Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   "Carbed" 16 hours after eating carbs... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816996-carbed-16-hours-after-eating-carbs.html)

Seeking 11-13-2013 11:42 AM

"Carbed" 16 hours after eating carbs...

Is this even possible? Yesterday I didn't have many carbs except for a berry punch at smoothie king, the small size, which has 91 carbs. I added "diet down" supplement, which has chromium, because it seems to have helped in the past. I felt perfectly fine the rest of the day after drinking it.

This morning I also felt fine. No symptoms of carbing yet. I ate breakfast, which probably totaled 10 carbs at the most.

Then I had lunch, which I'm guessing had about 20 carbs in it. Then it hits me. I feel carbed. Fatigue. Dry eyes. Tired. Want to lie down. Poor concentration. DH tells me it was the 91 carb smoothie I had yesterday at 8pm. That was 16 hours ago. Is it possible to suddenly feel carbed from something you ate 16 hours ago???

Does this mean I can't have a smoothie occasionally any more? I have to give it up? Forever? What the hell!

miboje 11-13-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16681954)
Is this even possible? Yesterday I didn't have many carbs except for a berry punch at smoothie king, the small size, which has 91 carbs. I added "diet down" supplement, which has chromium, because it seems to have helped in the past. I felt perfectly fine the rest of the day after drinking it.

This morning I also felt fine. No symptoms of carbing yet. I ate breakfast, which probably totaled 10 carbs at the most.

Then I had lunch, which I'm guessing had about 20 carbs in it. Then it hits me. I feel carbed. Fatigue. Dry eyes. Tired. Want to lie down. Poor concentration. DH tells me it was the 91 carb smoothie I had yesterday at 8pm. That was 16 hours ago. Is it possible to suddenly feel carbed from something you ate 16 hours ago???

Does this mean I can't have a smoothie occasionally any more? I have to give it up? Forever? What the hell!

I don't have an answer regarding the first part of your question. Usually, carby stuff hits me well before the next day.

The second question/answer is maybe. There are things that, even after eating LC for some time, just put me in the after effects of overcarbing as you described. For those things, I just work very hard to find a LC replacement for, and sometimes that means making my own LC duplicate of it. I checked the Smoothie King website and read the ingredients for this concoction. It looks like this is something one should be able to duplicate without much trouble. You just need some sort of sugar free berry juice blend and raspberry sorbet, which the latter is probably the major carb culprit. I dug up a LC recipe for that here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ry-sorbet.html

Seeking 11-13-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miboje (Post 16681982)
I don't have an answer regarding the first part of your question. Usually, carby stuff hits me well before the next day.

The second question/answer is maybe. There are things that, even after eating LC for some time, just put me in the after effects of overcarbing as you described. For those things, I just work very hard to find a LC replacement for, and sometimes that means making my own LC duplicate of it. I checked the Smoothie King website and read the ingredients for this concoction. It looks like this is something one should be able to duplicate without much trouble. You just need some sort of sugar free berry juice blend and raspberry sorbet, which the latter is probably the major carb culprit. I dug up a LC recipe for that here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ry-sorbet.html

I asked those people what's in the sorbet and they told me "ice and berries." I guess they are lying to me. That recipe you linked to has unhealthy ingredients in the syrup that I simply will not eat.

Ingredients: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gum, Sucralose (Splenda Brand), Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Citric Acid.

Ingredients: Purified water, natural flavors, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness), citric acid, xanthan gum, sucralose (SPLENDAŽ Brand), sodium citrate, and acesulfame potassium.

We are moving next year; we actually have a big yard at the new place. I'll be growing a big garden and making my own smoothies from it. Perhaps that will be far lower in carbs.

miboje 11-13-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16682027)
I asked those people what's in the sorbet and they told me "ice and berries." I guess they are lying to me. That recipe you linked to has unhealthy ingredients in the syrup that I simply will not eat.

Ingredients: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gum, Sucralose (Splenda Brand), Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Citric Acid.

Ingredients: Purified water, natural flavors, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness), citric acid, xanthan gum, sucralose (SPLENDAŽ Brand), sodium citrate, and acesulfame potassium.

We are moving next year; we actually have a big yard at the new place. I'll be growing a big garden and making my own smoothies from it. Perhaps that will be far lower in carbs.

Regular high carb sorbet is more than ice and berries. Look at a recipe for regular sorbet, and you will see what I mean:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 quarts raspberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup white corn syrup

Read more at: Raspberry Sorbet Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

All I can tell you is that I am sure that this HC version you consumed is probably not any healthier than a LC version.

mimivac 11-13-2013 01:06 PM

91 carbs is alot for a smoothie. There is no way that is just berries and ice. It must be filled with sugar and corn syrup. You can easily make your own smoothies. Found these on just a cursory search on google.

Protein Shake – 4g carbs
2 fl oz /60 ml cream
4 fl oz / 125 ml water
1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, (or chocolate, banana, strawberry etc)
3-4 ice cubes

Tropical Smoothie – 9.5g carbs
4 fl oz /125ml Coconut milk
4 oz /110g frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries etc)
1 tsp Splenda (if required)
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder

Berry Fizz Shake – 8g carbs
4 fl oz /125ml Sparkling water
4 oz /110g frozen berries
1 fl oz /30ml cream

Almond Smoothie - 4g carbs
4 fl oz /125 ml water
2 fl oz /60 ml cream
1 tsp (or more to taste) almond extract

Peanut Butter Smoothie – 6g carbs
2 fl oz /60 ml cream
4 fl oz /125ml water
1 tbsp sugar free peanut butter

Mocha Shake – 5g carbs
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
2 fl oz /60 ml cream
1 tsp instant coffee (dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water)
1 tsp Splenda
4 fl oz /125 ml water
3-4 ice cubes

Low-Carb Frappuccino – 4.5g carbs
2 fl oz /60 ml cream
1 tsp Splenda
4 fl oz / 125 ml espresso coffee, or other strong coffee (made up and chilled)
3-4 ice cubes

Seeking 11-13-2013 01:11 PM

I sent an email to the company asking what was in the sorbet and the blueberry juice blend...

snowangel9 11-13-2013 02:54 PM

Just curious, what plan are you following that allows a smoothie? 91 carbs is a lot of carbs in any form. So, I was wondering what low carb plan are you doing?

trishthedish 11-13-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16682239)
Just curious, what plan are you following that allows a smoothie? 91 carbs is a lot of carbs in any form. So, I was wondering what low carb plan are you doing?

Yeah, that one smoothie has about five or six days worth of carbs for me!!

sheened 11-13-2013 04:15 PM

Seeking i find just not eating or drinking anything from a package or made by anyone else helps me over the first few days.

Also i heard smoothies aren't so great because the blending destroys the fibre and the sugar is basically mainlined into your system? Bit like orange juice (not being a food facist i have some quest bars in the cupboard waiting for testing).

Also plan ahead, if you are buying something from an outlet check to see if they have nutritional info.

If you need extra carbs set a number and just stick with it so there are no surprises. Not everyone can or wants to do very low carb, my husband near died when he tried cutting down to 100g carbs, just couldn't do it and practically begged me to let him have some toast. I'm on under 30g net carbs per day (some here will be a lot higher some lower) so i have loads of space for veg but i still have to be very careful Its just that if you are adding fats and protein but not reducing carbs this may not work for you past a certain point.

I know thats not the question you asked but i think it may explain the carb fatigue you had.may have been because your lunch was carbier than you thought as you guessed the carbs in it. Seriously, measure and plan, i've had a couple of grams of red pepper tip me over my carb allowance! The more you plan the more likely you will avoid feeling like that and the better understanding you will have of how you food is affecting you.

Good luck i wish you the best x

Big Stevie 11-13-2013 04:57 PM

I get those feelings and it usually is the next day. I get all of the symptoms you describe plus I am always really hungry the next day. I think everyone's bodies react differently to carbs. But your reactions are real. Listen to them and stay off the carbs they are your enemy.

haferchamp 11-13-2013 07:02 PM

I ate 1/2 a big pumpkin muffin late one afternoon and the next day i was wiped out pretty much the whole day. Lesson learned! :stars:

Seeking 11-14-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miboje (Post 16682069)
All I can tell you is that I am sure that this HC version you consumed is probably not any healthier than a LC version.

And you would be right about that. I just got the email back from the company about their ingredients. Here's what he said:

"Our Raspberry Sorbet has: Red Raspberry puree, raspberry juice, lemon juice, sugar, corn syrup, pectin , guar gum & natural flavors."

Looks like I won't be going there anymore. I don't even have a blender yet that can make smoothies, so smoothies are gonna be out for me for a few months.

MsWoods 11-14-2013 10:08 AM

I'm also curious as to what plan you are following?

10g carbs for breakfast is a lot to me, little lone 91g in a smoothie:eek:

Also, you said "I'm guessing" it had this many carbs, and "probably about" this many carbs. Are you actually tracking your food? I really suggest logging in all of your food every day so you can see what you are actually consuming.

RDBhan 11-15-2013 06:11 AM

I always wake up the next day with a headache. Things are a little better if I hydrate aggressively after the extra carbs.

The other day I ran 7 miles and decided I could risk some sushi with brown rice post-run. Well after 3 pieces I decided to weight the brown rice - 1 oz per portion. So 8 pieces would have been 1/2 lb of brown rice. Yikes! Needless to say, I stopped after 3, and drank a ton of water, and had a minor hangover the next day.

In summary, it can definitely be a delayed effect.

lterry913 11-15-2013 08:24 AM

A crab hangover...drink lots of fluid or broth. If you dont drink and have a few you won't feel too bad right at that moment...but the next day look out!