Old 11-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gingerfurball
Stats: 204/192/150....5' 9"
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: 01/02/14
What made it finally *click*

Apologies in advance if this is long!

I looked around my office and my book shelves the other day and came to the conclusion that many, many of my books and magazines are diet related. I've been overweight all my adult life since having our kids (25, 22 and 20) - I have successfully lost weight in the past (lowest probably around 165) but always put it back on again - sometimes with interest!

I have done so many diets...WW, Slimming World (UK based), fasting, shakes, Paleo, LC, Atkins....many, many, many diets! I could lecture in nutrition (in fact I did actually run my own diet and exercise classes at one time )

The only one I'm comfortable on is LC - I think I have some kind of intolerance to carbs...I come out in itchy patches on my skin if I have too many carbs in my diet (plus I break out in FAT!!) but have not stuck to it to the completion and reached goal weight - and cheated and gained again.

I'm just wondering - if an adult (reasonably intelligent and mostly happy) woman who has failed so many times in the past...could I finally get it together and lose this weight! What would it take for this time to be THE time it works??

(I have actually realised that not planning meals in advance wasn't helping so I have breakfast and lunch with me in the office today - and I have updated my stats to reflect the truth)

Please tell me if any of you were in the same position and what helped.

Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.4/130
WOE: M/E
You know, I've only once had to lose what I'd consider major weight in my life. And for me, that was going from 172lbs down to 130lbs. This was back in 2003, and I kept it off for many years until I joined the army in 2006. It bounced around about 15-20lbs, and sometimes more. But I eventually managed to slowly settle in at 140lbs. Then, I ended up taking the Depo shot in April 2011. Worst. Idea. EVER. I gained weight FAST. I mean 25lbs in a month, and my weight kept going up! By then, I was already out of the army and trying to work on finding a civilian job, and go to school.

I wish I could say it was seeing 203lbs for the first time in my life, or that it was because I always feel uncomfortable in my skin. Or heck, even that I need to lose weight and get in shape if I ever want to become an officer.. and oh I'm on a deadline to pass the army HT/WT. But nope. For me, it was that an old army friend told me he'd be in the area in a few weeks, and I turned him down because I didn't want him to see how out of shape and fat I have gotten. Not only that, I haven't seen ANY of my old army friends. I feel ashamed that I'm not the skinny girl I used to be. So, since Saturday, I've been doing very well sticking to plan. Only yesterday I thought of straying, and I remembered how badly I felt.. so I went to the store and ate provolone and hard salami. Needless to say, I ate both packages, LOL, but I did stay on plan!
IWasMadeThisWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
I know where you are coming from...I told myself I wasn't going to buy anymore "diet" books or magazines! At least until I got rid of some older ones, lol.

My BMI was over 30, I was facing surgery(thyroidectomy)and I work in medical records. No way did I want my medical chart to state that I was "obese"! Also turned 50 this year and told myself I was going to get at healthy weight and stay there! After years of yo-yo dieting, I thought, "why work that hard just to gain it all back?" It's still a struggle but just coming to this site and knowing that there's many in the same boat helps a LOT.
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasMadeThisWay View Post
You know, I've only once had to lose what I'd consider major weight in my life. And for me, that was going from 172lbs down to 130lbs. This was back in 2003, and I kept it off for many years until I joined the army in 2006. It bounced around about 15-20lbs, and sometimes more. But I eventually managed to slowly settle in at 140lbs. Then, I ended up taking the Depo shot in April 2011. Worst. Idea. EVER. I gained weight FAST. I mean 25lbs in a month, and my weight kept going up! By then, I was already out of the army and trying to work on finding a civilian job, and go to school.

I wish I could say it was seeing 203lbs for the first time in my life, or that it was because I always feel uncomfortable in my skin. Or heck, even that I need to lose weight and get in shape if I ever want to become an officer.. and oh I'm on a deadline to pass the army HT/WT. But nope. For me, it was that an old army friend told me he'd be in the area in a few weeks, and I turned him down because I didn't want him to see how out of shape and fat I have gotten. Not only that, I haven't seen ANY of my old army friends. I feel ashamed that I'm not the skinny girl I used to be. So, since Saturday, I've been doing very well sticking to plan. Only yesterday I thought of straying, and I remembered how badly I felt.. so I went to the store and ate provolone and hard salami. Needless to say, I ate both packages, LOL, but I did stay on plan!
I know this is off topic, but I am fighting the results of depo myself and it's encouraging to hear others talk about it with the same issues.

I had my first shot in May, I blew up to 250, august I had second shot, started LC at about 235, my stats say 225 because that's when I weighed and to be fair I had already cut out all sugars and breads so highest was 250ish and now I'm 199 after very on plan struggle with an 8 week stall. The side effect of bleeding constantly and relentlessly every. Single. Day. For months combined with the inability to lose weight even though I'm completely on plan has made the decision of never having another depo shot again easy.

I go next week for another shot, which I won't be getting, so discussions of other methods is going to be on the table for me and my practitioner. Thank god it's almost over.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post
I know this is off topic, but I am fighting the results of depo myself and it's encouraging to hear others talk about it with the same issues.

I had my first shot in May, I blew up to 250, august I had second shot, started LC at about 235, my stats say 225 because that's when I weighed and to be fair I had already cut out all sugars and breads so highest was 250ish and now I'm 199 after very on plan struggle with an 8 week stall. The side effect of bleeding constantly and relentlessly every. Single. Day. For months combined with the inability to lose weight even though I'm completely on plan has made the decision of never having another depo shot again easy.

I go next week for another shot, which I won't be getting, so discussions of other methods is going to be on the table for me and my practitioner. Thank god it's almost over.
I have never taken depo, but have read so many stories of women who have had similar results as you guys. I also have major hormonal issues though, so I totally relate. BCPs were not kind of me over the years either. I have a few friends with the implants (various kinds) and have heard some real horror stories there as well.

I wanted to recommend the book, "Taking Charge of your Fertility." You can find it at the library, so no need to buy, but it really is an interesting read. I've learned so much about my body and I'm comfortable not using BCPs, shots, or implants. I'm not messing with my hormones anymore!

ETA: I forgot to answer the original question! LOL. I too have been on too many diets to count and all I've done is mess up my metabolism (hopefully not permanently). It took getting sick (thyroid and nerve pain) to really make me reevaluate what the heck I was doing. I'm only 33 and have had nerve pain since about 30? Too young to feel like I'm going to be crippled by 40. Last year, I started working on just maintaining my weight (something I had never done). After about a year and a half of being successful (and even losing 5 or so lbs), I eliminated gluten as a trial and BAM nerve pain mostly gone. So, that made me realize diet is even more important than I realize. I'd rather maintain 10 or even 20 lbs above my "goal" weight, as long as I'm healthy...and healthy means I'm not on the yo yo cycle. Healthy means that I'm eating a good diet of foods that I enjoy (and very reasonable amounts of those foods) while maintaining my weight. Healthy means not having debilitatiting nerve pain. Healthy means my hormones are not out of whack. Diet is extremely important to keep me healthy. I'm not perfect (who is?), but it's something worth working towards.

ETA (again) - just realized my stats are off and I need to change them. 165? I wish. . My hormones are out of whack again and thyroid went kerplooie, so in 6 weeks or so, i've gained 20 lbs (last time I weighed myself). Disappointing, VERY, but I'm trying to not focus on the weight and HEAL myself. This is why I'm not weighing myself or cutting calories at this time. I'm watching my food and portions while focusing on hunger cues, but if I start counting and restricting, I'm likely to make myself crazy. First step, heal my body, then I'll worry about the rest.

Last edited by DD80; 11-20-2013 at 07:12 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
It took a major health scare for things to finally click with me. I have every diet book known to man and was guilty of buying those check-out magazines that promised I could lose 14 lbs in 2 weeks. I blamed my weight on my screwed up hormones....I still do give them credit for a majority of the gain. Last February I was told that I might be facing cancer. When I started researching it, I discovered that it was all because of how I was living. This cancer was estrogen based and being overweight, I had an over abundance of estrogen. I have two young daughters that need me. I didn't necessarily plan on going low carb as much as I decided to do away with sugars and processed foods. It eventually ended up being low carb and I feel so much better for it. A pathology report showed that I had pre-cancer so the surgery was done in time. But it was the wake up call that I needed.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I've been on and off Atkins since 2002. The first time (which was my first ever diet, though I was in my late twenties and had been fat for most of my life), I lost over 80 lbs and was well in my way to goal when illness and several other life crises hit and seriously derailed me. Since then, I have tried to get back to that same groove, but I really wasn't ready like I was that first time. I wanted to be ready. I thought I should be ready. But those aren't the same as actually being ready to commit long-term.

This time, I was ready. I took a good long look at myself, at my health, at the health history on both sides of my family, and realized that if I didn't make some serious changes, I was going to regret it horribly for the rest of my life. I turned forty this year, and it was time for me to finally grow the heck up. I was aready ill with several conditions that were not under my control, but if I continued the way I was going and developed diabetes or heart disease or anything else preventable, I was going to be SO DAMNED MAD at myself.

So I grew up.

I went back on plan January 3, and am focused the health aspect at least as much as the weight loss. I am doing this to prevent the type 2 diabetes that runs deep on both sides of my family (all developed past middle age), and the heart disease that is not uncommon on one side. Also, beyond the growing body of evidence showing ketosis is very healthy long-term, there is nascent research on the benefit of ketosis for certain diseases that affect the brain and central nervous system. I need all the help I can get in that area too.

I'm in this. There is no other reasonable option.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
For me, it wasn't some medical scare, and that should have been clue enough that I needed a change. There were several times over the last 10 years where I almost died from one medical complication or another, and it STILL wasn't enough for it to "click" with me. I simply had to be ready for the change. I did every plan known to man (only a slight exaggeration) and always gave them my all, but always failed within a few months. I would throw in the towel, even when I was having good results.

My turning point came when I finally found a plan I could do long-term and forevermore. I realized that I don't do well with long periods of restriction, so imagine my surprise when I found a plan where I only had to restrict every other day! I'm now two years in and far lower than my original goal weight (175 was my ultimate-I-know-I'll-never-reach-it-but-I-have-to-aim-for-something weight). I'm maintaining comfortably, and enjoying my life and my food choices.

I think the ultimate test of any plan is whether or not you can do it for the rest of your life. If that's low carb, or low fat, or calorie counting, or whatever, you have to know it'll work for you and that you can continue doing it even when you're "done" and at goal. It's a never-ending process.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
LC all the way baby. It is a plan I can eat satisfying foods, decadent meals, alot of it and lose weight and be happy with the eating plan long term. No other 'diet' did this for me.

I lost 70 lbs years ago. gained back 50. no one can make it on low fat/low cal. for very long usually. So I went along with 50 lbs back for a few years and what clicked for me was----I am done with it!!!! I started 'diets'. Nothing worked. I went lc because I read up on the foods LC people eat and it is the foods I love. I figured if I like the food and amt of it and decadence of it, then maybe I got a long term chance.

I will never snack out on white flour breads again, junk foods in front of the tv, pasta, bleck, banana splits and all that stuff. sure I am going to backslide a bit and eat a few things I consider higher carb, but in general my eating patterns have changed for life. I won't go back to the old way simply cause I could not stand to do this again no way am I every 'dieting again' after losing this weight. lc long term! that's the ticket for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
My book shelves must look like yours. I really do love to read about health, how others did it, why this or that works. But, I've known since reading the book and doing Atkins the first that it was for me. So, yep, I can lose the weight, but keep it off? Good luck. I certainly can talk the talk. That's for sure. I was going to be thinner and healthier by the time I hit 40. Hahaha! Didn't happen. So, for the last thirteen years I've been bouncing around, reading, bouncing. Trying to find my way.

Then, about a year and a half ago my oldest DD, her BF and I all went on MediFast. I had a SIL in who was doing it and really liked it. I decided to go to the Dr. to have everything checked. When he walked in and said I was diabetic, you could have picked me up off the floor. I rejected his reality. Started MediFast, exercising, etc. low and behold lost 40lbs dropped my A1c from 11.4 to 5. Everything improved. So. I finally had proved it to my self that it works. (MediFast is some what low carb). Didn't keep that off either though.

So, here I am, almost 53 and still fighting this demon. Only this time I know what's waiting for me if I don't win. And even though I'm not losing, I know, I'm eating right for me. I'll figure out the weight.

So, to answer your question, it was seeing what is going to happen if I don't do this as a lifestyle. Don't let that happen to you. It does work, you will be healthier. Don't wait until you get slapped in the face. But, like Ntombi said, you have to be ready, that's what it took for me to finally be ready and be committed.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.4/130
WOE: M/E
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post

I only took one shot and it took forever for my monthly to go back to normal. But even now, it's still not normal as it was before. I swear I couldn't have lost at during that first year no matter how hard I tried. I'm finally able to again, but I'm being more disciplined this time, and I'm seeing a personal trainer too. She actually recommended that if I go back to birth control to ask about non-hormonal options since there are pills like that, and will curb the effects of gaining weight.
IWasMadeThisWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
My daughter is going away to college next September. Our whole family struggles with overweight, and my oldest daughter found lc/paleo and she is now very healthy. She worries about me all the time. She said, "I hope you don't call me at school from the hospital one day." One night after too many hard ciders, a huge pile of chinese food and halloween candy, I decided to stop all of it, do a complete 180, and completely get healthy. For me, that meant stopping alcohol, going lowcarb, and beginning to exercise. That was 11/1/13. I know its early in this game. But I'm in it, and sometimes just being "in it all the way" is enough, even if its only been 20 days.

Its my last chance to show my children that I'm strong enough to do what's hard but necessary.

Its also my last chance at a good life for myself.

I'm 44 years old and it was time to get busy living or get busy dying. I chose the former.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote