Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
Strategies to avoid falling off during holiday temptations

I made a decision to stay LC on Thanksgiving...not easy to do, but I did it. Many times, I failed in a situation like this before. This time I approached it differently. Earlier times, I just made up my mind but failed. I wanted to post this not to brag, but to say what my new strategy was since it worked for me after previous failures.

I ate super-low carb for the entire day before, and for breakfast on Thanksgiving. (Actually I fasted through breakfast, because that is what I always do. I don't suggest it unless you are a regular -- being extraordinarily hungry is not a good thing if you're body isn't used to fasting.) I also worked out both days in the morning. I knew that any insulin in my blood was going to cause cravings, and the social pressure as well as my affinity for some sugary "goodness" was going to be too much. I wanted biology to be 100% in my corner because social pressures and just the desire to eat high carb crap were not going to be.

I also had some low-carb cheesecake waiting at home. I could have brought it, but I honestly (and maybe selfishly) didn't want everyone else to eat it, when they could just eat everything else instead. When I wanted some sweets I reminded myself what was waiting for me at home.

I had cravings -- especially some Buckeyes. (Not sure if you all know what the are since I'm from Ohio -- super-sugary peanut butter with a chocolate shell, made to resemble the look of the buckeye nut that are from this area.) In the past, I have allowed myself to have "just one", which became "just one handful", which opened the door to pumpkin pie and more. This time, I just said to myself "this time I know that the easiest one to say no to is the first one."

I'm curious what strategies, besides just willpower, anyone else used to get through these times? Being in a major holiday season, there are going to be many pressures to go off plan. What do you do to stay on track?
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
For me, all I need to do is to think about how awful I'll feel after I indulge. I know that I'll be mad at myself, that I'll be disappointed in myself, and that I won't want to face the scale in the morning. Just knowing that I'll feel that way is enough to make me stay on track.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
"The easiest one to say no to is the first one."
Therein lies a bit of truth. Great job on Thanksgiving.

If I am invited to a social gathering,arriving late and/or leaving early can help me cope. (Sometimes I just don't go, but if I care about the people I make the effort.)

If I feel like food or drink is being pushed, I sometimes just say "maybe later . . . I am just not hungry now." Eating something acceptable before arriving helps me say that.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
For me, it's not about 'willpower' at all, but a matter of informed decisions.

From a book I read, I absorbed 3 principles:

1. I can eat anything I want at any time I choose.

2. What I eat should be consistent with my personal goals for weight management.

3. My choices should reflect my self-concept.

I am in maintenance, so there are times when I allow myself to indulge, but most of the time, I eat entirely low carb and within my caloric limits because I know it is not only healthy for me but the way I feel best. I also know that I have never regretted a choice to abstain.

I never feel 'deprived' because I own my choices.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I need to have LC options available.
Who needs pumpkin pie with the crust when a sf pumpkin pie without a crust is so yummy?
Stuffing? Got that too. Cabbage stuffing with sausage. What a find! Delicious!!
Turnips- delish with butter and cream whipped like potatoes. sweet potatoes with divinci vanilla sf syrup and cinnamon... Outstanding!
Obviously the calories will be a bit higher than a normal day but I remain LC and don't feel awful the day after.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/184/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Calorie Counting
Start Date: January 2012; Recommit Everyday
I stayed OP for Thanksgiving too, and you know how they say running is mostly mental, you have to not give up and will your body through those miles, well it was kind of like that for me.
I worked out the week leading up to Thanksgiving to keep my schedule the same... and really used a lot of self talk- focus talk. Reminding myself why I started this WOE and reinforcing that eating a piece of/whole pie was not an option, if it wasn't going to get me to goal I didn't entertain the though of eating it.
Preparation is the key too! I made sure there were yummy things I could eat and enjoyed so I wouldn't feel like I was sticking out.

I have a pretty bad panic disorder, and one of the keys to managing that is having an established routine and sticking to it, I use this while dieting too.
I kept everything the same as it would be were it not a holiday.

Congrats for staying on plan