Old 12-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: healthyhappyYAY
Stats: Size 10/12 -> Size 6/8
WOE: Low carb food pyramid
Start Date: Dec 2013
Telling other people

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you made your low-carb lifestyle public or how you try to explain it to people? So far I haven't, because my friends are likely to tell me I don't have to lose weight, and some of them seem to think it's kind of a joke because I have attempted to lose weight SO many times before and only succeeded maybe once or twice (and even then it wasn't very noticeable) so I don't know what to do... Do I tell them? Or do I just not choose high-carb foods in front of them (because I am not sure if they would be supportive!)

What do you guys do?

Thanks!!
healthyhappyYAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I tell people if it comes up, but I just keep it really simple unless they want to know more. I say something like "I'm following Atkins, so I don't eat sugar or starches." No big deal, and I don't talk about it unless it's relevant to the conversation. I definitely don't proselytize, or suggest it to anyone unless they ask.

Mostly people don't want details, but if they do, I'm fine with explaining in more detail, either what I eat (meat, non-starchy veggies, dairies, and healthy fats), or why it works.

Most of the people in my life know that I'm a researcher, and that I don't follow every trend or fad out there. Also, this is my life and my body, and I'm doing it for myself. I don't really talk about how it's going to most people, because it's boring and annoying to be on the receiving end of a lot of that talk. I eat what I eat, and that's that. People see me getting smaller, and are supportive of/when they notice, and that's nice, but I still don't aim for it to be a big topic of conversation.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 12-10-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I don't discuss it much at all and in fact would never address the issue with others unless circumstances made it unavoidable. My good friends already knew I can't have glutens because of celiac disease. When I decided to go VLC I was motivated by a desire to lose some weight certainly, but also because I'd read that a LC diet can be beneficial for arthritis and in addition may help prevent dementia. I have spoken about the arthritis and dementia benefits with a very few close friends but I've not discussed the weight issue as for some reason that has felt too personal (and probably because the Atkins approach has received such bad press in the past that I don't want to be dragged into a defense of it).
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I didn't tell anybody. When people noticed I lost weight, they asked what I did and then I answered honestly by saying low carb. I kept it to myself because I didn't want people to know I even tried if I ended up failing. Some of my newer friends that didn't know me when I was bigger have also asked why I don't eat the bread when we go outt to eat and then I tell them, but I don't make big deal of it.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 210/189/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13
For the most part, people I surround myself with have been incredibly supportive of my new WOE. Most of my time is spent with fellow nursing students, and while I've struggled with the same 5 pounds for a month or so now (falling off the wagon here and there...) I've noticed that many of my fellow students have gained a substantial amount of weight due to long clinical hours and the increasing pressure that comes with our graduation in May.
Sometimes I feel that I contribute to the negative connotations associated with LC by not excelling in my weight loss as quickly as I'd hoped, but then I remind myself that this is truly a lifestyle change and rushing myself isn't contributing in a
positive way.
Long story short - be yourself, sunshine. We all have our preferences, and if an LC WOE is yours than anyone who looks down upon you for it doesn't deserve your attention.
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
At first I told lots of people, I was so excited about my success. I don't anymore. Very few people were interested for long and even fewer wanted to try it. Surprisingly hardly anyone remembers how overweight I once was. Even family. I have to show photos to remind them.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
Well, the other day one of the guys at work asked me if I ate gluten free as I was mentioning my lunch (bunless something or other). I told him bread made me fart, and he seemed satisfied with that answer. I find I need to tailor my explanation to the crowd I'm answering to.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyhappyYAY View Post
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if you made your low-carb lifestyle public or how you try to explain it to people? So far I haven't, because my friends are likely to tell me I don't have to lose weight, and some of them seem to think it's kind of a joke because I have attempted to lose weight SO many times before and only succeeded maybe once or twice (and even then it wasn't very noticeable) so I don't know what to do... Do I tell them? Or do I just not choose high-carb foods in front of them (because I am not sure if they would be supportive!)

What do you guys do?

Thanks!!
I am super lucky because I work with ardent foodies. We enable one another's food dreams, needs, and wishes. It's the best job ever. That said, I'm pretty fortunate.
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I don't tell. if asked I say I eat low carb. if asked further I say no white junk like flour grains and avoid sugar. longer on plan less I care about what anyone thinks how I eat
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
people give me the third degree about it and it's really annoying. I hate having to explain it to people.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/159/135
Start Date: January 8 2013
I tell people. I don't much care what they think, honestly. I've lost weight, I feel younger, I look better...good enough for me!
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I don't have a label for the way I eat other than "healthy, unprocessed foods." I never, ever call it LC.

I don't really feel the need to explain much. If asked, I say I have eliminated certain foods due to food sensitivities (this is true). If people ask specific questions I answer them but I don't offer information. Most people don't really want a long explanation.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Generally, I only tell people if it comes up as well. I don't go out of my way to bring it up or mention it, but since I tend to see the same people on a regular basis, they eventually inquire about certain things or something makes it relevant.

However, I generally only say "I have a ketogenic diet," and if they want more details, I shorthand it by saying that it essentially means I've eliminated or severely restrict starches, grains, sugars, and (most forms of) dairy. The conversation usually ends there and only those closest to me know that it also requires a healthy dose of fat! And since I tend to meet my fat macros by putting HWC and CO in my coffee, no one really catches on to how much fat I'm actually taking in lol.

Most people know I research anything I do to an extensive degree, and they also know I'm not one to argue with---especially if you're light on facts and not prepared to get struck down with in-depth arguments--so I haven't met any real adversity to it.

The only time I get more "defensive" is when people refer to me as "being on a diet" or ask "are you still on that diet?" Then I shorthand it by saying something along the lines that "I'm not 'on' a diet, this is a lifestyle." Because I don't feel like explaining to them that being "on a diet" is the wrong way to look at any way of eating since it implies you're only doing it until you research a certain result and then you'll be "off" that diet (and expect different results than before?).

The contemporary/common usage of the word "diet" greatly annoys me, but I'll stop there before going into a long-winded rant lol.
Hayek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I've lost 54 pounds and people are really starting to notice. I was very heavy starting out so it isn't shocking to me that it has taken this long.

I am honest and answer that I've cut out sugar and flour. I have done this and that is usually what people want to know cause they see me every day and I have shrunk. It is curiousity and not judgment. I'm not embarrassed or anything but if it bothered me I'd just leave it at "I'm watching what I eat" because that is the truth too.

There are a few coworkers who have said dumb or ignorant things and I just ignore them or make a joke about loving the 5 pounds of bacon I eat every day. They are the same people who say dumb things about everything so it is par for the course.

A few of my friends/coworkers have asked for details and I happily tell them. I answer their questions simply with a huge smile on my face. One woman asked for lists of what I eat and I gave it to her. She is probably heavier than I was when I started and really wants to try it. One woman asked what online resources I used so she could give the info to her sister who is trying to LC per a doctor's recommendation. I gave her this website and a few others.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
Depends on my mood, but usually I say things that are totally opposite conventional wisdom and rather extreme. I admit I enjoy seeing their looks of total confusion when I turn stuff upside down. I'll say things like, "I eat all the fat I can handle, avoid whole grains like the plague and make sure I don't exercise too much." They are usually speechless after this. If they do question me, then I'll add, "I've spent 10 years and over 4000 hours researching nutrition, how much time have you spent?".

I know, it's harsh and often turns people off, but I'm really tired of defending it to people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. And I do think many go on to do some reading on the internet.

Last edited by BringOnTheLard; 12-12-2013 at 07:37 AM..
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
Interesting note: have a neighbor who I've debated diets with for years. I've been pretty aggressive with my defense of LC with her while she stood fast talking vegetarian and whole grains. Saw her recently after several weeks, she came up and told me she'd bought a LC book and had started the diet. Said to me, "I admit I'm feeling better and have lost 5 lbs".
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/123/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
I've always just said "I eat low carb." If they ask what I mean by that I keep it pretty simple and say that I pretty much eat anything I want except sugar and starch --- and I don't miss them. I'm sure a few people still roll their eyes behind my back but I've managed to keep the weight off for a long enough time that I've convinced a number of skeptics that it's a valid and healthy approach.
Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I don't say anything unless someone asks me a question. When I go out to eat with other people or am around food I just make my choices and don't make a big deal out of them- I don't complain that I can't eat somewhere because it's tempting or that it will be hard. I can usually find something to eat and if not then I eat before or after. I'm usually going out to spend time with people, not for the food.

Though my close friends and family know exactly how I eat, what I prefer, and they are very accommodating and supportive because generally they are very healthy eaters as well.

I let my choices and body speak for themselves. I learned to be very matter of fact about it and not turn it into a whole big deal - I ask for extra vegetables in place of potatoes, skip the bread, as what is in sauces, get olive oil and lemon wedges for my salad dressing.

What winds up happening a lot of the time, especially with other women I don't know that well, is that they will talk about my choices because they make them feel bad in comparison to what they ordered so I just smile and nod and talk about something else. I eat twice a day so I am usually around people eating lunch while I am not and I just say I'm not hungry. And, if someone makes a snarky comment about me not eating (What do you eat? Do you ever eat) while they eat fast food then I usually say something like I just don't eat junk.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 12-12-2013 at 08:44 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
I normally don't talk about it. If asked, I say - meat and veggies and little fruit. No fast food, no processed foods.

What I eat will never turn into a debate with anyone, ever! I never comment on people's food choices. None of my business.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
My friends and family members know, as do any potential dates.

It's just easier to let people know WHY I'm not eating pasta/pizza/sandwiches/rice/corn tortillas and on and on and on than to try and hide it. My friends and family members are very considerate and since they know, they also support me.

Like, we had a lunch at work where they were only serving pizza. My friends made sure I had a salad with no wheat/gluten. At Thanksgiving, my brothers made sure I had gluten/grain free foods to enjoy and/or that we went to restaurants where I could still get something delicious. At our company Christmas party, I was able to eat steak, seafood, roasted vegetables, and a salad with no croutons. At work, everyone is bringing in cookies and candy and no one is insulted when I don't take any.

My life is SO much better when people know (although: I do know it is sometimes hard for people to understand why I can't eat a burger and throw away the bun or why I can't eat just the toppings off a slice of pizza.)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pjop
My youngest daughter lost 50-60 lbs. doing low carb when she was in 10th grade (she is now in 12th) and has kept it off. She would tell people and then get lectured on how bad it was for her (as if being 50lbs overweight isn't bad ). Now, when anyone questions her about her eating, she just tells them she avoids sugar. People seem to be able to accept that and don't question it further. It's a shame, though, that people just can't be happy and supportive!
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: karenann33
I just say low carb or no sugar and that pretty much sums it up. People either support me or they just say "oh" and go about their day. I've yet to be lectured (thank goodness). If anything I've had people wanting to know what I was doing because it was working.
karenann33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I've had people in the past want to give me unsolicited advice on the "dangers of low carb", so unfortunately, I stand poised to be defensive about it. One person I vaguely alluded to being LC to on FB wrote something like, Oh, I hope it's not that 'crazy' diet (a person who is quite a bit bigger than me), so I know there's still a great deal of misunderstanding out there. It will never change. Really, if it never does, that's one thing; but really it's not anybody's business to comment on whether I'm a carnivore or a vegan no matter how "well meaning". It affects them not in the least.

Now, I only recently mentioned it to my family on the phone (flying up tomorrow) because I am relying on them for my Christmas sustenance and I wanted to be sure that brunch didn't mean, say, nothing but sticky buns. I said I'm on low carb again and that I hadn't had sugar in quite a long time. I didn't want to be a pain, but I really needed to be sure I was going to have some protein because, otherwise, I won't be eating anything with them, or at all, unless I leave to go find an open store. It seemed to go over fine.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 12-23-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
I'm at my sister's house. We wake up, she checks her blood sugar 267, she checks mine 74. She takes her Metformin and now some shot, Victoza. She then sits down to crusty bread and butter, coffee, fruited yogurt . Lunch: Pasta Salad, Dinner: Rice and Beans, fried plantains and pork chop. She says her blood sugar levels have nothing to do with diet. Really sis?
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CuriousCat
Stats: 215/155/145-135 range
WOE: LCHF under 20gms total carbs
Start Date: 11/21/13
I blab it all over. It took my blood sugar down from over 500 to normal ranges in a week. That just can't be argued with IMO.
CuriousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
When I first started, I liked saying "I'm just cutting down on sugar. I found it makes me feel better." i avoided terms like LC, Atkins, etc... I just dont want to spend any energy defending my WOE, so I give this truthful answer. People usually just accept it and move on, but people tend to argue if I use the red-flag words like Atkins, etc...

Now that I'm halfway there, i am more brave and just blurt it out. I am more cconfident and care less about others' opinions. I also tell them my diet saved my 3-year old's life. She developed a feeding disordder around age 1 and stopped eating everything except bottles until around her 3rd birthday. I was on Atkins and was eating lots of seafood. My daughter re-learned to swallow when i gave her scallops from my plate. This grew to shrimp, lobster, even steak. Now she eats anything like a regular girl, except for gluten. Celiac was her issue - she learned that eating caused her pain, as we fed her cereal at the time so she stopped and eventually forgot how to swallow non-liquids. She can't eat anything with gluten, but who knew that scallops would do the trick? People usually shut up after that!
spaceace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I told my sister. She wanted to take this journey with me, but bowed out in less than a week. I told no one else, and never even talked about it until people started noticing that I was getting smaller. I have such a good support system, my children are willing to try new dishes, my parents attempt to make lc foods when I go there. My friends at work support me. Even now, I only mention it if someone asks.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 183.0/176.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: May 27, 2014 (restart)
I just say I'm gluten free. It's not a lie and it's much more accepted than low carb. I get VERY defensive when I feel like I'm being criticized and food is a big trigger so I avoid discussing the details of my WOE at all costs.
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: smoky
Stats: Start weight 280/209/180
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic on - LCHF
Start Date: Re Start Oct 19 2013
I just tell them I am on a high fat diet. Love the look on there face.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdancer79 View Post
Well, the other day one of the guys at work asked me if I ate gluten free as I was mentioning my lunch (bunless something or other). I told him bread made me fart, and he seemed satisfied with that answer. I find I need to tailor my explanation to the crowd I'm answering to.
Love this!

I don't have the occasion to tell many people at this point - friends and family already know. Occasionally I am offered something I don't eat and decline by saying that I 'have to keep those foods out of my diet for my health'. I have had some incredulous looks but no one ever argues except one of my sister in law who has recently graduated university in nutrition. She tells me that gluconeogenisis is 'not enough' to fuel my brain and we all 'need' a certain amount of carbs daily.

We have a agreed to not discuss nutrition. I love her and I know why she thinks what she does. I will not be changing her perspective and she, mine.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote