Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Talk to me about oils (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816992-talk-me-about-oils.html)

luvmybabyhead 11-13-2013 11:08 AM

Talk to me about oils

I avoid most veggie oils and my family has switched over to butter, olive, and coconut as our go to fats when cooking. I have a soy allergy and avoid soy but imagine my chargin when I looked at my mayo and saw it was made with soybean oil. :stars: I know it won't necessarily cause allergic symptoms but it is bad stuff all on its own.

The Googles aren't much help since every page known to man comes up with you search for the words "healthy" and oil" together. :laugh:

Does anyone use peanut oil as their go to, affordable oil? Why or why not? Is it inflammatory? Neutral in taste?

cfine 11-13-2013 01:33 PM

I'm not sure about peanut oil, as to mayo, making your own is the best way to avoid soy. I use a combo of CO, OO, and sunflower oil to make mine. I'll never go back to store bought mayo.

snowangel9 11-13-2013 02:34 PM

For an all purpose oil, I use high oleic safflower oil. The high oleic is important. I got that information from Mark Sisson's book. I have quit using olive oil unless it's for dressing. It can go bad just from opening it all the time. Got that from Maria's site.

The whole, what oils are good is very confusing. So, I am just trying to use more coconut, refined so there is no taste or bacon fat... I do avoid soy bean oil, canola and vegetable oils.

I have found a mayonnaise at whole foods that uses safflower oil. But, I had to read a lot of labels to find one without soy bean oil!

greengeeny 11-13-2013 02:43 PM

I use canola, safflower or peanut oil. Olive oil and butter.

ravenrose 11-13-2013 03:34 PM

look at a chart of Omega 6 levels. Omega 6 is what you want to avoid. that is why corn oil and vegetable oil are so bad

Chuck41 11-14-2013 07:33 AM

Recently found a good source of coconut oil and have substituted that for most uses. Buy it by the gallon and use it for cooking and snacks.

Doesn't work for mayo though.:cry:

synger 11-14-2013 07:57 AM

I use butter and coconut oil, but my go-to fat for basic cooking is drippings. I have a grease container on my counter, and bacon fat, pork dripping from roasts, sausage grease, all go in there. When I roast chicken pieces, I put them on a cookie sheet in the baking pan so the skin gets nice and crispy. The fat renders down into the pan, and I pour that off into a cup that I keep in the fridge.

So when I don't mind a bit of pork-y flavor, I use the pork grease. When I want a more subtle flavor, I use the schmaltz (chicken fat).

And if I ever begin running low in the grease can, I buy Gwaltney bulk pork sausage. It has a higher percentage of fat than the other bulk pork sausages in my store, and I love the flavor. Slice it up, fry it, and you have a lovely lot of dripping for the rest of your cooking.

luvmybabyhead 11-14-2013 09:29 AM

I love cooking eggs and veggies in reserved bacon fat. Yummo! I saw a recipe somewhere for baconnaise...I wonder if it would be as awesome as it sounds.

MtherGoos 11-14-2013 09:41 AM

I haven't tried baconnaise, but my son LOVES it! We buy it at Cracker Barrel in the gift section and he swears it's amazing!

asosanko 11-14-2013 02:40 PM

Is avocado oil any good for you? Ive always wanted to try it.. and is the coconut oil from trader joes good because that's what I buy..thanks!~

Chuck41 11-14-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16683219)
I haven't tried baconnaise, but my son LOVES it! We buy it at Cracker Barrel in the gift section and he swears it's amazing!

Wow MtherGoos, that is awesome progress! Congratulations. You will obviously be at goal soon. An inspiration to us all.

MtherGoos 11-14-2013 05:45 PM

Thank you Chuck! I really appreciate the support!

luvmybabyhead 11-15-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asosanko (Post 16683549)
Is avocado oil any good for you? Ive always wanted to try it.. and is the coconut oil from trader joes good because that's what I buy..thanks!~

Avocado oil is excellent for the body but it is expensive. Always buy it in dark bottles. The Trader Joes virgin coconut oil is what I buy for my coffee and I love it.

clackley 11-15-2013 06:10 AM

If you are wondering what oils are good to make mayo, I find either extra light olive oil or avocado oil are best for taste.

For cooking, you want to pay attention to what oils are stable at higher heats. I find that bacon fat and coconut oil are your best choices here but if you prefer an oil with no flavour, avocado oil does very well.

Oils like canola, peanut and safflower are all high in omega 6 which is not good. There is a high oleic safflower oil that is suppose to be pretty good but I have no experience with this one.