Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Let's talk Strategies for Holidays

This year I am planning on a low-key Holidays.Nevertheless,it would be wise to be prepared.I have no family visiting this year,so less stress.
What are some of your strategies for the holiday gain?

I plan to have some spiced nuts on hand,to ride out the munchies when everyone is digging into pastries and such.
I also plan to workout every single day ,even if it is 10 minutes,bcoz it reminds me what my goal is,and gives me more willpower.
I also plan to make an LC menu for my family.
We will see how it goes.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Eat really simply 90 % of the time. Meats and veggies. Basically cooked.

ALSO- Weird thing that worked last year unexpectedly was NON TRADITIONAL FOOD for Holiday meals.

Im telling you, we went to several Thanksgiving dinners last year as my husband has a huge family with several divorces and I come from a country with no thanksgiving. Anyway, we ate GREEK AND MIDDLE EASTERN FOOD FOR THANKSGIVING MEAL. Roasted lamb with honey and sugRED ALMONDS, huumus, meatballs, grilled veggies on platters with roasted chickens falling off the bone...olive tapanade. AND SOME INDIAN SAMOSAS AND NAAN WITH EGGPLANT CHUTNEY. .....DELIGHTFULLY DIFFERENT. I DIDNT MISS THE STUFFING.

Free days and/or meals as they come. And not worry about them!

I have a pair of my smallest jeans that are my gauge. If they are snug IM DONE.

Still for practical advice , ill eat breafast a big one each day. and carry pork rinds, sugarfree chocolate and oopsie roles in emergency packs
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
Homemade eggnog and smashed cauliflower. Only drink no carb alcoholic drinks. If I want a treat. It will be a legal treat. I'm better of overeating a legal treat than a carby treat.
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My strategy for the holidays is the same as I have to get through every day...

Remind myself that this is not a diet (temporary WOE to reach some 'goal'). It is a lifestyle change for a healthier body. Diets allow 'cheat' days/meals for 'special occasions'. A healthier WOE means finding new ways to 'splurge'. For example, instead of the usual goodies at the holidays, I make my cheesecake pudding with heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, almond extract and artificial sweetener. The 'splurge' is not just the dessert (since I rarely have them), but also the use of AS which I usually avoid.

Remind myself of my 'limits' and then stay within them. I avoid 'trigger' foods like nuts. I've found that I can't control them. If I weigh out one ounce, I will still go back and eat several more ounces and it doesn't take much to overdo the carbs because they *are not* really all that low carb.

Plan ahead. This means calling my mil (where we go every Thanksgiving) and get her menu. She does get a little irritated sometimes because she believes 'eating in moderation' is the cure even for diabetes. I love her and have to keep reminding myself that she's 84 year's old and resistant to changing her 'beliefs', but I'm not going to compromise on what goes in my body even for her. I don't expect her or anyone else to cook just for me. I just need to know how to plan. This year, since she's doing a carby cheese sauce for the vegies and a balsamic dressing for the salad, I'm taking my brussel sprouts and salad, as well as my mashed caulitaters.

Focus on how good I feel...not how unfair it is that I can't have all the carbs and goodies. Feeling resentful is a sure way to end up having something and 'justifying' why it's 'ok for just today'.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Thanksgiving for me is going to be tough, first one without mama. My sister and I have traditional stuff planned and some being brought by family members. I can pass on the carby stuff and the sweets without issue, the problem for me is going to be over doing it on the ham, turkey and alcohol. I'm not setting myself up by thinking I can stay 100% on plan, because it's likely going to be a pretty emotional day for my family. I just have to try and then be forgiving if I lose it.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I'm not doing any baking this year. That will help.

We are planning the things that we love for Thanksgiving. I will still do the turkey, stuffing and green bean casserole. We are making small batches though.

The past few years for Thanksgiving and Christmas it hasn't been the one special meal that got us off track. It was the leftovers! I'm trying to get over my emotional attachment to turkey sandwiches.

Every year we get a little smarter. We are all reminding ourselves how horrible we felt on Jan 1st.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Susan, I am so sorry that this will be your first holiday without your mom. That is really hard. Thinking of you...

We are spending Thanksgiving at Tony's brother and sister in laws home. We have been tasked with bringing the hors d'oeuvres and wine/alcohol. Most of the hors d'oeuvres I am bringing are naturally low carb -- shrimp cocktail, veggies and herb dip, spiced nuts, hummus and pita chips. I will nosh lightly on the shrimp and veggies and go easy on the alcohol. For the main menu, I plan to stick to white meat turkey (my favorite) and green vegetables like string beans and spinach. I plan to bypass the stuffing, potatoes and desserts. I know it won't be easy but I really need to do this. I will get knocked out of ketosis if I do otherwise.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Good post lowcarbella. Reminds me I need a plan. We are going to be in Vegas for Thanksgiving. I need to bring some recipes and go shopping so we aren't eating out all the time. Thanksgiving we'll eat out, haven't decided where yet. It's the rest of the time that has me a little worried. Typically we eat out a lot when we're there.... Gotta figure that out..

Susan, so sorry about your Mom... Having family around will be good, the firsts are always the hardest... for you and all your family.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
My strategy is a bit different, since I've been at this consistently for years and will continue to do so. I allow two days a year of eating what sounds good without counting - Christmas and anniversary/birthday (they're six days apart in May and we usually combine dates for them). I get to enjoy a home baked dessert without guilt and know that leading up to it and after it I'm immediately back on plan.

That's the trick of it, though. Not eating off plan and staying in control. I can't snack my way through the holidays, and Thanksgiving will involve only on plan foods, like salad/green beans/turkey/nuts/etc. I politely turn down cookies and cakes that come my way, or give them to my kids. I don't do anything else food related except Christmas. It's like any other day prior to that, with food logging and normal dietary choices. No excuses, no sliding, no justifying. That is what makes the pie taste so sweet on Christmas - the lack of guilt because I haven't ceded my control to whatever sounded good and gained ten pounds, or worry of losing control. And eating one piece of pie when everything else is on plan? Not actually that big of a carb load when evened out over a day or two.

So my strategy is one of self discipline and allowance, all at once. I plan my eating so that I'm never out of control AND I know I can have something if it sounds good. Amazingly, most things don't tempt me even when I can eat them. But if they do, I know I can have them on that day and just delay the gratification a bit until then. It's amazing how that makes most cravings calm.

But eating through the holidays isn't an option, so I just cope the way I usually do - tasty, on plan food, on hand in my house. And bringing along a legal snack if I must do a party.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post
Thanksgiving for me is going to be tough, first one without mama. My sister and I have traditional stuff planned and some being brought by family members. I can pass on the carby stuff and the sweets without issue, the problem for me is going to be over doing it on the ham, turkey and alcohol. I'm not setting myself up by thinking I can stay 100% on plan, because it's likely going to be a pretty emotional day for my family. I just have to try and then be forgiving if I lose it.
Susan ,I understand.
I lost my mom 3 years ago and it was hard.She had cancer.
Time will heal.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Planning ahead is the key for me. I always prepare several LC things I can eat to replace typical higher carb things that I know will be at my dinners.
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Susan, I so sympathize with you on the loss of your Mother. All the firsts in the first year.... so difficult. Big hugs.

My plan is same as always. Eat what is on plan and don't eat what is not. The exceptions are wine and a low carb dessert. That is for the actual dinner.

For other get to gethers, I either eat before hand (if I am at all uncertain of food choices) or just eat what is on plan.

There really is no pull for me to eat off plan any longer and food is only one aspect of the gatherings. The best part is being with friends and family.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/245/160
WOE: No Snacking, Moderate Carbs
Start Date: Every Single Day For The Rest Of My Life
I'm going to make some new paleo/primal recipes instead of the regular stuff this year.
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Just because high carb stuff is on the table does not mean you have to eat it. I will pick the items on plan to fill my holiday plate this year. Turkey, salad, and green veggies are good alternatives to dressing, taters, and pie. I don't expect to be able to stay strictly on a below 20 carb keto regimin, but I most certainly can remain "low carb" while still participating in the holiday festivities.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Big hugs to you, Susan. My mom died a couple of days before Thanksgiving last year, so that Thanksgiving was a blur. This year is also going to be a hard one.
Also, I have to work this year so my whole family is having Thanksgiving too far for me to go that evening. It'll just be dh and I, another first. It'll be weird.
So, I've decided to do something different this year and am going to try and cook a prime rib. I was thinking of doing some kind of loaded cauli casserole, but don't know which is the best. Any recommendations?
And, I just saw a thread on Wizoids Stuffing and am considering making it.
I wish there was a good way to make LC gravy. That may be it for us.

If I was hosting or going to a large Thanksgiving get together, I'd do what I usually do. Take enough items that I could eat so that I don't feel deprived. I'd take an appetizer or two and possibly some kind of dessert. If all I could eat for dinner was the turkey and maybe a veggie or salad, that would be fine for that meal.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Thank you everyone with the kind support about mama, and big hug to you chocolate rose. I didn't intend to thread jack by mentioning my situation. The holidays are going to be tough for a lot of reasons for so many, I feel like a big whine bag for not being more grateful for the people, things, and situations I DO have. That's going to be my focus this year. It's certainly not going to be the food.

Mom passed for several reasons, leukemia since 2000, tons of awful meds through that, congestive heart failure was what was ruled. Little valve in her heart just got weaker and weaker. She fought type 2 Diabetes most her adult life and dec of last year they took her right leg, 6 months in hospitals and skilled nursing to only come home to die. Pressure wound on her back that never did heal. Meds, wound care 3 times a week, drs, learning to walk with the new prosthetic leg, god she was a tiger! And I was her primary care giver thru everything. So yes, it's gonna be tough, mama was the rock of our family, my best friend and my world.

HOWEVER.... I decided a month after she passed.. I don't wanna die like that. I'd rather be hit by a bus or anything but die on a cocktail of high powered meds, dependent on my daughter to do every thing, limbs taken. That's what's prompted me to go back to low carb an stay here, thru the hard parts and stalls etc. diabetes is a very real possibility for me, heart probs also. I dont wanna be a broken shell of the woman I am now.

And that's where I will start giving thanks this year, is that I've seen enough, learned enough thru my moms trials that my lifestyle had to change or I will end up the same way. And certainly no piece of pecan pie is worth giving up a goal she unknowingly helped me create.

Thanks for listening. Sorry for the thread jack.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Susan, you echo my sentiments exactly. I lost my Mother to the ravages of type 2 as well. Ultimately it was a heart attack but that was after losing a good deal of her eye sight and then kidney function. She went on peritoneal dialysis but it was all too much.

I will do all I can to stave off this horrible state of health and in the meantime, happily enjoy the great foods I can eat.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I lost three close friends in recent years to diabetes. It is not a pretty way to die. To have one after another of your organs fail, to have extremities amputated is not my idea of a good ending. When blood tests showed I was becomming diabetic I immediately went low carb. Changed my life Iin a wonderful way. No way I would go back now.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
How I avoid holiday gains is taking just Christmas Day off & have absolutely whatever I want - with strict Atkins adherence all the way up until and immediately following. This has always been critical for me. I stay low-carb on Thanksgiving, however.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
My strategy is just to not get caught up in the moment. Make sure I have lots of good food at home, and bring a low carb option to every place I visit.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote