LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asosanko
Stats: 266/204/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct 2009
Why is it that when I do a meat/egg fast

I feel sick? Like I want to do a strict meat and egg fast but when I eat eggs I feel sick like I don't feel full I feel nauseas.. Then when I eat a steak or some type of red meat I feel full then like an hour or two later im starving and start to eat bad low carb stuff.. that's not according to plan. I just really want to eat a clean meat and egg fast but as hard as I try its like mentally I cant do it! Help please I really want to lose 100 pounds and I keep setting myself back everyday even more I keep creating excuses for myself like ohhh ill do it tomorrow.. this needs to stop. I gained 40 pounds I am 220. I hate this!
asosanko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Instead of trying to do a quick fix, why not just do an induction type menu? Whenever I have a "restart" I always give myself a little grace to eat a little extra those first few days. I think you are probably sabotaging yourself by trying to be too strict too fast. Just try to ease into it. There's plenty of time for a meat/egg fast after your body has adjusted. Also, make sure you are eating some type of good fat with your protein. That will help you to stay satisfied.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Clean meat and egg fat can include any fats that low carb allows...you can have any combo of meats and fats...ideally only 1000 calories tho.
I have never intentionally done the meat and egg fast.
I also can not explain why you feel hungry aftr eating the steak unless it is not enough fat with your protein. Maybe add some butter on top the steak or have some cheese on the side or something.

You could also melt some cheese on the eggs or eat bacon or some other meat with them to cut down on the nausea.

Maybe give it a try an dreport back.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It is possible when you are doing meat and egg you are getting too much protein Excess protein can be converted into glucose (sugar) by your body and thus give you the same feelings you can have when eating carbs, though typically at a slower rate. You feeling nauseated and hungry after eating meat sounds like this could be happening. Maybe a more balanced low carb plan incorporating plenty of healthy fats would work better for you.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Yes makes sense.. thanks for the replies, I just feel so over weight and want to lose weight ASAP.. but I need to realize it takes time.. I was thin my whole life and gained 120 lbs and I feel out of place.. like I lost my identity. I did so well lost 80 pounds and then gained 40 back. I think sticking to Atkins induction and easing back into low carb then doing like a fat fast will be best for me. I need to exercise too.. just a lot going on in my life and ive been sleeping too much.. so depressed I don't know if anyone reads my other threads but I have a lot of mental health issues right now. I want to focus on my weight as well because my self image and self esteem really affects my mood as well... I feel like im ranting lol. thanks everyone!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paid4c4
Congratulations on starting the process to get back on LC and weight loss. It's not a sprint but marathon so slow and steady is better than starting fast then getting dissatisfied when the weight stops dropping off. I have a similar problem with eggs however I've found if I include a couple of slices of low carb toast properly buttered and sprinkled with cinnamon eggs don't bother me. I didn't use an induction program when I came back to LC and I'm doing fine.
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 193.4/182.8/125
WOE: Stillmans.Yeah, its a D-I-E-T!
If you're dealing with cravings, then it takes a number of days of clean eating to get them out of your system. Its hard to fight through those first few days, but its worth it when you crave nothing! I can't do Atkins to curb the cravings. I have to be even more restrictive and pretty much go zero carb. But, I have binge issues, so my cravings may be a bit more intense. Good luck!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I'm most familiar with the original (1972) Atkins plan. The induction phase is very restrictive on carbs but you can eat as much as you need of any Induction plan foods. The whole point is to switch your body from sugar & carb burning mode to protein & fat burning mode. The first few days, you have cravings... we are used to mixing cravings with hunger signals. Once on low carb most of us can tell the difference.
It sounds to me like you are not out of the initial craving stage. You can & probably should eat something LC every 3-4 hours during this period. Meals or snacks count. I don't care if you over eat the Induction foods because unless you can get beyond the cravings, you can never succeed.
Once you are beyond the cravings, you should eat all you need to get to the next meal without being hungry... but ONLY what you need to not be hungry. I feel you can not adjust the amount if you don't eat regularly. And everything must be on plan.

Once you are past the induction phase, you can add back small amounts of carbs. The recommended ones have the least carbs so you can have more quantity. If you stop losing or get cravings... you had too many carbs. You can go back to induction to get back on track.

You must do the induction properly & get enough Induction foods. For me the cravings are worst about day 2 of induction & gone by day 4-5.

Best Wishes

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denene
possible allergy>

are u by any chance allergic to penicillin? why i ask is because some eggs are dipped in a penicillin wash before they are sold to stores to extend their shelf life and because the shells are porous they absorb a tiny amount of it . but if u are highly allergic to it u will feel sick after eating the cooked eggs. that is whyi have o be very careful where i get my eggs. just a thought
denene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Why are you doing a meat and egg fast? It is a myth that you need to suffer the low carb flu or go through a detox period for this to be effective.

There is NO rule that you should feel sick nor have to be in pain to do this WOE. As a matter of fact, you are much more likely NOT to stick with it if you feel sick. You will not lose weight faster by doing a meat and egg fast. You MAY get into Ketosis faster if you have metabolic issues but we are talking a few days to a week or so.

DANDR recommends possibly starting out with slightly more veggie carbs if you feel bad THEN move into induction. OR you could wean yourself off carbs. OR you might need more sodium.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
There is nothing wrong with doing a meat and egg fast and it shouldn't make you sick. Too much protein can make one feel nauseated. Makes sure you are getting ample fat in your diet each day.

Many folks are eating only meat and eggs and no vegetables for whatever reason, and they do not spend everyday feeling sick or nauseated. You have to figure out if it is only some meats and if those meats are lean, and add fat, or if you are allergic to something. I doubt the same thing that is wrong with eggs would the the same thing wrong with the steak so it could be something that is missing. Drink Plenty of water, eat plenty of fatty meats and add fat to your eggs in the form of butter, or cheese, or sauce.

BTW, what is 'BAD" low carb stuff? Even in induction, you are permitted to eat meat, dairy, eggs, and all non starchy veggies, What are you considering to be bad?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Very good advice here. I would only add that consuming a couple of cups of regular sodium chicken broth may help.

Becoming ketogenic invariably disrupts the normal electrolytes to one degree or another. Some people really feel it in the form of 'induction flu' which sounds like what you are experiencing and others have no symptoms.

Be sure to eat something fatty if you are feeling like you are being drawn to carbs. One person, along time ago, suggested 2 eggs scrambled in a bit of heavy whipping cream, cooked in butter and then a pat of butter on top when ready to eat. I have to say, that is the most satisfying food.

You can do this and when you become 'adapted', it will be much easier. Let us know how you are doing?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Lots of good advice here. I regularly do egg fasts because I find that after a couple days of just bacon/sausage and eggs, my mental cravings and desire for food disappear. I do tend to drink about 2-3 cups of homemade chicken broth throughout the day as well. When I don't have homemade available, I use the Knorr's Homestyle Stock. Each little packet makes 2 cups of broth and tastes almost like homemade.

Fish and chicken are too low fat to be satisfied on (at least for me) unless covered in fatty 'sauces' and the protein count in red meat means the amount I can have leaves me feeling unsatisfied. Just 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon (a little under 1 oz cooked) or 3 little links of Bob Evans sausage get me 5 hours to the next meal.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosanko View Post
Yes makes sense.. thanks for the replies, I just feel so over weight and want to lose weight ASAP.. but I need to realize it takes time.. I was thin my whole life and gained 120 lbs and I feel out of place.. like I lost my identity. I did so well lost 80 pounds and then gained 40 back. I think sticking to Atkins induction and easing back into low carb then doing like a fat fast will be best for me. I need to exercise too.. just a lot going on in my life and ive been sleeping too much.. so depressed I don't know if anyone reads my other threads but I have a lot of mental health issues right now. I want to focus on my weight as well because my self image and self esteem really affects my mood as well... I feel like im ranting lol. thanks everyone!
I am so glad that you have made a project of yourself...now you have something to work on and hopefully this will give you something to do so you don't feel like you have no meaning or goals. Your main focus should be you if you are not happy.

I haven't done this but myself but, do you blog or have a diary? Maybe your stuggles could help someone else to not feel so alone in their struggles.

Good luck with your egg and meat fast and keep us posted
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denene View Post
are u by any chance allergic to penicillin? why i ask is because some eggs are dipped in a penicillin wash before they are sold to stores to extend their shelf life and because the shells are porous they absorb a tiny amount of it . but if u are highly allergic to it u will feel sick after eating the cooked eggs. that is whyi have o be very careful where i get my eggs. just a thought
Omg I am allergic to amoxocillin is that how you spell it wow that's odd!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for the advice I keep falling into my cravings eating dream fields.. Hot dogs.. Sugar free ice cream just bad food I need to stop if I want to achieve my goals!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denene
Quote:
Omg I am allergic to amoxocillin is that how you spell it wow that's odd!
if its only sometimes when u eat eggs it might be something t consider if its all the time with eggs and meat then i would agree with the others and guess maybe too much protean & try their suggestions or maybe ry theur suggestion anyway it cant hurt lol good luck
denene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

When I only eat eggs in the morning I just feel sick I just don't feel right it's hard to explain
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the advice I keep falling into my cravings eating dream fields.. Hot dogs.. Sugar free ice cream just bad food I need to stop if I want to achieve my goals!
Ah, I see. That is the Bad Low Carb Food. Yeah, it's hard to resist that stuff. Well, I hate to be an enabler, but I enjoy that sometimes as well. Here are some tips if you feel you must have them.

Dreamfields - Make it a component, not the main part of the meal. In other words, make a soup and crumble some of the pasta into it, or make a thick rich meaty sauce and add some cooked noodles to it casserole style. Don't have a plate of pasta with a wee bit of sauce on top. Make Fat the main Macro. Also make sure you are measuring out One serving and not just eyeballing it. In fact, you really ought to limit it while trying to lose.

Hot dogs - Well, look at the package and try to find the ones with the least sugar and carbs and enjoy them if you like them. Some people are all about avoiding the "franken foods" But Hotdogs are just like deli meat in my book. I actually prefer the ones with cheese but they are too salty to have all the time anyway. Make an Oopsie and have a hotdog in a bun with your favorite topping. I often just chop the dog up and nuke it with some cheese and salsa or some meat chili and have chili dog in a bowl.

Sugar Free Ice cream - Now, I do have ice cream but I stick to the Breyers' Low Carb ice cream, as sugar free does't mean low in carbs necessarily. When I do have it, I portion it out with my kitchen scale, and to increase the fat ratio, I drizzle it with cocoa bark syrup( ie. Magic Shell, coconut oil, and cocoa powder and sweetener) And Stop after one portion. A good idea is to prefreeze your cup/bowl so you get all of the ice cream goodness and not lose any to melting.

So there, I've told you how to endulge in your naughty foods, just don't do it too often. Maybe you should put a sticker on the calendar saying that on THIS date you will have ONE serving of that thing, but NOT any other days.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Are you sure you don't have a mild egg allergy? Maybe try with meats and fats and leave the eggs out. I will do a no carb type fast if I've fallen off, because it kills the cravings fast, but it gets boring really quickly.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Yay now I know how to indulge thank you thank you..! Hmm see that's really interesting to me maybe I do have an egg allergy well I thought about it and I think I want to eat all the foods on the acceptable foods list for atkins induction. I went to trader Joes last night and bought all kinds of good veggies to pair with my fats and protein. Eggplant.. Avocados.. Kale.. Cauliflower.. Green beans.. Tomatoes.. Yummy is it bad to have sugar free ketchup on induction?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #22

In moderation, yes.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I will just pass on the sugar free ketchup then I just love it sometimes
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #24

I'm sorry, I read you wrong. I meant, you can have it in moderation,Heinz's Reduced Sugar Ketchup is only 1g carb per Tablespoon. So you can have it in moderation.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Thanks yeah sometimes when I do eat eggs it's hard for me at least to not eat them with the sugar free ketchup I don't know doesn't taste as good to me without it
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #26

I'll have to try that, it actually sounds good, though I've never thought of it before. There is a Japanese dish called Om-Rice, it's an omelette stuffed with fried rice, and they drizzle a line of ketchup on it.

It's really good and the only time I think I've had eggs with ketchup, that I can recall.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
Asosanko, I feel exactly the same when I eat eggs, no matter how much fat I put with them! For me I think it's because I don't digest hard boiled eggs well! Scrambled in butter is fine, fried in butter also fine...but if I eat hard boiled eggs I feel quite nauseated afterwards.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
Asosanko, I feel exactly the same when I eat eggs, no matter how much fat I put with them! For me I think it's because I don't digest hard boiled eggs well! Scrambled in butter is fine, fried in butter also fine...but if I eat hard boiled eggs I feel quite nauseated afterwards.
See! lol its the complete opposite for me though hard boiled I eat those like candy.. scrambled with butter... ughhh I like them but they make me sick.. yuck.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I'll have to try that, it actually sounds good, though I've never thought of it before. There is a Japanese dish called Om-Rice, it's an omelette stuffed with fried rice, and they drizzle a line of ketchup on it.

It's really good and the only time I think I've had eggs with ketchup, that I can recall.
Om nom nom.. lol except id make this with cauliflower rice.. or miracle rice even though ive never had miracle rice. Ive heard very good things about it though
Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Don't eat eggs, I don't with the exception of those I put into thing like 1 minute muffins.

If you don't like something don't eat it.

Atkins is a very good plan and you lose weight on it quickly. Stop trying to think of ways to do it better/quicker and just do Atkins. It will come quickly enough.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote