Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Fast food burgers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816805-fast-food-burgers.html)

cherrytt_too 11-09-2013 02:27 PM

Fast food burgers

How do you order yours, and where are your favorites from?

Do you special order no bun, or just disassemble on your own? Who has the friendliest low carb burger options?

Just trying to add to my arsenal of preparedness if I'm out and about and starving.

My favorite: Wendy's baconator. Order no bun, no ketchup, side salad instead of fries with slivered almonds instead of croutons, and a diet coke or a water.
They serve the burger in one of their baked potato bowls with 2 packets of mayo - very convenient! No mess to worry about :)

Rebecca1979 11-09-2013 02:32 PM

Burger places are VERY topping friendly! (Think Fuddruckers, Red Robin)

IF you want to go faster/Cheaper try Cook Out and Hardee's! I love Hardee's hot dogs! They both have a lot of interesting toppings and hardee's has lettuce"buns"

I try to avoid Mcdonalds(tons of fillers!).

Charski 11-09-2013 02:35 PM

Carl's Jr (Hardees) bunless turkey jalapeno burger is my current fave. They wrap it in lettuce, then paper, so you can actually eat it out-of-hand. They'll do ANY sandwich they make with a lettuce wrap - I just ask for it "low carb style" and that's that.

Ntombi 11-09-2013 02:51 PM

Depending on the place, I'll order it without the bun, or do it myself. I've learned which places do best with unusual orders and which can't handle them without messing up, though I still get the ocassional screwup, because they're human. I can't eat the lettuce-wrapped burgers, because I'm allergic, so I need them just in a box, but that's not always easy to convey, so I just work around it. Lettuce wrapped is still easier than in a bun, because the lettuce doesn't stick to the cheese as you try to remove it.

From Wendy's I get a bunless baconator.

McDonald's, either a couple of McDoubles or a double quarter pounder with cheese (their non-burgers and angus burgers have fillers, but their regular burgers are 100% beef). I remove the bun myself.

Carl's Jr: bunless double super bacon cheeseburger, no tomato, and then I'll remove the lettuce. (They can't handle me asking for a bunless burger not wrapped in lettuce, so I choose the lesser of two evils.)

I love fast casual places that offer a good burger with plenty of toppings to choose from, like Red Robin. I went there a couple of weeks ago, and had a double cheeseburger with sautéed mushroomed caramelized onions, bacon, chipotle aioli, and a fried egg. And a side of steamed broccoli. :)

Rebecca1979 11-09-2013 02:54 PM

Ntombi I'm going to have to try that at RR! I love a fried egg on my burger!

luvmybabyhead 11-09-2013 02:55 PM

Hardee's/Carl Jr is pretty good about doing the lettuce wrap but I'm not terribly fond of lettuce wraps. Wendy's is awesome about getting my order and just tossing it into a container so I usually go there for a big sloppy burger if I don't make my own.

I admit a secret fondness for McD double cheeseburgers...I just peel the buns off of those!

MtherGoos 11-09-2013 03:40 PM

Ntombi, thank you for sharing that! I always thought that the Angus burgers would be better quality and a better choice. Thank you for sharing that info. Lately, I've just been getting their McDoubles though because I can eat so cheaply there when I do that! LOL Now, I'm glad I have been.

No matter where I order from, I always have them leave the bun and all the sauces off. I hate losing my cheese by having it stick to the bun.

satina 11-09-2013 03:47 PM

IN N Out Protein Style

cherrytt_too 11-09-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16677341)
Ntombi, thank you for sharing that! I always thought that the Angus burgers would be better quality and a better choice. Thank you for sharing that info. Lately, I've just been getting their McDoubles though because I can eat so cheaply there when I do that! LOL Now, I'm glad I have been.

No matter where I order from, I always have them leave the bun and all the sauces off. I hate losing my cheese by having it stick to the bun.

Do you order your McDoubles that way? How do they serve them?

I always forget about Hardee's lettuce wraps.

MtherGoos 11-09-2013 05:31 PM

Yes, I just order the mcdouble with no sauce, no bun, and no onion. I usually get 2 of them and it's a great meal for under $3.

cherrytt_too 11-09-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16677423)
Yes, I just order the mcdouble with no sauce, no bun, and no onion. I usually get 2 of them and it's a great meal for under $3.

But do they just give you patties and cheese wrapped in paper, or do they put it in a box or something?

Ocean 11-09-2013 05:34 PM

I get Quarter Pounders, double cheeseburgers, and grilled onion cheddar burgers from McDonalds. I just take off the bun myself.

I get a double bacon cheeseburger with onions, lettuce, and pickles with no bun from Five Guys. They put in a nice box for you and they have never blinked at my no bun request.

I get a double cheeseburger with bacon added from Wench's with no bun. Sometimes they react well and other times they look at as if I have two heads for ordering no bun. The last girl asked rather incrediously "why no bun. I have never heard if that before". Well now you have.

Annabel Lee 11-09-2013 05:45 PM

In & Out
Flying Dutchman….Beef and cheese only.

srmil30 11-09-2013 06:42 PM

I love to go to Hardee's and Red Robin. As others have stated Hardee's will make any of their sandwiches low carb one simply has to ask. Red Robin is awesome. I always order a bacon cheese burger with avocado and pepper jack cheese with a side of broccoli. Yum........

Dreamchaser 11-09-2013 06:55 PM

Nothing against anyone who enjoys their fast food. I have most certainly had my share for sure! It's just very eye opening and informative and being informed is always a good thing! :)

MtherGoos 11-10-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrytt_too (Post 16677425)
But do they just give you patties and cheese wrapped in paper, or do they put it in a box or something?

Kelly, they usually put it on a lettuce leaf in a salad bowl and give me a fork with it.

Just Russ 11-10-2013 09:54 AM

I eat fast food burgers regularly. McD Bac Quarter pounder with cheese or a double... no bun, no catsup.

I actually like Wendys food better but I felt embarrassed to ask them to bring the tray over (I can't manage the cane & tray at the same time)... their counter set up is not conducive to giving assistance.

I haven't tied Burger King in recent memory... there isn't one in my shopping circle.

snowangel9 11-10-2013 11:47 AM

Ocean, that's funny. Wendy's was one of the first to jump,on the low carb 'no bun' wagon. The ones I've been too actually have a button on the register for 'no bun'.

I don't do fast food much any more, but Wendy's and McD's were the easiest. And Carl's Jr. Six dollar burger in a lettuce wrap was always good too...

BumbleStang 11-10-2013 03:38 PM

In N Out double-double with grilled onions, protein style
Carl's Jr. Low Carb $6 burger (sometimes I'll even order their fried zucchini on the side and then peel and toss the outside breading)
Wendy's Baconator, no bun

I've never had a problem ordering but I always get a kick when I order my bunless burger and then get asked "would you like fries with that?" Haha... NO!

MtherGoos 11-10-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumbleStang (Post 16678335)
In N Out double-double with grilled onions, protein style
Carl's Jr. Low Carb $6 burger (sometimes I'll even order their fried zucchini on the side and then peel and toss the outside breading)
Wendy's Baconator, no bun

I've never had a problem ordering but I always get a kick when I order my bunless burger and then get asked "would you like fries with that?" Haha... NO!

LOL! I agree! :rofl: I always thought... What the heck! Of course I don't want fries with that..... but then my sister told me that she orders hers protein style so that she doesn't feel as bad about eating the fries! :rofl: So I guess some people do that. :dunno:

Just Russ 11-10-2013 03:57 PM

The McD I go to is barely a year old & they have a no bun button.

eagle eye 11-10-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16677280)
Carl's Jr (Hardees) bunless turkey jalapeno burger is my current fave. They wrap it in lettuce, then paper, so you can actually eat it out-of-hand. They'll do ANY sandwich they make with a lettuce wrap - I just ask for it "low carb style" and that's that.

This burger is delicious :sing: It happens to be my favorite fast food burger. Hardees is very lc friendly when it comes to preparing the burgers w/o buns

erinmarie 11-11-2013 08:19 AM

My only fast food options are Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Burger King . And at the burger places, the idea of no bun would be insanely foreign, Lowcarbing is not a lifestyle most people here are at all familiar with. I just get blank states when I explain what I don't eat, so I focus on what I DO lol. But yeah, we only do fast food maybe once a month as a treat for my little girl, so she can get a toy a bolloen and hit the playground. The food is tertiary to her. I do a burger, toss bun and sometimes a side salad.

Arctic_Mama 11-11-2013 01:17 PM

I just order then lettuce wrapped or bunless, using small words and slow speaking if the cashier is acting like I'm insane ;)

Kittycatmom 11-13-2013 08:14 AM

Elevation burger with cheese (organic grass fed beef, organic cheddar) on a paper plate.

Stacy O 11-13-2013 09:23 AM

I just order the burger with no special bun removal requests....it's easier for me to pitch the bun myself. Plus I like to let the bun soak up the excess grease (same with a gyros and the pita).

In the Chicagoland area, I love Portillos double cheeseburger with grilled onions, and also Super Dawg's double cheeseburger with diced raw onion. I tend to only order some kind of onion on my cheeseburger, and the cheese HAS to be american. :)

Dreamchaser 11-13-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittycatmom (Post 16681638)
Elevation burger with cheese (organic grass fed beef, organic cheddar) on a paper plate.

I had to google it. Lucky you, wish we had one of those here! :)

Aomiel 11-13-2013 01:57 PM

My go to is always Wendy's because they taste like real burgers. McDonald's burgers aren't wasting my calories on. Same with BK. I just ask for the burger minus the bun and it comes in the little box they put baked potatoes in with lettuce, pickle and tomato but no condiments (unless you ask for them). Add a salad to it and yummm!

mariley 11-13-2013 03:04 PM

I looove McDoubles, I just peel the bun right on off, I don't bother asking for it bun less, its easier to just do it myself. I eat McDoubles fairly regularly.
I really only get mcdoubles or cheese burgers though, i find just eating the quater pounder patties too dry.

synger 11-14-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16678338)
LOL! I agree! :rofl: I always thought... What the heck! Of course I don't want fries with that..... but then my sister told me that she orders hers protein style so that she doesn't feel as bad about eating the fries! :rofl: So I guess some people do that. :dunno:

I'm one of those. I'm moderate-carb rather than low-carb, and my plan allows up to 30 carbs in a meal. That's one small order of fries. I have to choose where I want to eat my carbs: bun or fries.

And some people avoid grains but potatoes aren't a problem for them. So they might go bunless but still get fries.