Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I just don't get it. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816563-i-just-dont-get.html)

Z-Baby 11-04-2013 05:01 PM

I just don't get it.
 
Today, I ate like crap.

I woke up with the best of intentions. I had a cup of coffee with heavy cream and 2 scrambled eggs with salsa.

Then I proceeded to eat my husbands chips and salsa and guac. Then I went to DQ and got a BLIZZARD. I haven't had one in months maybe even a year. Then I came home and ate a package of my sons goldfish.

The thing is I didn't enjoy a single bite. Nothing really tasted that good. I wasn't satisfied. Yet I still continued to eat crap. I just don't get it. Why do I do this to myself? :confused:

cherrytt_too 11-04-2013 05:42 PM

Right there with you...I won't even be hungry...want NOTHING, yet still stuff my face with JUNK and keep eating JUNK that I don't really want because I'm craving something I just can't put my finger on.

It took me 3 days to ease into a fully clean day. Now I'm easing from clean with lc wraps and breads to clean clean. Today I ate my last chicken salad wrap with dried cranberries.

Tonight I'm making home made sf cranberry sauce and picking up leaf lettuce to wrap it in.

1 day at a time. And if 1 day is too long, break it down to 1 minute at a time. That's what I have to do.

rose1 11-04-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-Baby (Post 16670911)
Today, I ate like crap.

I woke up with the best of intentions. I had a cup of coffee with heavy cream and 2 scrambled eggs with salsa.

Then I proceeded to eat my husbands chips and salsa and guac. Then I went to DQ and got a BLIZZARD. I haven't had one in months maybe even a year. Then I came home and ate a package of my sons goldfish.

The thing is I didn't enjoy a single bite. Nothing really tasted that good. I wasn't satisfied. Yet I still continued to eat crap. I just don't get it. Why do I do this to myself? :confused:

I think a big part of not being satisfied is on some primal level, your body is looking for some nutrition and junky crap isn't providing it.

llisarray 11-04-2013 06:41 PM

I did the same thing Saturday .... Makes me very angry at myself

snowangel9 11-04-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rose1 (Post 16670960)
I think a big part of not being satisfied is on some primal level, your body is looking for some nutrition and junky crap isn't providing it.


I agree with this. Maybe try and figure out what it is you're really craving? If it's just too much, do what Cherry did and one meal, one day at a time...

shirlc 11-04-2013 07:53 PM

Really identify with you on this...I've had a few days like this lately. I start eating crap and it's like I just can't stop. And I don't enjoy what I'm eating when I do that. When I eat on plan, everything tastes so good!!!

paid4c4 11-04-2013 08:15 PM

Been there and done that. Just get back on program tomorrow.
Bill

rubidoux 11-04-2013 08:39 PM

Ugh. Me, too. :( I am having a hard time putting even two or three low carb days together in a row lately. About a week ago I was still feeling great and *thin* (for me). I was at least managing to outweigh the bad w the good, but boy has the tide turned! The last two days I have just felt HUGE and I'm 8 pounds up. :( I know half of it is water, but still, it's gonna hurt to get it off again.

Skinny Train 11-04-2013 09:36 PM

It's no secret that wheat is a bad thing. I recently discovered that dairy was giving me problems as well. I cut it on a whim for the first time in 40 years. I am not having cravings and constant urges to eat. Cutting wheat had helped. Cutting dairy put the nail in the coffin. And I had honestly been practically wed to my daily dose of cheese and cream in my coffee. I had no idea it was a problem. I recently started running again, and can breathe so freely. Like never, ever before. The breathing is a plus, the absence of cravings is monumental. fwiw

Trigger828 11-05-2013 03:43 AM

I think most of us has done this :)


for me it is time. time on plan. if you can get blocks of good lc time under your belt, eventually this can be controlled more and more.

even if searching for that 'some taste' I want, now I eat a ton of lc things before diving into junk carbs and going off plan.

Worst for me is when I said "I ate those 6 cookies, eh, blew the day might as well go hog wild and eat every bit of junk in sight!!' Now if I eat something I know is not a good lc choice and full of sugar, I just stop it immediately. No more allowing the mentality of 'I blew it anyway....' A lapse is a lapse but to allow it to go into overdrive was wrong for me.

I am a popcorn hound. If I think I have to jump ship and snack away, I make popcorn. it actually doesn't hurt me too much and I get lots of snacking time (elbow to mouth :)) and when done it is usually enough to make me happy. But I don't do this often.

Time changed my eating habits finally. over a year on plan and it is sinking in that changes are being cemented into me and I just can't eat like I used to and don't want to.

Hang in there. I know people say it takes XX time to make true changes and stick with them like they are automatic, for me it was alot longer. about 8-9 months on plan at least before I realized LC was becoming a natural choice vs. grabbing other junk.

Punkin 11-05-2013 05:00 AM

As long as you recognize that bingeing or going off plan is physiological and not psychological you will be fine. I stay away from real sugar for example because it triggers a binge, however splenda is fine. There also seems to be an issue for me when there is a certain ratio of sugar to fat. It also triggers bingeing. A lot of prepared foods have this correct ratio. It is called the "bliss point" It is the perfect blend of sugar and fat which makes you eat more and want more of it. That is how the food industry makes money. The best way to get around it is to try to come up with substitutions that fit the low carb way of life. Blizzards can be made at home with splenda and low carb, high fat ingredients. Goldfish crackers? Maybe not, but they have cheese like products in them, so maybe something with cheddar cheese would suffice. I do a lot of gluten free baking with low carb flours which helps. Salsa and quacomole will fit a low carb plan, if you can make your own snacking chips with a low carb flour. I use oat fiber to reduce the carb content of flours. At restaurants I have even ordered romaine lettuce spears instead of chips for dipping in cheese dips. It works.

susan41 11-05-2013 09:12 AM

How prepared have you been food choice wise in your house? I find that if I don't have enough of my own low carb choices I start looking at crapola to eat. I'm a grazer and it can be a real challenge if I open the fridge and there's only eggs. It's not that I don't have higher carb items in the house for the fiancÚ, because I do. But I have to keep on hand more than just basic groceries. Example: I have eggs, sausage patties bacon and ham for my morning protein choices in my fridge right now, I have 7 choices of cheese in my fridge right now, white cheddar, reg cheddar, American slices, smoked Gouda, cream cheese, baby bel, and string mozz. I have 4 diff lettuce, iceberg, romaine, green leaf, and cabbage,
Leftovers rt now are a pork chop, chicken salad, deviled eggs.

And this is just my fridge. My freezer is a whole other deal, I've frozen breakfast quiche, frozen portions of LC pizza, frozen portions of pulled pork, and so on.. I HAVE to have a choice and it be changeable for me at any given time or I will go off plan.

Maybe that's not economically viable for you, but I thought I would mention it.

Also, as easy as LC can be, you have to say no to yourself sometimes just because. White knuckling past dq is hard yep. But not impossible. You'll be inwardly really proud of yourself when you do.

Just Russ 11-05-2013 09:34 AM

The first BITE of carbs & I'm done. The cravings take over & I'm off to the races. I struggle with will power. I know there are emotional aspects to my eating... unfortunately it's not going to change. I live in a 'don't touch me' house.

Barbie83 11-09-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger828 (Post 16671250)
I think most of us has done this :)


for me it is time. time on plan. if you can get blocks of good lc time under your belt, eventually this can be controlled more and more.

even if searching for that 'some taste' I want, now I eat a ton of lc things before diving into junk carbs and going off plan.

Worst for me is when I said "I ate those 6 cookies, eh, blew the day might as well go hog wild and eat every bit of junk in sight!!' Now if I eat something I know is not a good lc choice and full of sugar, I just stop it immediately. No more allowing the mentality of 'I blew it anyway....' A lapse is a lapse but to allow it to go into overdrive was wrong for me.

I am a popcorn hound. If I think I have to jump ship and snack away, I make popcorn. it actually doesn't hurt me too much and I get lots of snacking time (elbow to mouth :)) and when done it is usually enough to make me happy. But I don't do this often.

Time changed my eating habits finally. over a year on plan and it is sinking in that changes are being cemented into me and I just can't eat like I used to and don't want to.

Hang in there. I know people say it takes XX time to make true changes and stick with them like they are automatic, for me it was alot longer. about 8-9 months on plan at least before I realized LC was becoming a natural choice vs. grabbing other junk.

this is me all the way. I have a minor slip up and think "well...i might as well...." and blow the entire day. Then one day turns into a weekend...then a week.....!:dunno:

im such a perfectionist and it ends of sabotaging me. I have to constantly remind myself that slip ups will happen and as long as i get RIGHT BACK on track, the damage will be negligible.

becky123abc 11-10-2013 05:14 AM

Where I am in my cycle affects my cravings...whether it's TOM or ovulation...hormonal stuff...can sure make eating right a challenge. But if I can make it through those times eating clean, it usually pays off in a good way!

Trigger828 11-10-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie83 (Post 16677557)
im such a perfectionist and it ends of sabotaging me.

YUP! I think this way also!!

If the eating isn't ''perfect'' thru the day then it is over and I can blow it big time, cause if I slipped, then why bother trying to save that day?? It is a bad way of thinking, one I really had to overcome also.

lowcarbella 11-10-2013 06:35 AM

This has happened many times to me,esp recently.It does have to do with my cycles.L-glutamine and Optivite for PMS really helped but I forget to take them and I find myself in this mess.I also find this happens when I am stressed and fatigued.
I am looking for something,a flavor,a nutrient,but can't really figure what it is.
So end up eating crap and still not satisfied and already spoiled my plan and now comes the guilt.It is very phsysiological.
After taking the right supplements and having an LC alternative ready on hand,I have it somewhat under control.

buttonwillow 11-10-2013 07:52 PM

Here's something that might work in the right situation: "accidentally" drop what someone offers you, kick it around bit with your shoe and say, "Oops, sorry!" Me, I'd think twice about continuing to offer treats to someone who keeps "accidentally" dropping them. And there's no need to feel bad about the waste. Dirty food, like toxic food, belongs in the trash, not on your hips.

Then there's the old favorite: "My doctor says I can't eat that." And it's true, Dr. Atkins did say that.

LoriWants2Lose 11-12-2013 12:51 AM

Buttonwillow, I like the way you think. :hyst:

pulchritudinous_j 11-12-2013 06:16 PM

I think many of us identify with the vicious cycle of carb binging... It IS incredibly frustrating, isn't it?
Plan your meals, keep legal snacks readily available, and remind yourself WHY you want to live by this WOE. You can do it!

iakaren 11-12-2013 07:29 PM

feeling like you guys are writing my story......

sheened 11-14-2013 04:29 PM

Same here but i force myself on that scale and start again. My husband calls it "mouth hunger", you may be looking for nutrients? I go through patches the thought of controlling my food choices makes me anxious and try to cram in as much as i can get of everything not on the plan. once on plan i normally dont miss anything but the thought of restriction can drive me to go looking for carbs. I ate an entire tub of hagen daaz chocolate fondant the night before i restarted, scary. So i sat down and did a weeks meal plan, everything i need is in my kitchen, i find it helps me to stay on track.

Don't worry, i think most if us stop and start, its ok, but relax about it, you can eat anything you want but maybe a gentle reminder to yourself that you are doing this for a reason and this way of eating is going to help you. But seriously its ok, dont feel bad about it, its in the past, you cant change the past doesn't matter how much you think about the whys wherefores, understand it and then let go, deep breath and start again, it doesn't matter how many times you start just keep plugging away. It took me a year to lose two stone calorie counting because i kept screwing up, but if i hadn't just dusted myself off and got on with it i'd be two stone heavier. So chill decide what you are going to eat for the rest of the week, make sure you have access to it relax x


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 PM.