Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
How to minimize the crappy feeling from 'treating' myself on Thanksgiving

I will start by saying, I have made the decision to eat off plan for Thanksgiving tomorrow. The last time I had a 'treat' meal was several weeks ago at a wedding.

I am a normal weight, non-diabetic female in my early 30s. I've been in ketosis mostly non-stop for months. I just want to make sure I don't cause any major damage to my body when I eat carbs tomorrow! I don't want to feel too crappy.

Any tips? I will probably eat some crackers, potatoes, stuffing, corn and a small slice of pie. I am going to stick to smaller portions. I just don't want to feel like I'm going to die after I'm done eating.

I know alcohol has a blood sugar lowering effect, so I'll have a little of that. You know. Purely for health reasons.

I will also drink a lot of water.

I will also try to eat proteins and low carb veggies first.

Any other ideas?

Right back on plan on Friday!!

Happy turkey day to you all. =)
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Personally I don't ever get the dramatic physical symptoms reported by a lot of other people. I don't usually choose to eat higher carb foods, they aren't part of my regular maintenance diet. But when I do eat something higher carb, I never have these extreme withdrawal symptoms described by others. I just feel and look a little heavier/puffier due to a few pounds of water retention, which I know will come off within three or four days at most (and it always does).

But, I don't eat several things at once like you are planning to. If it were me, I might pick one or two things I wanted to include. I would rather not do a whole big carb fest or a whole day of eating off plan because I know I can have any food I want any time I choose, if I do choose, so really there is nothing urgent about trying to eat as many things as possible in one day.

I really doubt you will feel too crappy unless you eat a lot, which you are not planning to do. You won't cause any major damage, it's not heroin, it's just food. Psychologically, you are the only one who knows how easy or difficult it is for you to stop yourself when you've had a reasonable amount and how easy or difficult it is to get back to normal eating. That's the main thing.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
My only "advice" is: don't pig out.
If you like Granny Mable's potato casserole, have a spoonful not a cup.
If you really like Aunt Agnes pecan pie, have half a piece, not a whole one.
Little things like that can help alleviate the typical Holiday "pig out coma".
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Yep, I agree. I think a lot of times, people feel terrible because they ate way too much and that just does not feel good no matter what kind of food it is. Take a few bites, see if it's really worth it, enjoy it if it is. No big deal, since the OP says she is a normal weight non-diabetic person.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I don't get any symptoms either if I overdo; sometimes I wish I did..........!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Good advice, guys, thanks. I don't have a problem controlling myself - once I start. So I'll keep my portions reasonable. =)
Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/140.8/149
Start Date: restart 8/13
Ugh..I pay a huge price....kudos to you who dont
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
It sounds like you feel confident that you can indulge a little today and then jump right back on the wagon. I think you'll be fine. I'd say lots of water throughout the day can't hurt and might stop you from over-indulging if it came down to it. After all, they say it isn't what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas that counts, its what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving! Not to say I mean have a feeding frenzy for a month, but rather a few indulgences if you can handle it wouldn't be the end of the world... (that said, I don't handle those indulgences very well, so I will be extremely limited in what I pick to eat.) Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
208 / 201 / 174 (-20)

Last edited by Hot Tamale; 11-28-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gatton
Tonight, I will have turkey, broccoli, and some Coors Light. I know from experience that if I have just a little mashed potatoes, stuffing, and pie; it will probably lead to a bit of a binge. I'll feel terrible after. I'll also probably be sluggish for my workout tomorrow morning, too. Eating the bad stuff in moderation doesn't work for me.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
We're having ham this year. Since this will be a quiet day for us, we decided to make it an easier one. That said, I'm making sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and corn, as well as rolls. Those will be our high carb items for the day. Well, there's the pumpkin pie, too, but for some reason, it no longer tempts me. Everything else will be LC friendly. I intend to hold aside a small portion of sweet potatoes for myself and eat them plain.

Recently, carb creep has been a problem by way of "just two tortilla chips", "a 1" slice of pizza", etc. But I've remained in ketosis and bounced around 2-3 pounds higher than my low. I'm ready to put an end to that.

Everybody is different, and we all have different motivations. I'd have to say that my primary motivation is health. Lack of weight loss the past 6-8 weeks doesn't really frustrate me, but it is an indication to me that I'm stepping over some boundaries. It's all part of a learning process. But still, I am more interested in keeping my blood sugar stable and my stomach lining intact. I've learned that the 1" slice of pizza is like pouring battery acid in my stomach--but not until the next day (or four). But I can make a "pizza casserole" with everything except the crust and I'm fine. So, that harmless little roll at dinner tonight is very harmful to me.

This is my long way of saying that today won't be much different than any other low carb day for me. And I will still enjoy my meal immensely! The price of going "off plan" is simply too high!

Hope you are all having a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! I'd better make my way back into the kitchen!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Well I survived. I kept my portions small, and tried to focus most of my effort on the turkey. I did, however, eat a few too many pepperidge farm cookies after dinner. felt a little bloated, and my heart was racing a little. Funny thing is, even after all that food, I am hungry now! That never happens when I stick to plan. Too bad I left my turkey leftovers at my Aunt's house. Maybe I'll eat some yogurt before I go to bed. Have to get up for work tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great time with friends and family!

Last edited by GingerAnn; 11-28-2013 at 08:17 PM..
Old 11-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
I ate non-plan foods (stuffing, dates and mashed potatoes ). I am sure the gravy had starch and sugar. Just ate really small portions. I think I stayed under 100 grams of carbs. Not GREAT but not out of control. No dessert.

Alcohol always kills me though. I can't do wine or beer anymore because of my migraines so anything with fake sugars really intensifies the effect of alcohol. It takes me a coupe days to "use it up" I think. Though I did was pretty reckless and drank champagne with cassis. Sugar and wine. I prayed for no headache. I was fine. Just really tipsy.

Today--just regular food plan.

I feel fine. though look a little pregnant.

Water weight. It will go away.

Back to the drawing board.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I didn't over eat but ham makes me retain water for days.
I feel pretty good about my choices though
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbedD View Post
Ugh..I pay a huge price....kudos to you who dont

Me too!!! For the next three days I feel awful and hungover!!!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Best "cure" might be a good plan to do a better job getting through the next round of holidays.

At your age that might not be necessary, but at mine it is!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I did OK on Thanksgiving, not great. Didn't carb binge, ate LC mostly with a few treats, but ate a lot. But the meal was wonderful and so was the company and I have no regrets. Getting back on plan the next day is becoming very reflexive for me. No cravings for carbs, I'm lucky that way, and in fact it feels good to me these days to jump right back on plan.

If you can have a treat day now and then, Thanksgiving is a good day to do it, imo. For me it was a reminder I don't want to eat like that most of the time, and I didn't do half the damage I would have done a year ago before I started this woe. I can feel I've really changed my eating habits, another great NSV.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote