LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Thanksgiving Plans

Are there any folks out there who are planning to do a low carb Thanksgiving? If so, what are your coping strategies? I am going to make sure I have plenty of low carb sides and options.

Last edited by GailyGail; 11-10-2013 at 06:11 AM..
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Yes, I'm going to try to cover all the family favorites but also have good LC options for me. I plan to have mashed cauliflower, LC green bean casserole, and I will make Jody's pumpkin bake for my dessert. I will still have to make mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, yeast rolls, pumpkin pie and apple pie for the family. Funny though, the stuffing is really the only thing I will truly miss!

Really looking forward to the turkey!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Two of my low-carb Thanksgiving favorites are:
Creamed spinach (made with cream cheese and parmesan, not a flour-based sauce)
Brussels sprouts, steamed, then cut in half and fried in bacon grease until the flat sides are golden brown, served with chunks of bacon!

Oh, and also, cranberry sauce made with just cranberries and chopped up orange(including the peel). It is tart, but so good you don't need the sweetness. 1 orange and 1-1 1/2C crans.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's so hard. vegetable dishes that are squarely "low carb" still add up WAY too fast when you have 3 or 4 of them! that plus a dessert... you are way over the limit too soon. of course eating 40 grams of carbs is still WAY better than 300, so I am not suggesting you don't try.

but we often spread it out over more than one meal, rather than having all the sides at once. we enjoy it even more.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
That's what we do, if we are home for Thanksgiving. Everything is low carb. Cauliflower mashed potatoes, lc green bean casserole. We may over do it, but that's only one day. Funny thing is, we had a Thanksgiving at my sisters and I made regular mashed potatoes, low carb mashed potatoes (Dixie diner) and Linda Sue's just like twice baked potatoes cauliflower. Those brats ate almost all of the low carb one!!! And everything was labeled.

I thought it was a hoot. Given the choice what just about everyone chose was the low carb one.

Sirtain, that's how my Mom has always made cranberry relish, well almost. She uses a whole bag of cranberries, one apple and one orange. She'd grind it up through her kitchen aid grinder! It's still my favorite and you don't need a lot. Yum, yum...

But, if I can it's easier to avoid it! This year we are headed to Vegas. So, we'll just eat out! Easy and no cleanup! Or leftovers. I love leftovers!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Our approach is celebratory but simple. My husband smokes a turkey [and it is always incredibly beautiful looking as well as super delicious]. Sides are potatoes [which of course I don't eat] and I always roast some veggies...in recent years I've roasted broccoli tossed with onions, Kalamata olives, and a few grape tomatoes & drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice...very quick and easy and really wonderful tasting and I hope not too carby. This is really a low stress, very easy, simple and yet delicious meal which allows plenty of time & energy for pleasure and relaxation and giving thanks.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 11-10-2013 at 02:55 PM..
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
My cousin is taking us out to dinner. The place we are going to has a set menu for the day. I called & spoke with the manager to see what my options might be.

I've determined that I'll be eating a small salad, turkey breast, and lots of broccoli. I'll have water & iced tea to drink. As long as I'm not sitting there with an empty plate I'll be fine. I'm not really interested in eating the starchy, sugary foods so that is not a concern.

The others will be enjoying several starchy sides plus dessert in addition to what I'll be having. And wine or whatever else they might want to drink.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
This will be the first time I've made a low carb Thanksgiving dinner. I'm still going to make a few classic side dishes for my husband (macaroni and cheese, real potatoes, stuffing), but not for me. I'll have "just like twice baked potatoes" cauliflower, green beans, tossed salad, and some kind of sugarless pumpkin dessert I'm either going to make ham or turkey as the meat, but I haven't decided yet. This will be the first year I haven't made cranberries for myself, and I LOVE cranberries. However, my husband hates them and they have too many carbs, so this year I'll be skipping them.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
While carbs are higher than I normally eat , they are still low carb choices. I either indulge in a high carb food OR make excellent side.

My favorite is spaghetti squash bacon gruyere casserole . I'll post recipe later . I swear it's better than Mac and cheese or stuffing. With a little homemade cranberry sauce made with Splenda or a couple table spoons of the regular, I swear it's amazing!!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Spanilingo, please post that recipe for spaghetti squash bacon gruyere casserole. It sounds fabulous! Thank you!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Spanilingo, please post that recipe for spaghetti squash bacon gruyere casserole. It sounds fabulous! Thank you!
I'm posting this because it took me a bit to find the thread again, and I came looking for the recipe.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
This is taken from the website: Search - Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bacon Casserole on Google. There are pics. I DO NOT first bake the squash. I pierce it , microwave the whole thing, then scoop THEN bake in the casserole. It is too complicated otherwise. Also, on many recipes they suggest turkey bacon. While it has a milder flavor with the Gruyere, regular bacon crisps nicer and is more crunchy or "roasty tasting." Also-- I highly suggest NOT using a maple flavored bacon. They taste too strong too. Also---USE GOOD GRUYERE. Boars head tastes like plastic and you will not get that yummy nutty flavor. I sometimes throw in a bit of jarlsberg too but it is great just as recipe suggests.

Ingredients:

1 Spaghetti Squash (3-4 pounds) - about 3 cups cooked squash is needed
splash of Olive Oil
a few pinches Garlic Salt
a few pinches Black Pepper
8 ounces Turkey Bacon (or nitrate free Pork Bacon), cook according to package directions
1 large Egg, whisked
1 cup low fat Cottage Cheese
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 cup Gruyére Cheese

Bake the Squash or Microwave the Squash-- whichever method you prefer. You must precook the squash before re-baking it with the casserole.

Cut it in half from tip to tip (long ways) and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Scrape the sides of the squash with a fork until you have removed all the stringy spaghetti. Toss the strands in a bowl with some olive oil, garlic salt and pepper.

Casserole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Prepare bacon according to package directions. In a medium bowl combine squash, cottage cheese, nutmeg, and another pinch of pepper and garlic salt to taste if needed. Add the egg.
In a 9 inch bake safe pie dish layer squash mixture, then a layer of the bacon, another layer of squash then bacon again. Top with Gruyére cheese and bake for about 25 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. If you want to crisp up the cheese a little more set the broil on low for a minute or two.

This is really ridiculously good! I eat it as a meal often.

Last edited by Spanilingo; 11-11-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this recipe! I am so excited to make this.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
it's so hard. vegetable dishes that are squarely "low carb" still add up WAY too fast when you have 3 or 4 of them! that plus a dessert... you are way over the limit too soon. of course eating 40 grams of carbs is still WAY better than 300, so I am not suggesting you don't try.

but we often spread it out over more than one meal, rather than having all the sides at once. we enjoy it even more.
THIS! I make a totally low carb Thanksgiving (with one exception for my son this year home from basic training) and those carbs REALLY add up! IT is more than I eat normally. This year I am making a very low key dinner, and I am still sticking to what I eat on a regular basis. I find that if I start eating the sweets or the dressing I really eat too much of it. It is easier for me just to eat what I normally eat and just enjoy watching my family enjoy all the goodies!
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Thanks for the recipe. It sounds good. Hopefully I'll get the good Gruyére Cheese. I'll just pick one from the gourmet cheese case and hope I pick a good one.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I try to make my Thanksgiving as LC as possible. I can have all the turkey, green beans, and deviled eggs that I want. They are LC and need no modification. For other stuff, here are a few of my faves.

For ham, I use George Stella's low carb Bourbon glaze (I use rum) and it's delicious. It replaces my old way of pineapple and brown sugar.

Obviously, creamed cauliflower can replace mashed potatoes.

I use Dreamfields elbows with Deli Deluxe cheese slices and some shredded cheddar for a mac and cheese that can be stovetop, or popped in the oven for a "casserole" style.

For dessert, I make the almond flour/mayo chocolate cake that I got from this site. It's supposed to be cooked in a bundt pan, but it does fine in a cake pan. I frost with cream cheese/whipped cream icing and it's pretty good. It's easily the best low carb cake I've ever tried.

Stuffing/dressing is the hardest. I have played around with some almond/flax creations but nothing beats the real thing.

My strategy is to fill up on the LC stuff and try to minimize the high carb foods.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote