Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
How are you going to handle Thanksgiving?

Is anyone going to cheat that day and then get back on plan? I'm too much of a carb addict to do that I think. I'm just curious what everyone is going to do.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I am definitely not going to cheat at all. Will not be taking even a single bite of anything I know is bad for me and since we are cooking at home, I will have complete control of the ingredients so I'm not afraid I'll eat anything 'bad' by mistake. I've been reading the comments on other threads dealing with the same topic and it's obvious people have different approaches to this but my belief is that I personally will be better off remaining completely low carb. And I think this is better for me not only for my health and weight but also because I'll avoid any self-recrimination or sense of 'guilt' afterward. I've gone through enough Thanksgivings without eating any high carb stuff that I know from experience I won't be at all tempted. I think that in the end we all have a sense of what we can manage and what is best for us. I don't actually see anything wrong with indulging in a few planned treats on a holiday and recouping your losses [or in this case gains] in the following days but I just know that for me it is better not to even consider 'cheating' as an option.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Reboot 10/2013
Plans:

Sister is in town the 27th, and I told my mom that I would cook. It's an up day and I'm low carbing - I'm making chicken enchiladas on Low Carb Tortillas for it.

28th - yeah, Thanksgiving is a DD. We will be eating with my family. I'll stay low carb though, I can't DD it! I'll be making an LC dish or two, and I'll enjoy turkey, and bring a LC pumpkin cheesecake.

29th - Having Thanksgiving with the Boyfriends parents. Again, staying LC, bringing a LC dessert - It'll be harder, because they aren't big meat eaters

Then I'll resume regular rotations with JUDDD

Starting Challenge Weight 5/1/14: 196.5 lbs
May: -3lbs
July:
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I'm not going to eat carbs or plan a cheat. I'll feel awful, my guts will hurt, and it just won't be worth it. We've got a 4 hour drive to make in 2 days and I certainly don't want angry tummy issues while in the car.

I'm going to eat lots of turkey with butter (I can't have gluten so even a tiny bit of gravy is out) and bring LC pumpkin bake with real whipped cream for dessert. I'll eat lots of that and not feel guilty. I might attempt a LC stuffing but I suspect I'll be too lazy and cheap to do it. I'd rather "spend" my carbs on pumpkin bake anyway.

We'll drive to WV to spend the day with my inlaws and a group of my SIL inlaws. I'm a Yankee so most of the Thanksgiving sides they make here in Dixie aren't things I even associate with the holidays.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ueguy1985
Stats: 255/225/195
Start Date: 7/15/2013
I'm going to make cauliflower mashed potatoes, have it with regular gravy, and have regular stuffing. So yeah, kind of a cheat day. I've discovered I can cheat and get back on the wagon and not gain. In some cases it causes a loss. There are some other threads on here about carb cycling so that's what I'm talking about.
ueguy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I also see absolutely nothing wrong with taking the holiday as an off plan meal, but that's not for me. I'd rather just stay on plan, eat lots of dark meat turkey that I've cooked with Kerrygold butter and olive oil, and let everyone else eat the side dishes that go with it. Honestly, it seems like every Thanksgiving I end up feeling cruddy from overeating, so why do that to myself? It's easier for me to just stay on plan and I'll feel better.

Next Thanksgiving when I'm at goal and in maintenance mode, maybe I'll handle it differently, but this year I still have 47 pounds to go.
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
150 ~ Ultimate Goal, Half my body weight gone Made it! 5/23/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
I stay steady year round. I eat what I'm supposed to eat and don't eat what I'm not supposed to eat and life is good. I found out years ago that I can gain 10 lbs in a matter of days and it takes most of a year of careful eating to get it off. Not worth it.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #8

Gallery: pocahontas
I eat LC and enjoy a piece of Grandma's pie for dessert. That is what I have always done over the years. It works for me. I never bring pie home or keep it around so I have my piece with the family and I am done, there is no more! Same for Christmas.
pocahontas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am doing JUDDD, so I will be doing a fasting day on Wednesday. Then I am going to eat whatever I want on Thursday and Friday(the day of our holiday Open House). But I know that too many grains make me feel bad, so I will probably still skip a few items. Then a regular fasting day on Saturday, and normal low-carb eating on Sunday with lots of yummy leftover meat and veg!

I do not consider this 'cheating' or 'going off plan'. Enjoying all the culinary delights of Thanksgiving is DEFINITELY in my plan!
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have no plans to eat off plan. I might make stuffed mushrooms or jalapeño poppers as an appetizer, and I'll eat the turkey (or ham, haven't decided yet) and LC veggies, just like I do every other day. I'm not a big dessert person, so I'll most likely skip it, but I may make an LC cheesecake muffin, depending on my mood.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asosanko
Stats: 260/233/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct 2009
Well Im not going to cheat but I wish we could even have thanksgiving dinner at my house because our oven doesn't work.. and my mom says she doesn't have the money to get it fixed.. if we were going to have dinner I was going to have mashed cauliflower.. maybe throw some bacon in there.. a pumpkin pie with a nut crust.. whole green beans with almonds.. some type of broccoli cheese bake or something make something up.. and a low carb stuffing.. I hope she can get it fixed Id love to make these dishes
asosanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CatieTN
Stats: 232/205/175 5'10
WOE: jasonsmithfitness 12 week transformation
Start Date: 10/21/13
I plan on having lots of turkey and veggies and salad. I don't want to eat a bunch of carbs and junk because I know I will feel like crap for days and it always leads to more than one day of bingeing for me.
CatieTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I've been thinking long and hard about whether I would eat carbs, or have one glass of wine that day.

I made a decision today that I will abstain from both. Its more foolproof, and less complicated than indulging.

LESS complication in my life, I have decided, is better than more.

I will have turkey, flour-free gravy, either acorn or butternut squash, and a green vegetable. Stevia soda, sparkling water, or coffee to drink. Period!
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muttsmom
Stats: 204/183/150
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 07/2008; restart 9/28/2013
My sister always has cheese, salami, and crackers as well as fresh broccoli and cauliflower sitting around to munch on before dinner, so I'll stuff myself on those sans the crackers, then just turkey and ham for my meal.

Skipping dessert will be hardest, but I can do it.
2muttsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/193/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Atkins '72
Start Date: January 2012; Recommit Everyday
The closer it gets and the more talk there is about who's making what dish (and getting asked to make caramel apple pies by my mom...) the more I realize how hard this is going to be...
I'm not making pies, I'm bringing veggies and healthy sides, along with LC pumpkin cheesecake mousse and a pumpkin pound cake I found on Linda's recipe site...
I am planning on eating protein and veggies for dinner and having an on plan LC treat, but otherwise treating it like a normal eating day... which will be a 1st for me.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
We will have T-day with my in-laws the Sunday before then on actual Thanksgiving I will pobably cook a turkey, veggie and LC dessert at home. The only thing I anticipate eating off plan is a spoonful of MIL's mashed potatoes. It's the only thing she cooks that actually tastes good . I will try making a LC turkey gravy this weekend and make that for both days if it comes out. If not I will just skip the gravy. Nothing else high carb that will be offered (besides the mashed potatoes) tempts me at this point.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: llisarray
Stats: 232/185/175 and then we will see
Start Date: April 2013 restart
I'm having a cheat day the Sunday before thanksgiving...back hard st it with tons of water on Monday, then a cheat day on thanksgiving and back hard on it Friday.
llisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: createart
Stats: 22/20. 18. 12/10
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: January 1, 2004 / October 21, 2013
I'll have 3 possibly 4 Thanksgivings to go to this year. Out of those I think I'll probably eat off plan at 1, possibly 2. Honestly it will depend on what has been made. If my sister makes her special dessert of the year I'll probably have a piece of it, but if it's the same old same old turkey and dressing I'll just stick with the turkey.
createart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

I'm trying to re-align my thinking when it comes to food and celebrations. I need to learn that celebrating and having fun doesn't have to mean eating tons of stuff without any inhibitions. I need to learn to seperate "happiness" and "enjoyment" from eating. I come from a big family of foodies, where we talk about food and love going out to eat at nice restaurants because of the "experience" that revolves around the food. Growing up, special occasions involved a great restaurant where we ate whatever we want. Now that I am on Low Carb, I'm starting to see that food is merely a means to an end- it is there for me a enjoy to a point, but it shouldn't be the center of attention.

I suppose I will focus on the family I will be seeing on Thanksgiving, and having a 4-day weekend off with my husband and dog. I will try to focus on what I am grateful for, and not the plates of bad foods for me to indulge on as I make an excuse that it is a holiday and over-eating is warranted. Over-eating should never be warranted for any reason. Treats shouldn't be a part of celebrating, because there are so many other reasons and ways to celebrate.
ellen-couture-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
I'm eating more paleo style, so it shouldn't be too hard. My mother loves to makes loads of starchy items. So, I'm going to make some appetizers and a few side dishes that aren't filled with unhealthy starch. The only thing I may have issues with is laying off the dressing.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/170/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
I always have the best of intentions to eat clean of foody holidays, but it usually devolves into carbiness. In theory, this is what I'll eat:

Lots of turkey, probably the majority of the crispy skin off of it.
A LC alternative to stuffing, which is one of my favorites on Thanksgiving
LC cranberry relish w/ whipped cream
Green beans cooked with bacon and almonds
LC cheesecake
sweet potatoes
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #22

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Funny thing about Thanksgiving, it was and is a celebration of a successful harvest. It was a Party with the intention of eating good food. I believe that the first celebration, the Native Americans went out and shot a deer to bring to the table. To be thankful for the abundance was the intention. Now we have abundance throughout the year and don't have to worry about making it through the winter. But the feast still remains.
I kinda think of it as one of the few times I travel away from my home to be with my and my BF's Family, and enjoy food that we normally don't eat all the time. So It would be nice if that aspect of Thanksgiving could be preserved despite my diet.

So I intend to premake any dish that I would want to eat at the dinner table and bringing it myself. I DO like dressing, so I'm gonna try to make Widget's Stuffing. I eat salad all the time so I don't really care to have the same salad at Thanksgiving. I'll make Charski's Jalapeno Cranberry sauce cause I don't eat anything like that any other time of the year. I love apple pie so I might sample some if there is some, it's a rare treat in my family. If I could make it I'd make it a low carb apple crumble or something. Everything else is meat, gravy, green beans, salad, Mac and Cheese I won't eat, Cornbread I won't eat, Bread I won't eat, and then desserts which I will sample if I like it, but I plant to make and bring my own.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm thinking I need to stay on plan. There will always be holidays and birthdays and events come up in life, but I don't always want to be fat. I just need to try to make some cauliflower mashed "potatoes" or muffins or something. I've never made any of that, so I guess I'll try to make some this weekend and see how it turns out. Maybe with that and ham and turkey and green beans I will be ok. why oh why do these holiday meals come loaded with carbs?? ugh..
Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
I'm staying 100% on-plan as I always do on Thanksgiving - and with a non-traditional meal this year to boot. Christmas Day is a different story, though. But I get right back into the swing of things with healthy low-carb eating the following morning, no exceptions or excuses.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
There are two dishes that I only ever eat at Thanksgiving - and these are the two only off-plan dishes that my family serves on Thanksgiving - that I plan on consuming. I'm not going to get all crazy with the portions of those dishes though.

I will fast the following day and do an additional 30 minutes of cardio at the gym for the following two days.

That said, I'm not at risk at unleashing a carb monster death spiral that will lead me back to my old ways. If I were, I would just stay completely on plan.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I am staying on plan -- at least I hope that will be the outcome. We are going to my brother in law/sister in law's home for Thanksgiving. We were asked to bring appetizers and wine so I am bringing nearly all low carb stuff (shrimp cocktail, herb dip with veggies, spiced nuts, cheese plate, charcuterie, hummus and pita chips). I plan to eat white meat turkey (my favorite!) and safe vegetables like green beans.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I am going to bring low carb appetizers. I am going to eat the low carb stuff that is on the table for dinner and skip all of the high carb stuff. Just like I do every other day of the year.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I'm going to eat the way I always eat. We're going to a restaurant that is serving a special T-Dy meal. I will be having the turkey & LC veggies & skipping the rest.

I don't snack so that is not a problem. I will just skip the snack foods offered between meals.

I love the food I eat, love feeling great, and I'm thrilled with the changes it is making in how I look! Why would I want to stop for even one meal?

I made lifestyle changes & the foods I no longer eat are ones I consider unhealthy. I'm not going to hurt my body for even a day. Not this year, not next year, not ever again. Eating unhealthy food would deprive my body of good health.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I am going to bring low carb appetizers. I am going to eat the low carb stuff that is on the table for dinner and skip all of the high carb stuff. Just like I do every other day of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm going to eat the way I always eat. We're going to a restaurant that is serving a special T-Dy meal. I will be having the turkey & LC veggies & skipping the rest.

I don't snack so that is not a problem. I will just skip the snack foods offered between meals.

I love the food I eat, love feeling great, and I'm thrilled with the changes it is making in how I look! Why would I want to stop for even one meal?

I made lifestyle changes & the foods I no longer eat are ones I consider unhealthy. I'm not going to hurt my body for even a day. Not this year, not next year, not ever again. Eating unhealthy food would deprive my body of good health.
This is the mind set that I'm developing. Thanks so much!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denene
thankgiving

i really dont have a clue what to do for thanksgiving. I never eat pumpkin pie so thats not a problem ususally we have turkey mashed potatoes & yams with marshmellows (never do stuffing or gravy) cranberries pickles olives ham and cream cheese roll ups and cresent rolls i havent had mashed potatoes in almost 2 months or yams and it is killing me...really i have tried califlower and turnips and rutibegas and fofr me they just dont do it for me so i dont know what i am gonna do the turkey defiately the rest
denene is offline   Reply With Quote