Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Chocoholics Anonymous. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/817749-chocoholics-anonymous.html)

LadyKT 11-27-2013 07:45 AM

Chocoholics Anonymous.

I seriously need to admit myself to a Chocoholics Anonymous, if such a thing exists! :annoyed:

I'm back on LC, eating ham & cheese omlettes, bunless cheeseburgers & chicken legs (with skin!), drinking morning coffee w/ heavy cream with absolute joy!

Just one problem.

I ALWAYS WANT SOME TYPE OF CHOCOLATE. Yesterday, it was Lindor Truffles. Today it's M&Ms.

...and sadly I gave in to those things.

I have no idea why this is happening. It's bugging me out too. I don't even know what to substitute it with - I try to make something legal (i.e. coconut bark) and its just gross to me :( I tried making cheesecake - again, with splenda it's just absolutely disgusting to me. If i make a real cheesecake, it comes out great. LC cheesecakes come out spongy :-/

I'd do great if it wasn't for this stupid chocolate craving.

Can anyone suggest SOMETHING to either take its place or to rid of the cravings?

Perhaps a diet soda/Davinci detox is in order...I am a bit heavy on the diet soda & Davinci syrups... :dunno:

Mimosa23 11-27-2013 08:03 AM

is TOM due for a visit?

I like adding a little cocoa powder to my creme fraiche and almond butter that I eat for breakfast. It is not like regular milk chocolate, but it helps satisfy the craving.

On the other hand, I think you already nailed the root of the problem: sweet tastes.

I would suggest that you could try and stay away from anything containing artificial sweeteners and sweet tastes for a while, it may get rid of your chocolate cravings too!

Good luck!

xx Mims

Ocean 11-27-2013 08:46 AM

You probably are better off just doing without and getting it out if your system. I have heard many people say that eating a dill pickle helps get rid of the cravings. That being said, I am a chocoholic too. I know many folks frown on Atkins bars but I pretty much have one a day. My new favorite is their fake M and M's.

LadyKT 11-27-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 16698561)
You probably are better off just doing without and getting it out if your system. I have heard many people say that eating a dill pickle helps get rid of the cravings. That being said, I am a chocoholic too. I know many folks frown on Atkins bars but I pretty much have one a day. My new favorite is their fake M and M's.

I have a dill pickle daily. Doesn't help. But thanks for the suggestion!

I remember reading in DANDR that Atkins suggests l-glutamine for sweet tooth. I may have to try that.

Patience 11-27-2013 09:38 AM

Is it the chocolate or the sugar that comes with the chocolate.
You could try unsweetened bakers chocolate.
Could also try cocoa butter . . . a bit chocolatty.

LadyKT 11-27-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patience (Post 16698622)
Is it the chocolate or the sugar that comes with the chocolate.
You could try unsweetened bakers chocolate.
Could also try cocoa butter . . . a bit chocolatty.

Most likely the sugar. But it's chocolate i'm craving. Not just 'something sweet'.

LoriAS 11-27-2013 09:51 AM

80% cocoa bar (1 square) dipped in peanut butter. Not the best LC snack, but for under 5 carbs and it is at least keeping you low in carbs.

I personally mix a little sucralose in my peanut butter to make it even sweeter and it tempers the bitterness of the dark chocolate. It sounds to me like you are craving the milk chocolate though.

Mistizoom 11-27-2013 10:50 AM

If you want actual chocolate, I really like the ChocoPerfection bars, and also some of the HealthSmart Chocolite products are good. They don't have any sugar, sweetened with erythritol and maybe stevia IIRC.

Spanilingo 11-27-2013 10:57 AM

Don't know your carb count for the day but a piece of really good chocolate might be for you. Or maybe one sugar free Hersey bar?

While I pretty much don't do sweet anymore , I use to eat a piece of Atkins meal bar to satisfy sweet. Now , I just would rather eat something less processed but smaller amount to satisfy a desire.

LadyKT 11-27-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16698709)
Don't know your carb count for the day but a piece of really good chocolate might be for you. Or maybe one sugar free Hersey bar?

While I pretty much don't do sweet anymore , I use to eat a piece of Atkins meal bar to satisfy sweet. Now , I just would rather eat something less processed but smaller amount to satisfy a desire.

While that sounds good, im a binger so i cant trust myself with even a small amount.

Chocolate Rose 11-27-2013 06:08 PM

I was also going to suggest a good quality, high cacao content chocolate. I'm also a chocoholic and thought I'd have to give up chocolate. But, I'm finding by eating the dark, dark chocolate that I don't have a problem with over doing it. Just a little square is enough for me. Sometimes I heat up some cream and add the chocolate to it and stir until melted. YUM!
I think that the other thing that helps is once you've been lc for a while the actual cravings go away. It's more a mind game with foods - you're used to (or at least I was) wanting things and even if your body isn't craving them your mind is telling you that you still want them.
My favorite dark chocolate right now is Green & Black organic 85% dark chocolate (Walmart even carries it. I also really like Trader Joe's 85% Chocolate Lover's Chocolate. It might be worth a try once you've been lc for awhile. Since they don't have very much sugar, they shouldn't feed into that addiction.

girondet 11-27-2013 07:15 PM

At 70% cocoa and higher I am satisfied with a very small amount. I like to have some almost every day. Milk chocolate never satisfied me I realize now and I just couldn't leave it alone. When I tried it again recently it was nearly tasteless to me. Palates can change, with time and new habits. I thought of myself as a chocoholic too.

dgidaho 11-27-2013 08:38 PM

I second the Chocoperfection bars. They are an indulgence for me--not in carbs, but in price. Another option, however, is to make your own chocolate. I found a recipe on Carolyn Ketchum's blog for Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almond Bark that is outstanding! It's pretty rich and satisfying--and easy to make! I added a little extra erythritol to the recipe because I like my chocolate a little sweeter. It sort of crystalized and made these nice little "crunchy-toffee-type-things" mixed in the chocolate. Everybody loved it! If you decide to give it a try, read through the blog post as there are some tips included.

Punkin 11-28-2013 08:49 AM

I use unsweetened bakers chocolate mixed with splenda, then I add coconut or nuts to it to make it into a bark. It kills any cravings I have for anything sweet or chocolately. Last night I made my own peppermint patties and they were good, but not too good. That is what you want. If your food is too good it is just feeding the carb addiction.

LadyKT 11-28-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16699553)
I use unsweetened bakers chocolate mixed with splenda, then I add coconut or nuts to it to make it into a bark. It kills any cravings I have for anything sweet or chocolately. Last night I made my own peppermint patties and they were good, but not too good. That is what you want. If your food is too good it is just feeding the carb addiction.

Oh..i :heart: peppermint patties. Do you have the recipe?

Catzmom 11-30-2013 06:23 AM

I can feed a chocolate craving with a protein shake with sugar free chocolate syrup added. Tastes like a McDonald's chocolate shake!

SitLongTalkMuch 11-30-2013 07:12 AM

One square of Lindt 90% Chocolate with a few macadamia nuts cures my chocolate craving.

Lil Donna 12-01-2013 05:56 PM

I need my chocolate too!

I have 1 Russell Stover Sugar Free Chocolate after lunch and after dinner.
They have a variety of different flavors and on sale I can get them for $1 a bag.

I figure if it helps me from jumping off the wagon then it is okay with me.

However, some people have really bad side effects from eating these. Of course I believe that is because they eat the whole bag. Some people don't lose on them. I have not had a problem at all. I've never eaten a piece of chocolate so slowly and enjoyed it so much!

Hope this helps.

LowCarbRachel 12-01-2013 08:05 PM

I just have a square of real chocolate after dinner. It's about 4-5 carbs if you get the good quality dark chocolate. I've tried the chocolate bark, but I'll eat a ton of it to try and satisfy a craving that could be satisfied with a piece of dark chocolate instead. Sometimes I'll eat a few almonds or walnuts with it, too. I consider this to be an important part of my plan.

Big Stevie 12-03-2013 04:24 PM

Just bought a dark chocolate bar from Trader Joes. Just gotta be careful with it and eat one or two squares.

I also eat heavy whipping cream beaten with coco powder and splenda. It does the trick as well. No carbs. But watch the calories.

Woman Typing Badly 01-02-2014 06:27 AM

I mix ricotta cheese, pecans, coco powder and splenda in a small bowl, sometimes with a splash of SF vanilla davincis. No baking, instant chocolate mousse like stuff. It's reallyyyyyy gooddddddd!:love:

Yvonnem2000 01-02-2014 07:00 AM

Almond flour, unsweetened baking chocolate, butter, vanilla, Splenda. Microwave til the chocolate melts and stir it all together. It's like eating brownie batter.

Crazy Cat 01-02-2014 12:45 PM

I struggle with this all the time. I hate the artificial sweeteners so SF chocolate or syrups don't help. I'm doing induction now, but in a few weeks I'll add in a couple squares of dark chocolate each night. I buy the dark chocolate miniatures by Hersey and 1 or 2 usually does it.

cfine 01-02-2014 04:02 PM

I like the Chocoperfection bars also.

Psmileyf 01-02-2014 05:11 PM

90% Lindt Chocolate is what I have been eating.

realwinner 01-05-2014 09:01 PM

I'm Craving Too....My Quick Chocolate Fix

So here's what I will make.
It's kind of a Chocolate Brownie Pancake.
Mix together an egg, a touch of cream, flax seed meal, cocoa powder, vanilla, and sweetener.
Add nuts of your choice.
Then drop spoonful's of mixture into hot oil-coated pan, like making mini pancakes.
Cook on each side until done. Store leftovers in ziplock bag in fridge.
Yum. :love:

realwinner 01-05-2014 09:40 PM

Ooops...just discovered that I was out of HWC so I substituted Sour Cream that I thinned with water. Delicious! Then I tripled the recipe to ensure that I did have leftovers!

Bluqq 01-06-2014 04:15 AM

Usually when you crave something it is because your body is deficient in something. Google chocolate cravings and magnesium deficiency. I was the same until I started supplementing with liquid magnesium. Pill form didn't cut it at all