Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denene
emotional eating

ok foor the next two month i am dealing with alot of emotions and last night i went on an emotional binge (not as bad as in the past but still not good ) does anyone else struggle with this and how do you handle it? the trigger last night was some stuff that is going o with my adult kids and my husbands going against everything i beleive by what he is saying and his going into skinflint mode over Christmas. I know things will be tight but most of the presents i will be making myself i see what the struggle is comming he can be difficult at times (like all of us) but between tring to overcome feelings of the past )growing up thanksgiving and Christmas were always a tramatic time for me I have gotten past some but there are still some triggers I have talked to a councillor but it didnt help any ideas ?
denene is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi denene
There are several threads about binging and I can assure you, you aren't alone! Do a search. You will find plenty of folks with the same struggle.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
I am an emotional eater too. There is a lot of drama in my daughters life right now so I know it will be a rough holiday season. My plan is to have plenty of legal foods prepared. I am allowing my self to overeat as long as I stay legal.

I find that I don't overeat as badly if I know that it is ready and waiting for me. I am also keeping celery and peanut butter handy for my crunchy desires.

Fix a cheese cake. Have some asparagus / ham roll ups made. Get some dill pickles. Look at the appetizer section of the recipe room. Make whatever sounds good to you and keep them handy.

You may gain a little from eating to much, but you won't have to go through the trauma of falling off the wagon and fighting your way back.

You can do it. Holidays are rough for lots of us, but do-able. Come here to blow off steam when necessary.

Last edited by halos; 11-26-2013 at 05:30 AM..
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffles
Stats: 112.2/106.7/65kg
WOE: leptin reset , OA
Start Date: 11/11/13
I am an emotional eater as well and what has been helping me is overeaters anonymous. It is fantastic to be able to talk to other people who really get what the issues are and have been able to change.
muffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Denene, the holidays are emotionally deep spots for a lots of us
You are not alone. Eating (and drinking) seems to help, but in the long run does not.
Sending you a hug. Light a candle, take a walk, have some herbal tea, treat yourself to a book or magazine. . . . find what will lift you into a lighter place.

Come here and vent, if that helps ... always some compassionate ears hereabouts.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I'd second the advice to take a walk. Exercise relieves some of the stress I have and makes me feel a bit better. You can either take the time you exercie to listen to music that will help you take your mind off things or you could take the time to think about things and come up with a plan of action to help. Good luck - I wish you the best!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
yea emotional eating is a nasty critter. it can hit full force and very very fast. I don't do it as often anymore, but I can go from 'ok' to 'eating the whole kitchen' in a nano-second.

get out of the house is a good one. if stressed, walk. anywhere. put on a coat and get outside. piddle around the garage, walk the yard pick up a bit of trash, hand trim a bush a bit, walk around and do ANYTHING

and for me key is LEARN TO LET IT GO. let go of the negativity of others. learn to say 'whatever' with a smile on your face. it is what it is. you can't really change others so don't bother trying! just let it happen but don't let it get into your head.

I am kinda a control freak. I want things done my way most days. It gets tiring being me truly. as I get older (52 in a few days) I learned that the more I let go, nothing bad really happens, and I feel way less stress. situations come and go, my mental health is more important. The older I get the more I let things go. I am doing that more and more and accepting it. letting things slide and 'just happen' and then I move forward and forget about it. after all, we can only handle so much. pick and choose what is really important to you and focus on that. let the stupid situations just slide by and believe me it works if you let it.

hang in there. we all go thru stress times. we all must find ways to cope with them.
good advice is on the board!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Just what you said, Trigger.
I picked my user name with that sentiment in mind.
No doubt we have challenging times, all of us.
We can exercise choice over how we respond.
I am not always successful, of course.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote