. I had a few really good ales in my fridge. I had been ignoring them. But before I went to a Christmas party I thot I would enjoy a few because I had worked for em and it was the weekend, so I had em. But because my system has changed, i felt them the next morning. Not worth it. Good. No more please
Same here. Was at a party a few weeks back, and the brownies looked sooo good. It tasted soooo good. A few hours later I felt SOOOOO TERRIBLE! Not worth it at all.

Amusingly, right before I bit into the brownie my fiance looked at me and asked if I was sure I wanted to eat the brownie, if I really thought that was a good choice. I was talking to an old friend at the time who about flipped her lid at him because she thought he was telling me not to eat the brownie and calling me fat. Had to explain that he was simply reminding me of how terrible I would feel because brownies and I don't get along anymore.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I almost wish I had that problem. Sadly, things like chocolate and fruitcake and French toast will always taste delicious to me. Multiple years on plan hasn't changed that, last I checked. But I agree that if you're going to have planned junky treats or off plan eats they need to be worth it - tasty or bust!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
When your taste buds are no longer overwhelmed by all the sugar and salt in processed foods, it's quite amazing how good real food tastes and how horrible sad foods taste. I think all the time "I used to eat that garbage?!?"
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I do go off plan. I am in maintenance and don't think it hurts my weight or health but I always get the highest quality thing I want. I don't see it as garbage but good food that just happens to be higher carb, like a dinner with veg like potatoes, beets, carrots, and lightly breaded meat.

One time I was going to go off plan for my favorite chocolate cheesecake from a tiny Italian bakery at someone's house but they bought it at the supermarket because they were short on time, and so I didn't have any.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 12-23-2013 at 11:06 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote