Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Xylitol and Ketosis... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816852-xylitol-ketosis.html)

marieze 11-10-2013 11:49 AM

Xylitol and Ketosis...

I was reading reviews on Xylitol as I thought I would buy some to bake with and a few threads mentioned that it will knock one out of ketosis.....

What has your experience been?

Marieze

ravenrose 11-10-2013 03:36 PM

It's all a matter of quantity! are you avoiding things like Splenda completely? I think a combination is best.

But please note that for some people, aka ME, Xylitol has the WORST digestive side effects. It is regular as clockwork, such that I use it as a cure if I ever get constipated. When you say "baking" it's often something for other people as well as yourself and you need to make sure everyone on your invitation list is ok with it. If it were me, an hour after ingestion I would be moaning in your bathroom as embarrassed as could possibly be!

good luck.

girondet 11-10-2013 07:45 PM

It didn't prevent weight loss for me, but I didn't track whether I was in ketosis or not. I only used small amounts though.

lterry913 11-11-2013 07:25 AM

Erythritol sweetens like and has the same physical crystal appearancane as xylitol. The brand name for erythrotol and stevia blend is Truvia. I use E with no problem...tho some do get the same bathroom problems with it as the xylitol. Erythritol is lower in carbs and callories and has a lower glycemic index as well...at least that is how I remeber the stats.

Janknitz 11-11-2013 08:06 AM

No problems with xylitol for me. I don't track ketosis, but it has No impact on blood glucose. And I have no GI symptoms while some othe sugar alcohols have an instant effect.

marieze 11-11-2013 08:13 PM

Truvia

So is there Ztruvia and a Truvia Blend that is different with actual sugar mixed in? :stars:

Marieze

lterry913 11-12-2013 06:31 AM

There is no truvia blend that I know of that contains sugar...The truvia I mention looks just like xylitol and contains only erythritol and stevia...I get erythritol from Netrtion and I know you shop there and it is much less expensive this way...the only ingredient is erythritol...I get the granular and then powder it in my bullet blender or coffee grinder with the grinder blade...it works better for baking this way and makes great frosting...xylitol is good but higher gllycemic index, higher cals and is poisonous to pets.

Mistizoom 11-12-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16679866)
So is there Ztruvia and a Truvia Blend that is different with actual sugar mixed in? :stars:

Marieze

Truvia Baking Blend contains actual sugar - so avoid that one. I prefer to make my own Truvia, it's easy, tastes better and is cheaper: 1 cup erythritol and 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract powder (should contain no fillers whatsoever).

lterry913 11-12-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16680284)
Truvia Baking Blend contains actual sugar - so avoid that one. I prefer to make my own Truvia, it's easy, tastes better and is cheaper: 1 cup erythritol and 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract powder (should contain no fillers whatsoever).

This is correct I just saw this at the store I am so sorry if I misled you erythritol and Truvia regular do not have any sugar in them
Happy shopping!

sillyme 11-14-2013 08:47 AM

I would not recommend Xylitol either, big time stomach pains for me!