Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I'm afraid of numbers. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/818254-im-afraid-numbers.html)

cherrytt_too 12-06-2013 12:58 PM

I'm afraid of numbers.

Over the summer...July maybe? I was weighed at my Dr's office and came in at 20 lbs over my highest weight. That number scared me, but I fed my fear with more food! Consequently, I believe I had to have put on a few more lbs in the 3 months following, but I have no idea how many.

I don't own a scale. When I changed my WOE 2 months ago, I did not get a 'starting weight'. I kept meaning to buy a scale, but not having one was almost liberating. I'm one of those people who will weigh obsessively, and let the number decide my mood. It can either keep me super motivated, or really discouraged. After a couple of weeks I made a conscious decision not to weigh for 6 months.

I'm now 2 months in, and I'm struggling. I want to weigh...but I'm afraid. I'm afraid that I was much higher over my last known weight that even though I know I've lost, I'll still be over where I think (hope) I should be and be discouraged. I'm afraid that once I weigh, I will become obsessive about it. Same with measuring. I know my clothes are looser, but I keep washing them in hot water and drying on heat so they don't look sloppy. I also know that I have stretched the clothes I have in my current size...beyond the size that they are. I'm afraid to go try smaller clothes for fear that they won't fit because my 20's are actually more like stretched out 22's and once again, I'll be discouraged.

Anyway, no real point to this other than to get it out and look for a few encouraging words. I'm confident that I'll get where I need to be eventually, but I'm searching for a point of reference to know that I'm making improvement. So far, co-workers have commented that I look 'different' and ask me if I have done something different with my make up, but that's about it :)

Aquarius 12-06-2013 01:34 PM

The scale is nothing to fear. It's just a tool.

There have been positive changes in the last 2 months. Looser clothes, comments on your appearance. This is working for you. It worked for me, too, but I avoided the scale.

I blew maintenance the first time because I did not weigh. I never had any idea what I started at, or how much I lost. I do know about where I got to since I stepped on the scale a few times near my goal. I was 128.

Fast forward a few years, a few scones, etc., etc. I have a few experiences that make me face the fact that I have put weight back on. I'm figuring, 30 pounds at the most. I decide, this time I'll do it by the book and weigh. So I do. 190. At first I figure the scale is broken, so I get my recently-weighed-at-the-vet cat who I KNOW is 10 pounds. The cat weighs 10 pounds exactly on my scale. I cry. I get scared. I am ashamed. I get over that and I get motivated.

Fast forward a year. I've weighed weekly (more or less). I lose or maintain weekly (more or less). I have my little stalls but I keep the faith because this time I KNOW Atkins works. And guess what? After a year or so I'm down 55 pounds. (5 pounds more than my original goal). Then a few months later close to 60. I'm closing in on 128 (my new goal is 125). I would never know any of this if it wasn't for the scale.

So take a deep breath and step on. Face the number - it won't be the number forever. You don't need to share it unless you want to. Make a pact with yourself to weigh only daily, or weekly, or monthly - and stick to that. Don't obsess. The damn thing is inanimate; it has no control over you. It's just a tool.

Good luck and you're going to do fine!

Ocean 12-06-2013 09:16 PM

When I was at my heaviest, I was also afraid of the scale. I didn't weight myself until a week or two after going low carb. I wish I would have weighed myself now, because if you don't know where you started, you don't know how far you have come.

I weigh myself daily now and record the weight. Some days, I am up 2-3 pounds for no reason at all, but it goes back down. I get excited when I see a new low. By tracking teh weight, I can detect a trend.

As far as clothes go, maybe first try something on in your current size. If it is too big, than try on the next size down. This is what I have always done, that way I don't have to deal with something being too small.

dgidaho 12-06-2013 11:19 PM

Another thing that makes the scale difficult to face is that we feel like failures if the numbers aren't good. I fought that for decades. It's not the same for me anymore. The funny thing is that low carb made me more objective about my weight. Now, I look at the numbers and am a little more "removed", if you will. It's sort of like a "hmmmm....that food item doesn't seem to be my friend" thought now, rather than self-condemnation. I know I'm in control of what I eat--and sometimes I choose to eat things that don't do kind things to my body. Instead of beating myself up over it, though, I now just use it as a learning experience.

I think this is my rambling way of encouraging you to try to just use the number on the scale as an objective measurement of your body's response to various foods. Because that is truly all it is! Try to remove yourself from it as measure of anything except that. Sort of like a scientific experiment, which it IS, in a strange sort of way. lol

avid 12-07-2013 07:31 AM

I understand about the scale. It can become our master.
My wife also lets the scale dictate her mood....
If she has gone up, then the day is off to a bad start.
But even if she is down a little, she'll often say something like
"well I lost a pound, but i'll probably put it back on"
Some people just refuse to give themself a break.
My personal strategy is to weigh myself daily...EXCEPT
following an off plan day....I know i'll have gained, so no point in rubbing
my own nose in it....I steel myself to get back on plan and wait a day, possibly
two before weighing in again.
It's been working so far

Patience 12-07-2013 07:43 AM

I went way too long without weighing.
Like PP, I don't know my start weight.
But I DO know I am down two sizes since starting.
I started weighing in June, and glad I did, but I had to make weighing my self a goal to do that. I am down 15 pounds since then, and I guess over 20 lbs since starting.
Not huge numbers, but good for me as a 60 plus year old.
I try to weigh twice a week . . . . weight bounces but the trend is always, sometimes very slowly, toward a new low.

LiterateGriffin 12-07-2013 02:04 PM

If you don't weigh, and are afraid to measure, at least take pictures.

Now. (You'll thank me later.) Stand in a swim-suit (or your skivvies), and take a front and side view. Save it somewhere, so that in a month or two, you can repeat this, and see the difference.

The scale is especially frustrating for me, as I have arthritis. If my knee swells up, that's reflected on the scale. Yes, I have gained weight... I may have lost FAT that day, but because of the swelling, I have gained MASS. If that's my only "yardstick", it makes it impossible to tell what's going on, accurately. And much as I know better, the numbers can get to me, if my knee HAPPENS to swell while I've been slow-loss week.

SonataArctica 12-07-2013 02:06 PM

After being obsessive with scale weight for 10 years, it was the reason I chose NOT to weigh any longer. The scale only told me one thing-what I weighed and nothing else. It did not tell me that I lost inches or that I had gone down a size in clothes. All it did was tell me a number that might/might not reflect my other victories. Sure, I've been tempted to get on before but then I think 'why'? As long as my jeans fit or are getting loose, then I know I'm exactly where I need to be. I think weighing/not weighing is an individual choice, and you must decide for yourself what will work best for you. I wish you the best of luck in your decision!

Aquarius 12-09-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

If you don't weigh, and are afraid to measure, at least take pictures.

Now. (You'll thank me later.)
Such good advice. That's something I really wish I had - a "before" picture.

cherrytt_too 12-09-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarius (Post 16711427)
Such good advice. That's something I really wish I had - a "before" picture.

Oh god...I actually have 'before' video from a function we did at work.

It was the proverbial 'straw' that broke the fat girl's back.

Aquarius 12-09-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Oh god...I actually have 'before' video from a function we did at work.
I'm not sure I would have wanted a "before" video!

JMacB 12-09-2013 07:27 PM

I have a before picture that isn't just bad, I also have glowing devil eyes. It stuns me to see it now.

Biochic 12-10-2013 05:44 PM

Before pictures can be very motivating. Even just the head shot. Losing chins is liberating:)

LolaGetz 12-10-2013 06:43 PM

I don't like facing the scale every morning and yet I do it because facing the scale is facing reality. Yes, it can affect my mood but it also helps motivate me. If I see a bounce upward I can immediately address the issue by analyzing the previous day's meals to try to determine the cause and make necessary adjustments right away before things get out of hand. Complacency is not my friend and weighing daily is a good reminder that actions have consequences. So I find it a very useful tool.

Punkin 12-11-2013 06:51 AM

Weight as it reads on a scale is a function of several things: water storage, glycogen (glucose) storage, amount of body fat, amount of muscle tissue, bone density, organ size and blood volume. What we are mostly concerned with is the amount of body fat, but it is obscured by the other things that weight measures. It is also affected by the earth's gravitational force. It isn't realistic to let it dictate how you feel. For example if you weighed yourself on the moon you'd weigh less. There are actually better methods for estimated body fat. The skinfold method, although can't tell you an exact percentage of bodyfat, it can track long term changes which is more meaningful.

Arctic_Mama 12-11-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonataArctica (Post 16709752)
After being obsessive with scale weight for 10 years, it was the reason I chose NOT to weigh any longer. The scale only told me one thing-what I weighed and nothing else. It did not tell me that I lost inches or that I had gone down a size in clothes. All it did was tell me a number that might/might not reflect my other victories. Sure, I've been tempted to get on before but then I think 'why'? As long as my jeans fit or are getting loose, then I know I'm exactly where I need to be. I think weighing/not weighing is an individual choice, and you must decide for yourself what will work best for you. I wish you the best of luck in your decision!

Funny enough, I'm there now. I have been a daily weigher for half a decade, even through pregnancies and postpartum! But the last six months I've found the scale is almost counterproductive to getting off the last bit of weight. I know what I need to do, and where I need to keep my levels, in order to drop weight. I track my food instead, and if that isn't slipping the scale may bounce or go down, sometimes up, but I'm on track. Then the scale just becomes noise. So I've been having jaunts of just focusing on what I'm doing (I can control the food, I cannot control the scale!) and only check my weight every month or three. When I'm maintaining daily weighing is crucial, but when I'm in deficit and not off plan? It just isn't necessary anymore.

I'm still a fan of daily weighing as a concept, especially in maintenance or when fine tweaking is occurring. But when you have a plan and the only thing left to do is charge forward? Eh. Less important. Get a starting number, sure, but expend mental energy on what you're doing, not what your results are. Time takes care of those if everything else is in line.

Arctic_Mama 12-11-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biochic (Post 16713624)
Before pictures can be very motivating. Even just the head shot. Losing chins is liberating:)

Amen! As bad as a before picture can be, we just look that much more awesome in comparison, now :shake:

sk8termom 12-13-2013 11:58 AM

I try to weigh-in immediately before starting (yet again...) It's empowering to me, tells me that I can accept the weight number, then use it to monitor my progress. But its scary for me to get on the scale the first time though.

snowmop 12-13-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LolaGetz (Post 16713689)
I don't like facing the scale every morning and yet I do it because facing the scale is facing reality. Yes, it can affect my mood but it also helps motivate me. If I see a bounce upward I can immediately address the issue by analyzing the previous day's meals to try to determine the cause and make necessary adjustments right away before things get out of hand. Complacency is not my friend and weighing daily is a good reminder that actions have consequences. So I find it a very useful tool.

Good post! I totally agree.