Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
eggs: can they prevent weight loss?

Over the last few months I've pretty well changed my entire way of eating.
I've even pretty well eliminated dairy, and eating less than I had been before the change. My weight has not dropped, but I am down a size.

The only food that has been a constant is eggs. Generally 2 a day, either in a smoothie or as 2 fried eggs for breakfast, rarely both. I had heard that eggs can prevent weight loss. So, since I'm out of eggs, no eggs today. And what do I do instead of?

Thanks,
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
That's interesting --I'd never heard that eggs can prevent weight loss. Do you remember where you came across that info? I actually eat eggs almost every morning because they taste really good to me and they provide an easy, filling breakfast.

Sometimes, when cooking is inconvenient, I'll just have cold leftovers from the night before or I'll throw together a quick salad with chicken or tuna and lettuce. I don't know why you couldn't have anything (within your plan) that your pretty little heart desires.

I don't think we need be bound by our traditional ideas of food appropriate for breakfast. When I'm hungry, anything that tastes good and is LC works for me. I do find that I need a breakfast that is filling and at least contains enough fat and protein to tide me over until lunch.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I eat eggs all the time and they don't impede my weight loss. I do know of some that are sensitive when it comes to eating eggs. In fact, my mom swears she is allergic to eggs. Still have not gotten it out of her in what way she is allergic, but every time the flu shots come around I hear more than an earful about how she cannot get one. So I do know some cannot have eggs.

As far as what to eat instead of eggs? What ever you like!!!! While my go-to breakfast is eggs, I will sometimes switch it up. I love chicken salad for breakfast (my daughter's breakfast all this week has been chicken salad); tuna un-casserole is another favorite (in fact my daughter had that this morning) ; hamburgers are great for breakfast too--of course have yours with no bun!

Oh, here is a thread on what to eat besides eggs:

Breakfast Ideas - No More Eggs

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ast-ideas.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...breakfast.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ides-eggs.html
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think that is totally implausible, myself. Eggs are the go-to thing for fast low carb weight loss most times.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I think eggs are one of the most perfect weight loss foods so I don't believe that they are preventing your weight loss. Can you share a menu?
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I agree. Eggs are the most *perfect* food when it comes to nutrition. Calorie for calorie you can't beat them (no pun intended). I eat probably a half dozen or so eggs every day and did when I lost 70 pounds in 3 months.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I also eat eggs every day. Dr. Atkins once said that eggs are basically the perfect food, the perfect balance of protein and fat.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/197/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002)
Start Date: August 27th 2013
eggs every day for me but i cut my intake from what use to be 5-10 daily to 2 a day and so far so good.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Eggs may only cause you issues if you're allergic to the proteins in them. I had an egg sensitivity and the amount of inflammation they caused me would have definitely masked weight loss. After doing an elimination diet and dealing with them and my other sensitivities, I was able to reintroduce eggs and have had zero issues with them, scale or inflammatory-related. It turns out when I'm not eating other things I'm sensitive to, if an handle eggs just fine.

But if you find you have an itchy mouth, stuffed nose, headache, or digestive distress within a few minutes to an hour after eating eggs, it may very well be that you're sensitive our outright allergic to them and the immune response to those could at least temporarily cause water rentention and therefore obscure the fat loss occurring. It wouldn't do it indefinitely, as even pounds of water retention are still relative to body mass and shrinking the underlying mass should still move the needle, even with the inflammation in place. But for a week or two, you could see no scale or tape measure progress.

That's a big stretch, though. Eggs are, in general, very well tolerated by adults who are not eating other things like seed oils or wheat. Most low carbers do great with them, precisely because they have usually eliminated other foods that can trigger inflammation or digestive distress, and the eggs are usually well tolerated by a healthy gut and normal immune system.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella5 View Post
I've even pretty well eliminated dairy, and eating less than I had been before the change. My weight has not dropped, but I am down a size.

The only food that has been a constant is eggs. Generally 2 a day, either in a smoothie or as 2 fried eggs for breakfast, rarely both. I had heard that eggs can prevent weight loss. So, since I'm out of eggs, no eggs today. And what do I do instead of?

Thanks,
Ella5
If you're down a size and the scale hadn't moved much, you're doing fine. There's no need to change anything. And no, eggs don't prevent weight loss in the way you're describing, that was misinformation and I think I clarified it in my previous post.

Reading your specifics, you need doses of patience and perhaps watching hunger cues, but not a menu tweak unless you're eating things that are off of your particular plan. Eat whatever you want for breakfast, but it doesn't sound like eggs or anything else are culprits. A few months and a size down is excellent progress, I'm not seeing a problem there.

If you're concerned, do post a menu and we may be able to help you zero in on other potential issues, like overall carb quantity or foods that can have hidden carbs or be insulinogenic that you may not have noticed
Old 12-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think that some people have an undetected allergy to eggs and that might have an impact on weight loss. The only way to know for sure is to remove them for at least a month.

Here is a link on the subject that might be of interest ...

http://expatpaleo.com/general-paleo/...g-intolerance/

Last edited by clackley; 12-06-2013 at 05:17 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks. I didn't buy eggs yesterday, so will go off them for a while. I've replaced cream with coconut or other nut milks. Now my only dairy is butter. Is powdered milk considered "milk" re Atkins?
Old 12-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Like others have said, yes eggs can cause you issues if you are allergic or intolerant.

Peanuts are a pretty good food too, unless they can kill you.

Allergies and intolerances can range from "epi pen or you're dead" to an annoying stuffy nose. If you have what seems like a mild intolerance with a mild outward signs, there may be more going on on the inside that you don't realize.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't buy eggs yesterday, so will go off them for a while. I've replaced cream with coconut or other nut milks. Now my only dairy is butter. Is powdered milk considered "milk" re Atkins?
Powdered milk is defatted, ie skim, and is very high in dairy sugars like lactose and casein. It's not Atkins approved dairy for all but the much later rungs of the OWL ladder - essentially premaintenance and maintenance. Poor choice overall.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
For some people, eggs are inflammatory and the inflammatory response can impede weight loss. One way to tell is to completely eliminate them for 30 days, then reintroduce them and see what the response is. Sensitive people often have autoimmune disorders and can tell right away on reintroduction if eggs are a problem.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afcgirl
WOE: Southbeach/Atkins
Start Date: February 22, 2004
I lose best when I eat eggs. So no I don't think it will impede your weight loss.
afcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

It's been 3 days since I've had an egg, and I feel better. I don't know if that will translate to weight loss or not, but I do feel better.
Cathy, Thanks for the link http://expatpaleo.com/general-paleo/...g-intolerance/
Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
My pleasure! What are you replacing the eggs with?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
My pleasure! What are you replacing the eggs with?
Yes, I would like to know this too. I depend on eggs for breakfast every morning in some form.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCdave
Stats: 400/195/195
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Jan. 2000
Quote:

Thanks,
Ella5
I eat a 4 egg omlette every day, it hasnt hurt my weight loss.
LCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
I eat a 4 egg omlette every day, it hasnt hurt my weight loss.
Clearly YOU are not sensitive to eggs, but the OP may be, so she's doing an elimination trial
To find out. We are all different.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I first asked my question about eggs preventing weight loss about 2 weeks ago. I haven't cracked an egg since, and though I haven't been obsessive about it, have kind of eliminated foods with eggs in the ingredient list. (no, I'm not an Atkins purist right now) My weight seems to be dropping very slowly, and today I buttoned a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to for a long time. I undid them within a few minutes, but they were both buttoned AND zipped!
I've been eating either tuna or salmon for breakfast in place of the eggs.
I did make a a decent eggless smoothie one day, lol.
Ella5
Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I plan to continue to NOT eat eggs for a while. I hope this trend continues. Maybe it'll even speed up. that would be nice.
Ella5
Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Definitely keep up your experiment. It might be an egg sensitivity, it might be a coincidence, but if you're seeing results and don't miss them then why mess with success?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Clearly YOU are not sensitive to eggs, but the OP may be, so she's doing an elimination trial
To find out. We are all different.
Right. But the OQ wasn't about an egg sensitivity, it was about eggs in general stopping or slowing down weight loss, because she "read it somewhere."

Of course someone with a problem with eggs in particular will have a different issue than most people.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote