Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/275/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
I found that when I "allowed" myself a cheat on Thanksgiving, I actually ended up not eating hardly any at all. I allow cheats because if this is going to be a lifelong thing, then for me, an occasional cheat every few months is going to come up that I will want to indulge on. But it has to be only on occasion and not for a whole day or anything like that or else it is hard for me to get back in the saddle.
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: iloveallmymeows
eat what you want that day then go for a walk .

Thanksgiving Day : I would say to eat the meal then go for a walk.
iloveallmymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BumbleStang
Stats: 239/203/165
WOE: Protein Power, switched to Atkins 1/1/14
Start Date: 6/14/13
I've been collecting recipes. So far I've decided to make some sugar-free cranberry sauce and some of those jalapeno poppers from the bunco thread. Also found recipes for a low carb spinach casserole, and a low carb cheesecake.

That should pretty much cover all bases for me (appetizers, sides, and dessert). Just add turkey (which my sister is making). I like the idea of putting butter on my turkey instead of gravy, I probably wouldn't have thought of that.
BumbleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleStang View Post
I've been collecting recipes. So far I've decided to make some sugar-free cranberry sauce and some of those jalapeno poppers from the bunco thread. Also found recipes for a low carb spinach casserole, and a low carb cheesecake.

That should pretty much cover all bases for me (appetizers, sides, and dessert). Just add turkey (which my sister is making). I like the idea of putting butter on my turkey instead of gravy, I probably wouldn't have thought of that.
That's a great Idea!! I need to make a batch of ghee to take with me, It's great on EVERYTHING, Even Desserts!
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
No cheats!!!!
I live myself too much to allow Holiday food to rob me of my future goals! Plenty to eat that can make a Holiday joyous and satisfying.
Why put yourself backwards unless you want to get serious after New Years.
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fleur-de-Lis
Stats: 260/244/170
Start Date: Restart Date: 11/10/2013
Thanksgiving

I don't think I will cheat because I will be only three weeks back on Atkins. And for me, it's not really that tempting. It's taken me many years, but I no longer feel the social pressure to eat what others are eating. When I am eating LC, I am usually feeling satisfied anyway!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Fleur-de-Lis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/195.2/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: July 31, 2014 (restart)
I am going off plan on the 28th, back on plan December 1st. But, I am a bit different in that I am not low carb for life. I have enough food allergy restrictions that I know I couldn't handle the burden of even more carb restrictions on top of that. I will then be on plan for the first 21 or so days in December, off again for Christmas.

I'm not about to give up stuffing, the one food I look forward to all year long. Yes it has an allergen in it, but I'll deal.

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fleur-de-Lis
Stats: 260/244/170
Start Date: Restart Date: 11/10/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousity View Post
I am going off plan on the 28th, back on plan December 1st. But, I am a bit different in that I am not low carb for life. I have enough food allergy restrictions that I know I couldn't handle the burden of even more carb restrictions on top of that. I will then be on plan for the first 21 or so days in December, off again for Christmas.

I'm not about to give up stuffing, the one food I look forward to all year long. Yes it has an allergen in it, but I'll deal.
Good luck with the food allergies, I have a few friends that struggle, it's not easy.
Fleur-de-Lis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Once you do have a planned cheat how long does it normally take everyone to get back into ketosis. I can eat a paleo version of Thanksgiving with almond flour stuffing and coconut flour biscuits BUT that would know me out of Induction which I am currently doing.
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #40

I dont' know about getting into Ketosis, since I'm usually not carrying my keto sticks with me on vacation trips, but I'd assume, if you go back to normal eating the next day, then it would probably take the obligatory minimum 3 days for your body to use up any excess sugar/glycogen stores, just as if you were starting induction for the first time.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I was asked to make a couple of pies; an apple with a crumb topping and a pumpkin pie. When I make normal pies, I use maple syrup instead of sugar, and for myself, I use Splenda.

Since I know I'm going to fall off the wagon with all that sweet pie around, I decided to make some "pot pie" sized. Make personal pies for the people who want them and no pies to be left around, tempting me.

I generally like smoked turkey, maybe some spaghetti squash, green bean casserole, mashed cauliflower, gravy, well, gravy on everything, and maybe a pumpkin bake or cheesecake. And wine. Lots of wine.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Sigh,

Thinking about doing a clean Paleo version of Thanksgiving which will be higher in carbs than I should eat. Three days to get back into ketosis isn't soo bad. For me Almond and Coconut flour is better than wheat which just makes me feel awful now!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Honestly, I will eat what I want on Thanksgiving. Having a weekend off every month from low carb is part of my plan and has been from the start. It is the only way that I will be able to stick with it. I am okay with my current weight if it means I can still enjoy the holidays and other foods I really love on occasion.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I think it is a matter of self-knowledge and understanding our own capabilities and vulnerabilities. I know that many people are able to be flexible in terms of their diet; they are able to occasionally eat 'off plan' for special occasions and then resume their health oriented approach with no lasting consequences. I, on the other hand, am an 'all or nothing' sort of person and I know that I'm not able to limit off plan eating once I start it so, for me, indulging in high carb foods is not an option. I think it all comes down to "know thyself". We each know our weaknesses and strengths; we know what we can handle and what we must avoid. Dealing with the holidays is a very individual matter.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have no trouble getting back on plan; I allow myself a few off-plan meals per year, but the food has to be worth it, and honestly, Thanksgiving isn't worth it for me. With the exception of three shoestrings fries several months ago and two deep fried scallops last month (neither of which were enough to knock me out of ketosis), I've been 100% on plan since January 3.

For me it's more a matter of kicking myself out of ketosis and beginning the process of becoming keto-adapted all over again. I believe strongly in the advantage of being keto-adapted, so it takes a lot of thought and amazingly good--and relatively rare--food for me to think it's worth it. Thanksgiving food is good, but I've had it many many times, and it's not worth. It for me. I can enjoy the holiday as much eating on plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousity View Post

I have a bunch of deadly food allergies, to things that make eating LC more limited (like tree and peanuts, soy, and all raw fruits and veggies, just to name some), so I can't eat a lot of the recipes posted or LC staple foods. But I enjoy what I can eat, and I focus on that.

I plan to eat this way for the rest of my life, and there will be holidays and excuses to eat off plan forever. My health and weight are better reasons not to. I'm making my adjustments and enjoying myself regardless.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez View Post
I was asked to make a couple of pies; an apple with a crumb topping and a pumpkin pie. When I make normal pies, I use maple syrup instead of sugar, and for myself, I use Splenda.

Since I know I'm going to fall off the wagon with all that sweet pie around, I decided to make some "pot pie" sized. Make personal pies for the people who want them and no pies to be left around, tempting me.

I generally like smoked turkey, maybe some spaghetti squash, green bean casserole, mashed cauliflower, gravy, well, gravy on everything, and maybe a pumpkin bake or cheesecake. And wine. Lots of wine.
If I knew how many people would be there, I'd do that. Seems like it'd be simple enough to make a big batch of pie filling and split it half, sugar for the sugar eaters and splenda for me and the other so called dieters, LOL.

I've been asked to make the Pumpkin Pie, I think cause I suggested using splenda woudl be simple. But I don't know if Mother expects me to make a low carb crust as well as if I were making it for myself, cause personally I'd rather make a pumpkin part with a butter crust, a thin layer of pumpkin filling, since I like the part next to the crust better than the thick filling innards! I might go ahead and make the crust using Lauren's Sugar Free Pop Tart Dough.

Since I found out the T-Day menu, I threw a private little tantrum and decided I'm going to be bringing my own side dishes and INSISTING on making Green Bean Casserole as boiled green beans was the only vegetable on the menu at all!

They will be having
Breads
  • Mac n Cheese
  • bread dressing
  • dinner rolls

Meat
  • Turkey

Vegetables
  • boiled green beans

Sugar
  • cranberry sauce , which I'm making Low Sugar for SDad, Mom Requested
  • pumpkin pie, Which I'm making Low Sugar, SDad requested
  • Pecan Pie
  • Cheesecake
  • Lemon Meringue

I'll be bringing a double serving size of Squash Casserole, Widgets Stuffing, and after I get over my tantrum headache, I'm gonna make a Mini Bavarian Apple Cheesecake, and before leaving whip up a batch of mashed cauliflower with carmelized onions.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: createart
Stats: 22/20. 18. 12/10
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: January 1, 2004 / October 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Once you do have a planned cheat how long does it normally take everyone to get back into ketosis. I can eat a paleo version of Thanksgiving with almond flour stuffing and coconut flour biscuits BUT that would know me out of Induction which I am currently doing.
I have found that it's best for me to not weigh myself for a solid week after a planned meal that's not low in carbs. I know from experience because I weighed myself every day, and for a week I would gain 2, then I would lose 1, gain 1, lose 2, etc. Finally after a week I was back to losing and was below where I was when I had the off plan meal to begin with. You just have to realize that it will slow up your loss and you have to be able to get right back on the wagon.

I can now see both sides- those who say it's not worth it because it really does slow you down, and those who say it is worth it because sometimes you just want to have the real deal stuffing!

I have so far stuck to my original Thankgiving plan of not wasting my time on the high carb stuff unless it's to die for good. We had Thanksgiving with my husband's side on Sunday. Nothing was impressive! No offense to them, but the same old same old mac n cheese, this and that casserole, etc. just seemed boring and totally not worth it! I brought jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar, real bacon (not microwave bacon) and green onions- so much better than any of the other stuff!

My sister though, she keeps telling me about the cookie butter pie she's making- that still intrigues me!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Y'know, I'm having a funny experience. Pre Thanksgiving weight gain!

So I've gained a pound from sampling my dishes that I'm cooking to take along, and they aren't nearly as high in fat as I'd make them if I were just planning to eat them, So I'm filling up on a bunch of veggies, lately, ( cause those are the sides I have to make if I want any veggies on T-Day, and Whoops the scale is already inching up.

I don't plan t cheat ( much) that's why I'm brining my own sides to "feast" on , but I'll be visiting My family and BF's family and i'm sure I'll sample some Non-Low carb things just to be polite

I think I'll just try to eat well after the day and wait a few days to see what damage has been done. I still have my nuts and clouds for fat fast, so I could fat fast when I get back home to jump start the path back to fat burning.

Last edited by metqa; 11-26-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Old 11-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I'm staying on plan and making LC options for all my favs. Stuffing w/o bread but w/ cabbage I'll let ya know how that goes! Sweet potatoes with divinci vanilla and cinnamon and crustless pumpkin pie. Sf cranberry sauce made with truvia.

Looking forward to splurging LC style
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #50

I had the most delicious side dished on Thanksgiving. I should say I give thanks for all my clever and creative friends on LCF who come up with these delicious and wonderful recipes. I didn't feel deprived at all that all I took from the table was Turkey and Gravy, I had all of my sides and they were so good I actually felt bad for everyone else. My niece sampled some of mine and said they were good, and she's a picky eater. I ate my homemade SF jellied cranberry sauce and it was better than any canned junk. My BF has been carrying on about how good it is. and I ate some of my SF pumpkin pie with the Homemade crust, and I had my mini SF Bavarian Apple cheese cake, My Step dad had some and liked it. I passed on all the desserts and had my Kombucha and water to drink. I'm very proud of myself.

Right now I'm making a full sized batch of the Squash Casserole cause it was so good I want to freeze some for anytime!

Hope everyone else had good food experiences. Oh, and I enjoyed my family as well.

Last edited by metqa; 11-30-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Well, I was bad and good. I did eat some of the pies I made, but very small portions. The apple was outstanding; one of the best I ever made, but the pumpkin?? Well, I'll have to do a "make up" pumpkin pie. And the butter crusts were hard, so I have to figure out what I did wrong.

But I did have a couple of small potatoes. Yes, I caved. I was weak. Oh, well!

The day after, I had the turkey meat all cut up and the carcass and other bones in the freezer and am having just small amounts of turkey. Yesterday, it was on a salad. I smoked it so I didn't want to disguise the flavor dressing it up in other spices.

The carcass will be my next bone broth.

I was wondering why I wasn't getting into ketosis until I remembered the sugar alcohols in my fake maple syrup I was using with my low carb French toast. Now that the toast is gone, I should be back to normal.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote