Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Gaining weight? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816968-gaining-weight.html)

aaronk 11-13-2013 05:06 AM

Gaining weight?

Hello, my name as Aaron and I've been low carbing for almost 4 months. I have lossed about 40 lbs and have been very happy with my progress. I have eaten less than 10-15 g of carbs a day and I exercise every day. However, the past few days I have started gaining back a couple of pounds even though I am in ketosis. I know I'm not really supposed to look at the scale but gaining weight can't be good. And I also know keto sticks are frowned upon but I like to use them as a reference. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Please help

clackley 11-13-2013 06:13 AM

Please don't worry about 'gaining a couple of lbs. over a few days'. It is impossible to lose a couple of lbs. or gain fat. It is fluid. Everyone has approx. 4 lbs. of water weight that can be up or down. If you weight at the low end, and then your fluids are replenished by the next day, it is conceivable to look like you gained 4 lbs. We all know this is not possible.

If you have been losing on average 10lbs. per month, it is also pretty likely that you will experience slowing of losses and maybe even have a pause of several weeks. The 'professional advice' is to not got tweaking or fixing things until it has been at least 6 weeks of no inches or lbs. lost.

Also remember that the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower weight loss will become. Just think of it as an exercise in maintenance because that is really how you will have to eat to maintain.

aaronk 11-13-2013 02:09 PM

Thank you. I know I am probably just overreacting, but I have been in a stall for a few weeks and that is why I was concerned.

snowangel9 11-13-2013 02:25 PM

All of what clackley said, and if you exercise everyday, some days your body may be holding on to extra water. For repairs and maybe you didn't drink enough.

Congrats on the loss so far!!! That is awesome!! :up: And, :welcome: to the boards!

sheened 11-13-2013 03:35 PM

Aaron i read somewhere (useful i know, cant for the life of me remember where) that fat cells can take 3-6 months to decide they don't need to stay full anymore, so people get whooshes of weight loss or small gains, men are supposed to be about 60% water on average and the ladies 55% so don't panic!

I've had steady weight gains before for a few days then have the excess drop off plus some more. I know thats hormonal so it may be the same for you too. Up the water and stick it out before you change anything, what you are doing at the moment is working, btw congrats in the weight loss!

Michelle765 11-14-2013 09:23 AM

What kind of exercise?

If you are lifting weights but staying within your carb budget, gaining is likely a good thing, meaning more muscle. My weight shifts with weather (I retain fluid when it's hotter out), after I lift (repair) or sometimes if I have too much salt and not enough water. I weigh myself in my birthday suit first thing in the morning after using the restroom but before eating or drinking anything.

mamabat 11-15-2013 10:19 AM

What type of exercise are you doing? It's entirely possible that you will put some weight on with strength training, but, I'd be happy to go up on the scale if I was rocking some new found muscles! ;)

Michelle765 11-15-2013 12:32 PM

Amen!

I am totally with you, Mamabat! More muscle is good!

Big Stevie 11-16-2013 07:35 AM

I tended to lose in big waves. Then I would stay the same for a couple weeks. Whenever the scale didn't move in the right direction, I would just put my menus into one of the on-line trackers to ensure I wasn't getting to many carbs or calories. If my menus were good, then I wouldn't worry about it. It is normal.

I drink a gallon of water a day. A gallon weights 7 pounds. Plus I eat. So if you add up the food and water, I am sure I am well over 10 pounds going in every day. So a fluctuation of 1 or 2 pounds in either direction is not a big deal.