Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
LC er's do you worry about your cholosterol

Hi all: I have been low carbing for a few weeks now. I have been eating eggs/bacon about every day for breakfast because I cannot seem to find anything else to eat for breakfast that would be low carb that I would enjoy (I cannot do leftovers for breakfast....tried just cannot do it). I have been eating more meat as well. I was a vegetarian before starting this way of eating but ate way too many carbs in that lifestyle. Do you ever worry about your cholesterol in this way of eating? Mine was borderline high before starting this WOE. I am concerned it may go sky high with this WOE (I do use organic eggs). I am wondering if I can just go to Dr. and get my cholesterol/sugar checked. Not necessary make an appointment to see Dr. (avoid high copay) but just get the blood tests? I do feel much better with this way of eating - but want to make sure my cholesterol is not too high either. What are your thoughts. New to this but feeling much better-!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Low carb and exercise has my my cholesterol from 240 to 119

HDL and TRI are now normal readings....I haven't my numbers with me.

My LDL is slightly off, but so much better since I'm doing low carb.

Plus my sugar is at 5.7

My recent visit to my cardiologist, he was very pleased with my progress.
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
No, I don't worry about it. Blood cholesterol is pretty much meaningless for me as a health indicator.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Most people's cholesterol improves with low carb. I was once diagnosed with 'high cholesterol'. My doctor now describes it as "fantastic". I eat no more than 20g carb, 55g of protein and the rest in good animal fats and a bit of avocado and olive oil. In my 5th year.

The whole lipid hypothesis has really failed us as a population and even though I have good #s now,I am really only interested in my tryglicerides. The rest seems pretty irrelevant.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I don't worry about it at all.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: girondet
Stats: Maintaining 125-128, 5'5"
WOE: Bernstein/paleo
Start Date: May 2009
I have had the same experience with numbers improving since I started low carb. My triglycerides lowered by 100 points or so. My HDL went up with more animal fat and my LDL went down with more coconut oil. My husband used to be on statins. He wasn't overweight, just had high lipids. Since he began eating like I do he has been off all lipid medications and has very good lab work.

I now cook with bacon fat and coconut oil, put lots of olive oil on my salads.
girondet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lowcarb-Lea
Stats: 205/127/120 (5'5.5" tall)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2001
Hi, (mainly a lurking person but had to come out and say)....Congratulations on trying the low carb way of eating! I've been doing the Atkins way of eating for over 10 years.....here are my most recent chol. numbers:
(2013) chol. 159, Tri.-58, HDL-63, LDL - 84.....(in 2004 my Tri. were 21)

I've read Atkin's books and believe in his way of doing low-carb. I also read a lot of Dr. Eades' (protein power) information on his blog. I've made low-carb eating a lifestyle change for me and my health has improved because of it.....and for the question at hand.....NO, I do not and never had worried about my chol. numbers on low carb...

Good luck! Let us know what your chol. numbers are when you get them checked. Lea
Lowcarb-Lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I've never worried about it. I worry about it less now that I have read most of "Grain Brain" by Dr. Perlmutter.

1) Blood cholesterol is not a proven indicator of heart disease risk. In fact, based on data on actual heart attack patients, you are just as likely to suffer one with "good" cholesterol numbers as "bad."
2) They have steadily reduced the target numbers since the advent of statin medication. Used to be you were considered high-risk for heart attack if your total was 240, you smoked and were sedentary. Now they want to go to 180 independent on other risk factors, basically because statins will get you there
3) Higher blood cholesterol levels apparently reduce your risk of brain related disorders. Your brain NEEDS cholesterol to function properly and has a method of producing it if needed. Statins impact the ability of your brain to produce cholesterol, as well as your liver.
4) From everything I've read about low carb by people who understand the science, it should in fact stabilize your cholesterol to a healthy level. Is that less than 180? Probably not, but see #2.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Not in the least.

Google "sad Saga of Saturated Fat | Art and Science of Low Carb" and "cholesterol levels: are they really that important Eades" for some good information on how the American public has been hoodwinked regarding cholesterol. Basically, the science doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Enjoy your eggs!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I agree with all the posts I don't worry about it. I think the whole cholesterol scare, was just that. To get more people on more drugs...

But welcome to the carnivore side!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
In a word,no.
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I had high cholesterol levels prior to LCing. I don't know how high because I basically ignored the problems for years. After being LC for about 7 months, I had my levels checked and everything is in normal range. Everyday for breakfast I eat 2-4 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs. I'll also eat 4 deviled eggs for a late night snack. I'm now trying to get my dh to go low carb. He has high cholesterol and is on meds but is opting to go low fat.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogMom View Post
I had high cholesterol levels prior to LCing. I don't know how high because I basically ignored the problems for years. After being LC for about 7 months, I had my levels checked and everything is in normal range. Everyday for breakfast I eat 2-4 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs. I'll also eat 4 deviled eggs for a late night snack. I'm now trying to get my dh to go low carb. He has high cholesterol and is on meds but is opting to go low fat.
Thanks BulldogMom....that makes me feel better! I never liked eggs but am sure getting used to them since I eat them every day.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
No, I don't worry about it at all. For many reasons listed above.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Short answer: No.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
The whole lipid hypothesis has really failed us as a population and even though I have good #s now,I am really only interested in my tryglicerides. The rest seems pretty irrelevant.
I am not worried either, but just really curious about the triglycerides. Mine were 66 a couple of weeks ago (after 7 months being low carb) and used to be borderline high before low carb. I was happy about the drop, but am curious as to why you're really only interested in them. Are they more predictive for anything in particular? (I love understanding things....that's why I'm asking.)
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

The only reason I ask is that my cholesterol was 220 before LC and I rarely ate meat or eggs. Now on LC I eat meat, eggs and bacon almost every day so I was concerned. Thanks for all the replies...this board is so informative and supportive.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgidaho View Post
I am not worried either, but just really curious about the triglycerides. Mine were 66 a couple of weeks ago (after 7 months being low carb) and used to be borderline high before low carb. I was happy about the drop, but am curious as to why you're really only interested in them. Are they more predictive for anything in particular? (I love understanding things....that's why I'm asking.)
66 is a really good number! They are likely the best indicator of possible heart disease.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I do not worry about my lipids. My lipid profile is well within normal whether I eat LC or not, and it improves when I do eat LC.

As to breakfast, try some cottage cheese with berries, or a smoothie with whey protein powder, cream, spinach, strawberries, peanut butter, whatever you like. Other than eggs, those are my two go-to quick breakfasts.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:
The only reason I ask is that my cholesterol was 220 before LC and I rarely ate meat or eggs.
That is probably not a coincidence.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I just had a dr. appt. My dr told me one year ago, my bad cholesterol was at 160...two weeks ago, my bad cholesterol was at 90!! This was after two months of lc. He said he couldn't believe I dropped it that low in one year without any meds
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I don't worry at all. I eat eggs and bacon all the time, they are my favorite breakfast foods. Just had eggs with some cream cheese mixed in today. Very creamy and yummy. I also use butter and coconut oil all day long, heavy whipping cream in my coffee. Oh yum!!! My cholesterol numbers cannot get any better!! My lab results were so off the charts good, the lab repeated some of the tests!
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote