Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #31
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
So I'm following the advice I've read on this forum, and went low carb + low cal.

Here are my greatest fears:

- My body will go in starvation mode, and not only won't I be able to lose, but my body will adjust and I will never, ever be able to eat above the numbers I'm at today.

- My mind will go in starvation mode, and I will binge.

I'm not looking for "eat more this less that" answers or questions; just wondering on members' take, or opinion, or experience on my two present fears
It sounds to me as if you have become confused with all the varying opinions offered. While these can be valuable, I do think it is always best to get reliable information from the experts. For that reason, I would suggest that you pick a low carb book and read it cover to cover. There are many out there that are very good (Atkins, Taubes, Lustig, Phinney/Volek etc.).
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:
It sounds to me as if you have become confused with all the varying opinions offered. While these can be valuable, I do think it is always best to get reliable information from the experts. For that reason, I would suggest that you pick a low carb book and read it cover to cover. There are many out there that are very good (Atkins, Taubes, Lustig, Phinney/Volek etc.).
Agree 100%. I stick by Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (1992 edition), because that is what I read. I have seen a lot of advice on here that contradicts it - but Atkins has never done me wrong.

It really doesn't matter what you pick, just pick one and use that as your go-to.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Tofu has a few more carbs than a similar protein source in meat. That's one reason I switched my profile info to "low(ish) carb". I used to eat <15 carbs a day when losing. Now I am happy to stay below 30. I eat a small amount of soy-based products (usually about one serving a day). MorningStar Grillers Prime burger with alfalfa sprouts, Tofurky Italian sausage with low-carb pasta sauce, Soyrizo and eggs.

Mostly I eat eggs (local, small-farm-raised, humane). I use a lot of egg beaters. It's a compromise I hate to make but I reassure myself by telling myself it's only temporary; I have to keep my cholesterol down while I am eating the equivalent of six eggs a day.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
clackley and Aquarius, it's true I'm confused with all the varying opinions offered. I suppose that if I had managed to lose weight since starting LC in March (as opposed to gaining 6 pounds), I wouldn't be asking as many questions. Even basic Atkins 72 raises some questions - for instance, if I follow the book, how come it ain't workin'?

Yes, I do suspect that the weight I'm at is the one my body adores, but I would like to at least go back to the number I started with!

Also, with all the advice, I think that I am - slowly - managing to find my way.

By the way, I thought I was eating "clean" (as opposed to "dirty eating"? How "dirty" can food be - as long as I don't throw it in the mud?) - but realized that NS Jello had aspartame. Would eat it daily. Stopped yesterday. Gained two pounds today.
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
clackley and Aquarius, it's true I'm confused with all the varying opinions offered. I suppose that if I had managed to lose weight since starting LC in March (as opposed to gaining 6 pounds), I wouldn't be asking as many questions. Even basic Atkins 72 raises some questions - for instance, if I follow the book, how come it ain't workin'?

Yes, I do suspect that the weight I'm at is the one my body adores, but I would like to at least go back to the number I started with!

Also, with all the advice, I think that I am - slowly - managing to find my way.

By the way, I thought I was eating "clean" (as opposed to "dirty eating"? How "dirty" can food be - as long as I don't throw it in the mud?) - but realized that NS Jello had aspartame. Would eat it daily. Stopped yesterday. Gained two pounds today.
Good lord! Whyohwy you've gotten some seriously good advice in this thread (I've been following it) and I have nothing to offer but a big fat hug.

The information IS very overwhelming sometimes and it's threads like this one that WILL help you find your own way. Plus by having discussions like these you may be helping other lost and confused folks (like me)

Hang in there, never stop seeking the right way for YOU.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
<deleted> <double post>

Last edited by nikki; 12-02-2013 at 12:36 PM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
SF Jello had aspartame back when Dr. Atkins first wrote his books. It's not a "dirty" food.

Enjoy sugar free jello if it keeps you on plan.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

susan41, thanks for the hug, I think I needed that!

What sucks is being a "good girl" doesn't pay off. Again with WW - when I cheated, the scale told me. When I was "good", the scale told me. With LC, that doesn't apply. In a way, not that bad - I don't have to deal with guilt as much. Frustration, yes - but no guilt.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey there, Why: first of all, I commend you for your continued attempts to stick with a LC way of life since you started in March, despite not getting the results you'd hoped for. Obviously you feel better and/or see the long run health benefits or you'd have thrown up your hands in frustration and moved on long before now.

Here's my thought: we put our poor bodies through so much. And what we sometimes overlook is that it takes our bodies time to adjust and catch up. I think we confuse our bodies when we switch it up too often. Maybe a week is enough for one person to adjust, but for others, our bodies might take longer to realize a transition and settle into the newest changes we've made to it. Believe me, I speak from experience - I was the queen of "try this, now try that..." without giving my body time to catch up. And I definitely get the hunger thing. Also having been on WW in the past, I think it's easy to have a fear of being constantly hungry. I know it's hard to not see results we like on the scale, but consider this: Set your goal for the next 2 months to concentrate on low carb foods, and staying satisfied. No tweaks, no conscious calorie counting. However, do focus on the thought, "am I satisfied?" I found myself taking smaller portions as time went on because I realized I was stuffing myself, legal foods, true, but really eating more than I needed strictly because I was worried about being hungry.

Good luck, and keep posting.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Thanks mainmom. I did get the sense that too much tinkering might not be helpful.

I've also been googling perimenopause and low carb. Yep, like some members said... yikes!