Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #121
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I have avoided responding here, but I have to comment on the "cruise issue" that seems to have knocked Rob off low carb.

I have been eating low carb (<20g) for over 5 years and lost close to 200 lbs in the process and maintained that loss for more than 3 years.

I'm also a cruise 'junkie' and have been on at least 8 cruises during that time--and managed to eat low carb without difficulty on every cruise (3 different cruise lines). I never gained and usually lost 2-3 lbs during the cruise when I was in weight-loss mode.

I find a cruise one of the easiest places to remain low carb UNLESS the individual feels 'deprived' by all of the goodies available. As someone on one of the holiday threads mentioned, "Just because the food is there doesn't mean you have to eat it." At the breakfast and lunch buffets, there are always more than enough low-carb options--but the individual has to ignore the other 'goodies.' At dinner, the waiter will bring you anything you ask for, prepared any way you request--provided the food item is actually on the ship (it doesn't have to be on the menu).

I connect the cruise 'problem' with the current issue. In my experience, the children's sports schedule is usually known in advance, and the only way I've been able to manage my WOE (and my weight) is to anticipate and plan--and plan and plan.

This [ i.e., low-carb eating] is either a priority for a person or it isn't. And as I've learned from observing my teen-aged niece, when something is a priority, the individual finds a way to be successful. But when it's not a priority, it's always a problem.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I have avoided responding here, but I have to comment on the "cruise issue" that seems to have knocked Rob off low carb.

I have been eating low carb (<20g) for over 5 years and lost close to 200 lbs in the process and maintained that loss for more than 3 years.

I'm also a cruise 'junkie' and have been on at least 8 cruises during that time--and managed to eat low carb without difficulty on every cruise (3 different cruise lines). I never gained and usually lost 2-3 lbs during the cruise when I was in weight-loss mode.

I find a cruise one of the easiest places to remain low carb UNLESS the individual feels 'deprived' by all of the goodies available. As someone on one of the holiday threads mentioned, "Just because the food is there doesn't mean you have to eat it." At the breakfast and lunch buffets, there are always more than enough low-carb options--but the individual has to ignore the other 'goodies.' At dinner, the waiter will bring you anything you ask for, prepared any way you request--provided the food item is actually on the ship (it doesn't have to be on the menu).

I connect the cruise 'problem' with the current issue. In my experience, the children's sports schedule is usually known in advance, and the only way I've been able to manage my WOE (and my weight) is to anticipate and plan--and plan and plan.

This [ i.e., low-carb eating] is either a priority for a person or it isn't. And as I've learned from observing my teen-aged niece, when something is a priority, the individual finds a way to be successful. But when it's not a priority, it's always a problem.
I agree. Its not the cruises, the schedule, the restaurants, the activities, or anything but the fact that he's not ready to commit. His commitment will come when it comes.

But I think its important to know when you are making excuses that you want to believe, rather than just accepting that you're not ready to do it.

Sometimes reading books can really help. There are tons of books out there that can "condition" your attitude, Rob. Look into doing some reading. I think it makes it easier to make yourself take the leap.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rob71
Before he cruise if the food had carbs I would not eat it. On the cruise I ate whatever as that is part of the cruise experience - trying food I would not eat at home. Steaks get boring. But I can see how to to eat low carb on a cruise just not of he menu. Anyway that is over with.

I do need to do this and do it now. Just need to find balance. Need to plan as I have not planned well. Any ideas on meals that I can take wih me that will not need to be cooled. I have a lunch box cooler but the cepacks do not make it through the day. If I eat breakfast at home "and bring lunch in the cooler and snacks where how can I keep dinner as well - 12-14 hours in the cooler. And something that will not need to be heated up as eating in the car on he run.

As for grilling now, I hate the cold wih a passion. And when I get home after 7 it's dark out. Can't see what I am cooking

How many carbs in this meal that I made not as bland but still not full of flavor

Took two big chicken cutlets and pounded them a little. Took paprika. Chipotle powder, chili powder, garlic powder. Salt and pepper and Italian seasoning and cover the chicken breasts on both sides.

Olive oil heated up. Cut up red pepper and onion. Sisters until soft. Added 2 cloves of minced garlic. Then placed both chicken breasts over the pepper/onions and placed a lid. About 7 minutes flipped the chicken and cooked to chicken temp was 160. Cut breast in half and served with some of the peppers and onions. Chicken did not have allot of flavor.

How many carbs in that? How could I make it better with lots more flavor?
1/15/14 - Trying to get back on LC - Weigh 225
rob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

What kind of books to "condition" my thinking?
Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
What kind of books to "condition" my thinking?
Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories," "Wheat Belly," "Grain Brain," are a few recent ones.

I'm reading Grain Brain at the moment.

Reading about what you need to do helps put your head "in the moment."
Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #126
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Before he cruise if the food had carbs I would not eat it. On the cruise I ate whatever as that is part of the cruise experience - trying food I would not eat at home. Steaks get boring. But I can see how to to eat low carb on a cruise just not of he menu. Anyway that is over with.

I do need to do this and do it now. Just need to find balance. Need to plan as I have not planned well. Any ideas on meals that I can take wih me that will not need to be cooled. I have a lunch box cooler but the cepacks do not make it through the day. If I eat breakfast at home "and bring lunch in the cooler and snacks where how can I keep dinner as well - 12-14 hours in the cooler. And something that will not need to be heated up as eating in the car on he run.

As for grilling now, I hate the cold wih a passion. And when I get home after 7 it's dark out. Can't see what I am cooking

How many carbs in this meal that I made not as bland but still not full of flavor

Took two big chicken cutlets and pounded them a little. Took paprika. Chipotle powder, chili powder, garlic powder. Salt and pepper and Italian seasoning and cover the chicken breasts on both sides.

Olive oil heated up. Cut up red pepper and onion. Sisters until soft. Added 2 cloves of minced garlic. Then placed both chicken breasts over the pepper/onions and placed a lid. About 7 minutes flipped the chicken and cooked to chicken temp was 160. Cut breast in half and served with some of the peppers and onions. Chicken did not have allot of flavor.

To be honest I do feel for you: you're a guy who isn't used to cooking, and if your wife's not on board with the meal planning, it makes it tough.

Couple things: Don't be afraid to use fat to add flavor, and make friends with the crockpot. Its not grillin' season right now!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

I make this dinner every week:

1. Put two whole roasting chickens into a pan, throw the gizzard/heart in the bottom of the pan.

2. Dust the chickens with a ton of herbs and spices, plus salt.

3. Put chickens in the oven at 325 for 2.5 hours.

Chickens will make their own rich gravy at the bottom of the pan. Steam your favorite vegetable. Cauliflower you can mash up, broccoli or brussels sprouts, too. Pour gravy all over chicken and vegetables.

So easy. So delicious!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #128
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Get the meat on the heat. Let the chicken come in contact with the fat in the skillet and get a nice brown skin. Olive oil , unless it's a dark, rich, imported brand, is very bland to me, I'd use butter or bacon fat to cook in. then take the chicken out, add some more butter the the skillet and scrape up the stuck bits of chicken and veggies, add a wee bit of chicken broth, and stir it up ,and pour over the chicken. Breast meat is pretty boring and bland, I prefer thigh meat, it's juicier, and has a stronger flavor than breast meat. Sometimes I will cook a breast , like a boil in bag, till it's just done, then I slice it up into rounds, and then pan fry it with seasonings. That way I get flavor on more surfaces of the chicken and get the seasoning flavor with each bite instead of only on the outside surface of the whole breast. Last time , I sauteed some mushrooms, then I added some oil and then added the almost cooked , sliced chicken to the skillet. I added some lemon, pepper, vinegar, paprika. Then I took the chicken out and in the leftover fat and water in the skillet I added some whole seed mustard, and hot sauce, some more balsamic vinegar, and stirred it on med heat till it dried up some and became sticky, and poured that over the chicken and mushrooms. Use whatever flavors you like, you might not like mustard and vinegar, but they do add a lot of flavor.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

OK - I will try not to make any more excuses. I just need to work on how to cook and prepare better. I was/am stating that all the running around has changed the free time I had to prepare/plan. I did not adapt well to the change and this is where I am. I have to learn how to plan better period. When we did plan and I was cooking (outdoors - smoker/grill) it was easy and it worked (30 lbs down). Using the cruise as a point of reference of where I fell off the bandwagon. There were choices I guess I should have made better but I did not - it's over and done with. I will to work on how to judge whats in foods when ordering or going somewhere where I am not cooking it.

In search of good recipes to make that are mostly easy and quick cooks as well as some more elaborate cooks to get my hunger/cravings away from stuff I cant eat anymore. I am working on this.

You are correct I am not used to cooking (indoors) and maybe I should take a few classes. I do not grasp the concept of making sauces/combinations of foods to induce flavor. Been brainwashed to stay away from fat and calories for so long its hard to understand. To tell you the truth I do not know what I would like and not like. I dont want to make a meal I will not like as its a waste of money and then what do you do make another meal I guess.

Here are some foods/meals I like and questions

- Steak on occasion - they get boring but a real good one ($$$$) is better. I do not like them cooking them in a frying pan in the water that comes out of them. Grilled is better.
-Brisket, pulled pork (Over the summer when smoked overnight)
- Beef (Meatloaf - would like to find a better recipe as the od way we made it with 4C Seasoned breadcrumbs added more flavor than without)
- Chicken - Need to find a way to make it taste like something other than chicken.
- Fish - I love fish = Wife does not so we barely make it.
-Sausage/peppers - like it but is that not low in carbs (induction levels)?
- Bacon a little but not allot (not a salt lover).
- eggs
- cheese
- Spinach, brussels sprouts (Wife wont eat either)
- brocolli, cauliflower (Mashed cauliflower is good - but isn't this higher in carbs as well - meaning ~9-10 carbs per serving? What is the serving amount - 1/2 cup?), carrots
- spaghetti squash (I like the flavor - not the texture but I do eat it)

Foods I miss allot - Chicken parmigiana (Tried grilled and its OK but lack of flavor from the breading), shrimp parmigiana (Both of these are breaded, covered in mozzarella cheese and buried in tomato sauce) - with some pasta, Pizza, Mexican meals out (enchiladas, burritos), chips/salsa, Hamburger with bun and ketchup (OK I can do it without the bun but not without ketchup at 5G+ carbs per burger) add a side vegetable and that meal can be over 15 carbs fast.

Note - I tried this and its awesome
Cindy's Kitchen Barcelona/Mediterranean-Style Salad dressing - 0 carbs
Cindy's Kitchen Product: Barcelona Vinaigrette | Mediterranean Style

We have a plan for Thanksgiving

Wild mushroom soup (Low carb)
Smoked Turkey
Home made low carb gravy (Trying to make turkey stock on Wednesday)
Cauliflower mashed
Brussels sprouts with Bacon bits
Sausage stuffing (LC)
Salad

I do not need it but possible a small low carb cheesecake

The rest are eating
Smoked Turkey
Home made low carb gravy
Mashed potatos
Sausage stuffing (LC) and normal
sweet potato pie
green beans
Cranberry sauce
Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #131
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: webgrrl
Stats: 252/235/154
WOE: LC Induction
Start Date: Jan. 24th, 2002. Restart 11/19/13
Restarting for the 3rd time

So far so good. My DWish is doing it with me so there's more motivation to plan ahead, shop, cook etc. I lost 50lbs the first time. The second time was a total bust. This time i'm relearning a lot of what I forgot.

ETA: Funnily enough i just looked at my stats and my current weight is exactly the same as last time i updated it... 235. I got up to 252 about 9 months ago and have been taking phentermine on and off since then.

Last edited by webgrrl; 11-21-2013 at 10:10 AM..
webgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #132
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Here are some foods/meals I like and questions

- Steak on occasion - they get boring but a real good one ($$$$) is better. I do not like them cooking them in a frying pan in the water that comes out of them. Grilled is better.
Grilled Steak is always better. Have it with butter. You can soften butter and whip it with herbs and spices, then when it's time for dinner, take a dollop and let it melt over your meat or veggies.

Quote:
-Brisket, pulled pork (Over the summer when smoked overnight)
That's good as well, see if you can do a fattier pork instead of a leaner cut.

Quote:
- Beef (Meatloaf - would like to find a better recipe as the od way we made it with 4C Seasoned breadcrumbs added more flavor than without)
I still don't see how breadcrumbs add that much "flavor" it's just bread, in meatballs it's just used to hold the meat together and give it a less meat-lump texture. Use SEASONING that would normally be on the bread crumbs, it's the seasonings, not the bread, that gives it flavor. If you still have the package of 4C Breadcrumbs, just look at the ingredient list and use those same seasonings. I don't know if you like pork rinds, but crushed pork rinds provide the same effect as bread crumbs in keep the meat from settling into a meat lump.

Quote:
- Chicken - Need to find a way to make it taste like something other than chicken.
Check out some shredded chicken recipes, and online recipes and videos

Quote:
- Fish - I love fish = Wife does not so we barely make it.
Make it for yourself, It's your mouth and body, not hers, she doesn't have to eat it. If you love it, Make it.

Quote:
-Sausage/peppers - like it but is that not low in carbs (induction levels)?
Probably Not, but you don't have to have EVERY meal at induction level, you can have a meal that is higher in carbs and a next meal that is lower in carbs and still keep your daily goal.

Quote:
- Bacon a little but not allot (not a salt lover).
Some people rinse their bacon,....too much effort for me

Quote:
- eggs
- cheese
- Spinach, brussels sprouts (Wife wont eat either) and.....
- brocolli, cauliflower (Mashed cauliflower is good - but isn't this higher in carbs as well - meaning ~9-10 carbs per serving? What is the serving amount - 1/2 cup?), carrots
- spaghetti squash (I like the flavor - not the texture but I do eat it)
I'm sorry I dont even think about the carbs in mashed cauliflower, it's so full of butter, cream cheese, cheddar and bacon, I forget it's a vegetable. No I don't think it's that high in carbs, but it also depends on how much you eat. do you use a food calculator? There are dozens online, just put in the ingredients of your recipe and it will tell you how much is in the whole recipe and you can figure out the servings you want to have based on that.

Quote:
Foods I miss allot - Chicken parmigiana (Tried grilled and its OK but lack of flavor from the breading), shrimp parmigiana (Both of these are breaded, covered in mozzarella cheese and buried in tomato sauce) - with some pasta, Pizza, Mexican meals out (enchiladas, burritos), chips/salsa, Hamburger with bun and ketchup .
Seriously, It's NOT THE BREAD, It's the seasonings! Coat it in parmesan cheese and fry it . then smother it in tomato sauce, which is also carby, but less so than cauliflower, but don't worry so much about that, it's still going to be lower than the High Carb counterpart.

Quote:
(OK I can do it without the bun but not without ketchup at 5G+ carbs per burger) add a side vegetable and that meal can be over 15 carbs fast.
Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup is 1g of carb per serving.

Quote:
I do not need it but possible a small low carb cheesecake
Go for it! Use ground up nuts to make a crust if you want a crust, otherwise go crustless.

Quote:
The rest are eating
Smoked Turkey
Home made low carb gravy
Mashed potatos
Sausage stuffing (LC) and normal
sweet potato pie
green beans
Cranberry sauce
Good for them, so long as you have some foods you will enjoy, they can enjoy whatever they want and you can be happy too!
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Rob, your Thanksgiving menu sounds delicious!

Re: bacon
I note that you mentioned you don't really care for it as you find it too salty. Just wanted to let you know that, although I buy the Gwaltney thick cut 'No Sugar Added' bacon, I noticed the other day that they also have a 'low sodium' variety. You might want to try looking for that; I actually considered buying it as I don't think too much sodium is good for me but in the end I decided that it probably will be better to eat the no sugar variety since it is lower in carbs.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
Blood sugar as a test is only useful once you have actually moved into the pre-diabetic or diabetic range. The more insightful test that gives you a lot more information in the early stages, which doctors do not want to give you, is the fasting insulin test. Anything over 10 is insulin resistance. Mine is 12.8 I think, 12.something. I have insulin resistance. All my blood sugar readings are normal. Insulin resistance comes first, then later comes pre-diabetes and diabetes.

Doctors should always measure fasting insulin levels.
Seeking....is this the 3 hour test?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Still trying here. Got to get my will power back in full gear. I did good all last week until after Thanksgiving dinner. I had some cookies and whamo -off the tracks I went. Most weekend was a mess as well but back at it again today.

Good news is the low carb stuffing we made was awesome - can not replace my wifes normal bread stuffing but it was good and a meal all by itself. Will be making that again soon - just for me.

Sausage and Herb Stuffing
Stuffing is commonly made with bread or croutons, which makes it off limits to low-carbers. But it doesn’t have to be made that way. There’s nothing wrong – and everything right – with substituting chopped vegetables to make up the missing bulk. So don’t get stuffed. Try this recipe instead of all that bread!

3/4 pound turkey sausage (you may use pork breakfast sausage)
1/4 cup finely chopped celery?1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 eggs
2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower
1/2 cup diced yellow squash?1/2 cup grated Parmesan?1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves?3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves?3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves?1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Equipment: 8 by 8-inch square baking dish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.?
1. Remove sausage from casing and crumble it into a pan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook, stirring, until browned. Drain fat if necessary.
2. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Using a spoon, mix in the sausage mixture and all the remaining ingredients.
3. Pour the stuffing into the baking dish and bake until hot and browned, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Yield: 8 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy
Calories: 120
Total Fat: 2
Saturated Fat: 2
Carbohydrates: 3
Fiber: 1
Old 12-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:

What I see missing - salt. Lots and lots of salt, not just a light sprinkling on the breasts. Maybe add some acid, like a vinegar or lemon juice, as well. You need salt and acid to brighten up flavors and make your herb and spice selections pop. I have had dozens of recipes that were bland as written - I usually up the salt and add an acid or alcohol and bam! It is immensely better almost instantly. When it doubt, more of both ingredients, if you have plenty of seasoning already in there.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories," "Wheat Belly," "Grain Brain," are a few recent ones.

I'm reading Grain Brain at the moment.

Reading about what you need to do helps put your head "in the moment."
This is such great advice.n I'm doing it right now - reading GCBC, rereading Atkins, looking to purchase "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living". Whenever I'm feeling blah reading and researching more about this diet reminds me anew of why I chose it and have stuck with it unfailingly. It gets me fired back up and is that extra little push I need to stay on track and no start justifying bad decisions that don't get me closer to my health objectives.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote