Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Lately my ratios have been 71% fat, 26% protein, 3% carbs.

Looking at those numbers, I'm wondering if high fat/moderate protein/REALLY LOW CARB is a bad solution for me.

Oh dear. Here I go tweaking again... but how?

Up the proteins and the carbs?

One beautiful thing is - I'm now obsessing about numbers, not about food. Wow.
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
Lately my ratios have been 71% fat, 26% protein, 3% carbs.

Looking at those numbers, I'm wondering if high fat/moderate protein/REALLY LOW CARB is a bad solution for me.

Oh dear. Here I go tweaking again... but how?

Up the proteins and the carbs?

One beautiful thing is - I'm now obsessing about numbers, not about food. Wow.
All the while staying at 1500 calories. That's where it gets complicated for me : I have 4 categories to choose from : Calories, fat, protein, carbs. How do I play around with those numbers?

The "follow the plan don't count anything" approach doesn't work for me.

I exercice moderately, drink the water, cut the cheese & nuts, 1 or 2 packets of sweeteners a day, no more sugar free chewing gum, take psyllium & 2 tablespoons of flax seeds.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muttsmom
Stats: 204/183/150
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 07/2008; restart 9/28/2013
I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing NOW. My suspicion is that the only missing element is patience. Easy for me to say, I know.

But, it sounds like you've STRICTLY only been following this adjusted plan for a couple of weeks. Over the last two weeks I've dropped exactly 1/2 pound and I have a LONG way to go to get to where you are.

I don't know what size you wear or your body type. The last time I was your weight I was 25 and in the army. And I wore a very loose size 10 jeans and looked great. (Got "breeder hips" as my ex's best friend so helpfully pointed out on our wedding day )

Bottomline, I highly doubt I could get to a low enough SUSTAINABLE weight to ever see a size 6 and don't really aspire to it.
Are you focusing on that scale number for nostalgia reasons or is there a certain size you're aspiring to? I'm struggling to picture you as overweight at 130 at your height.
2muttsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 194.0/?/115
WOE: Low Carb
Lose five more pounds than your goal and according to the charts, you'll be underweight. Honestly, I think your body is telling you that you're at goal. Unless you've got a very small frame, it is hard for me to envision you as needing to lose weight. The truth is that people naturally gain weight as they age. Most of us won't get back to our weight at age 18 (assuming we gained later on in life)
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

I think it's a little more than vanity, or dreaming of a certain size. When I'm at 132, I have no wiggle room - none - for special occasions - which, for me, means binges. Yes, Atkins has helped me tremendously for those. I don't crave food half as much as I used to. But the reality is that for me, 132 is at the top of my acceptable range, which is 125-131, or something like that.

Well, I'm down half a pound today, after eating 1800 cals yesterday - I wanted to try that with super low carbs. Of course, I could be reaping the benefits of those two weeks at 1500. Don't know. Will stay at about 1700 cals for a few days and see what the scale says.

Lastly, I don't believe I'm overweight. I just want to be slimmer - not skinny - slimmer. And I WAS at 126 with WW. Just miserable and obsessed with food. That's why I switched - I HAD to do something. But now it's buming me out that Atkins makes me gain rather than lose, because I love eating like this.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
My goal is 126, which I was able to attain and maintain with WW for 3 years. Being miserable and obsessed with food most of the time, I decided to switch to Atkins. Up went my weight (now at 132 for 2 weeks).

My true, beloved vanity goal is 120.
Yeah, there are a lot of women out there who are hungry all the time in their quest for the Hollywood body. My aunt spent most of her 20's and 30's being *very* hungry because thought she should weigh 120. Too low for her 5'7 frame. She did it by eating hard boiled eggs and keeping her calories around 1200.

So you're probably going to have to make a conscious decision to choose being hungry to get to that arbitrary number on a scale. The reality is that if you drop your calories enough, you'll lose.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
lol...for most people it is.. But for me it is what works and is double what I was eating and gaining on. I gain at 600 to 900 cals and I gain at 1400-1650cals.
I could write this. I am extremely short and I noticed that some pounds had creeped back on. I was about 130 and for almost a year now I have tried to follow the recommendation of 1200 a day. The weight stayed put though my carbs were never over 20 and never over 1200 calories. Talk about total frustration.

The past two weeks I got desperate and upped my fats and lowered my calories. Upped my fats by doing things people would probably go eewww. For example: I fry a hamburger patty in a skillet and just before I finish I throw in a tablespoon of butter. Put cheese on top cut up the meat and top a bowl full of iceburg lettuce. Now here is the eew part. I pour the grease over the whole thing. There isn't much as I usually buy ground chuck or sirloin mixed with the butter. I love this. I reminds me of wilted lettuce minus the tang.

I also have not been eating more than 600 to 900 calories a day and very low carbs. Well whatayouknow the scales are moving. I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 122. I only want to get to 115 so I am not far from that.
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 11-17-2013 at 07:59 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muttsmom
Stats: 204/183/150
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 07/2008; restart 9/28/2013
Grats on the loss, Whyo.

Since your weightloss is likely to be fairly slow, being so close to goal, you're in a unique position to start determining what's going to work for you to maintain long term!

I know many of us here approach goal with a bit of trepidation about the switch between losing and maintaining mode. And, as I'm just one example, don't have a good long term plan in place. I walked away from the scale within 8 pounds of goal, heady with my success, and just wandered off into carb hell for 5 years.

Determining the level of calories as well as carbs and which kind you can eat is going to be extremely important to your long term success. You're zeroing on your calorie sweet spot. The next challenge will be determining which carbs, i.e. those from fruit or dairy or excess "allowed" veggies, or artificial sweeteners are triggers for you.

There are some very smart people here that have been at this for years. And, many are gracious enough to continue to hang out here with us "losers" even years after they've made goal. Maybe reading through some of the posts on the maintaing boards will provide you with some inspiration not only for shedding the last few pounds but on ways to get to know your body well enough to be successful staying there.

You've obviously got the perseverance. I wish you luck finding the knowledge you need.
2muttsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Now here is the eew part. I pour the grease over the whole thing. There isn't much as I usually buy ground chuck or sirloin mixed with the butter. I love this.
That is basically how I make my LC Gravy. I use the grease from whatever meat, add in seasoning and 1c HWC. I keep it in a container in the fridge and use it over everything! Love it and will be making it as my Thanksgiving Gravy.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #40
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
That is basically how I make my LC Gravy. I use the grease from whatever meat, add in seasoning and 1c HWC. I keep it in a container in the fridge and use it over everything! Love it and will be making it as my Thanksgiving Gravy.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelle765
Stats: 240.2/194.0/135
Start Date: 7/19/2013
Short trip there...

I'm with lolagetz......you're SO CLOSE to your goal. How much and what kind of exercise do you do?
Michelle765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Wow, lots of kind words & great advice, thank you so much. I do exercice about 6 times a weeks, though not strenuously (weights, stationnary bike, and my beloved Total Gym). I figured about 25 years ago that I like a leisurely pace for a longer time, rather than jump up & down like a maniac at lightning speed. Just not for me.

It's too early for me for maintenance. Knowing myself, if I did decide that 132 was the weight for me, I'd be at a much higher number within months, if not weeks.

Perseverance is the key, it's true.

And just to throw that one in the mix: for years I thought I was bulimic. Turns out I wasn't. It was all about carbs. So even though I'm not as successful weight-wise with Atkins, at least I don't think I have a mental illness (not sure if bulimia is qualified as such, but it sure felt that way).

So I'm in for the long haul. 131.5 this morning. We shall see.