Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I'm so sick and doctor attributes to induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/817782-im-so-sick-doctor-attributes-induction.html)

MNicoleBolt 11-27-2013 07:37 PM

I'm so sick and doctor attributes to induction

Please help me understand what could be happening to my body. I have been on Atkins induction for 3 weeks, and I have been a high carb addict all of my life. My body feels completely different using fat for energy and I felt great after adjusting to the change. Last week I started back into my gum routine and my body felt unusually exhausted after the fourth or fifth day. The next day I began to feel terrible and no energy. Next day I began the most severe diarrhea I've ever had and I can't keep any food on my stomach. I just drank a glass of water and 5 minutes later I'm in the bathroom. I have never seen such disgusting stuff come out of me even when I did the master cleanse before. A friend of mine who is a doctor says my body is having trouble digesting all of the meat, fat and protein I'm eating now. He says I need a small amount of carbs to get my energy levels back. He says I need to eat jello until my diarrhea goes away. Thing is, I'm scared to eat carbs! I'm afraid I will gain 10 pounds. I am severely dehydrated to the point of going to ER tomorrow. I have no fever or mucous. Any advice or similar stories?

cfine 11-27-2013 10:48 PM

Just try to keep drinking fluids. Homemade bone broth maybe? SF Gatorade. It sounds like a virus.
As far as the exercise goes, I would recommend you read the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Phinney and Voleck.

Mimosa23 11-28-2013 12:50 AM

I recommend clear broth, and maybe like cfine said some SF Gatorade. You need to get fluids in you and your minerals back in balance. I definitely don't think it has anything to do with LC and I also think you have a virus of some sort. Go to the DR, and get your stool tested. Don't mess about with severe diarrhea, it can be dangerous!

I once left it too long, and had a camphylobacter infection and spent months trying to recover. Please go to your Dr.

Get well soon!

sarahatl 11-28-2013 05:43 AM

I am not a Dr. but does not sound like it has anything to do with LC. Have you been on antibiotics recently?

BigRunner 11-28-2013 05:53 AM

The exercise will get easier in time. It took me about eight weeks to feel decent while running and training for a marathon.

I agree that what you're describing isn't a low carb symptom.

Hope you start feeling better and Happy Thanksgiving.

princessmommy 11-28-2013 06:33 AM

Sounds like that vicious stomach virus that's been going around to me. I'd try the broth, sf jello and either sf gaterode or powerade zero. Hope you feel better soon!

clackley 11-28-2013 06:35 AM

Just chiming in to say I agree that this does not sound like induction flu. Really don't let it go on - see a doctor. Feel better soon.:console:

Patience 11-28-2013 07:39 AM

I'd reinforce the part about minerals . . . . sodium and potassium in that order.
Diarrhea will rob you of the sodium as does the keto die. Broth is a great way to get the sodium. Be careful of the magnesium as it may worsen the diarrhea in the short run.

Not medical advice, just my opinion.

Hot Tamale 11-28-2013 08:02 AM

There's a nasty stomach virus going around here (FL) which kinda sounds similar. I'm not a doctor, but I'd bet this isn't low-carb related at all. Drink sf Gatorade and some broth and get to a doctor if it doesn't improve... A lot of people have a lot of reasons to bash low-carb - very few of those reasons are valid. Feel better!!

pulchritudinous_j 11-28-2013 10:59 AM

This is all great advice - I would reiterate how important it is to keep yourself hydrated while ingesting the proper minerals and electrolytes. A LC diet is a natural diuretic, so coupling that with severe diarrhea may spell trouble quicker than you think. Bone broth is magical!

MNicoleBolt 11-28-2013 01:38 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice. I drank broth all day and ate jello, and I feel a little better. I ate the regular jello which has 17 carbs and I'm freaking out but I think it's working. Thank you again. Happy thanksgiving.

Boboelink 11-29-2013 06:14 AM

First of all I hope you are feeling better. I read you've been on Induction for three weeks. Since two weeks was recommended, perhaps it is time to up some carbs (but the ones recommended in low carbing).

Also, be aware if you are eating any artificial sweeteners like Malitol or those that end in "ol" -- they can cause severe diarrhea and gastrointestinal woes!

Just a thought

Maybe you need some/more yogurt to add good bacteria back into your system.

KaisMama 11-29-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNicoleBolt (Post 16699225)
Please help me understand what could be happening to my body. I have been on Atkins induction for 3 weeks, and I have been a high carb addict all of my life. My body feels completely different using fat for energy and I felt great after adjusting to the change. Last week I started back into my gum routine and my body felt unusually exhausted after the fourth or fifth day. The next day I began to feel terrible and no energy. Next day I began the most severe diarrhea I've ever had and I can't keep any food on my stomach. I just drank a glass of water and 5 minutes later I'm in the bathroom. I have never seen such disgusting stuff come out of me even when I did the master cleanse before. A friend of mine who is a doctor says my body is having trouble digesting all of the meat, fat and protein I'm eating now. He says I need a small amount of carbs to get my energy levels back. He says I need to eat jello until my diarrhea goes away. Thing is, I'm scared to eat carbs! I'm afraid I will gain 10 pounds. I am severely dehydrated to the point of going to ER tomorrow. I have no fever or mucous. Any advice or similar stories?

Nicole, could you tell us what you are eating typically on Atkins? Anything you never ate before the diet? Maybe you are having an allergic reaction of some type.

rubidoux 11-29-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNicoleBolt (Post 16699725)
Thank you all so much for your advice. I drank broth all day and ate jello, and I feel a little better. I ate the regular jello which has 17 carbs and I'm freaking out but I think it's working. Thank you again. Happy thanksgiving.

I'm happy you're feeling better! I hope, though, that you don't think it's the jello. I'm putting my money on the broth and time. I think you are just getting over the virus.