Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Cheat day recovery (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/817815-cheat-day-recovery.html)

aaronk 11-28-2013 05:58 PM

Cheat day recovery

Alright, so today was thanksgiving and I went all out. I over ate so much and it was amazing, as I have not had more than 15 g carbs a day since July. I have lost over 40lbs since I've started and I was just wondering what I could do to recover from my cheat day, because I am almost certain I have knocked myself out of ketosis (without shame, I might add lol)

Trigger828 11-28-2013 06:43 PM

it is ok. I ate what I wanted today. I have the bloat happening :) but I know I will go right back on plan tomorrow. That is what you should do. drink lots of water to help flush out, get back on your normal food plan and just wait for it all to go away. it will not take long. Do not say 'cheat'!! lol for me I knew I was going to have some of the goodies offered at my moms house. I had some but now I am ok with that decision and right back on plan as if it never happened. Within a few days it will all be back to normal for you if you don't make a huge ta-do out of it. I won't. I will quietly go back on plan and all will be fine. I know it will be for you also. GOOD job on that loss to date :)

aaronk 11-28-2013 07:42 PM

Thank you so much. That's really reassuring because I felt as though I have had some great momentum going and I don't wanna loose it!

mojocat 11-28-2013 07:47 PM

Trigger that's some of the best advice I have ever read. I'm going to copy it word for word for my notes.

Happy Thanksgiving to our American diet buds - hope you have had a good one and back on track tomorrow just as Trigger advises.

Ntombi 11-28-2013 09:08 PM

Yep, drink water and eat super-cleanly for the next several days. You may retain water but don't worry about it. You'll get back into ketosis and back to losing fat soon.

Hot Tamale 11-28-2013 11:04 PM

I agree - the idea that I cheated messes me up even further. Try to look at is as a one-time/one-meal indulgence and don't look back. I, too, will be drinking extra water and eating even fewer carbs tomorrow...not to mention the 4.5 mile walk/jog I will do in the morning. :)

mojocat 11-29-2013 01:41 AM

And if you just have a coffee in the morning before your walk, no creamer, no breakfast, nothing, just black coffee you will be directly burning what you ate yesterday. (Think of your indulgence as carb back-loading aka John Kiefer).

Trigger828 11-29-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronk (Post 16699893)
Thank you so much. That's really reassuring because I felt as though I have had some great momentum going and I don't wanna loose it!

Yea I know that feeling :) everyone has a few detours in their road to goal. if we just swerve a bit around them, just stay on plan without over-thinking all of it, within a few days you are back where you want to be and didn't have to stress over it. I know a few times I went off plan for an occasion I beat myself up real good over it and it made it 100 times worse to get on plan. I realize now just get on plan and forget it and ALWAYS MOVE in a forward direction toward your goal.

Mojocat----I used to get crazy over an indulgence and it would set me back alot. mind games ya know LOL now I realized it is ok to have a detour but one must just get on the plan, relax, work it clean, and all falls back into place quickly. after all, it is a long journey we might as well enjoy it vs. total mind stress.

Hey, on that black coffee. I never heard that about helping the body burn it off. You know my Mom drinks black coffee all day long. sipping. she has done this her whole life and she is 85 now. she never had a weight problem and she can eat :) I swear I think that has something to do with her weight management. It was interesting to read that.

nolcjunk 11-29-2013 05:38 AM

I stayed on plan but the best thing you can do is go right back on plan and not repeat this for a while.

Because otherwise you will get stuck in a cycle of doing well/losing, then go off because you know you can lose it again, waste time losing that new weight, go off again, waste time losing that new weight, so that 6 months later you will not have lost any new weight. I have seen this firsthand with a friend that I vacationed with. She decided to go off for one day and up until that point she was losing very well and had lost something like 50 pounds. Well she kept going off all summer and fall and then had to keep re-losing that weight. So now at thanksgiving she was the same weight she was 5 months ago and is upset that she had wasted so much time.

Set a goal for January 1st and stick to it. Time goes on whether we are sticking to plan or not, whether we are losing or gaining. All those cheat meals and cheat days add up and prevent weight loss if you have them often enough.,

Trigger828 11-29-2013 06:31 AM

nolcjunk, that is exactly what I did! Just like your friend. And it is miserable!
I had alot of vacations booked thru summer. Up and down the same stupid weight over and over for at least 3-4 months. I went bonkers and it gets very frustrating and with that happening for a long period of time, one can almost say 'chuck it out the window' and forget this :) I had to struggle to get back onto a 'good losing' plan again. I am back now and doing ok but that up and down can be such a mind game to the max.

I don't want to repeat this summer ever again. I got a taste of what it is like to go up and down and lose the same lbs over and over for a long time. I don't like it and will take all steps to MOVE forward down the scale at all times now.

nolcjunk 11-29-2013 06:37 AM

I'm glad to hear that you're back in the game.

I think the hardest thing for her is just being bewildered that she mostly stayed on plan, and she doesn't feel like she went off enough to justify it. But, her eating plan was basically how I eat in maintenance so I told her to just stop messing around, do what needs to be done, and then she can have higher carb days at goal. I can have a higher carb day, be up 2-3 pounds the next day, go back to my regular diet and be back at goal the day after. But, I probably only do that once a week max. It's so much easier when those 2 pounds are your gain, rather than 2 extra pounds, plus another 40 to lose.

Trigger828 11-29-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16700067)
I'm glad to hear that you're back in the game.

It's so much easier when those 2 pounds are your gain, rather than 2 extra pounds, plus another 40 to lose.

thanks.

You said it!!! 2-4 lbs at goal to lose is way diff when ya got that extra 40 to finish off!

Gatton 11-29-2013 06:56 AM

I blew it. I was doing okay, but I drank too much beer. My good judgment went out the window. After the meal, I went to the hors d'oeuvre table and went crazy with cheese, crackers, and hummus. It could have been a lot worse, I guess. I really don't care for sweets, so I had no problem avoiding the pies.

I'm a bit hung over this morning, and my stomach is upset. I'm having strong black coffee with coconut oil. Then, I'm going to ride my exercise bike for 10 miles, and walk a mile on my treadmill. I'm going to have eggs mid morning. I'm going to lift weights this afternoon. I'm having a bacon wrapped tenderloin steak and broccoli this evening.

I expect to feel a lot better tomorrow!

micheleredit 11-29-2013 05:11 PM

I did the same as everyone else!!!

Ate way too many carbs and feel awful!!!! Totally was not worth it and will not be doing this on Christmas Day LOL.

There has to be some good holiday LC recipes out there??

Ntombi 11-29-2013 06:36 PM

Not everyone by a long shot! Many people stayed on plan for Thanksgiving, including me. I have no regrets about not eating carby stuff yesterday, and no plans to eat off-plan on Christmas.

And yes, there are a ton of LC holiday foods, for all courses. There have been many many discussions about recipes and new LC traditions in the LC recipe help section.

Blue Skies 11-30-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16699868)
it is ok. I ate what I wanted today. I have the bloat happening :) but I know I will go right back on plan tomorrow. That is what you should do. drink lots of water to help flush out, get back on your normal food plan and just wait for it all to go away. it will not take long. Do not say 'cheat'!! lol for me I knew I was going to have some of the goodies offered at my moms house. I had some but now I am ok with that decision and right back on plan as if it never happened. Within a few days it will all be back to normal for you if you don't make a huge ta-do out of it. I won't. I will quietly go back on plan and all will be fine. I know it will be for you also. GOOD job on that loss to date :)

:goodpost: Love this part, "if you don't make a huge to-do about it," meaning guilt and anxiety over what's done.

I don't think of these as cheats either, they are very occasional indulgences that I enjoy. And for me it's become very simple, no big "to-do," you just jump right back on plan the next day with lots of water to boot. These days I find getting back on plan a relief after a rare treat meal.

kempmuhlbauer 11-30-2013 12:09 PM

Trigger hit the nail on the head. Don't make a big deal out of it. I have gained and lost the same 70-80 pounds 4 or 5 times. This go round I am not making a big deal if I fall off. In the last 39 days I fell off over a hunting weekend. Instead of freaking out I enjoyed myself, got right back on plan the next morning and moving on. It is a marathon not a sprint. I use to beat myself to death when I cheated and it just let to self loathing and thought of I would never get the weight off. Now If I do cheat planned or not, no big deal moving on. Lots of great advice from everyone on this thread. Lots of water and if you are able exercise a bit, it helps burn off those carbs you just ate. Good luck.

mojocat 11-30-2013 12:33 PM

Getting back on track with exercise asap is important as well. It just seems to draw the line for me, increases the endorphins so I feel happier and really works on the mind and body to get back into it. Especially after a big feed it gets the system moving haha. You don't have to go hard, do resistance or HIIT. Long, slow walks, the emphasis on long, with music in your ear, walk as long as you can in one direction, turn around and come back. I guarantee you will feel better and back on track.

kempmuhlbauer 11-30-2013 04:34 PM

Well said MOJO.

Trigger828 12-01-2013 04:42 AM

It is so true guys. Beating yourself up over it, dwelling on it longer than ya should and all that mess just makes it so much harder to get back on plan.

like Kemp said, self loathing. I did that. all over a small bit of food and that feeling could extend not getting back onto plan.

when I relaxed (finally :)) it all falls into place. my usual saying now is 'move forward' at all costs. what ya ate is over and done with, get moving forward now!!