Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
This is the stuffing recipe. I'm going to try a small batch tomorrow, but I'll post the full recipe here. Not sure yet if I'll have to tweak it.

1 pound pork sausage
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
16 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered (if they're big, cut each quarter again)
4 oz shredded monterey jack cheese
Poultry seasoning and sage to taste

In large skillet, brown sausage, onion and celery. Cook until celery is tender; drain grease. Add mushrooms, poultry seasoning and sage and cook until mushrooms are tender. Pour into casserole dish and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until browned on top.

Makes 4-6 servings so carbs are either 8g or 5g per serving.

I think I got this off Linda's site and she added a note that you could probably leave off the cheese if you left the mushrooms and sausage a bit chunkier.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
after getting off introduction there are all kinds of idea's that you can do..

stuff bell pepper is my favorite
chili no beans
taco salad no shell or chips...
stir fry with any kind of meat
apparagus wrap in bacon
omelets
the list goes on
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/160.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
This is the stuffing recipe. I'm going to try a small batch tomorrow, but I'll post the full recipe here. Not sure yet if I'll have to tweak it.

1 pound pork sausage

In large skillet, brown sausage, onion and celery. Cook until celery is tender; drain grease. Add mushrooms, poultry seasoning and sage and cook until mushrooms are tender. Pour into casserole dish and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until browned on top.

I think I got this off Linda's site and she added a note that you could probably leave off the cheese if you left the mushrooms and sausage a bit chunkier.
Thank you!!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rob71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycattaz View Post
after getting off introduction there are all kinds of idea's that you can do..

stuff bell pepper is my favorite
chili no beans
taco salad no shell or chips...
stir fry with any kind of meat
apparagus wrap in bacon
omelets
the list goes on

My problem is I will probably have to stay on induction for another 4 months to get the 30-40 lbs off. maybe longer as loss slows.

Are the stuffed bell peppers that high in carbs? I have made them on my smoker and they were good.
rob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
This is something you can choose to work on. You say exercise doesn't work. Okay, try something else. It seems like you expect a lot from food and it continues to disappoint you.
Yes - That is what life has become.

Any ideas for stress relief besides eating or drinking alcohol (when I get home after the running around)? I agree that I need to find a substitution for food as comfort and make it about energy only instead of happiness.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #66
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

1 pound pork sausage

Will try this one day - sounds good.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

I'm 'sperimenting today with another recipe that starts out with a 'bread' made with almond flour. Then this is cubed, dried and then I'll kind of continue with my usual stuffing method. The bread (am rather pleased with it!) is drying in the oven right now and I'm making the stuffing tonight.

If it works, the carb count should be around 12gm for 1/12 of the recipe (will calculate it out by serving size after I know how much I have. This isn't really low enough for me to do all the time, but for a special holiday occasion...perfect!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/145.6/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:

1 pound pork sausage

YUM!!! thanks for posting the recipe!
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
Yes - That is what life has become.

Any ideas for stress relief besides eating or drinking alcohol (when I get home after the running around)? I agree that I need to find a substitution for food as comfort and make it about energy only instead of happiness.
I work in a very stressful field....the very best stress reducer has been exercise...a great walk ..outside is the best for me....getting outside my head..outside of my stress zone totally readjusts my world to much more peaceful....and relaxed.....I love it!! The world becomes much bigger than my little place in it....I try to notice the nature around me the sights..smells and feel of the outside world..and yeah I use that time to pray...as the walk progresses I feel the stress leave my body...and I usually feel free and happy
I also use the gym .....if need be...

Laughter is another stress reducer for me..spending time with fun...funny..positive people is the BEST!
goal made 04.04.14
Old 11-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
Hey Rob. I feel you.

I'm a serious food addict (alcohol, too.) This go around, I have two weeks in. Why? Well, I took a more moderate approach. I let myself have a few things that aren't on induction, and I have to say it helped.

I'd eat induction levels all day, then after dinner I had a packet of sliced apples with natural peanut butter. Another day it was 1/2 banana with natural peanut butter. One night I had acorn squash with chicken. One night I had a sliver of cheesecake (I was at a party.) Every other part of my diet was 100% lowcarb. (meat, veg, fat.) No booze at all. I had really overdone the booze, so I decided no alcohol to clear my liver.

Two weeks in I am nine pounds down, and starting to workout. Every time I want to pig out on american cheese, or eat a bunch of pistachios, or too much of something, I go for a bike ride!! Funny: it works.

My point: Go slow if you need to. I kept restarting, restarting, restarting, at REALLY low carb levels, and then I kept trying to add in booze, and honestly it was just freaking my body out. I needed a more moderate approach to BEGIN.

Once you start burning fat, it gets easier to cut foods/calories! Because then, you aren't as hungry. So my ideas: no booze. Not for a SUPER long time, maybe forever? If its an issue, anyway. Then go a little slower than induction: a few more carbs. I gotta tell you, when you first stop drinking if you are drinking a lot? Going very, very low on carbs is too much for your body. It feels better to be "lowish" in carbs, until you get all the alcohol and toxic processed junk out of your system.

Just an idea!

Last edited by moonmirror; 11-14-2013 at 12:11 PM..
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/160.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
MoonMirror, you bring up a great point! Rob, have you looked into the Carbohydrate Addicts diet? That might actually fit into what you're looking for. I haven't had any experience with it, but I have read the book, and I think there may even be a forum on here for it.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/130 -- body fat % 42.2/32.2/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
Actually 20 carbs max per day is induction

i need to loose 30-40 more lbs so I should stay on induction

Even Phase 2 says 20-45 carbs max a day.

This is me exactly - From the Atkins site "If your doctor has diagnosed you with metabolic syndrome or your waist measures more than 40 inches (if you’re a guy) or is it larger than your hips (if you’re a gal), and you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and low HDL (“good”) cholesterol, chances are that you have this condition, also known as prediabetes. Have your doctor check your blood sugar, blood pressure and insulin levels. Start in Induction, and remain there until you get your blood sugar and insulin levels under control."

My blood sugar is normal for some reason.
Right. So if your blood sugar levels are in the normal range, you might be able to go above induction levels. Just enough so that you are more comfortable with this WOE, but still losing weight.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
MoonMirror, you bring up a great point! Rob, have you looked into the Carbohydrate Addicts diet? That might actually fit into what you're looking for. I haven't had any experience with it, but I have read the book, and I think there may even be a forum on here for it.
Thanks MtherGoos:

Yes it is kind of like CAD, but with an important caveat: no grains at all. I firmly believe the grains are as bad as the booze. Toxic foods, you know?

I try to keep it very, very Paleo oriented. I do the best I can avoiding Dairy, its my downfall in Paleo. Dairy stalls me and I know it, but I love it: right now I'm trying to just have "a little dairy," and if I stall again I will cut it out. I seem to be able to have "some" peanut butter and not overdo like I do with certain whole nuts, even though PB is not paleo. But which higher carb nutritious options a person can handle does seem to be an individual thing, and Mark Sisson acknowledges this.

If you look at the foods I've chosen as higher carb options, see that there is no bread! That is on purpose.

Last edited by moonmirror; 11-14-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/130 -- body fat % 42.2/32.2/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
On a personal note, I have never found this WOE bland. We get to use all the things that give flavor to food! Cream, oil, butter, bacon! And so much more. What I found bland was eating low fat. Skinless, boneless plain chicken with a side salad with vinegar only and a dry piece of toast. Yeah, I couldn't subsist on that.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

I just dont know how to cook I guess thats why I find it bland. I just try to throw spices on foods and cook and they do not come out right so I go back to basic meats with no flavor. I am actually am getting tired of bacon, peppers, chicken, salads and eggs. I keep eating them but just too much. The occasional steak or pork here and there.

here is a sample of what I eat daily - gets very boring

Todays meals that I think are induction allowed

- Omelette - 2 eggs, 1/4 cup egg beaters, sprinkle of cheddar cheese, 2 tbs diced ham (all I had left)
- 2 x Coffee with 1/2 and 1/2 and equal
- Snack 1 Sargento Double cheddar cheese stick
- Mixed green salad with grilled chicken, asparagus, few tomatos, balsamic vinegarette
- Sargento pepper jack cheese stick
- Dinner scheduled for meatloaf (breadcrumb less)

Yesterday

- Omelette - 2 eggs, 1/4 cup egg beaters, sprinkle of cheddar cheese, 3 slices of bacon
- Snack 1 Sargento Double cheddar cheese stick
- caesar salad with grilled chicken, cheese and caesar dressing (dont know what kind)
- Sargento pepper jack cheese stick
- Found a frozen hamburger in the freezer pan fried it with a piece of provolone cheese, 5 frozen shrimp thrown into a pan with butter, garlic,( note defrost the shrimp hours before cooking - bleh)
- small dill pickle snack

2 days ago
- Omelette - 2 eggs, 1/4 cup egg beaters, sprinkle of cheddar cheese, 3 slices of bacon
- Snack 1 Sargento pepper jack cheese stick
- tuna fish salad in a bowl
- Sargento double cheddar cheese stick
- Chicken wings in a jalapeno/mango sauce (This was not low in carbs I do not think)

I guess I will figure it out someday - just need to figure out how to make it all work. Way too many things going on, health, family, work, house, and cant find a happy place lately. I just want to feel good and relaxed - I can not tell you the last time I have felt good and relaxed.
1/15/14 - Trying to get back on LC - Weigh 225
Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

I want to exercise but I hate it. By the time I get home its dark out and cold now that winter is here. I am also scared to exercise. Chest pains when I get my heart rate up - and yes I have been to the DR's and they say nothing. I do not like the feeling so I stop or dont exercise. I know I need to but dont.

Trying to find time is another issue. If I get home with no running around its about 7:30 after sitting in the car for the 1.5 hour commute. Then eat and see the kids then I am exhausted.

Excuses probably but I live this way.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cherrytt_too
Stats: 299.5/258/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2, 2006
What I remind myself every day now, is that I can have excuses or results, but not both.

I love food. I love ALL kinds of food, especially breads, pastas, candy, popcorn, etc. I do NOT love being fat and unhealthy. I weighed my options (pun intended) and decided that my hatred of being fat and unhealthy was greater than my love of those junky foods. I do not resent this choice. You have to decide which way you want to go, and then go for it. I feel good about my decision.

Conversely, I also gave up alcohol several years ago. I did it grudgingly, and I resent that decision every single day. Most days it consumes me, and I know it's not a healthy state of mind. I completely empathize going thru this with your way of eating too. The difference is you HAVE to eat to survive. If you're having such a tough time giving up your favorite (insert food/beer/wine here), maybe look at counseling or a support group to find out 'why' these things are so important to you, that you can't give them up even though you want to be healthier/slimmer. Addiction is tough. Especially if you don't recognize that you're suffering from it.

I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is 14 days.
-Totie Fields (1930 - 1978)
cherrytt_too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Rob: try to keep it simple. Stick to the diet. Get enough sleep. Stop drinking alcohol.

That's it. In the meantime; try to find new coping skills. Its rough. Trust me. The day before I started this thing 2 weeks ago, I drank 1/2 case of hard ciders in a day; 30 carbs per bottle, then ate a huge amount of chinese food for dinner. I've got three kids and a part time job, lots of stress, 70 extra pounds, and little time for myself. I get it.

That's WHY I am doing this. I want to feel better. With all the work I do, I deserve it. I Deserve It!!!!

And so do you. You deserve to feel good. Make the time to find some things you truly love to do that AREN'T eating or drinking, and make yourself do them.

Over time, they become habits.

Hugs.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #79
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Universal meat seasoning / blandness cure.

4 units Garlic powder
4 units chili powder
2 units white pepper
2 units cayenne powder
2 units chipotle powder
0.5 units cumin

Add salt seperately, so the seasoning mix wont throw off the sodium balance on brining solutions for roasts.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Rob,
Why egg beaters? I'd dump it and just throw another egg in.

Re: shrimp. Toss the shrimp in a bowl of tap water. They'll thaw in like 5 minutes or so.

I used to buy shrimp from Sam's club because I loved sauteeing some garlic in butter and then tossing in the shrimp. Couple minutes and voila...dinner. Now I just buy the shrimp scampi already made from Sam's because it's faster *and* the complete meal is cheaper than the per pound price of shrimp.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Do you have a crockpot, Rob? If not you might find one the easy way to some good tasting meals. Just throw in some meat and some vegetables and let cook over night or all day. I find a little seasoning goes a long way in a crockpot. A bit of salt, dose of pepper, a bit of garlic (you can get the kind in little jars for a short cut time-wise, maybe a pinch of cayenne for some punch, etc.) I
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
Rob, it is hard. You sound like my hubby - you want to be healthy, know LC works, but are miserable with it for a whole bunch of physical and psychological reasons. I have no advice except just do it. It is hard but new habits CAN form if one is willing to try. The first month was a bit miserable for me but I take it one day at a time and now look at food as fuel, not fun. I eat to live, not live to eat.

Last edited by luvmybabyhead; 11-15-2013 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
This is what I would do
1. Kick the 5 meals to the curb .Start the day with a mega breakfast with at least 50 g of protein and liberal fat. Eat again at lunch time with carb added or add carbs with dinner . I think you might like an egg frittata which is basically an open faced omelette with added bacon small amount of pepers and or chili for flavour. If bacon and eggs sound good to you on their own so much the better. Oh yeah make salami and pepperoni your friend .It is a strong taste that helps when things appear to be bland,

2. For two weeks only kick the social dinners to the curb. Once you are on track they will be a lot easier instead of interrupting your new routine every time. Don't be restrictive in amounts of food,except for teh carbs side. Do not be afraid of fat.

3. I am reading between the lines that money is not such a big issue so take a Sunday out with 10 lbs of beef and make meatballs. Your recipe is excellent.You could substitute the flour with parmesan cheese or grated cheddar. This will become your go to meal if you get home late. Your lemon and basil chicken is saveable too but marinate it over night and give it a bit of zing with chile .substitute fresh coriander and why not add a shot of tequila when cookng it.You can cook off the alcohol

4. Cold day staple. Cabbage bacon and cream soup

5. Don't exercise if you don't like it .It will reinforce the "I am so deprived of everything mood" A lot of experts are now coming round to the idea that exercise is not the be all and end all . Especially with low carb you will not have the energy in the initial stages of your weight loss. I never exercised and while my losses were slow I lost 50lbs ,a figure I had not actually realised until writing now

6. Food IS entertainment. . Our festivities are based around it as it used to be in limited supply. The traditions remain,eating together is good for your wellbeing but you can tweak the menu. TG for example Turkey ,green beans in butter sauce,cauliflower cheese ( a british recipe) . Dessert a ricotta cheesecake which you can bring from the star baker that just got into town (you!) and that really does not need baking at all . Google lo carb TG cheesecake and you will find. Do not eat on everyone else´s plate . They have something yummy and so do you. Do not tell them it is low carb but tell them that it is your new "thing" where you cannot put the spoon down . Make a large cake,they will want to try. There is a lot of evidence on this board for this. If you tell people it is locarb they immediately go into a defensive mode as you obviously want to nix THEIR dessert. When you advertise it as the best thing since sliced bread( very debatable the bread part ) they will come.

7. If food is so important to you ,make it your passtime to learn about it . It can actually become your friend again. Not every day ,anyone has ruts but in general once you are liberated from traditional recipes the world is really your oyster.

8. If you need a balance for the loss of carbfood I found that I can eat music but then I am a girl and such notions are more acceptable for us .However in the privacy of your own home there is nothing like getting a bit eccentric and nurturing an alter ego.

Have fun is the best advice I can give you . With food without food ,lots of laughter. As far as American comedians is concerned George Carlin is probably my favourite and when looking at the trials and tribulations of this WOE it is kind of comforting to know that the rest of the world that thinks itself perfect ain't in that hot a shape either .
Good luck !

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]

Last edited by Aleina; 11-15-2013 at 05:45 AM..
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #84
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleina View Post
This is what I would do
1. Kick the 5 meals to the curb .Start the day with a mega breakfast with at least 50 g of protein and liberal fat. Eat again at lunch time with carb added or add carbs with dinner . I think you might like an egg frittata which is basically an open faced omelette with added bacon small amount of pepers and or chili for flavour. If bacon and eggs sound good to you on their own so much the better. Oh yeah make salami and pepperoni your friend .It is a strong taste that helps when things appear to be bland,

2. For two weeks only kick the social dinners to the curb. Once you are on track they will be a lot easier instead of interrupting your new routine every time. Don't be restrictive in amounts of food,except for teh carbs side. Do not be afraid of fat.

3. I am reading between the lines that money is not such a big issue so take a Sunday out with 10 lbs of beef and make meatballs. Your recipe is excellent.You could substitute the flour with parmesan cheese or grated cheddar. This will become your go to meal if you get home late. Your lemon and basil chicken is saveable too but marinate it over night and give it a bit of zing with chile .substitute fresh coriander and why not add a shot of tequila when cookng it.You can cook off the alcohol

4. Cold day staple. Cabbage bacon and cream soup

5. Don't exercise if you don't like it .It will reinforce the "I am so deprived of everything mood" A lot of experts are now coming round to the idea that exercise is not the be all and end all . Especially with low carb you will not have the energy in the initial stages of your weight loss. I never exercised and while my losses were slow I lost 50lbs ,a figure I had not actually realised until writing now

6. Food IS entertainment. . Our festivities are based around it as it used to be in limited supply. The traditions remain,eating together is good for your wellbeing but you can tweak the menu. TG for example Turkey ,green beans in butter sauce,cauliflower cheese ( a british recipe) . Dessert a ricotta cheesecake which you can bring from the star baker that just got into town (you!) and that really does not need baking at all . Google lo carb TG cheesecake and you will find. Do not eat on everyone else´s plate . They have something yummy and so do you. Do not tell them it is low carb but tell them that it is your new "thing" where you cannot put the spoon down . Make a large cake,they will want to try. There is a lot of evidence on this board for this. If you tell people it is locarb they immediately go into a defensive mode as you obviously want to nix THEIR dessert. When you advertise it as the best thing since sliced bread( very debatable the bread part ) they will come.

7. If food is so important to you ,make it your passtime to learn about it . It can actually become your friend again. Not every day ,anyone has ruts but in general once you are liberated from traditional recipes the world is really your oyster.

8. If you need a balance for the loss of carbfood I found that I can eat music but then I am a girl and such notions are more acceptable for us .However in the privacy of your own home there is nothing like getting a bit eccentric and nurturing an alter ego.

Have fun is the best advice I can give you . With food without food ,lots of laughter. As far as American comedians is concerned George Carlin is probably my favourite and when looking at the trials and tribulations of this WOE it is kind of comforting to know that the rest of the world that thinks itself perfect ain't in that hot a shape either .
Good luck !
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
Quote:

Your whole post was excellent, Aleina, but especially THIS.

I love to eat. I love food and I love preparing food and I love figuring out new ways to make tasty food. I am not of the camp that to lose weight you have to lose your enjoyment of food. Low carb makes it possible to lose while enjoying delicious, real food! Butter sauces, chili without beans, pot roast, roasted chicken with the skin, cream soups. I made meatballs in alfredo sauce the other night and it was DIVINE and completely legal. I continue to lose belly fat (I haven't been near a scale in a while), I continue to feel great, and I continue to enjoy my meals. Food does not control me; I control my food in such a way that it continues to bring me joy.

It is possible. It does take work and an understanding of how the low carb diets work. So to the OP I will repeat my advice to find a book, read it and understand it. Understanding the diet makes it a lot easier to adhere to.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all very much for the support. I will keep trying these methods suggested to get through this.

We have made the LC cheesecake and the cauliflower rice and cauliflower mashed potatos. They were all good - I am not a sweets person so I can live without desert.

I made a meat only chilli (no beans) with a variety of peppers/spices. and served it over the top of the cauliflower rice and no one knew it was not real rice.

The TG plan is to have the smoked turkey, cauliflower mashed and some other green - maybe brussels sprouts with bacon for me and the rest can eat what ever they want.

The rest of the family is making green bean casserole (Of all the vegetables I cant stand green beans), they are also making sweet potato pie, corn, and who knows what else.

As for alcohol as I love beer I have not really had any. I have switched to 0 carb drinks when I do drink. Vodka and crystal light iced tea or a glass of good scotch on ice. I miss the wine with dinner but I can go longer without it but want to have some here and there as I make it and its good.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

I also think one of the main cooking issues I dont understand the spices and sauces. Over the past 5 months I read the cans on everything we buy. If its got carbs I dont buy it (the other half - that is another story).

Sauces for example - How do I make a good gravy for turkey without flour and or turkey drippings. All the jarred sauces are loaded with carbs.

Sauces for beef - just soy sauce and worchestshire and sump it over the top?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, here's the stuffing I made yesterday that has more the texture of stuffing. It actually was a bit moister after sitting on the stove, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Probably condensation.

I'm thinking I might add maybe half a cup of cooked sage sausage to this or possibly even cook some mushrooms with the celery and onions. However, I thought it was pretty good as is and even my husband (who does not low carb) liked it. Ok...I actually had to beat him off the bread because he thought that was pretty yummy by itself.

Nutritional info:
Per gram: 4.87 calories, .47 fats, .1 carbs, .11 protein
There are roughly 132gm in 1 cup of stuffing so it works out to 642 calories, 62 fats, 13.2 carbs and 14.5 protein.

Bread for Stuffing
2 1/2 cups almond flour
3 lg eggs
1 Tbs baking powder
1 Tbs poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup water

Heat oven to 350 F. Spray large loaf pan with cooking spray. Melt butter and let it cool while getting the rest of the ingredients together. Whisk dry ingredient together. In separate bowl, whisk water and eggs together. Add to dry ingredients. Pour into loaf pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until top is lightly browned (if you insert a toothpick into the loaf and it comes out clean, you can remove it from the oven.) When cool, slice into about 3/4-1" slices (personal preference). Then cut each slice half, widthwise and then 4 slices the other direction. This will give you the perfect sized cube. Spread out on cookie tray and put in a warm oven (about 150 deg F) for about an hour or so. Turn off oven and let set overnight. How dry you want the cubes is personal preference.

Stuffing
6 Tbs butter
4 oz onion, chopped
2.4 oz celery and leaves, chopped
1 1/2 Tbs poultry seasoning
3/4 tsp sage
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth

Melt butter in pan. Saute onion and celery until soft. Pour over bread cubes. Sprinkle seasonings over onion mixture. Stir/toss together. Add 6 Tbs broth and toss/stir. Continue to add broth by Tbs until right consistency. Spray 2 quart casserole with cooking spray and pour stuffing into the dish. Cover and bake 30-45 minutes at 350 deg F.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post

4 units Garlic powder
4 units chili powder
2 units white pepper
2 units cayenne powder
2 units chipotle powder
0.5 units cumin

Add salt seperately, so the seasoning mix wont throw off the sodium balance on brining solutions for roasts.

yum......thanks Z
Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post

4 units Garlic powder
4 units chili powder
2 units white pepper
2 units cayenne powder
2 units chipotle powder
0.5 units cumin

Just dump it on a piece of chicken or steak or ground beef?