LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Is your food for fun or fuel?

Do you look at food as a "necessary evil" and something you have to consume for life/health? Do you look at food as something that is necessary but should always be enjoyed and eaten for the taste and pleasure? A combo of the two? Has going low carb changed your attitudes?

My DH is a total "food consumed should be yummy and emotionally satisfying" person. Low carb is very hard for him. He can barely make himself eat when he is hungry unless he thinks he is hungry for the specific food on his plate.

I can be that way (can we say PMS?! ) but I am more of a "food is fuel only" sort of person. Going low carb and gluten free has forced me to give up a lot of foods that used to make me feel emotionally good...cause they made me feel physically like crap. I enjoy the food I eat usually, but sometimes I am just hungry and a boiled egg must suffice.

I was wondering how the rest of you look at food and how your relationship with food has or hasn't changed during your low carb experience.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
When I first started 'dieting' a loooong time ago, I felt that I was mostly successful because I stopped looking at food as pleasure and started looking it as fuel.

As time has gone on and my taste buds have changed, I now find a lot of pleasure in the low carb food that I eat.

I still, however, rarely eat for pleasure.. unless I have my period. In which case I eat low carb chocolate even when I'm not hungry. Because period badger don't give a s**t. It just does what it wants.
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Although I don't really view food as 'fun' the taste of food has always been important to me and I really take sensory pleasure in eating food that tastes good to me. Like your husband, I don't like eating food that I don't find appealing. However, nutritional value is also very important to me and I really want to eat in a healthy manner, so in that sense I eat for fuel. I suppose I'm one of the 'combo' people.

Unlike your husband, however, I am fortunate in that I have found my low carb meals to be delicious and I eat them with gusto. Is he really not enjoying the food he is allowed on a low carb diet or is he just missing the high carb foods he used to love? If it is a matter of missing certain carbs, I think time will solve that issue. If he really doesn't like the taste of low carb foods the situation seems more complicated. Maybe he just needs to play around with the low carb menus a bit; it seems there are many foods to choose from and it is difficult to believe he doesn't like any of them. Maybe he could try making a list of his preferences and pick the low carb options from that list of favorite foods. And then try out some different, more appealing recipes. Experimenting with new menus and new tastes can be fun and interesting.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I insist that my fuel be fun.

I enjoy the sensory pleasure of eating and I enjoy the creative process of trying new techniques and coming up with new variations on old favorites. I will not give those things up. In low carb, I have found a framework where I can create and eat delicious foods, lose weight, and feel great.

Do I eat for purely entertainment purposes? No. I don't even eat for emotional reasons. But I will never view food as simply fuel.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Exactly~~ I love cooking too much to only see it as fuel!!! It is a hobby, it is family time, it is holidays, it is creative. Right now, low carbing is a challenge. I love rewriting my recipes to make them lc. I love the look on my family and friends faces when they taste something that I have made and they love it.

On the other hand, I no longer eat to just eat. I respect the food and my body a lot more
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Food and cooking are a huge part of my life. I respect them and therefore don't want to mindlessly eat things that are not delicious and/or nourishing. Shopping, cooking and freezing take up most of my Friday and Saturday afternoons. I feel great with a freezer and fridge filled with nourishing low carb foods. I also eat out often and find that I can make great choices, enjoy being social, and still lose weight.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I look at it as both. fun and fuel. days that aren't social etc. I just use the fuel. But there are times I want to enjoy the food and friends and good times. There are days I don't care about food and days you can't get me to stop thinking about it I am a foodie and taste is the most important thing. fuel or fun, my food has to be good. I want that in my life.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I used to eat mostly for fun, and that left me feeling miserable the rest of the time (bloated, fat, tired, avoiding social situations). Now, I eat for fuel about 95 percent of the time- whole foods, cooked at home. I enjoy the taste of my food but it's just that, food. I don't think about what sounds good and what I have a craving for, I just eat because I am hungry. Sure, I decide whether to roast a chicken or grill a piece of fish but I keep my choices pretty narrow.

And, now I spend the rest of my day enjoying life and getting fun out of that instead of stuffing myself with food for pleasure.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I used to eat for reasons other than nutrition, which is what lead me to here. Now food to me is nutrition and that is it. Having said that though, going VLC made me lose my appetite a bit too much so I added back some carbs. Stuff like some fruit, dairy and veggies that I had previously cut out. Now my diet feels pretty much normal. I just don't eat processed foods, wheat products and starchy veggies. I feel that I now eat like a normal person, good wholesome food. I think the problem before was just not eating enough protein and following a low fat WOE.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Fun and tasty fuel works best for me!
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I used to eat as a reward to myself. Make it through the day, get all 6 kids to bed for the night, and sit down with a pint of Ben and Jerry's. That was my reward. Then after the kids were all gone, it was my reward for getting through a really long day at work. Out to dinner EVERY night, and grilled cheese with French fries and ranch dressing was my favorite.

After 9 months on induction, I really find that I'm eating more for fuel, and less as a reward or as emotional eating. I still make sure that I enjoy the food I eat, but I'm eating more because I need to fuel my body, and not because I'm using it as a treat. I surprise myself sometimes because it's the first time in my entire life that I'm looking at food so differently than I ever have before.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
On the weekends, I definitely define LC as fuel. It's harder for me to stick to it Fri-Sun. On the weekdays, I'm perfectly satisfied, and actually looking forward to my LC meals.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I am totally on the fun side! If food didn't taste so good I would be so skinny!
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
That's me too!
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Food used to be emotional comfort......I still struggle at times.
Using food to do what food cannot do...will probably be a life long lesson for me.
My Mom taught me....by example....how to 'comfort' myself with saying things like..."Isn't that yummy? It makes you feel good."
When you are learning things as a child, you trust those who care for you!

I now focus on the science of Food. It helps me detatch the emotion I used to have.
For example: the recent online summit on gluten: "A Grain of Truth"....
SO MUCH INFORMATION....my Loving Spouse said, "Is your head stuck in that computer?"

....a long time ago I would have dutifully closed the computer and "sought solace in the kitchen"

.....I have learned to stand up for my "needs" more now!
I have learned better to "Listen to the Hunger"....
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/140.8/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
food as fuel.....I eat tasty food..but my day isn't organized around what I eat..Im not searching the world for the ultimate palate experience...food isn't entertainment...eating out is about the social interaction..the laughter ..fun and sharing life....NOW that IS the best!!!! I eat good l/c food....which is secondary to the great times with friends and family..Ive never had a meal that was sooo amazing it beat out the people I was with...

Im a carb addict..and I can say in seriousness....no carb laden food has EVER lived up to its promise of total satisfaction...its never as good or as amazing as my head told me it would be....I am ALWAYS disappointed when I give in...I just give in a lot less so the lesson is sticking better..
goal made 04.04.14
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote