Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   QUESTION ON LOW CARB (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816621-question-low-carb.html)

rg86gg 11-05-2013 01:06 PM

QUESTION ON LOW CARB

I'm about 5'4" and on low carb. Weight about 145. Would like to lose a few more pounds and I eat way too much meat expecially at dinner. What would be considered a normal serving of protein (meat ) at any meal. Say in ounces. I have a hard time figuring out how much I should eat as it really takes a lot to fill me till its too late and I'm stuffed. Thanks

carrielyn 11-05-2013 01:57 PM

How much meat are you eating at one sitting?

LolaGetz 11-05-2013 02:24 PM

I have been trying to reduce the amount of protein I eat but I don't have any well informed advice about amounts. I do know, however, that they say it takes about 20 minutes for the satiety signals to reach your brain and register. You might try eating somewhat less meat and then stopping even if you think you are not yet full. If after waiting 20 minutes you still feel hungry, you can then eat more.

LolaGetz 11-05-2013 02:37 PM

My other suggestion would be to make sure you eat slowly, thus giving your brain more time to register that you've eaten enough.

Just Russ 11-05-2013 03:11 PM

I would say no one can give you a set number. Now I do count or weigh my meats. Breakfast is 3 links of sausage, 2 eggs
Lunch is 1/4 pound of meat... it could be a bacon cheese burger with no bun
Dinner weight is 8-9 oz of meat. I find I need the higher with leaner meats like chicken, the lower with pork. But it's a guide.

It is NOT eat all the fatty foods you want. Go back & read the book. Now the Atkins rule is eat only enough to not be hungry before your next meal. You should be getting hungry as meal time approaches. If you are hungry, eat but do so only off the list. About sometimes I have to challenge myself... try one less egg or sausage link. Or less tuna salad on lettuce at lunch. The fat is important... you must have some fat in your diet. Some will be meat fat... some can be "healthy fats" like extra virgin olive oil. But the diet won't work without it.

You may be fine. It can seem like "a lot". Are you losing? I use a simple kitchen scale because I'm a bad judge... It's zeros to include a small bowl.

peanutte 11-05-2013 04:24 PM

I've seen a recommendation of 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body weight--the lower end if you are not active; the upper end if you exercise a lot. It gives you a general idea of what you might aim for.

145 pounds is 65.9 kg, so let's say 66, so you might shoot for 65-82-ish grams if you exercise moderately but not extremely strenuously.

Like I said though--this is just a guideline I've seen.

clackley 11-05-2013 04:32 PM

Average amount is about 4 oz..

peanutte 11-05-2013 04:40 PM

I should have made it clear I was talking about for the whole day, not per meal. Sorry about that.
Quote:

My other suggestion would be to make sure you eat slowly, thus giving your brain more time to register that you've eaten enough.
I agree with this, especially since the OP says she finds herself unsure about how much is enough until the point where suddenly she is overfull.

Jenn11 11-05-2013 05:52 PM

Minimum protein requirements would be 3-4 ounces of meats or 2 eggs + 2 egg whites per meal, 3 meals a day, you can eat more protein than that but only eat to satisfaction. Don't go eating a steak every 2 hours because you probably won't lose weight and will get sick of meat quickly :D . Snack only when you are hungry & half the protein amount of a regular meal up to twice a day.

Fat amount will depend on what diet you follow.

snowangel9 11-05-2013 06:04 PM

I like what Flagman said, that seems reasonable. Everybody is different. The grams per body weight is just a guide like peanutte said. Try slowing down when you eat and maybe adding healthier fats. Coconut, avocado, olives, butter things like that. That should help you feel fuller longer too.

My youngest daughter struggles with what it feels like to feel full. She has to be really conscious of her what her body is trying to tell her...

Aomiel 11-06-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutte (Post 16672307)
I've seen a recommendation of 1-1.5 grams of protein per kg of body weight--the lower end if you are not active; the upper end if you exercise a lot. It gives you a general idea of what you might aim for.

145 pounds is 65.9 kg, so let's say 66, so you might shoot for 65-82-ish grams if you exercise moderately but not extremely strenuously.

Like I said though--this is just a guideline I've seen.

:goodpost:

This is what I follow (at the 1gm per kilo) and I'm eating around 63gm which usually translates to 2 eggs and about 2 strips of bacon for breakfast and 4 oz of protein at lunch and again at dinner. Plus there are protein grams in other stuff, so it kind of adds up.

winefairy 11-06-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16672321)
Average amount is about 4 oz..

This is what I typically stick with per meal

Mimosa23 11-06-2013 07:34 AM

I'm tall and a lot heavier than you and I go by 1.2 to 1.5 times my goal weight in kilos what I consume in a day in protein. It works out to be 4 eggs, 2 oz chicken, 4 oz cheese and about 4 oz of pork or beef a day, and then some other possible protein containing items that I then have room for. It really is plenty when you add enough fat to keep you satisfied.