Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Tried something different (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816866-tried-something-different.html)

cfine 11-10-2013 04:12 PM

Tried something different

Today. Usually I am really bad about not eating much until about 3:00 and then I eat most of my calories from then until bedtime. I have been afraid to eat the bulk of my calories prior to this time because I have a phobia about being hungry at night and not having enough calories or carbs to eat.

Today I woke up and ate my usual breakfast. Then about 12 or 1:00 I got hungry so I ate lunch. Although I wasn't really hungry, I still wanted more to eat. I ended up eating nuts and a HF chocolate mousse in addition to my lunch. I didn't get hungry for dinner until 6:30. I had enough calories left to eat a nice dinner and have a small snack. I think I am going to try this from now on. I don't need the crutch of saving my food for later. I felt better too.

Spanilingo 11-10-2013 04:44 PM

I think it's pretty natural to change up ones eating schedule regularly. My body has never been routine sometimes big breakfasts .... Sometimes no lunch and big dinner . Sometimes light all day sometimes ... Eat all day ....depends. Luckily , if it doesn't work for you, you can change it up again!!! I'm in a not hungry at breakfast mode. I have never in 44 yrs regardless of way of eating not been hungry first thing in morning.

dgidaho 11-10-2013 06:40 PM

cfine--that's great! Or, at least it would be a good sign for me! Here's why:

Before converting to low carb, anytime I tried to lose weight, I "rationed" food so I wouldn't have to go hungry. It was probably more like hoarding than rationing. I hoarded calories for later in the day. It was part of my obsession with food, I suppose. I just always had a fear of being hungry later with a spent "calorie allowance", and wanted to guard against that. But it also kept me focused on food most of the day. Since converting to low carb, this hasn't manifested itself--probably because I'm seldom hungry! But it also means that I'm no longer obsessed with food! (The exception being when I go off-plan and trigger cravings....)

Blue Skies 11-11-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanilingo (Post 16678408)
I think it's pretty natural to change up ones eating schedule regularly. My body has never been routine sometimes big breakfasts .... Sometimes no lunch and big dinner . Sometimes light all day sometimes ... Eat all day ....depends. Luckily , if it doesn't work for you, you can change it up again!!! I'm in a not hungry at breakfast mode. I have never in 44 yrs regardless of way of eating not been hungry first thing in morning.

Same here. Have never wanted food in the morning, not even when I was a kid. Not before 11. But now I do BPC every morning and it's perfect for me.

Cfine---This is a great discovery for you. dgidaho puts it very well. Hoarding calories and carbs is not the lifestyle we want. I used to do that on low fat low calorie diets, but I don't do it on LC. I eat when I'm hungry, and usually, it all works out within my target range.

MsWoods 11-11-2013 10:34 AM

I'm the same way. I think I do do better when I eat throughout the day, but I want to save calories/carbs for later, then I over eat.

I'm really wanting to try BP coffee again, because I've never been a morning eater, but I think it would help to get some good fat in early.

snowangel9 11-11-2013 10:40 AM

Cfine, that is an amazing discovery you've learned about yourself. I think lessons like this are what helps make this a lifestyle change.. Good for you!! :up:

cfine 11-11-2013 11:37 AM

Yes, I am a calorie and carb "hoarder" but I don't want to be. Hoping this is going to work for me mentally.

seaofsand 11-11-2013 01:10 PM

Cfine, I'm in the same boat. Sunday through Friday, I rarely eat before three in the afternoon. I cram all of my calories and carbs into a small window because I try to stop eating before eight in the evening. I've been doing this so long now that I don't even know how it would feel to space out my meals over the day. I'm another person who doesn't like to eat in the mornings, but maybe I should give it a shot. Thanks for your post.

Arctic_Mama 11-11-2013 01:13 PM

Good for you for experimenting! I've found it varies with me - some mornings I wake up quite hungry and then I eat more of my calories earlier and am done earlier, some days (like today) it is noon and I'm only thirsty. But avoiding the mindset of hoarding carbs and calories may be very helpful for some of us who have difficulty achieving dietary balance. Sometimes that can lead to disordered thinking/ eating habits, and in others it causes no problem. Knowing where you fall or want to fall is pretty crucial.

Just Russ 11-11-2013 01:24 PM

I've been bad about eating on schedule... at least breakfast. Too often it's noon before I'm finished. (I get on the 'puter & tend my web sites & mail & such... )
I find it really better to eat properly on a reasonable schedule. Wife does dinner. Breakfasts & Lunches we're on our own, which is fine. Thing is, we eat dinner at varying times which is difficult. If I eat breakfast & lunch on time... 7 & 12, let's say... I should be eating again around 4. Or if I hold off because dinner is early (say 5), I should eat a snack about 9ish.
I usually end up with my cinnamon/Splenda/pork rinds, or preboiled eggs (WM carries them in the deli section. I rinse well before eating.) But I'm not satisfied with this plan.

cfine 11-11-2013 05:27 PM

I am so proud of myself. I ate all of my protein and most of my carbs by lunchtime today and I didn't get all freaked out. I just fixed myself a nice fatty chocolate mousse and ate that for dinner and a little night snack. I'm feeling a little bit hungry, but I'm not upset about it. This is major for me!

metqa 11-12-2013 08:58 AM

Wow, I never though of it as "hoarding " calories. I just really don't care for eating in the morning.

I always feel like it's a hassle to get up and the first thing mucking about the kitchen. I usually feel nice and energetic enough to get things done and the digestion process makes me feel sluggish and I always feel hungry soon after having eaten so then I'm stuck preparing my next meal or snacking.

I've gone an entire morning and most of the afternoon in fasting mode and had lots of energy, gone shopping run errands and not felt the slightest pinch of hunger until the point that my body says "EAT NOW OR ELSE" That's usually the end of my busy time cause then I stop and cook and eat and digest and don't feel like doing anything else. LOL.

I've tried eating breakfast sometimes, But then I feel hungry for lunch at lunch time ( Ohnoes) and sometimes I just enjoy the clean feeling of not being hungry or tied to food and meal times.

Other times I eat all day. :laugh: I think there is a plan actually where you extend your sleeping fasting state as far as you can and then eat only one or two meals, so that you end up fasting for 16 hours and only eating for 8 hours. So if you went to sleep at 11pm, you would fast until around 3pm and eat your meals between 3pm and 10 pm. Is there something wrong with that concept?

I honestly like the concept of just eat when you are hungry. Food can taste awful to me, even it it would otherwise be delicious, if I'm not hungry for it.

cfine 11-12-2013 04:10 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with your concept at all, Metqa. I say do whatever works for you. I have truly had a head problem with hoarding my food for later on in the day and then eating all evening. I feel like, for me, night eating is not a good thing. That is one of the biggest reasons I got so fat in the first place. This has been a huge revelation for me. I have now eaten all of my carbs and protein by lunchtime and then just had fat at dinner and after.

metqa 11-12-2013 04:33 PM

Well, that doesn't sound so bad. I DO love my FAT!!
I think I explained my night eating from a several years ago when I was having night panic attacks ( and probably low blood sugar) waking up and couldn't get back to sleep for an hour unless I ate something. But if I ate a fatty or meaty snack before bed, I'd be more likely to stay asleep. Then I'd not be hungry for breakfast time and I think everything pretty much shifted forward.

I think I'd like to try breakfast when I go back to EFGT, because well FAT is awesome and filling all day. and I do also worry about being hungry in the evening, but then I eat, and if it's low carb it's not usually a problem, but it's when wasn't NOT low carb that got me !

So....What kinda fat are you having for dinner??

cfine 11-12-2013 07:45 PM

I have been making a chocolate mousse and eating that from about 4:00 on until about 7:00. Here's my recipe that I found somewhere but don't remember where: 1/2 stick Unsalted butter, 3oz HWC, 1tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp sweetener(I use powdered Swerve) and 2 oz cream cheese. Mix everything together except HWC. Whip the HWC separate and then fold into mixture. It's 917 calories for the whole batch.

dgidaho 11-12-2013 08:24 PM

metqa--it's only hoarding if you're intentionally storing up calories/carbs/whatever with the type of logic/reasoning I described. Some people simply aren't hungry earlier in the day. But for people like me, this "hoarding" was something to be overcome! (And I have, thanks to LC!) :)

metqa 11-13-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16681068)
I have been making a chocolate mousse and eating that from about 4:00 on until about 7:00. Here's my recipe that I found somewhere but don't remember where: 1/2 stick Unsalted butter, 3oz HWC, 1tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tbsp sweetener(I use powdered Swerve) and 2 oz cream cheese. Mix everything together except HWC. Whip the HWC separate and then fold into mixture. It's 917 calories for the whole batch.

Oh... My... Goodness! That sounds delectable!:yummy: I'll bet that could be made in batches ahead of time to save on the clean up ( I hate clean up) and then whip the HWC into it right before you eat it? How Cool!:clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgidaho (Post 16681100)
metqa--it's only hoarding if you're intentionally storing up calories/carbs/whatever with the type of logic/reasoning I described. Some people simply aren't hungry earlier in the day. But for people like me, this "hoarding" was something to be overcome! (And I have, thanks to LC!) :)

I see, I'm a hoarder of food in the Pantry sense( I have twenty cans of Rotel and several old boxes of Carbsense cookie and pancake mixes that I go through ever so slowly), not so much the eating sense. on HCG you kinda do that because it's recommended to have only coffee for breakfast. And I can see how some folks have problems eating late, and that could be bad, like heart burn or bad dreams. My Mom OTOH has to eat soon after getting up or she gets shaky. I used to think she was exaggerating but she gets really bad if she doesn't eat something within an hour or so of being up.

MsWoods 11-13-2013 11:54 AM

Ok, can I just add that I'm a food hoarder, to make anyone else feel better:laugh:

I always buy way too much, freeze it, and end up throwing a lot out. Before I lost weight, we used to never have food, so I would eat crap or fast food, and gain weight.

I'm always scared of not having food I can eat so I hoard food.

My last name is hoard (I'm not joking), so I guess it's fitting.

metqa 11-13-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 16681978)
Ok, can I just add that I'm a food hoarder, to make anyone else feel better:laugh:

I always buy way too much, freeze it, and end up throwing a lot out. Before I lost weight, we used to never have food, so I would eat crap or fast food, and gain weight.

I'm always scared of not having food I can eat so I hoard food.

My last name is hoard (I'm not joking), so I guess it's fitting.

I hear you :shake: Part of my "Home therapy" is not going shopping for anything but fresh veggies and eating from my freezer and pantry to par it down. I've got too many pantry and freezer items that are just getting older. We should start a thread! "What did I cook from the pantry Today!"

MsWoods 11-13-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16681989)
I hear you :shake: Part of my "Home therapy" is not going shopping for anything but fresh veggies and eating from my freezer and pantry to par it down. I've got too many pantry and freezer items that are just getting older. We should start a thread! "What did I cook from the pantry Today!"

Hahaha. I would particpate in that thread. But we've recently started re-modeling the kitchen, which included a new fridge, and I've been trying not to food hoard, however, I haven't been paying attention lately and have been falling back into old habbits, so now I have crap I don't need, nor will I eat/use. :annoyed:

cfine 11-13-2013 01:29 PM

I am a food hoarder too!! Oh my! My Dad was a child in the Great Depression, And we always had a big freezer that was always full, a huge pantry that always was full. It's jut how I was raised. We could eat for a long while without really needing to shop but I still go to Sams or Costco once a month.

Blue Skies 11-13-2013 03:58 PM

This thread brings up an interesting point---the difference between "hoarding" calories and carbs and making choices that feel good for us, even if they don't fit in w/the Breakfast, lunch dinner model.

as Cfine says, night time snacking was an issue for her, and there was always a fear of "running out" of legitimate food it seems. So cool that she's found she can eat when she's hungry, starting with the morning and on through the day, and be just fine after all that fear.

For others, like metqa (and me) it's not hoarding as much as just not hungry---and I understand that high energy feeling that I know food would somehow lessen. Today I had BPC at 9am, and "lunch" at 4, when I began to feel hungry. Had a couple of artichokes. Dinner will feel good by 7 and will be a bit of steak and salad.

I will say that I'm more likely to want a nice dinner to end the day, and would rather put my carbs there, same way if I know I'm going to a party or a dinner out, I'd rather spend my carbs there then at lunch. But that doesn't mean you don't eat, or allow hunger to store up, or for that matter, that you have to eat.

One of the things I'm slowly getting better at is listening to my body. If I'm hungry, I eat, If I'm not, not reason to. The one wild card of course, is mind hunger. That's a different ball game.

Anywho, so great for you Cfine. One of the things that keeps LC interesting, imo, as well as changing our eating lifestyle, is how much there is to learn about ourselves, how much we assumed was true, that isn't anymore. We change. So good to keep experimenting!

dgidaho 11-14-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16681961)
I see, I'm a hoarder of food in the Pantry sense( I have twenty cans of Rotel and several old boxes of Carbsense cookie and pancake mixes that I go through ever so slowly), not so much the eating sense.

Oh my goodness! I am, too! You can't find anything to eat for all the cans and boxes and frozen stuff! :) I'm that way about all kinds of stuff, though...we have enough soap and toothpaste to get us through this decade...lol ....just can't resist a good sale....

Quote:

One of the things that keeps LC interesting, imo, as well as changing our eating lifestyle, is how much there is to learn about ourselves, how much we assumed was true, that isn't anymore. We change. So good to keep experimenting!
Blue Skies---I agree, this is so very true! I remember back many years ago, I would eat something before heading to a social engagement just so I wouldn't have to be a pig to feel satisfied. My weight wasn't really an issue then, but I was always so hungry from the carb-infested-diet! (I thought I was fat--and I thought I was eating healthy.) It has only been since I began eating low carb that I've really faced (or rather, admitted) some of these things.

Blue Skies 11-15-2013 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=dgidaho;
Blue Skies---I agree, this is so very true! I remember back many years ago, I would eat something before heading to a social engagement just so I wouldn't have to be a pig to feel satisfied. My weight wasn't really an issue then, but I was always so hungry from the carb-infested-diet! (I thought I was fat--and I thought I was eating healthy.) It has only been since I began eating low carb that I've really faced (or rather, admitted) some of these things.[/QUOTE]

Same here, dgidaho. Always knew I loved carbs, didn't see the addictive nature of them---the more you eat, the more you want. My "appetite" used to be a legend amongst family and friends. Got away w/it for a long time due to youth and being very tall. Then middle age came along, and voila, Metabolic Syndrome hits.

Now on LC I find I sometimes don't finish my first helping, rarely have a second helping. Just don't need it. My legendary appetite was really my carb addiction. Without the carbs, turns out I'm a moderate eater, who knew?!

Mistizoom 11-15-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16684294)
Same here, dgidaho. Always knew I loved carbs, didn't see the addictive nature of them---the more you eat, the more you want. My "appetite" used to be a legend amongst family and friends. Got away w/it for a long time due to youth and being very tall. Then middle age came along, and voila, Metabolic Syndrome hits.

Now on LC I find I sometimes don't finish my first helping, rarely have a second helping. Just don't need it. My legendary appetite was really my carb addiction. Without the carbs, turns out I'm a moderate eater, who knew?!

Oh, this is so true. I think people who have never done a truly low carb diet can't really comprehend the addictive nature of carbs. I know I didn't. I thought I could never give up carbs but I would have never said I was addicted to them. But one day I did give them up - just exactly a year ago - and my view of food has changed dramatically. It's great, isn't it?

Blue Skies 11-15-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16684298)
Oh, this is so true. I think people who have never done a truly low carb diet can't really comprehend the addictive nature of carbs. I know I didn't. I thought I could never give up carbs but I would have never said I was addicted to them. But one day I did give them up - just exactly a year ago - and my view of food has changed dramatically. It's great, isn't it?

Yes Misti, it really is great. Another NSV. It's amazing to me when I think how often I ate too much, mostly carbs, and then that stuffed uncomfortable dozy feeling, no energy. Then hungry again an hour or two later. Crazy.

I have so much more energy after meals now, rarely even feel full, just satisfied. So cool. Feels like being released from something that had you around the neck---or more appropriately for me, around the middle. :)

dgidaho 11-15-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16684701)
Yes Misti, it really is great. Another NSV. It's amazing to me when I think how often I ate too much, mostly carbs, and then that stuffed uncomfortable dozy feeling, no energy. Then hungry again an hour or two later. Crazy.

I have so much more energy after meals now, rarely even feel full, just satisfied. So cool. Feels like being released from something that had you around the neck---or more appropriately for me, around the middle. :)

I so agree!

cfine 11-16-2013 07:40 AM

Update: I have been eating my dinner by around 4:30, I reduced my protein intake from 100 grams down to 80 grams, and I have lost 5 pounds in a week. This is not the water weight that you lose at the beginning of a LC diet.

susan41 11-16-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16685258)
Update: I have been eating my dinner by around 4:30, I reduced my protein intake from 100 grams down to 80 grams, and I have lost 5 pounds in a week. This is not the water weight that you lose at the beginning of a LC diet.

What! I'm gonna have to re read this thread and see how. Congrats

cfine 11-16-2013 10:41 AM

Susan, it's just a tweak on Atkins. Once I got the hang of it, I can't imagine going back. I lost my first 50 pounds on Atkins and then switched to NK.