Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Planning for LC Thanksgiving (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/817779-planning-lc-thanksgiving.html)

paid4c4 11-27-2013 05:56 PM

Planning for LC Thanksgiving

I've been losing and don't want a sever set back. It isn't worth to me to go pig city tomorrow and set my weight loss back a week or more. I would still like to enjoy the holiday just do it LC wisely. Here's my first draft; turkey, green beans, salad, small portion of sweet potato, small piece of pie without crust and a couple of adult beverages without mixers. While the sweet potato and pie are a compromise I will limit portion size and doubt if anyone will notice I'm eating differently than everyone else. Now that said we all know "the best laid plans of mice and men" sometimes goes awry. All I can do is try, so here goes. Good luck to everyone who is trying to make wise LC decisions for Thanksgiving.
Bill

Biochic 11-27-2013 06:03 PM

I'm staying on plan too. I have made all LC options for myself while my family will be served the higher carb version.

I made LC "stuffing" using cabbage, sweet potatoes using divinci vanilla syrup and cinnamon, turnips, broccoli w cheese, turkey and cranberry sauce using real cranberries and truvia. Dessert will be crust less pumpkin pie.
I will not have mashed potatoes or biscuits but I'm pretty sure I won't miss them!

Happy Thanksgiving to all:)

Lil Donna 11-27-2013 06:46 PM

I am in a weight loss challenge at work and this week I met my goal x 6!!!

I do NOT want to put these lbs back on.

It is only myself, DH and 2 dd's so I have total control what goes on the table. I didn't even buy rolls this year and I love bread! DD is making sweet potato casserole which I don't care for. Were having green beans which are fine. Turkey and ham and then my downfall... mashed potatoes. I believe I will just have a small portion of those. I hope.

I need to keep focused!!!

BumbleStang 11-27-2013 11:25 PM

My sister is hosting this year and while her initial menu had me dreading the temptations (turkey, ham, corn on the cob, stuffed manicotti, pea salad, yams, stuffing, mashed potatoes), she emailed me a revised menu substituting steamed green beans for the corn, a green salad for the pea salad and omitting the stuffed manicotti. I'm excited there are actually things on the menu I can eat now aside from the meat!

I'm bringing my own no-bake cheesecake and jalapeno poppers from recipes I found on this board.

I think I got this. :)

Mimosa23 11-28-2013 12:45 AM

Why not make a cauliflower mash instead of sweet potato or mashed potatoes? Saves on carbs, won't throw you out of ketosis and tastes delicious!!! I like mine with cheese on top, broiled for a few minutes until the cheese is all golden brown and bubbly... YUM!

Also, to get a thicker type sauce/gravy, I find guar gum an exellent binder, without the carbs!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

Catzmom 11-28-2013 05:50 AM

I figure on turkey (lots of it!), low carb stuffing that I will make today, salad, low carb gravy that I will also make myself, and a sugar free pumpkin pie. Mashed potatoes will be my big temptation... I can't stand cauliflower so there are really no good subs for them.

clackley 11-28-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catzmom (Post 16699412)
I figure on turkey (lots of it!), low carb stuffing that I will make today, salad, low carb gravy that I will also make myself, and a sugar free pumpkin pie. Mashed potatoes will be my big temptation... I can't stand cauliflower so there are really no good subs for them.

It is probably too late now but for future, have you tried mashed celeriac? It is moderate carb and if mixed with cauli, really produces a very rich and flavourful mash (and reduces the carb count).

I always make l/c cranberry sauce for thanksgiving. It is a real treat and makes it feel special.

princessmommy 11-28-2013 06:30 AM

Staying on plan today too. We have 2 places to go And eat today so it'll be a mine field of HC foods for me to walk through! I plan on sticking with turkey, brocolli casserole and I made a lc cheesecake that i'm Praying turned out good!
Happy Thanksgiving!

kay9 11-28-2013 04:13 PM

is bloated but stayed on plan w/ the exception of no portion control.

Catzmom 11-29-2013 12:29 PM

The only place I blew it was with mashed potatoes, which I knew would be my downfall. Ah, well. Pick up and move on! Not going to beat myself up over one holiday meal.