Old 11-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
This is what I would do
1. Kick the 5 meals to the curb .Start the day with a mega breakfast with at least 50 g of protein and liberal fat. Eat again at lunch time with carb added or add carbs with dinner . I think you might like an egg frittata which is basically an open faced omelette with added bacon small amount of pepers and or chili for flavour. If bacon and eggs sound good to you on their own so much the better. Oh yeah make salami and pepperoni your friend .It is a strong taste that helps when things appear to be bland,

2. For two weeks only kick the social dinners to the curb. Once you are on track they will be a lot easier instead of interrupting your new routine every time. Don't be restrictive in amounts of food,except for teh carbs side. Do not be afraid of fat.

3. I am reading between the lines that money is not such a big issue so take a Sunday out with 10 lbs of beef and make meatballs. Your recipe is excellent.You could substitute the flour with parmesan cheese or grated cheddar. This will become your go to meal if you get home late. Your lemon and basil chicken is saveable too but marinate it over night and give it a bit of zing with chile .substitute fresh coriander and why not add a shot of tequila when cookng it.You can cook off the alcohol

4. Cold day staple. Cabbage bacon and cream soup

5. Don't exercise if you don't like it .It will reinforce the "I am so deprived of everything mood" A lot of experts are now coming round to the idea that exercise is not the be all and end all . Especially with low carb you will not have the energy in the initial stages of your weight loss. I never exercised and while my losses were slow I lost 50lbs ,a figure I had not actually realised until writing now

6. Food IS entertainment. . Our festivities are based around it as it used to be in limited supply. The traditions remain,eating together is good for your wellbeing but you can tweak the menu. TG for example Turkey ,green beans in butter sauce,cauliflower cheese ( a british recipe) . Dessert a ricotta cheesecake which you can bring from the star baker that just got into town (you!) and that really does not need baking at all . Google lo carb TG cheesecake and you will find. Do not eat on everyone else´s plate . They have something yummy and so do you. Do not tell them it is low carb but tell them that it is your new "thing" where you cannot put the spoon down . Make a large cake,they will want to try. There is a lot of evidence on this board for this. If you tell people it is locarb they immediately go into a defensive mode as you obviously want to nix THEIR dessert. When you advertise it as the best thing since sliced bread( very debatable the bread part ) they will come.

7. If food is so important to you ,make it your passtime to learn about it . It can actually become your friend again. Not every day ,anyone has ruts but in general once you are liberated from traditional recipes the world is really your oyster.

8. If you need a balance for the loss of carbfood I found that I can eat music but then I am a girl and such notions are more acceptable for us .However in the privacy of your own home there is nothing like getting a bit eccentric and nurturing an alter ego.

Have fun is the best advice I can give you . With food without food ,lots of laughter. As far as American comedians is concerned George Carlin is probably my favourite and when looking at the trials and tribulations of this WOE it is kind of comforting to know that the rest of the world that thinks itself perfect ain't in that hot a shape either .
Good luck !

I agree about food being your friend! When you aren't lethargic from carb or alcohol overload, creating recipes can be fun. It is very satisfying to finish a big, bubbling and beautiful lowcarb dish just waiting for you to eat. We get to eat fats and cheese, so this is a very satisfying way to eat.

And yes, have fun. Smile. Embrace the WOE, accept that it is your fate, and relax within your acceptance. With acceptance comes peace. And soon: not immediately, but soon: Weight loss!

Best to you.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:
I also think one of the main cooking issues I dont understand the spices and sauces.
PBS has some excellent instructional cooking shows. I don't get the Cooking Channel but I've heard some of those are worthwhile for learning technique. The more you are exposed to cooking, the more you develop a feel for it, and the easier it gets to create tasty flavor combinations.

None of us were born understanding this stuff.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rob71
I want to learn to cook and like doing it - just dont have a clue besides smoking a piece of meat on my smoker. using the techniques I use on the grill in the house dont come close. Now that winter is here I will be doing allot less grill/smoking style cooking.

There are things I want to to cook - for example - braised short ribs - but they are usually done in red wine and that's high in carbs.
rob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SitLongTalkMuch
Stats: 164.8/134.2/???
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: 02/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post

Meatballs without breadcrumbs - I have used my method of making meatballs - ground beef, parsley flakes, Italian seasoning, basil leaves, garlic powder, eggs, salt, pepper, and seasoned breadcrumbs. I usually mix all these together the pan fry then throw into a sauce for a few hours. - I have tried a few times the same recipe without the breadcrumbs and baking in sauce to frying them in a pan then baking them in a pan in the oven then putting a little sauce over them and serve. They do NOT taste the same. They taste plain and basically more "Earthier" from the other spices. Then to eat them without pasta - that another issue - and yes we now make spaghetti squash and its good but its not pasta.
Substitute parmesan cheese for the breadcrumbs I did that even before I heard the term lc.

Quit dumping "green" spices on your meat that sounds horrible especially with the lemon juice added. Linda's low carb site has lots of tasty recipes so start there.
SitLongTalkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
One of my favorites is chicken breast marinated in lemon juice rosemary (green spice) dijon mustard garlic and salt and pepper grilled.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #96
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SitLongTalkMuch
Stats: 164.8/134.2/???
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: 02/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHLEY2HAWAII View Post
One of my favorites is chicken breast marinated in lemon juice rosemary (green spice) dijon mustard garlic and salt and pepper grilled.
Yes this sounds good, but I was reading his technique as just sprinkling the raw meat with "green" (his term) spices and lemon juice and then cooking. It didn't sound appealing at all and may be why he is not satisfied with lc dishes.
SitLongTalkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #97
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Just dump it on a piece of chicken or steak or ground beef?
Those are the approximate proportions that I premix all of that stuff in an empty spice container. I keep it around and season everything with it, to taste.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I've really enjoyed this looooong thread, read every bit of it. I've enjoyed it for all those here who are upbeat and who have done their homework and made the effort to make a LC lifestyle interesting and tasty. I have collected some more good ideas here, and I always appreciate that.

I think this thread got so many responses for VERY GOOD REASONS. There are so many here who have found a WAY, a good way, to eat well on LC and not be bummed out every day because of what they can't have every day.

I love this about this community. So many folks who have been there, done that. So many folks who have made the effort and found a whole new way of eating that IS good. So many folks who are trying every day, in every way, with so many good ideas here it makes my head spin.

You guys are all my heroes, and I depend on your staunch and positive approach. I've learned so much from all of you. Thanks. Ever so.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #99
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
I also think one of the main cooking issues I dont understand the spices and sauces. Over the past 5 months I read the cans on everything we buy. If its got carbs I dont buy it (the other half - that is another story).

Sauces for example - How do I make a good gravy for turkey without flour and or turkey drippings. All the jarred sauces are loaded with carbs.

Sauces for beef - just soy sauce and worchestshire and sump it over the top?
Just realize that spices are made out of vegetables, and vegetables have carbs so spices will have carbs, but that is not bad, it's just what it is. Paprika is dried ground red pepper, but we don't shun the pepper cause it has carbs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitLongTalkMuch View Post
Substitute parmesan cheese for the breadcrumbs I did that even before I heard the term lc.

Quit dumping "green" spices on your meat that sounds horrible especially with the lemon juice added. Linda's low carb site has lots of tasty recipes so start there.
I agree, use Color not only in your salad but in your spices. Get some curry, some paprika, some, jerk seasonings, Some Chinese 5-spice, some miso both red and white, there are light and dark soy sauces, fish sauce, pickapella steak sauce. Yes they have some carbs but 1 or 2 carbs per serving for a whole meal worth of meat is minimal and negligible. Onion powder, garlic powder, sesame oil both plain and toasted, Use Herb Blends, not just single herbs use Basil and Garlic Blend, or Dill and Onion. Put some paprika on your mashed cauliflower and put it under the roaster for a few minutes.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #100
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
I don't eat allot of fat either. I have been trying to lower my cholesterol/triglycerides along this path. So I have been low carb and low fat where possible. LC is easy in the summer time with grilling but now winter is here and its dark early I dont have allot of time for grilling/smoking meals.

That being said I have had more bacon in the past 5 months then in the past 10 years. I have eaten more ground beef (80/20) then ground turkey meat. More eggs than eggbeaters/whites only. And butter which I hardly ate. I am wondering if my cholesterol numbers have gone up due to the increased fat intake - wont know until the end of December (next possible DR appt). I am allergic to Statins - cholesterol meds.
I would not be happy on a low carb nutrition plan either if I tried doing it low fat. You need to increase your fat intake with healthy fats.

Fat from food has very little impact on our cholesterol levels. That is mostly from cholesterol our bodies make.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
If you like to smoke meat, I want to suggest you try "Alabama white barbecue sauce" on smoked chicken (or really anything - I eat it on smoked pork butt, too). It is the most low-carb friendly sauce, and I make sure there is always a jar in the fridge. Google it to find a recipe, but mine is just:

1 part apple cider vinegar
2 parts mayo (Duke's if possible)
A squeeze of lemon juice
A healthy amount of black pepper, to taste

Mix it all up and enjoy!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #102
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I would not be happy on a low carb nutrition plan either if I tried doing it low fat. You need to increase your fat intake with healthy fats.

Fat from food has very little impact on our cholesterol levels. That is mostly from cholesterol our bodies make.
^This!

Low fat can potentially worsen your 'cholesterol'. What raises it is carbs and bad dietary oils.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Suzanne R
Stats: 256/205/160
WOE: Low Carb/VSG
Start Date: March 2013
Food Addiction and this WOE

Rob, I hope you are doing better.
When I read your posts I see lots of myself in your words - a lot of "I can't" or "what would the doc think of butter".
We are all addicted to eating. We eat when we feel good, bad, bored, are celebrating...lonely, tired, angry....the list goes on. We are stuffing feelings by stuffing our faces.
I have been, like you, very defeated and making reasons that "I can't".
Stop. You can. Read about low carb - it is NOT low fat.
There are tons of things to eat that are fast and easy. No, it's not Pizza Hut. But it's good - eating out? A steak with butter on it, a big salad?
You're painting yourself into a corner - and (this is tough love, not flaming you) you are making excuses. Want wine or to cook with wine? Go ahead. We didn't get fat (and metabolically resistant, diabetic, hypertensive, breathless, have heart disease or sleep apnea) from wine. We got it from carbs and sugar. Of course I realize that wine has both, but the issue is that eating crap food "because you have to keep under x grams of carbs in a meal and I can't do that so low carb sucks and its not worth is cause I run around too much" is a big self-defeating I hate myself excuse.
You're worth it. But you gotta think that you are worth it, not me. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: asosanko
Stats: 266/204/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
I've really enjoyed this looooong thread, read every bit of it. I've enjoyed it for all those here who are upbeat and who have done their homework and made the effort to make a LC lifestyle interesting and tasty. I have collected some more good ideas here, and I always appreciate that.

I think this thread got so many responses for VERY GOOD REASONS. There are so many here who have found a WAY, a good way, to eat well on LC and not be bummed out every day because of what they can't have every day.

I love this about this community. So many folks who have been there, done that. So many folks who have made the effort and found a whole new way of eating that IS good. So many folks who are trying every day, in every way, with so many good ideas here it makes my head spin.

You guys are all my heroes, and I depend on your staunch and positive approach. I've learned so much from all of you. Thanks. Ever so.

Awwwwwww
asosanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne R View Post
Rob, I hope you are doing better.
When I read your posts I see lots of myself in your words - a lot of "I can't" or "what would the doc think of butter".
We are all addicted to eating. We eat when we feel good, bad, bored, are celebrating...lonely, tired, angry....the list goes on. We are stuffing feelings by stuffing our faces.
I have been, like you, very defeated and making reasons that "I can't".
Stop. You can. Read about low carb - it is NOT low fat.
There are tons of things to eat that are fast and easy. No, it's not Pizza Hut. But it's good - eating out? A steak with butter on it, a big salad?
You're painting yourself into a corner - and (this is tough love, not flaming you) you are making excuses. Want wine or to cook with wine? Go ahead. We didn't get fat (and metabolically resistant, diabetic, hypertensive, breathless, have heart disease or sleep apnea) from wine. We got it from carbs and sugar. Of course I realize that wine has both, but the issue is that eating crap food "because you have to keep under x grams of carbs in a meal and I can't do that so low carb sucks and its not worth is cause I run around too much" is a big self-defeating I hate myself excuse.
You're worth it. But you gotta think that you are worth it, not me. Good luck.
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Hi all - Blew it big time this weekend but will try again.

Saturday started out good the crashed and burned fast. Son had a Hockey game 1 1/2 hours away so we stopped at Dunkin Donuts at 6:00 AM and I got a coffee w/ half n half and Equal and a sausage, egg and cheese croissant(wife ate the croissant). After hockey and before the next kids event we drove 1.5 hours and there would be 3 more hours before we got home so we fed the kids McDonalds on the way and I was very hungry nad getting lightheaded so I got a quarter pounder burger and ate the bun as well as it was too messy to eat the meat only while driving. Cant have a fork and knife with a plate in my lap and drive.

Dinner - I have no idea how many carbs. See below

Sunday - Another mess - Kids Hockey game in the morning did the DD routine but the croissant was stuck to the egg so I ate one side of the croissant as well. Lunch had some ham from the fridge leftover from Friday night (I hate leftovers as they are always dried out and never taste the same/good).

Dinner was a mess - went to a real hockey game - try and find low carb at a sporting event - hahahaha. Hot dogs with buns, breaded chicken fingers. Not like I can sit down and eat with a knife and fork at a sporting event so I blew it and said might as well have a few beers since I am already carbing it up.

I guess planning would have been better but it wasn't. I do not know what else I could have done in these circumstances unless not eat at all.

Tomorrow is my birthday and wife wants to take me out to dinner without the kids so we can enjoy it. So I am already thinking how I could go low carb and get a great meal out at dinner. I love Italian food and sauce but I know that is not low carb. Steak sounds good but for $30 the steaks are horrible locally unless we go to a high end steak house and spend $50 plus and I can make a better one at home. Who knows - I guess just stay home and make something I guess. Under allot of stress is making this allot worse. Lots of hours working, kids here and there, feel exhausted, and very irritable. Trying not to use food as an out for stress but its building up and wearing me out.

Got to restart simple and get going with some basic good no/low carb food to get me excited to stick with low carb eating more than a few days. I did it for 3+ months but just can not stick with it now. I dont know if its the added stress or what it is. Trying to get to the DR soon to see what he says and if the 25-30 lbs I lost made a difference in blood pressure, cholesterol, etc levels. It does not feel like it to be honest.

Anyways I made this on Saturday night - I can I figure out the carbs in a dish like this? Or since it had some bread crumbs/flour I should not have eaten it.

Asiago-Crusted Chicken

3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 T chopped parsley
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 T water
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Pommery Mustard Sauce

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup whole grain mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 ts pepper

directions

Asiago-Crusted Chicken

1 Mix the cheese breadcrumbs, and parsley in a shallow bowl. Pour the flour onto a plate. Whisk the egg and water together in a separate shallow bowl.
2 Liberally season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour and shake off excess. Dip in the egg wash, then coat on all sides with Asiago breadcrumbs.
3 Place a large, nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and cook, turning once, for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown ont he oatside and no longer pink on the inside.
4 Serve immediately, accompanied by mustard sauce.

Pommery Mustard Sauce - Pour the cream into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the mustard, salt and pepper and decrease heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, until reduced by half. the sauce should coat the back of a spoon. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
1/15/14 - Trying to get back on LC - Weigh 225
Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
I work in the field so I sometimes have to grab some McDonald's burgers. Its rare that i have to but sometimes I do. I remove the buns from 2 mcdoubles and use the wrapper as a holder. It works.

Recently at mcdonalds in the morning, (in fact it was my very first lowcarb day in this go-round!) I found the sausage and egg mcmuffins 2 for $3. When I removed the buns, it was 2 sausage patties plus 2 rounded poached eggs! I just slid it into the wrapper and it was SO filling!

I always get a salad when I'm out to dinner. Sometimes, honestly; the salad sucks. My food at home is always SO MUCH better.

Boston Market is a good option, you can get rotisserie chicken and steamed vegetables.

Its kind of like an alcoholic with the booze; with an alcohol quit you don't drink alcohol no matter what.

With the diet, you don't eat grains or sugar no matter what.

The no grains/no sugar/no starch/no alcohol is really my only hard and fast rule at this point.

You just kinda "eat around" the rule, and when you get home, make something awesome.

Its like pregnancy. You are either pregnant, or you're not. You are either eating right, or you aren't. I admit it sometimes really sucks. Today for instance, I'd love to have some real dessert (a whole cheesecake? A whole pan of brownies?) but I don't eat that kind of food *no matter what*.

Stick to the rules all the time, even if its hard, even if you're out of the house all day/all evening, and you will eventually make a lot of progress. It may take some time, but you'll make progress.

Last edited by moonmirror; 11-18-2013 at 02:22 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/137.4/149
Start Date: restart 8/13
Rob...you've got a lot of excuses...! I have a suggestion...if this doesn't work for you..and you really don't want to do what's necessary...look around to find something you are more comfortable with

There are a zillion eating plans...find one you are willing to do..without making excuses...

Know that ANY healthy eating plan has rules....to successfully lose and bring health to your life, there are always restraints...a need to change your mindset...to value health more than inconvenience....

Here's hoping you find that path!
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
After hockey and before the next kids event we drove 1.5 hours and there would be 3 more hours before we got home so we fed the kids McDonalds on the way and I was very hungry nad getting lightheaded so I got a quarter pounder burger and ate the bun as well as it was too messy to eat the meat only while driving. Cant have a fork and knife with a plate in my lap and drive.

Dinner - I have no idea how many carbs. See below

Sunday - Another mess - Kids Hockey game in the morning did the DD routine but the croissant was stuck to the egg so I ate one side of the croissant as well.

Dinner was a mess - went to a real hockey game - try and find low carb at a sporting event - hahahaha. Hot dogs with buns, breaded chicken fingers. Not like I can sit down and eat with a knife and fork at a sporting event so I blew it and said might as well have a few beers since I am already carbing it up.

I guess planning would have been better but it wasn't. I do not know what else I could have done in these circumstances unless not eat at all.

Tomorrow is my birthday and wife wants to take me out to dinner without the kids so we can enjoy it. So I am already thinking how I could go low carb and get a great meal out at dinner. I love Italian food and sauce but I know that is not low carb. Steak sounds good but for $30 the steaks are horrible locally unless we go to a high end steak house and spend $50 plus and I can make a better one at home. Who knows - I guess just stay home and make something I guess. Under allot of stress is making this allot worse. Lots of hours working, kids here and there, feel exhausted, and very irritable. Trying not to use food as an out for stress but its building up and wearing me out.

There are many ways that you could have made your weekend low carb, and no it would not entail not eating anything at all. 1) the quarter pounder in the car: eat wrapped in a lettuce leaf or holding it in the wrapper. Or stop for five minutes in the parking lot and eat with a fork and knife; 2) croissant stuck to egg: order without the croissant or just scrape off as much as you can before eating. 3) hockey game food: hot dog or burger without the bun, again using lettuce leaf or wrapper as a holder. Yes, it's a little messier, but can be done. 4) birthday dinner: go to the Italian restaurant. There are plenty of options! antipasto platter, caprese salad, protein dish with creamy sauce and vegetables, no starches. 5) the chicken asiago: replace the panko with low carb bread crumbs and the flour with almond flour/coconut flour or similar. Or choose something without bread and flour. I don't see any insurmountable problems here.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

My excuses are because every time I do good for a few days them something comes up where I am out and about and I did not plan for it I end up grabbing whatever to eat and there blows 3 days of LC and trying to get back into ketosis to lose weight. The scale finally registered - 5 lbs back on and I can tell but the way my shirts fit as I went and got all new XL shirts as the XXL's were too big. Now I have to go buy more XXL shirts to get by until I lose weight if it happens.

Made the low carb Jambalaya soup for dinner last night (pretty good) - It states 7 Net carbs per serving - I guess that is 1 cup's worth? if that's the case I ate more than that and more like 2 cups. so 14G carbs in one meal - that would leave 6 for the rest of the day. Not good.

I have to find what works for me and get back into planning and making my own meals regardless what others eat in the house (not an easy task and will make friction) but it is what it is.

When I started LC in July it was easier for me - easy to plan and cook as we had a lot less to do and more time to cook/prepare meals. I had a hard time the first week with the shakes, dizzyness, weakness but got through it. it was light out when I got home so cooking outdoors was easy - I hate cooking in the house and I dont like the way the food comes out.

Now when I try I do not get those symptoms after 3 days so I doubt I am getting into ketosis and will take much longer now. Possible need to go less than 10 carbs a day for a week or so. I need to exercise but when? 3 AM and get 2 hours of sleep a night? losing 30lbs did not affect my sleep apnea one bit - I actually sleep worse the past few months. I will say when doing strict low carb I never felt "energized" - what could I have done wrong? What does it feel like to get to your goal weight or close and feel satisfied?

I am not saying it does not work. I went off the wagon and can't get back on. I was planning on a lifestyle change and it was going that way until we went on vacation. A few days off of LC and I am gaining weight - great. I guess changing lifestyles means changing everything. Meaning staying away from places that serve high carb foods or where I can make my own meals only. Taking another cruise? probably means no if I want Low Carb. Same for beach resorts - Unless I can shop and cook my own meals it means no. Same for an alcoholic - they do not go to bars. Our social life revolves around dining out allot - that needs to be cut out to eliminate the temptation to eat carbs.

Those of you that were in the similar role of dining out for entertainment and eating - What did you do to replace it as a social event?

Just looking for answers - not trying argue or disrespect any of you - these are just my thoughts/feelings?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Coming late to this thread, but I wanted to add:

Discovering JUDDD (Alternate Day Fasting) is what made it possible for me to get back to low-carb primal eating after slips. It has really changed my behaviors concerning food. You might like to look into it, and see if it appeals to you.

There's lots of info on the JUDDD thread, but I'll just let you know not to be scared off by the term 'fasting'. You can still eat on 'fasting' days if you want/need to.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I haven't replaced it as a social event. We eat out a out, and in fact we just got back from a weekend in Vegas. I never went off plan, and I never do. There are so many options for eating out that it's never a problem or an issue. For instance, we went to Tony Roma's in Vegas on Sunday night for dinner. No problem, I ordered the steak and lobster and got broccoli on the side instead of a baked potato. Was it an awesome steak? No, but it worked. I was able to stay completely on plan and still enjoy socializing. I haven't quit going out, I haven't quit traveling, and I haven't quit doing the things I like to do. There are so many options. You can get a burger without a bun just about anywhere, and I find it easy to eat it while I'm driving.

Really, it just boils down to whether or not you want to do it. You'll make it work for you or you'll find excuses not to. It might be that it's just not the plan for you and you should find something that better suits your lifestyle.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I also eat out a lot. I vacation a lot. I've even done a cruise and kept to plan. It's all in the choices you make. Just because there is potato salad on the buffet doesn't mean I have to eat it.

There will always be vacations, holidays, unexpected guests, nights you have to stay late at work, potlucks, car breakdowns, bad days, sleepless nights, bakeries on the way home, etc., etc., etc. There is an endless supply of "reasons." At some point you just make peace with the fact that the reasons to stay on plan are better than the reasons to go off, and that's what you do.

rob71, I know you're frustrated. But please go back and read your posts in this thread. They are filled with "yeah, buts." Is there an answer anyone can give you that will resolve that for you? I don't think so. I think you have it within you, but you have to tap into it.

Good luck to you, whatever you chose to do.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Can you lose weight on more than 20 carbs per day? Maybe you shouldn't keep to induction levels, because it seems that you are finding it impossible to do. 30 or 40 carbs is better than the SAD. If you are out and about just do the best you can. Get a sauce that sounds low carb and don't worry if there are some undesirable ingredients in it (there probably are). I'm not saying get a sugary BBQ sauce or something that is obviously very carby, but go ahead and order the alfredo sauce or ranch or blue cheese. I feel like you are putting too much pressure on yourself.

As far as going out to eat, I do it all the time. I go out to eat at least 4 times a week and have never had an ounce of trouble. Cruises are easy. Buffet! Get the meats, salads, certain sauces, vegetables. Decadent!

Relax the rules for a month and see what happens. Don't eat any obvious carbs. No bread, flour, sugar, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. You're letting your quest to be perfect completely derail you.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Rob, my heart goes out to you. I can see how much you are struggling right now and I can feel your frustration. I, as someone who's had to live a gluten-free and mostly high carb free life for many years, can assure you that you really won't have to give up the activities and the social life you enjoy. A number of people above have had the same experiences as I have had. I've been to Italian restaurants and had delicious meals...I do ask the wait person to check with the chef regarding ingredients and have found that at the Italian restaurant the chef was willing to saute a chicken breast in butter & wonderful seasonings for me and plated that with delicious veggies. My husband and I go to the coast every year and greatly enjoy going to restaurants for all of our meals while we are there...we eat a lot of yummy fish but also steaks etc. I think right now you are too focused on the perceived difficulties. My suggestion is that you very deliberately choose to shift your focus away from the imagined problems and instead toward the very real benefits you'll gain from the LC WOE. Move from the negative toward the positive. It really is all in your mind. You can change your thoughts and, by doing so, change your life.
Here's something from William James that I find powerful and true: "The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes."
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

How do you know what's in a sauce? THey don't list the ingredients on the menu. Or just say serve the steak/ chicken grilled plain when out?

Today I had nothing for breakfast ( no time). Had a cheese stick at 10:30. 2 cups of the low carb jambalaya soup for lunch. Won't get home until after 7 and nothing planned for dinner. Means taking the kids somewhere to eat quick and me nothing. This is where I get in trouble. I did not plan again. Don't have a clue on what for dinner or have to go shopping after 9 tonight then come home and cook. Probably no dinner tonight.

There is no plan that will work if I don't stay with it. Low carb would be the easiest I guess. Just have to learn that I can't have those old things I love any more and force myself to eat what is allowed.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlyann11
Okay - I'm a huge hypocrite because I have a struggle going on that's making me stay off plan but I'm going to give some advice anyways. (actually - I could go back on plan, but my struggle is kind of an excuse. That doesn't stop me from throwing in my two cents).

1. You like to grill outside. My ex grilled outside all winter long and we live in Michigan. Of course, he was kind of an odd duck - but if you like to grill outside, what's stopping you?

2. You don't want to order sauces in a restaurant because it might have a teensy bit of sugar, but you'll make a recipe with panko crumbs and flour and eat hamburger buns. Do you see the contradiction there?

3. And as far as hamburger buns go - why do you need to eat them if you don't have a plate and fork? Other people have suggested using the wrapper as a holder - I use the bun as a wrapper. Slide the burger partially out of the bun and eat. As you munch along, move the burger out a little bit at a time. It's actually pretty easy and less messy than you would think. Hot dogs are real easy to eat that way. Of course you can't get five pounds of chili, saurkraut and mustard on them - but it works well with a light to normal condiment load. Maybe if you had a plastic sandwich bag just to hold your greasy stuff, it would be easier to eat things like that. Keep a box of baggies in your console.

4. Don't keep yourself on the self-imposed twenty grams of carb. That's not Atkins. That's just self torture. Your jambalaya sounds like an excellent meal and not too many carbs for OWL

5. You don't really need to exercise. I do it because I like it. I understand not having time though. It is very good for you, but its not really a requirement.

6. If you are very overweight, it might take more than 30 pounds to help your sleep apnea. Of course your apnea might not be related to your weight - my very thin stepdad had it - but you'ii never really know if you don't try. ( edit- dummy me - I just now noticed your stats. You're not very overweight, but losing more might still help your sleep apnea)

Last edited by kimberlyann11; 11-20-2013 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: removed the part that sounded mean but wasn't meant to be
kimberlyann11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Lolagetz. Thanks. I agree. Way too focused on the negative. I have always been in that minded as far as I can remember. She doing the 3 months LC I wasn't of this mindset. I all started coming back after going off LC. I was even drinking alcohol socially ( no beer) and I was losing weight. However we did not eat outta restaurants during that time as I was bbqing home for friends allot instead. Could carbs equal depressed/negative thoughts?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlyann11
Quote:
How do you know what's in a sauce? THey don't list the ingredients on the menu. Or just say serve the steak/ chicken grilled plain when out?

Today I had nothing for breakfast ( no time). Had a cheese stick at 10:30. 2 cups of the low carb jambalaya soup for lunch. Won't get home until after 7 and nothing planned for dinner. Means taking the kids somewhere to eat quick and me nothing. This is where I get in trouble. I did not plan again. Don't have a clue on what for dinner or have to go shopping after 9 tonight then come home and cook. Probably no dinner tonight.

There is no plan that will work if I don't stay with it. Low carb would be the easiest I guess. Just have to learn that I can't have those old things I love any more and force myself to eat what is allowed.
You posted while I was typing. I always had them serve the meat with the sauce and only ate a little of it. I figured a little bit of sugar wouldn't kill me if I was clean the rest of the day. You could ask what's in the sauce and the waiter will find out for you. A lot of people watch their carbs, they might be used to it by now.

Get dinner for yourself the same place you get dinner for your kids. You don't have to be hungry. That leads to resentment.

- you like beer - there are some brands that aren't horrible. Of course they probably aren't your favorites, but they might work. I always found that alcohol hit me harder when I was lowcarbing. The cheap date syndrome.

Last edited by kimberlyann11; 11-20-2013 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: added beer info
kimberlyann11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Lolagetz. Thanks. I agree. Way too focused on the negative. I have always been in that minded as far as I can remember. She doing the 3 months LC I wasn't of this mindset. I all started coming back after going off LC. I was even drinking alcohol socially ( no beer) and I was losing weight. However we did not eat outta restaurants during that time as I was bbqing home for friends allot instead. Could carbs equal depressed/negative thoughts?
I do understand how easily we all can slide into negativity and depression. I've certainly been there myself and as you say it may be more of an issue for some than others. I do think that depression is a physiological condition [although negativity can also be a habit of thought] and that anything physiological can be connected with the mind, with stress, with mood.
Therefore, since carbs affect our body it stands to reason they can affect our mind and our thought patterns. I had developed a habit of eating too many high carb veggies, fruits, nuts and legumes and although I didn't become depressed I certainly became sluggish and experienced lowered levels of energy. And it is a fact that sluggishness and lack of energy can be a part of depression. So I think you may be on to something.

I just offer this one additional quote [as you can tell I write these things down for inspiration when I need it]: "The mind is everything. What you think you become."

And I think you will be successful Rob. On every journey we encounter bumps in the road and periods when we make slow progress but if we keep our focus on our destination we will eventually reach it. I have faith in you. I know you can, and *will* do it. Don't agonize over slip-ups. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 11-20-2013 at 02:15 PM..
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote