Old 12-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
Anyone NOT have a scale goal?

I've been low carb off and on for the past two or three years, only getting really serious about it this past year after going off plan during the holidays last year and regaining almost everything.

Since February I've lost slightly over 40 pounds. It has been a slow process, but I've stuck with low carb and doing my best to eat only things I can pronounce or reproduce in my own kitchen. I am still losing, slowly but surely.

My fiance has asked how much more I want to lose. I know there is a "goal" in my stats, but my attitude has changed since then. My answer is that I'm going to stick with this WOE because I feel better doing so. I figure that at some point my body will find where it wants to be and stay there.

Does your body have a final set point?

Does anyone else not have a final number in mind and is just going with the flow so to speak?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
How tall are you?
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I do not have a goal weight. I know that no number on the scale (and no size) is going to give me what I am seeking.

My goal is to be the best "me" I can be. Inside & out. I want to look & feel healthy & strong. None of that is found in a scale weight.

I also know that my goals will require me to continue making an effort for the rest of my life. There is no "Goal! I'm done!" lol... Not for me. And that is how I want it. I'm worth it.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
My final number has kept changing. I just really wanted to get below 200. Then it kept being 10 more pounds. I am now smaller than I ever dreamed I would be. While I wouldn't mind losing 10 pounds or so, I really am happy if I can just maintain.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Since February I've lost slightly over 40 pounds. It has been a slow process, but I've stuck with low carb and doing my best to eat only things I can pronounce or reproduce in my own kitchen. I am still losing, slowly but surely.
I'll be honest, right now I have a quasi "mini goal" of 40 pounds and I hope it doesn't take me that long. But whatever it takes is what it takes because I'm not on a "diet" I can go off of.

I would be okay psychologically at 145 BUT I need to lose my belly fat so that's my real goal. I doubt 145 is gonna accomplish that. I would be okay with wearing a size 10 BUT I still don't think I'd look like how I want to look. So since you can't spot reduce and since I HAVE to lose the belly fat since that's the most dangerous, THAT'S my goal, whatever weight that turns out to be.

I have a sneaking suspicion that 145 will turn out to be a "set weight" and so will be stubborn. But since you can't spot reduce, I'll have to keep going till the fat goes away no matter what number.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 12-17-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
My goal is more about body fat percentage than scale weight.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
My goal is to be able to wear all the skinny clothes that are in boxes in my garage. It just happens that I also know what weight that is, for my body, because I used to fit into them before.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/139/149
Start Date: restart 8/13
Im torn too....this is about a lifestyle not a diet...I have a goal in my signature..I have focused more on developing an exercise routine that I consistently maintain ( I have since 6/20?/13) and on plan eating.( since 8/1/13- refocus)...the weight will be whatever it ends up........149 is simply a guess...Ive kept myself from 142-149 for years occasionally below....I am post menopausal so I really don't know what that translates in scale terms.
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I have a goal of size 12. I am tall so a 12 means I look slim. I am happy at that point.
for being in my 50s I don't need to be supermodel thin, just slimmer and happy at what I think that should be.

With low fat/low cal. I was still 'fluffy' at a very low weight. With low carb I can be a higher weight and be very very lean without the fluffy. So as long as I hit a size 12 in jeans I am fine. And if I happen to slowly get into a 10 just because of my lc eating ways, I will take it

when I lost 70 lbs before my total fixation was on a scale number. I 'just got that number' once and couldn't maintain it. It drove me nuts and I vowed never to worry about that stupid scale number again. If I had stayed fine with my size 12 at that weight, and not worry about hitting the scale number I set for myself---I might not be having to do this again

Last edited by Trigger828; 12-18-2013 at 03:24 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Waist-to-hip ratio and BMI.

Oh, and I kind of aimed for a size 6 / 8 because I thought those would look good on my height.

But I never worried about scale weight except as a way to identify foods that bloat me and as proof that I was losing.

My motto came from a comment a friend made: "I don't care if I weight 500 pounds as long as I can wear a size 8".

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-18-2013 at 04:25 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
How tall are you?
around 5'7"
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the replies. It is nice to not be alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
With low fat/low cal. I was still 'fluffy' at a very low weight. With low carb I can be a higher weight and be very very lean without the fluffy. So as long as I hit a size 12 in jeans I am fine. And if I happen to slowly get into a 10 just because of my lc eating ways, I will take it
I've noticed that too! Stuff that fit me when I was 130 in grad school (diet of M&Ms and Martinis) fits me now despite being a higher weight.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have been this size all of my adult life. I say I have a scale goal... 150 pounds... but in truth I can't imagine what I'd be like at that size.

In general, I think in more generic terms. Less that 200 pounds. Able to walk and ride my bike without pain. Able to hike when I want to. Have more energy.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am female, 5'8".
I have a 'first' goal of 154.
A 'dream' goal of 140.

I started at 202, and am presently ~160. As I have approached 154, I am getting more certain that I will want to make 140 a 'real' goal. And maybe even lower.

But first, I am going to maintain at 154 for at least three months, to let my weight loss 'settle', practice maintenance, and get used to my new body.

I think it is common for people to have number goals, because that's just how we've been trained. But the idea behind the number is, 'the weight where I look and feel good'.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Also I have other plans not really related to weight but in which weight is a part.
As I approach my goal weight, I plan to start a rigorous weight training regimen for about a year. I want to switch from a "skinny" body to a rockin' fit body. My weight will probably go UP, even as my size goes down and my abs turn to steel. But at that point the tape measure and the mirror will be more important than the scale.

One goal is to be able to eat more protein and fat, and perhaps a few more carbs (legumes and veggiiiies, important for a vegetarian) - because I will have a NEW METABOLISM.

I also plan to schedule a doctor's appointment to have my blood work done. Last time I had borderline high cholesterol and borderline high blood sugar. I begged my doc to give me a year to fix it before she started pushing meds, and she agreed. Can't wait to see her face!

Then after a year of intensive physical training, I plan to have a treadmill stress test done. It is going to be so freakin' cool to be 47-48 years old and fitter than most 20-somethings.

I want to backpack the Grand Canyon and Mount Whitney with my husband and my son.

And I will be posting in the maintenance and exercise boards.

Those are some more of my non-scale goals.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&F View Post
I've been low carb off and on for the past two or three years, only getting really serious about it this past year after going off plan during the holidays last year and regaining almost everything.

My fiance has asked how much more I want to lose. I know there is a "goal" in my stats, but my attitude has changed since then. My answer is that I'm going to stick with this WOE because I feel better doing so. I figure that at some point my body will find where it wants to be and stay there.

Does your body have a final set point?

Does anyone else not have a final number in mind and is just going with the flow so to speak?
I have a number in mind based on my past. I was in the 170's in my 20's. Since then I have added a lot of muscle. So I figure the 180's somewhere.

My goal will be to see that last bit of fat leave my love handles. I think that's the last spot where fat hangs out. You know, that final 5 or 10 pounds of belly fat. Everywhere else is looking clean and cut, but that last few pounds is where so many guys (at least) don't succeed.

Not that one needs to. Because by then your clothes are all fitting fine or you need to buy new jeans, but if we are honest, we really would like to see our mid-section at it's ultimate best.

Then we have to be careful to not get conceited about it Let it be for the wife, not for other women to head turn on us. Just my two cents.
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I have been this size all of my adult life. I say I have a scale goal... 150 pounds... but in truth I can't imagine what I'd be like at that size.

In general, I think in more generic terms. Less that 200 pounds. Able to walk and ride my bike without pain. Able to hike when I want to. Have more energy.

This is me, I've *never* been thin,I've had a life time of.... chunky baby, husky tomboy, overweight teen, young mother with "baby fat", overweight middle age. Sigh. 150 sounds like a good spot for me, but I guess I'll settle for wherever under that my path gets me. We will get there. Just for some that have never been thin, we have no memory or clothes to work with of days gone by. So it's hard to say where we will land.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
My goal is more about body fat percentage than scale weight.
This is going to be my new goal in the New Year, I've lost a good 20 in the past year, that only went on in the last couple of years. So I know what I look like at lower weights, even though I am small now at 135, I still have a lot of belly fat - (pre menopausal). Once I can get rid of that, through diet and exercise, I'll be happy wherever my scale weight ends up.
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
This is going to be my new goal in the New Year, I've lost a good 20 in the past year, that only went on in the last couple of years. So I know what I look like at lower weights, even though I am small now at 135, I still have a lot of belly fat - (pre menopausal). Once I can get rid of that, through diet and exercise, I'll be happy wherever my scale weight ends up.
Darn belly fat. You have to be perfect to not have any. Or really young. I wish you well in your efforts.
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I have both - I want to be under 175 because 100 pounds lost will be pretty amazing. But I really want to be a true size 10. I'm in 14s now, but I want to be able to shop just about anywhere.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote