Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rob71
I am heading to the store tonight to reload the house of LC food as I have given up on support in the house. My wife was doing great in helping me eat LC but she has given up and back to her old ways. I can not rely on her for my meals again.

Any ideas for LC or "no carb" dry foods (non refrigerated) as our refrigerator is full of junk the rest of the house eats. Freezer is pretty full to. Any soups/quick meals in a can?
rob71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
I am just venting as I am stuck and always hungry now. Probably from the carb meals.

On Holidays do you eat something different then everyone else?

We are cooking Thanksgiving. I can have the turkey and that's basically it. I cant have the gravy (flour), mashed potatos, stuffing, cranberry sauce, that we usually make for the rest of the family.
Rob,
I'm having mashed caulitaters. Yes they still have an underlying taste of cauliflower, but subtle and the texture is very similar to mashed taters. There's a recipe in the recipe section. I'm also doing a 'stuffing' I found somewhere. It's sausage, mushrooms, celery, onions and the usual stuffing seasonings and then you bind it together with some monterey jack cheese. I figure it's worth a shot. I'm also doing a low carb cheesecake (although I don't even eat the nut crust because it's still higher than I want in carbs). Just found out they're going to do some appeteasers before dinner so I think I'm going to do a buffalo chicken dip with pork rinds as dippers.

My carbs for the day will only be slightly higher than normal and more in the meal than I normally do but I'm ok with that. We'll see if my blood sugar is.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
Food has become something I enjoy and satisfies me when its good. When it tastes bad I just look for other outs.

I can say a good cooked meal is a stress reliever. I do not know how to relieve stress otherwise -
This is something you can choose to work on. You say exercise doesn't work. Okay, try something else. It seems like you expect a lot from food and it continues to disappoint you.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
I am heading to the store tonight to reload the house of LC food as I have given up on support in the house. My wife was doing great in helping me eat LC but she has given up and back to her old ways. I can not rely on her for my meals again.

Any ideas for LC or "no carb" dry foods (non refrigerated) as our refrigerator is full of junk the rest of the house eats. Freezer is pretty full to. Any soups/quick meals in a can?
Yeah, I'd avoid the prepackaged stuff. How about buying a rotisserie chicken, cutting it up and mixing it with mayo...or cans of tuna mixed with mayo. I always have that 'ready to go' in the fridge. Also deli ham (just careful to get the ones that are truly low carb) or turkey and cheese that can be quickly rolled up. If it weren't for my husband, I could live on cheeseburgers and eggs. Easy to cook and fast.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

We make the cauliflower mashed and rice at times and I like them. Load them up with butter and they are good. Do think the DR will be happy with the butter but they taste good. I'll look for that sausage/stuffing recipe.

We made the LC cheesecake once - its good - I am not a desert person so I dont need that.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

The rotisserie chicken idea is good but I am looking for stuff to have on hand ALL the time when the plan fails and it will fail. We can plan a roasted chicken and eat it and make chicken salad for leftovers and have done that. But if we are out and get home at 8:30 - 9:00 - I am not planning on firing up the oven for a few hour cook to eat at midnight. Does that make sense?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #37

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
But if we are out and get home at 8:30 - 9:00 - I am not planning on firing up the oven for a few hour cook to eat at midnight. Does that make sense?
She was talking about buying a rotisserie chicken. it's already cooked. You don't have to do anything.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
Hey Rob, my hubby is doing Atkins and likes his snacks. I buy big bags of pork rinds, string cheese, beef jerky, foil packs of tuna, individual packs of almonds, Jack Links sausage sticks with cheese buy these sometimes at a conv store and pick up some packs of real mayo to add to his lunch. I also make those ooppsie rolls in a mini woopie pie pan, they can stay out on the counter for a few days, the bigger ones are good for a quick tuna meal, just open the tuna pack and a pack of mayo stir and put on a couple of oopsies. We also have the little sugar free jello cups, non refridge kind with a laughing cow cream cheese wedge.
Good luck, hope these help.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Never had a pork rind - will have to experiment I guess. Tuna packets are a good idea - will look into those oopsie (buns).

Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Well if you get a rotisserie chicken you won't have to fire up the oven and cook for hours. It's already cooked, so just heat and eat. Easy. If you wanting to learn to cook, don't wing it, follow some easy recipes until you have a few good stand-bys then keep going. You have to have some experience on your hands before you can create your own. Good luck.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I think it is because of where you are in the journey. I have almost no interest in eating anything, unless it is a low carb meal. Ie. something that contains fat. Fat to me is not bland at all. If you add fat and spices, which are low carb, you get an instant flavour. The reason I was interested in high carb before was because I was addicted to sugar. If you go low carb long enough, and enter maintenance, eventually you lose interest in food completely. At least this is my experience. I have recently added a bit of fruit and some sweeteners back into my diet to reinstate hunger. I guess at one time, I wasn't eating for nutrition, more so as a response to carbs which is ultimately linked to brain stimulation. Although you would think on a low carb diet you would crave fat, but you don't. The cravings only seem to be part of the high carb diet.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Rob,
I'm having mashed caulitaters. Yes they still have an underlying taste of cauliflower, but subtle and the texture is very similar to mashed taters. There's a recipe in the recipe section. I'm also doing a 'stuffing' I found somewhere. It's sausage, mushrooms, celery, onions and the usual stuffing seasonings and then you bind it together with some monterey jack cheese. I figure it's worth a shot. I'm also doing a low carb cheesecake (although I don't even eat the nut crust because it's still higher than I want in carbs). Just found out they're going to do some appeteasers before dinner so I think I'm going to do a buffalo chicken dip with pork rinds as dippers.

My carbs for the day will only be slightly higher than normal and more in the meal than I normally do but I'm ok with that. We'll see if my blood sugar is.
Not to thread jack, but can you please share your recipe for that stuffing?

Rob, I totally understand your frustration, but what I don't understand is why you are forcing yourself to do this if you don't enjoy or it doesn't fit with your lifestyle. This isn't supposed to be a temporary way of eating, it's supposed to be a permanent change. Any "diet" that you go on will result in you gaining the weight back once you go back to your old eating habits. The most important thing is to find a way of eating that you can stick to.... permanently.

Honestly, I think eating out on this way of eating is easier than with any other way of eating that I've ever tried. It's so easy to get a steak or bacon and eggs, or a bunless burger with a salad. But if that is all stuff that you don't like, then maybe this just isn't the plan for you. I'm definitely not discouraging, I want you to be successful, I'm just saying that if you don't like the food, and it's such a constant struggle because it doesn't fit your lifestyle, then maybe it's not the plan for you.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #43

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Never had a pork rind - will have to experiment I guess. Tuna packets are a good idea - will look into those oopsie (buns).

Thanks
You will either Love it or Hate it! I suggest Baken-ets for eating and any other brand for pulverizing for breading. There is another good eating brand but I always forget the name until I see them in person. The Good Eating Ones , good straight from the bag, cost more than the just okay ones. I buy cheap dollar store pork rinds to make breading with.
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Its not in my lifestyle but nothing else worked for me as far as weight loss so far. I am trying to make it mine but there are allot of things that are not LC that I love. Occasional beers (I miss them) - Occasional pasta dishes, etc. We do socialize with friends by dining out or out to a pub for drinks (been drinking Vodka and scotch only since starting LC). I make wine and have a whole stash in my house that I will not drink due to the carbs. I know its a choice - be fat and keep eating whatever or go LC and dont indulge in the things we like to do anymore.

I don't eat allot of fat either. I have been trying to lower my cholesterol/triglycerides along this path. So I have been low carb and low fat where possible. LC is easy in the summer time with grilling but now winter is here and its dark early I dont have allot of time for grilling/smoking meals.

That being said I have had more bacon in the past 5 months then in the past 10 years. I have eaten more ground beef (80/20) then ground turkey meat. More eggs than eggbeaters/whites only. And butter which I hardly ate. I am wondering if my cholesterol numbers have gone up due to the increased fat intake - wont know until the end of December (next possible DR appt). I am allergic to Statins - cholesterol meds.

I dont find eating out easier in restaurants - I could order plain chicken or a plain piece of fish - but I can make that at home for 1/4 the price. That looses the experience of eating out - to enjoy something that we can't cook at home. The only way I know there is no or low carb is if I make it. Example - Ordering meatballs with sauce at a restaurant is probably over my limit for the day in carbs. I have no clue how they make their meatballs or sauce. Do I just get salads with no dressing? How do I know how many carbs are in the dressing - ask to see the bottle from the cook?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Usually if you stick to a full fat blue cheese dressing, or even ranch, you'll be ok. There may be a small amount of sugar in it, but it's better than a low fat dressing. I always get my dressing on the side and dip the fork in it rather than pouring it over the whole salad.

The high fat isn't what will cause your cholesterol to go up. You may have a temporary rise, as you lose the fat cells in your body that also contain cholesterol, but overall, a low carb way of eating is actually better for your cholesterol. You don't want to avoid the fat, it can help you feel full and satiated.

You're totally right, it comes down to a choice. You keep doing what you're doing and keep the weight on, or you make choices and take control of your health and your life and give up the stuff that is keeping you overweight and unhealthy. I mean that for all of us, not you in particular. For me, the experience of eating out is more about the people I'm with and the time away from home to relax and enjoy than any particular food. I'd rather pay a little more to get food that I know is as clean as possible, like a steak, and just get veggies or a salad with it, then to order food that is unhealthy for me body and will cause a gain on the scale. But everybody is different.

Bottom line, you have to find what works for YOU. It may or may not be this way of eating. But if this is the way you choose, you just have to realize that it's forever, and focus on all the things you CAN eat instead of focusing on the things you can't.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Reading this thread has reinforced my belief that doing low-carb is really hard. DH and I are trying to do LC but it's tough. DH is limiting himself to 150 carbs per day but he hasn't noticed any weight loss and it's been 2 months. He will break his diet about once a week or once every 2 weeks and exceed 250 carbs.

1. DH refuses to eat burgers or hot dogs w/o the buns. And he gets gas from high-fiber food. So he just eats normal buns and adds that to his daily carb count.

2. DH likes variety and needs a lot more of it than I do. He wants something new every day and doesn't want to eat the same thing more than once per week. So in order to keep him satisfied, I'd have to make a different meal every single day, 7 days a week, to his liking. Either that or prepare meals ahead, but so far we haven't found enough recipes that are low-carb that we both like. I do prepare a lot of things ahead but it's not enough to keep him happy. I'll have LC mini meat loaves, LC shephard's pie, LC chili and one more thing and he got tired of that really fast, wanted something new. It's too hard to keep up with this, so we do break with our diets and eat out.

3. I keep accidentally carbing myself and it's frustrating as hell. I have a smoothie and I'm carbed (91 carbs). I eat a little too much chocolate and I'm carbed (3 oz). I eat a stack at moes and I'm carbed (120 carbs). I can't win.

4. We tried cauliflower mashed potatoes and we find it to be the most repulsive, disgusting, horribly-smelling, stinky thing there ever was. It smells up the whole house with horrible stench and the roommate left the house last time we did it. No more.

5. We tried 100% mashed turnip but it was terrible. Even with butter and seasonings. Yuck.

6. We tried 50/50 mashed turnip to potato and that is edible. But it's cutting out less than half the carbs of mashed potatoes.

7. Eating pork rinds in place of chips just isn't nearly as satisfying or tasty. But we buy pork rinds anyway.

Eating for DH and I has become a pain and an annoyance now.

Last edited by Seeking; 11-13-2013 at 01:23 PM..
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seeking, it may be that 150 carbs per day is too much for him to lose on. Maybe he could try 100 carbs per day and see how that works? And if he's having that many carbs, he may need to watch his calories too. There are a ton of recipes on this site and on Linda Sue's site. If you Google her, you'll find her recipe site. There really are a ton of options. Even 100 carbs is a lot, but he might find more success with that.

This really isn't a hard way to eat, it's just a matter of being willing to make the changes that are required to take control of your health. It CAN be done, and we can help you, but you have to be willing to make the changes.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I dont find eating out easier in restaurants - I could order plain chicken or a plain piece of fish - but I can make that at home for 1/4 the price. That looses the experience of eating out - to enjoy something that we can't cook at home. The only way I know there is no or low carb is if I make it. Example - Ordering meatballs with sauce at a restaurant is probably over my limit for the day in carbs. I have no clue how they make their meatballs or sauce. Do I just get salads with no dressing? How do I know how many carbs are in the dressing - ask to see the bottle from the cook?
I think you are making things too difficult and restrictive and this is discouraging you. You may be able to lose just fine on a looser plan that is still low carb. For instance, why does every meal have to be 5 carbs or less? That's less than even induction levels. Here's what I do: no wheat, sugar, potatoes, corn, peas, beans, or legumes (except for peanuts). Everything else, I eat. If I order salad I get a sauce with it that seems like it would be low carb (ranch, blue cheese, even vineagrette). Yes, it might have some sugar in it, but that's never stalled me. I drink wine. Until this stops working, I'm content and at a weight I enjoy. Some people need to be more restrictive, but you might not. Instead of throwing in the towel or thinking that this is going to be terrible, why not try a different approach and see?
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Sending good thoughts your way, Rob. It sounds like you have been quite successful on LC so far...losing 30 lbs seems like a monumental achievement to me. You should be feeling so proud of yourself. I hope that whatever course of action you choose to take in future, you will continue successfully on this journey to better health. I've heard that weight loss can be very beneficial for sleep apnea and I hope that, as you lose even more weight, that will prove true for you as well. My husband and I also enjoy meeting friends at restaurants for social evenings out and I do understand that there is some degree of difficulty eating out when on a restricted diet. I've had to work around my celiac disease for many years when eating out and the LC diet is of course even more restrictive. But still I find it working out satisfactorily. I usually get something grilled like steak or seafood and a veggie or salad side. Like you, I formerly enjoyed a glass of wine before dinner but now am enjoying vodka or bourbon or rum instead. Those spirits taste pretty strong to me [I'm drinking them straight] so I take the tiniest of sips, barely wetting my lips, and the drink lasts forever. When eating out, I often ask questions of the waiter or chef about ingredients, especially to confirm that no gluten containing ingredients are hidden in the food. The restaurant staff has always been gracious and accommodating if, for example, I ask to substitute a green veggie for the potatoes or rice normally included with the meal I've chosen. Anyway, I do want to wish you all the best and much success in continuing to lose weight. I know it is especially difficult when your spouse eats differently but it is doable. My husband doesn't follow a low carb diet so we eat different meals during the week and somehow it works out fine for us. I so hope you can find a similar balance. Good luck to you, Rob.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 11-13-2013 at 01:49 PM..
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I suggest that you get a hold of a copy of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and read it. Or a similar book that explains the diet and how it works. You are under some misconceptions and I think that is making life harder for you.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

5 carbs per meal as I am trying for 5-6 meals a day - so thats 25-30 carbs a day - Induction - No?

It worked and got 30lbs off and 2 pant sizes - Even though I have been eating carbs here and there I have not gained weight but I feel that my stomach is getting bigger I think.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
5 carbs per meal as I am trying for 5-6 meals a day - so thats 25-30 carbs a day - Induction - No?

It worked and got 30lbs off and 2 pant sizes - Even though I have been eating carbs here and there I have not gained weight but I feel that my stomach is getting bigger I think.
Yes, you're right. I thought you were eating 3 meals a day. Are you weighing? It might help to know just where you are.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Actually 20 carbs max per day is induction

i need to loose 30-40 more lbs so I should stay on induction

Even Phase 2 says 20-45 carbs max a day.

This is me exactly - From the Atkins site "If your doctor has diagnosed you with metabolic syndrome or your waist measures more than 40 inches (if you’re a guy) or is it larger than your hips (if you’re a gal), and you have high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and low HDL (“good”) cholesterol, chances are that you have this condition, also known as prediabetes. Have your doctor check your blood sugar, blood pressure and insulin levels. Start in Induction, and remain there until you get your blood sugar and insulin levels under control."

My blood sugar is normal for some reason.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I weighed 219 this morning but that fluctuates between 217 and 220 daily.

Started at 247
Old 11-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
My blood sugar is normal for some reason.
Blood sugar as a test is only useful once you have actually moved into the pre-diabetic or diabetic range. The more insightful test that gives you a lot more information in the early stages, which doctors do not want to give you, is the fasting insulin test. Anything over 10 is insulin resistance. Mine is 12.8 I think, 12.something. I have insulin resistance. All my blood sugar readings are normal. Insulin resistance comes first, then later comes pre-diabetes and diabetes.

Doctors should always measure fasting insulin levels.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #56
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
It's an addiction, and it's going to fight you the entire way. The withdrawals feel remarkably similar to quitting smoking.

The only way out is through.

As Winston Churchill said: "If you're going through Hell, keep going."
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/135.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
This is something you can choose to work on. You say exercise doesn't work. Okay, try something else. It seems like you expect a lot from food and it continues to disappoint you.
well said.
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
first two days are horrible.. one thing about doing low carb is after about 4 to 5 days your body kicks into ketosis and you lose you appetite... pre cook things you can eat and have them on hand.. boiled eggs.. bacon.. stay high fat and low carb for a few days should help you get through it....also if you want something sweet, enjoy a sugar free jello ... hang in there... you will make it though
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/135.4/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
It's an addiction, and it's going to fight you the entire way. The withdrawals feel remarkably similar to quitting smoking.

The only way out is through.

As Winston Churchill said: "If you're going through Hell, keep going."
LowCarbedD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Hey rob,

I know it can be quite tough figuring out what to eat. The benefits are good, the weight loss os good, the reduced hunger is good but the menu oh the menu!!! I spend a lot of time making salads with stirfried meat! I find that fresh herbs, soy sauce and mayo are my friends and cream!! Also parmesan grated over any meat is good, full stop. Chicken can be bland period. try a simple soy and ginger or garlic marinade with tsp of vinegar and a chili pepper.

I managed an entire weekend away in dubai drinking and stuffing myself (i live in a dry country so the drinking was a must) and came back with 0.4 lbs which disappeared the next day. I ordered steak and mushrooms or checked for simple oil based marinades so you can eat out and not have crazy gains, people dont seem to mind when i ask them to hold the potatoes and give me a salad or steamed veg instead, its ok to ask whats in the food.

I've started planning my menu a week in advance to enable me to control what i am eating. If you are really busy having an easy lunch sorted out beforehand is better. I always used to roll my eyes at the list makers but its really helped. Also by planning you can plan new recipes, you sound like you can cook fine but low carbing seems to require more thought, i know the number of times my carb total has been foiled by red pepper!

I think another poster here got it right, keep it simple for the moment stick to dishes that you like and you know how to do easily until you are back in the swing of things and then branch out. I eat my meatballs with parmesan and the obligatory salad, quite nice, you get used to it again. I fell off the wagon for two or three weeks and was quite depressed at starting again but now i have its absolutely fine. Its just the starting which is tough, you lost 30lbs before so you know you can do this!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote