Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Moonchild
Stats: (272 first go around) 219/190/180
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart Sept 02, 2013
Where are strawberries on the carb ladder?

I found some strawberries at the grocers yesterday marked down to 0.37 cents. I guess they removed the bad ones because there was about 20 perfect med. strawberries in the container. I would LOVE to have 1-2 of them myself .. but not at the risk of messing up what I am trying to accomplish.

I have been eating the LC WOE for almost 3 months now but have stayed on induction.

Also, I am a diabetic. Would 1-2 strawberries mess with sugar much? I believe they are fairly low on the glycemic scale .. right along with raspberries.

I was thinking 1-2 cut up into a salad with a few pecans would be lovely.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
well, of course they are not on induction. but if you are eating pecans you are already moving into OWL...

I think you should try one and see. there isn't any magic about them being fruit... it would probably be fine. just see how you react. if you have a strong urge to polish off the whole batch, you might want to flush them down the toilet and learn a lesson!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I have not been eating pecans yet .. but am wanting to add a few nuts back in. I have been drinking nut milks though .. almond and pecan. Hmmm .. so maybe I am not on induction after all. Just induction level regarding carbs. I stay around 15 or less. More than likely I will never go up to more than 40 ever.

Hmmm .. I think I will have just a romaine salad for supper tonight with 1-2 strawberries on it and then test my sugar. I imagine as long as it does not spike .. nor cause me to crave .. I should be okay.

Only one way to be sure! Kinda scary really .. adding things back in. Not so scary I wont try it though. LOL
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I eat strawberries. But I put them into a food processor and mix with a bit of splenda. I eat about 2 tablespoons of that as a spread or topping, not many carbs at all. You can also mix it with fiber and water, like glucomannan powder to even further reduce the carb content. It will function as a makeshift homemade jam or strawberry syrup depending on how much powder you use. There is some type of vitamin or mineral in strawberries which is a good reason to include them in your diet.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Nuts are not on induction? Does anyone have an induction list of things that you can eat?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
Nuts are not on induction? Does anyone have an induction list of things that you can eat?
buy the book

in regards to strawberries - 40 on the GI, so not too bad and 1/2 cup is around 6g carbs...
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84k View Post
buy the book

in regards to strawberries - 40 on the GI, so not too bad and 1/2 cup is around 6g carbs...
What book? I have south beach?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Quote:
you mentioned induction, so I presumed you're trying to do atkins...
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pixiegirl01
Stats: 155/122(134)/119 - 5'2" (47YO)
WOE: Low Carb Babyyyyyyy!
Start Date: 04/17/2006
Quote:
sarahatl, the Atkins book would be the best resource - I would recommend "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" or the original "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution: The High Calorie Way to Stay Thin Forever" (1972 Edition) over newer versions, which were written after Dr. Atkins' death and may endorse using "Atkins" products, such as bars and shakes that sometimes stall people.

However, the Atkins website does have information about the different phases (you'll see phase 1 induction acceptable foods link at the bottom of the page):

Jump Starting Weight Loss

Also, Linda Sue has a great recipe website, and all induction-friendly recipes are marked with an asterisk:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
If you want to do Atkins, reading the book is a good suggestion. There are also induction threads here and a lot of helpful people. Nut are a big no no on induction, as are fruits.
Nuts have pros and cons: one of the cons is that portions can be hard to control as they are so very tasty. In quantities more than a child-size handful they are also carby and caloric. Atkins indicated that berries and nuts were one the first things one can add back after induction (if I remember what his books said). You'll need to determine whether you can add nuts and berries and not overeat them. Nuts are more problematic for me. I love them, but avoid them for that reason.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I did great! I ate one sliced medium strawberry and 2 chopped pecan halves on my salad and loved it. I did not have a significant increase in my blood sugar at all. WooHoo!

Up to now the only nuts/seeds I have had since LC WOE has been some pumpkin seeds. I adore those and 1 serving suffices. I know Atkins had recommended macadamia nuts but I can't eat those because they are entirely too expensive here and also because I have absolutely no portion control with them ... I could easily eat the entire jar without blinking an eye.
Moonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiegirl01 View Post
sarahatl, the Atkins book would be the best resource - I would recommend "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" or the original "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution: The High Calorie Way to Stay Thin Forever" (1972 Edition) over newer versions, which were written after Dr. Atkins' death and may endorse using "Atkins" products, such as bars and shakes that sometimes stall people.

However, the Atkins website does have information about the different phases (you'll see phase 1 induction acceptable foods link at the bottom of the page):

Jump Starting Weight Loss

Also, Linda Sue has a great recipe website, and all induction-friendly recipes are marked with an asterisk:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

Good luck!
Thank you pixie! I have looked at Linda's recipes...they are great. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Of all the fruits, the berries are the lowest in carbs, and hence the lowest in sugar. Strawberries, blackberries and raspberries are the lowest in carbs.

Although I have great respect for Atkins, I do low carb my way, no induction lists or OWL lists. I know the carbs in the foods I eat, and how many carbs a day I shoot for---for me it's 25 to 30 a day.

I need variety in my diet, and I need some fruits. Berries do it for me, and one of my fave desserts, if I can afford it in my carb count for the day, is berries in cream w/a splash of splenda and a drop of Torani's SF vanilla syrup. YUM.

I do have reason to be concerned about my blood sugar, so I'm no unaware of this. But for me, I have to do this in a way I can do it for life. And I'm not cutting out fruit for life. So I say, find a way to make the healthiest LC fruits work for you now and then.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pixiegirl01
Stats: 155/122(134)/119 - 5'2" (47YO)
WOE: Low Carb Babyyyyyyy!
Start Date: 04/17/2006
Quote:
Thank you pixie! I have looked at Linda's recipes...they are great. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome... glad I could help
pixiegirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote