Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Home again -- HOO-boy!

So, I planned to "relax" my plan for Thanksgiving travel...
By Friday? I couldn't zip my jeans anymore!

Come morning, it's back on-plan... and on the scales. At least I'll have some water-weight to lose, to get me started. ~rolls eyes~

The good thing about my "lapse" is that it was planned, and finite. And that I can't WAIT for induction, tomorrow!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Welcome back to low carb Literate! You will lose that weight in no time. By Friday or Saturday, you will be as good as new.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
One of the things that makes me happy on this LC woe, 10 months in, is that I have found I can have the occasional treat day as long as I jump right back on plan the next day. Works for me, still losing weight, slow but sure.

As someone who intends to make this a life style, with high hopes for that, I simply know I'm not going to NEVER have a "treat." And, I'm not going to treat a holiday night the same way I do every other night. For me, there has to be a space where one enjoys food without worrying about it. Still, having said that, I did much better this Thanksgiving than usual. Not a LC victory march, but MUCH better Thanksgiving eating than what used to be. Friday of last week, I was right back on plan.

Whatever our individual plans are, it's important that we get right back to them after a night "off" to some degree or another. This is what creates "habit," and habit describes much of how we do everything.

When it is your "habit" to eat LC, and you make the occasional exception, it is just that, an exception. And in my experience, although you may have a few days of bloat to make up for, it's nothing like when I was on a carb lifestyle. And that's what it was. A carb lifestyle.

My lifestyle these days is LC, and an occasional holiday dinner doesn't change that for me---in fact, it's part of what makes for a sustainable lifestyle for me.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
One of the things that makes me happy on this LC woe, 10 months in, is that I have found I can have the occasional treat day as long as I jump right back on plan the next day. Works for me, still losing weight, slow but sure.

As someone who intends to make this a life style, with high hopes for that, I simply know I'm not going to NEVER have a "treat." And, I'm not going to treat a holiday night the same way I do every other night. For me, there has to be a space where one enjoys food without worrying about it. Still, having said that, I did much better this Thanksgiving than usual. Not a LC victory march, but MUCH better Thanksgiving eating than what used to be. Friday of last week, I was right back on plan.

Whatever our individual plans are, it's important that we get right back to them after a night "off" to some degree or another. This is what creates "habit," and habit describes much of how we do everything.

When it is your "habit" to eat LC, and you make the occasional exception, it is just that, an exception. And in my experience, although you may have a few days of bloat to make up for, it's nothing like when I was on a carb lifestyle. And that's what it was. A carb lifestyle.

My lifestyle these days is LC, and an occasional holiday dinner doesn't change that for me---in fact, it's part of what makes for a sustainable lifestyle for me.
Good post!!!!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: createart
Stats: 22/20. 18. 12/10
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: January 1, 2004 / October 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post

An excellent post!
createart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome back LG!

Blue Skies' post seems to 'speak' to a lot of people and I am not arguing it's validity. I am saying that there is another side that is the reality for some of us and that is that 'treats or holiday dinners' can and are the undoing for those of us who are extremely carb sensitive.

The last time I had a regular 'holiday meal' was Thanksgiving 2002 and it cost me 100lbs. and years of struggle. So not worth it.

Last edited by clackley; 12-04-2013 at 06:10 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I tend to agree with Cathy--but this has been a process for me. Early on in my low carb eating, I'd make some exceptions for a holiday meal or a vacation--until I realized that this is really the healthiest WOE for me--and that I actually enjoy my foods and have no need to eat off plan at all--for any reason.

Why would I deliberately choose to eat things that are not good for me?

For Thanksgiving, I had family visiting, and I had a lot of carby foods in the house (I live alone, so I usually don't have anything like that), and I wasn't the least tempted to indulge. I enjoy the foods I eat and can easily abstain from the carbs that are not good for me.

I regard the 'temptations' as simply products of American marketing--i.e., the process of convincing us that we should eat these things--and I view my decisions as resisting marketing rather than the foods themselves.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Why would I deliberately choose to eat things that are not good for me?
For me, it's mainly for enjoyment if I choose to indulge. I balance a little not-so-good-for-me with pleasure. There's a sweet spot that works for me and keeps me generally on plan.
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, regardless of the way they chose to eat!

Quote:
One of the things that makes me happy on this LC woe, 10 months in, is that I have found I can have the occasional treat day as long as I jump right back on plan the next day.
I thought I could do that too. But over time the occasional treat days became closer together, my definition of special occasion became more lax, my allowed "treats" became more carb-laden . . . and I was back to where I started. That's what makes me laugh when people comment on my "willpower." Yeah, right.

So this time around I have redefined what it means to treat myself. Because you are right, thinking I can lead a monk's life with respect to food indulgence is unrealistic. But I treat myself now with extra portions of the low carb things I really like - cream cheese, bacon, cheese, butter - and I enjoy my treats as much as I used to enjoy the sugary and starchy stuff. And I don't have to worry about getting back on plan. It's all a mind game, really, but it works for me.

Quote:
I regard the 'temptations' as simply products of American marketing--i.e., the process of convincing us that we should eat these things--and I view my decisions as resisting marketing rather than the foods themselves.
So do I.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I agree with BlueSkies -- and I've found that I AM one of those people who can have a little indulgence and not have it lead to more.

This trip was "special". First, it involved long travel where I had limited access to food. (Take our flight home, where the food we brought for the flight was confiscated by TSA. My husband was also considered "suspect" for wearing warm winter gloves, but that's another story.) We were over a week, mostly eating what other people provided. AND it was Thanksgiving. AND there are certain foods -- like real NYS MacIntosh apples, or a regional favorite called "Dirt Sticks" (no, it's NOT "just a hot dog") -- that are simply not available in my "normal" life.

Well, I weighed in this morning at 209. And my bullet-proof coffee for breakfast never tasted so good!

One nice thing: Years ago, when I first gained, I had some jeans that I put on one Monday morning and they were roomy... by the end of the week, I couldn't even hope to fasten them.

I've been told over and over by medical practitioners (mostly doctors) that that can't have happened. "That's not medically possible" is the phrase they use.

Well, guess what? It happened this trip, and I have witnesses!! I gained around 15 lbs, in a little over 9 days.

I'm not worried. I'm back on-plan, and loving it. Didn't get my fried pork-fat for lunch -- I actually locked myself out of the house, instead! But lunch was healthy and high-fat. (MAYBE went a little overboard on the salad greens, but aside from that was solid Induction-friendly.)

On Thanksgiving morning, I slipped on the ice and hurt my elbow. No fracture, but very painful, and they gave me Vicodin... Today is the first day I haven't taken any. Well, Vicodin is constipating, and I'm back on my Coconut Oil... and feeling the improvements there already.

Ah, well -- at least I'll get my "Whoosh" from water-weight, now! ~laughs~ And I should be back down to "normal" (what I've held at for the past year -- 195) soon.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote