Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MNicoleBolt
I'm so sick and doctor attributes to induction

Please help me understand what could be happening to my body. I have been on Atkins induction for 3 weeks, and I have been a high carb addict all of my life. My body feels completely different using fat for energy and I felt great after adjusting to the change. Last week I started back into my gum routine and my body felt unusually exhausted after the fourth or fifth day. The next day I began to feel terrible and no energy. Next day I began the most severe diarrhea I've ever had and I can't keep any food on my stomach. I just drank a glass of water and 5 minutes later I'm in the bathroom. I have never seen such disgusting stuff come out of me even when I did the master cleanse before. A friend of mine who is a doctor says my body is having trouble digesting all of the meat, fat and protein I'm eating now. He says I need a small amount of carbs to get my energy levels back. He says I need to eat jello until my diarrhea goes away. Thing is, I'm scared to eat carbs! I'm afraid I will gain 10 pounds. I am severely dehydrated to the point of going to ER tomorrow. I have no fever or mucous. Any advice or similar stories?
MNicoleBolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
Just try to keep drinking fluids. Homemade bone broth maybe? SF Gatorade. It sounds like a virus.
As far as the exercise goes, I would recommend you read the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Phinney and Voleck.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I recommend clear broth, and maybe like cfine said some SF Gatorade. You need to get fluids in you and your minerals back in balance. I definitely don't think it has anything to do with LC and I also think you have a virus of some sort. Go to the DR, and get your stool tested. Don't mess about with severe diarrhea, it can be dangerous!

I once left it too long, and had a camphylobacter infection and spent months trying to recover. Please go to your Dr.

Get well soon!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I am not a Dr. but does not sound like it has anything to do with LC. Have you been on antibiotics recently?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
The exercise will get easier in time. It took me about eight weeks to feel decent while running and training for a marathon.

I agree that what you're describing isn't a low carb symptom.

Hope you start feeling better and Happy Thanksgiving.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Sounds like that vicious stomach virus that's been going around to me. I'd try the broth, sf jello and either sf gaterode or powerade zero. Hope you feel better soon!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just chiming in to say I agree that this does not sound like induction flu. Really don't let it go on - see a doctor. Feel better soon.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I'd reinforce the part about minerals . . . . sodium and potassium in that order.
Diarrhea will rob you of the sodium as does the keto die. Broth is a great way to get the sodium. Be careful of the magnesium as it may worsen the diarrhea in the short run.

Not medical advice, just my opinion.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
There's a nasty stomach virus going around here (FL) which kinda sounds similar. I'm not a doctor, but I'd bet this isn't low-carb related at all. Drink sf Gatorade and some broth and get to a doctor if it doesn't improve... A lot of people have a lot of reasons to bash low-carb - very few of those reasons are valid. Feel better!!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 210/189/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13
This is all great advice - I would reiterate how important it is to keep yourself hydrated while ingesting the proper minerals and electrolytes. A LC diet is a natural diuretic, so coupling that with severe diarrhea may spell trouble quicker than you think. Bone broth is magical!
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MNicoleBolt
Thank you all so much for your advice. I drank broth all day and ate jello, and I feel a little better. I ate the regular jello which has 17 carbs and I'm freaking out but I think it's working. Thank you again. Happy thanksgiving.
MNicoleBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Boboelink
First of all I hope you are feeling better. I read you've been on Induction for three weeks. Since two weeks was recommended, perhaps it is time to up some carbs (but the ones recommended in low carbing).

Also, be aware if you are eating any artificial sweeteners like Malitol or those that end in "ol" -- they can cause severe diarrhea and gastrointestinal woes!

Just a thought

Maybe you need some/more yogurt to add good bacteria back into your system.
Boboelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaisMama
Stats: 219/206/healthy
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 01/01/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNicoleBolt View Post
Please help me understand what could be happening to my body. I have been on Atkins induction for 3 weeks, and I have been a high carb addict all of my life. My body feels completely different using fat for energy and I felt great after adjusting to the change. Last week I started back into my gum routine and my body felt unusually exhausted after the fourth or fifth day. The next day I began to feel terrible and no energy. Next day I began the most severe diarrhea I've ever had and I can't keep any food on my stomach. I just drank a glass of water and 5 minutes later I'm in the bathroom. I have never seen such disgusting stuff come out of me even when I did the master cleanse before. A friend of mine who is a doctor says my body is having trouble digesting all of the meat, fat and protein I'm eating now. He says I need a small amount of carbs to get my energy levels back. He says I need to eat jello until my diarrhea goes away. Thing is, I'm scared to eat carbs! I'm afraid I will gain 10 pounds. I am severely dehydrated to the point of going to ER tomorrow. I have no fever or mucous. Any advice or similar stories?
Nicole, could you tell us what you are eating typically on Atkins? Anything you never ate before the diet? Maybe you are having an allergic reaction of some type.
KaisMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNicoleBolt View Post
Thank you all so much for your advice. I drank broth all day and ate jello, and I feel a little better. I ate the regular jello which has 17 carbs and I'm freaking out but I think it's working. Thank you again. Happy thanksgiving.
I'm happy you're feeling better! I hope, though, that you don't think it's the jello. I'm putting my money on the broth and time. I think you are just getting over the virus.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote