Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
Nervous about approaching holidays.

I started low carb this time on 10/3/13. I have lost from 172 to 162. I have only cheated maybe 3 times and each time was only a small bite. I didn't eat any candy at Halloween. I don't want to lose control. What I am thinking now is that I am going to allow myself 4 days (thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, and one family day to eat low carb, but as much as I want. Like more cream than I am eating currently, a nice steak, lots of nuts. Does that sound like the right level of indulgence? What do others do? I would like a piece of baklava, though. But one piece might knock me for a loop, bringing on all sorts of cravings.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I have a weakness for nuts, so that sounds tempting to me.
I won't do it this year, but it does sound good. If I am at a party I might indulge in a small handful.
How many do you mean by lots? If you are going to indulge they would definitely be a better treat than lots of fudge, for sure.
Steak sounds really fine to me.
A little extra cream sounds ok too, maybe some whipped cream.
Baklava . . . I am wondering if one piece would really be satisfying/worth it?
Not saying what you should do, of course.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
This early in your weight loss, I wouldn't plan ahead to overindulge--just make sure you have enough on-plan foods to enjoy at the holiday dinners. Thankgiving and Christmas are pretty easy; turkey and veggie side dishes and salad. Make a LC dessert if you really want something like that, but don't use holidays as a reason to feel like you get to have lots of extras. I think providing too many "special" options and choices can just cause overeating, even if it's low-carb food.

I'll bet you felt proud of yourself for avoiding all the Halloween candy--you can do that same thing for Thanksgiving and Christmas foods too. Then when January comes, you'll have lost more weight and have something to feel extra good about.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I am making JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes and A-1 Best Cheesecake - LowCarbFriends Recipes as my desserts for Thanksgiving. I already told my family that no pumpkin rolls will be made by me this year. I don't have strong enough will power yet.

Found this recipe for a low carb bread. Going to use it for stuffing this year at thanksgiving!!!

2 1/2 cups almond meal
1/3 cup powdered egg whites (these are optional, but create a dryer bread which is less likely to get soggy. If you don't use the powdered, add an extra egg and use 1/3 cup water instead of 1/2 cup)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning, such as Bell's Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
sugar substitute equal to 2-3 teaspoons sugar
Preparation:

Heat oven to 350 F.

Butter the bottom of a large loaf pan - if desired, line the bottom with parchment paper and butter or oil that as well.

1) Mix dry ingredient together (a whisk works well).

2) Add wet ingredients and mix well.

3) Pour into loaf pan.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until top is lightly browned (if you insert a toothpick into the loaf and it comes out clean, you can remove it from the oven.)

When cool enough to handle, remove from pan and break into large chunks. Let cool. At this point, I like to leave it out to dry for a few hours, or put it in a low oven. You can cut it into cubes first, if you'd like, or after it dries out a bit.

Definitely making my stuffing with that. Roasted turkey and ham sound delicious

Appetizers: The Galley Gourmet: Shrimp and Spanish Chorizo Bites and Low Carb Jalapeno Poppers - LowCarbFriends Recipes some deviled eggs too.

I plan on making my own Cranberry sauce, just using splenda instead of sugar. I will add a little bit of sugar free raspberry preserves to it. Yum!

Mashed cauliflower, roasted asparagus as veggies. (I might make mac n cheese with dreamfields)

It helps that I will be cooking Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner this year. I have told everyone what is on the menu, and if they want something else, they can bring it themselves.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Christmas...I might just do a surf and turf dinner
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Jody, I would find some recipes for low carb treats. Jody's pumpkin bake sounds great, I haven't tried it yet but I will. I think if you can maintain during the holidays you're doing good. You've all ready made it through one! If you have treats you can eat it might make it easier to turn down other things, without feeling deprived...

Greengeeny, wow, you got a lot on your plate! Good for you for taking control, but, man that's a lot of work! Hat's off to you!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: domesticbliss
Stats: 221/184/a fit 160 @ 5'7''
WOE: Atkins/Calorie Counting
Start Date: January 2012; Recommit Everyday
I am worried about this too, so what I'm planning on doing is eating on plan for breakfast, protein & vegetables for dinner (like usual) and I'm going to bring a LC friendly dessert, like pumpkin pound cake, or Peanut Butter Almond Flour cookies, and eat those first, to try to quell the cravings I know I'll have around the pies.
This way I'll still get to have a sweet treat, but it's not as off plan as eating stuff with sugar in it.

Christmas will be difficult, we'll be out of town for 2 weeks with family, I don't know how that is going to work out I am crossing my fingers!
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
My mother is visiting in november but leaving before thanksgiving, so I can't figure out whether we will do a big meal while she's here or wait till t'giving, or maybe do both. Gah! But, on the menu will be:

-- homemade cranberry sauce made w AS
-- pork butt roast (dh is allergic to all poultry)
-- either broc or caul au gratin
-- either salad or some kind of greens sauteed in garlic/olive oil
-- jody's pumpkin bake (thanks for that link!) and/or paleo b'fast bread from elanaspantry.com (this is super yummy, but I gotta warn you that it is really only two servings and is so good that if dh didn't do me the favor of eating the other half first, I would probably have eaten it all) possibly w mascarpone frosting

As for xmas, I'm gonna try not to think about it until we're much closer. I find that the more I obsess about these questions (which I am prone to do), the worse things turn out. I may very well take a day off low carb, though.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 233/229/180 5'11.5''
Start Date: Restart 23/8/14
Indulging in more on plan food than you would usually eat sounds like a good strategy to me. When I ate off plan in the past I ended up eating that way for months
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I think it may be helpful to remember that the happiness associated with these holidays mainly arises from spending time with loved ones and friends. Yes, there are special foods but at bottom food is not the true focus. It may just provide the opportunity of sitting down and sharing joy with those we love. I suggest that we all really just want to enjoy the company of our loved ones most of all. If we can remember that, food will remain on the periphery of the experience and not be the main focus.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
I think it may be helpful to remember that the happiness associated with these holidays mainly arises from spending time with loved ones and friends. Yes, there are special foods but at bottom food is not the true focus. It may just provide the opportunity of sitting down and sharing joy with those we love. I suggest that we all really just want to enjoy the company of our loved ones most of all. If we can remember that, food will remain on the periphery of the experience and not be the main focus.
Just realized this may have sounded snottily know-it-all which I regret...it wasn't my intent. It's just that after years and years of living through holidays and parties surrounded by foods I couldn't eat due to medical issues I've learned that it's not the food that matters. In fact, the food isn't really at all important. What has been meaningful and enjoyable has been sharing laughter and happiness with people who mean a lot to me. May we all share happiness and joy during the upcoming hols.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Lola, it did not sound snotty or know-it-all at all to me. You were making perfect sense!

I do think sometimes it's hard to make clear to others that happiness during holidays or social gatherings is not determined by food, but by togetherness!

I try to make clear that the way I eat is MY personal choice, and I am perfectly happy eating what I feel I should eat and leave what I cannot and will not eat for others to enjoy. Mostly people react positively though!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jody1958
Didn't sound snotty

Quote:
Just realized this may have sounded snottily know-it-all which I regret...it wasn't my intent. It's just that after years and years of living through holidays and parties surrounded by foods I couldn't eat due to medical issues I've learned that it's not the food that matters. In fact, the food isn't really at all important. What has been meaningful and enjoyable has been sharing laughter and happiness with people who mean a lot to me. May we all share happiness and joy during the upcoming hols.
No, it's good advice. I have also been thinking about my SIL who has celiac disease. She certainly doesn't go off plan for holidays. She has not tasted gluten (unless something sneaked in) in about 10 years. I have been wondering if I should just figure on eating low carb like she eats gluten free- all the time.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
Start Date: 7/5/2013
I don't celebrate Christmas, but its my only planned "cheat".
It's not a proper cheat as I'll still be eating clean, but just with more high gi carbs, which is what my plan is when I've reached goal. (Which hopefully I won't be far off by then)
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #16
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I totally agree with you, Lola! One thing I learned from my years in weight-loss mode is that our culture over-emphasizes food, especially at holidays and that focusing on being with family and friends is actually MORE rewarding! [Our cultural emphasis on overeating is supported by American advertising that is already trying to convince me that I need pies and fudge to really enjoy my holidays!]

In maintenance, I continue to eat low carb and rather than make any special 'treats' for myself, I simply focus on the 'basics' at holiday meals--the protein and vegetables--and ignore everything else. I don't feel the least 'deprived' because this is my choice, and I'm being good to my body by ignoring all those grains and sugars.

And I actually enjoy my holidays even more than in the 'olden days' when I stuffed myself with carby treats simply because it seemed to be the thing to do on holidays.

Do I allow myself an occasional off-plan 'treat'? I do--but I first conduct a 'cost/benefit' analysis to determine whether it's worth it, and 95% of the time, I decide that the cost is too high, so I decline rather than indulge.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
I think you said this really well.

I make sure there is low carb cranberry sauce to go with my turkey and I am happy.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
X2
good post.

I am lucky that the holidays are about family now vs. the gluttony of food.
Mom is 86 and Dad is 85 in great health. We visit and have a blast, eat some good foods (I stay as LC as I can but this year is lasagna and crispy bread for Xmas) and I will indulge and have fun. Just one day of eating pasta (which I haven't had in years now) and some bread. Eh, I can handle it Mom will make a small pie and we have stopped buying all the chocolates and junk that goes with holidays. Our lives have changed into that place where it is not all about the junk at the holidays, but the fun times and family.

It isn't about the food for me anymore when it comes to certain times. Vacation, now that is hard one for me. I love to just go wild on vacations and love freedom not to think about what goes in my mouth. Working on that one!!!!!

but load yourself up with LC options. eat as much lc stuff before ya jump ship
Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody1958 View Post
I started low carb this time on 10/3/13. I have lost from 172 to 162. I have only cheated maybe 3 times and each time was only a small bite. I didn't eat any candy at Halloween. I don't want to lose control. What I am thinking now is that I am going to allow myself 4 days (thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, and one family day to eat low carb, but as much as I want. Like more cream than I am eating currently, a nice steak, lots of nuts. Does that sound like the right level of indulgence? What do others do? I would like a piece of baklava, though. But one piece might knock me for a loop, bringing on all sorts of cravings.
*Know* your limits and stay within them. Don't use events/holidays for excuses to step over those limits. It's a fast ride to the bottom.

Upping your calories but still watching your carbs *for a day* shouldn't set you back at all. Eating that baklava...even one piece...yeah, I'd avoid it.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I grew up in a family where the entertainment at gatherings was *food*. It came out when everyone arrived and it didn't get put away until they left. It was just replenished through the day/evening.

My husband's family is the opposite. They'll still sit around the dining room table or in the kitchen for hours, but not with food. Food comes out for the meal and goes away at the end of the meal. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, there's a side table with the few desserts so people can have it when they're ready for it, but generally people will take one piece of pie and not go back for more helpings.

This is the mentality I've cultivated for the last 10 months. Food is for eating...not entertainment or comfort or socializing with.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cudabear
Stats: 168/146/140 - 5'4
WOE: 4:3 - Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: Sept 2013
I ended up giving in to temptation and cheated for Canadian Thanksgiving. It was an amazing meal (and wine) which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was able to get right back on track the following day but It cost me 4lbs and a week of weight loss trying to get it off again. I still haven’t decided if it was worth it or not.
Cudabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Holidays are going to be really hard this year as my mom passed away in July. My sister and I are planning a traditional thanksgiving for her family, mine and our dad. I don't think I will fall off plan, but in the emotional state we are all in around here. Ya never know. If it happens I'm going to try to be really forgiving of myself and just keep on keeping on the best way I know how.
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
This might sound strange, but I really like spending the holidays alone. I might be with my boyfriend this year, though. If I am in my goal-range of 130-135, I will indulge a bit, otherwise it's easy to stay on plan with all the great meats and vegetables. I might make some low carb treats if I feel like it, too. I actually originally started low carb a week before Thanksgiving, and didn't find it difficult to stay on plan during the holidays.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I think know your limits is good advice. You will learn about yourself over time. You get so many answers because we are all different.

I learned a really hard lesson recently. I went on a full seven-day vacation and eating whatever I wanted for seven days really put me in a place that was a real battle to get back in control.

I have learned that my limit is TWO DAYS. I have been the type where I can eat two or maybe three meals off plan over a weekend and get right back on. I have even lost weight the week after Thanksgiving, meaning eating what I want, but then going right back to it. The two or three meals need to be what a person of normal appetite would eat on a regular day (not what I would want to eat when out of control).

Some people find that first bite of the wrong food sets off a binge. I have read that 3% of the population has this problem. It is real.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aquarius
Stats: 190/135/125
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: 3/3/2012
I approach the holidays the same way I approach this WOE every day. I revel in what is on plan and ignore the rest. I like to eat and I will indulge in low carb treats over the holidays. I understand and appreciate the concept that for many the holidays are about enjoying the company of those you care about. However, for some of us it is a social obligation we would just as soon avoid - and I find that the extra low carb food I may eat to inject some enjoyment into it does not affect my weight or well-being enough to stress over.

I would avoid the baklava, though. You aren't going back to it, so why even date it?

ETA:
Quote:
I don't think I will fall off plan, but in the emotional state we are all in around here. Ya never know. If it happens I'm going to try to be really forgiving of myself and just keep on keeping on the best way I know how.
Susan, I am sorry about your mother. I just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree with your approach.

Last edited by Aquarius; 11-06-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Some people find that first bite of the wrong food sets off a binge. I have read that 3% of the population has this problem. It is real.
Ya know...I'm getting sick and tired of being in that "3% of the population" that has the problem, the side effect or can't use something.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
Start Date: 7/5/2013
y'all need this:

Shire hits new peak as ADHD drug succeeds in treating binge eating disorder | Business | theguardian.com

drug that can contain binge-eating...
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Different things work for different people. And for different nutrition plans. I think this is also a good time to reflect on whether one's LC nutrition plan is a diet or a lifestyle?

I've been on nutrition plans (not LC) in the past that allowed for free days or free meals. They worked great for me on holidays. I had no problem jumping right back on plan. Many people on plans like this never made it back on plan though. It happens very year.

When following LC nutrition plans in the past I have always (yes, always) stayed 100% on plan through the holidays. It is easy; you just decide & plan. Eating traditional holiday foods that are high sugar/high starch when you've been eating LC is more than a one meal disruption. If you are going to indulge have a solid plan & stick to it 100%.

I follow my own plan now and I will be doing the same thing this year as I did last year when the holidays rolled around. I'll be eating the foods I consider healthy and I'll eat them in healthy amounts. Same as I do every day. No sugar, no grains, no junk, no over-eating even if it is healthy food. I've learned too much about those foods to want to put them in my body. If I want a treat I can make a healthy one. I know the healthy foods I eat will fill me up so there won't be any problems with over-indulging.

I love the foods I eat & I am not interested in eating the holiday carbage. I remember how I felt & looked on a diet of those things.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 11-06-2013 at 06:17 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
They already have eggnog at the store. Eggnog makes me weak in the knees. It is god's sweet sweet nectar of pure undying love. I need a cold shower now.
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #30
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerAnn View Post
They already have eggnog at the store. Eggnog makes me weak in the knees. It is god's sweet sweet nectar of pure undying love. I need a cold shower now.

You can make your own.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote