Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   What LC books do YOU recommend? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816503-what-lc-books-do-you-recommend.html)

Mimosa23 11-04-2013 04:38 AM

What LC books do YOU recommend?

I am always increasing my LC library, and so far own quite a few books in quite a few languages on the topic.

I love reading about my WOE, and it also reinforces my belief that I am eating the way we are meant to eat.

So, I finally got my hands on an Atkins '72 book!!!! :jumpjoy:

Should be there tomorrow.... :clap:

The one I really like and recommend at the moment is the Diet Doctor book. I have it in German, not sure if it's available in English. It's called Koestliche Revolution by Andreas Eenfeldt.

susan41 11-04-2013 08:00 AM

I'm looking fwd to this thread because there are a lot of books I'd like to hear reviews on and get some suggestions. I have only 2 LC books that I own, dandr and good calories bad calories which was a difficult read for me and it's lent out. So many books I see and want to get but can't decided what.

Mimosa23 11-04-2013 08:11 AM

I really liked good calories, bad calories, but found it very scientific. I much preferred the follow on by Gary Taubes called 'why we get fat and what to do about it'. It is explained a little clearer.

I also really like the book 'the art and science of low carb living' by drs. Phinney and Volek. Enough science, but also clear enough to understand everything. Certainly a lightbulb book for me...

CatieTN 11-04-2013 08:16 AM

Not really a "low carb" book, but I really liked "The End of Overeating"

GailyGail 11-04-2013 08:28 AM

I am a big fan of low carb cookbooks. "The Low Carb Gourmet" by Karen Barnaby is outstanding and any cookbooks by George Stella and Dana Carpenter are also great. I find new recipes keep our meals varied and interesting, which helps us stay on plan.

For me, the "bible" will always be the original book by Dr. Atkins!

snowangel9 11-04-2013 11:58 AM

Wow, where to start! LOL. The most recent one is by Michael Moss Salt Sugar Fat that one was really good. Michael Pollen's In Defense of Food his new one was pretty good too, Cooked. I don't agree with everything he says but, still a lot of good information.

Dr. Lustig's Fat Chance was eye opening and explained the leptin thing pretty well. Those are the ones off the top of my head. I can't remember the title but there's one by Dr. Lundell about inflammation that was really good too. He was a cardiologist too.

I love to read about this stuff too, in case you couldn't tell. Gail, don't get me started on the cook books! It's like an addiction! :D

trishthedish 11-04-2013 01:27 PM

I am a DANDR girl. It changed my life the first time I read it and in all these years has never steered me wrong.

cherrytt_too 11-04-2013 02:45 PM

Another Dana Carpenter fan here.

NineOhNine 11-04-2013 02:55 PM

Life Without Bread, by Allan and Lutz.

Skinny Train 11-04-2013 08:40 PM

Protein Power

clackley 11-05-2013 05:51 AM

If I am to pick a book to recommend to someone who doesn't know much about low carb and the how and whys, it would be Gary Taubes WHY WE GET FAT.

If it is for specific knowledge on ketogenic diet, it would be Phinney and Volek's THE ART AND SCIENCE OF LOW CARBOHYDRATE LIVING.

Other great books are Good Calories/Bad Calories, Wheat Belly, Live Without Bread, Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution and Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. I know there are more but those are the ones that come to mind.

Mimosa23 11-05-2013 06:07 AM

I just got three low carb books written in German by German dr's... Looks like LC is finally gaining some speed here! I'm excited to start reading them!

I also found Grain Brain from David Perlmutter a great read!

Demonica 11-05-2013 07:12 AM

Wheat Belly, DANDR, and I also have the Dr. Atkins original 1972 book

BringOnTheLard 11-05-2013 07:26 AM

I read an Atkins book in the early 90s, it was confusing though and I eventually gave up. He made it sound like the induction phase should be as short as possible which made me feel like the diet wasn't healthy so I went nuts trying to adjust carbs which derailed me. Then I read Good Calories, Bad Calories about 10 years ago. Then Why We Get Fat. I don't think though there is a better diet book than the internet. That's where I've now spent about 4000 hours reading studies and watching lectures on YouTube. :)

Edit: I also have noticed that many low carb studies have used that method of upping carbs to maintenance levels after induction, while the other diets stayed the same, thus showing less loss for low carb than it should have. It's obvious that they also had trouble understanding Atkins methods.....or they were purposely sabotaging the Atkins diet.

I do really like Dr. Eric Westman and I think he wrote the new Atkins book. I'd like to read that one sometime.

Barbie83 11-09-2013 09:17 PM

I just bought Atkins New Diet Revolution from Goodwill for 2 bucks today...it has a ton of meal plans at different carb levels and recipes...even if i only read it occasionally, its very inspiring :)

Liz1959 11-09-2013 10:48 PM

Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

lowcarbella 11-10-2013 05:27 AM

These are on my to-read list:
Keto Clarity
Cholestrol clarity-Jimmy Moore
All Maria Emmerich books(cookbooks)
Paleo and Primal books
Eat Fat get thin
Keto cookbook
LCHF cookbook(?) by Skaldeman
Atkins for Life
Rose Elliot Cookbooks
The Low-Carb Restaurant: Eat Well at America's Favorite Restaurants and Stay on Your Diet

Dottie 11-10-2013 05:34 AM

Thank you lowcarbella:)
I just ordered "The Low-Carb Restaurant: Eat Well at America's Favorite Restaurants and Stay on Your Diet" on my kindle. Never heard of it before :)

GingerAnn 11-10-2013 07:21 AM

The art and science of low carb living was very good

cfine 11-10-2013 07:34 AM

In addition to all of the other great book( I have many of the books mentioned) a new one for me recently is Trick and Treat.

DiamondDeb 11-10-2013 02:29 PM

Lots of good suggestions here! I think all of mine are already listed. I'm glad to see some I have not read yet, too. And one I have sitting waiting to be read next!

I strongly believe it is important to understand, at least in part, why eating this way is healthy and how it works. I know that the science has been key in my making unshakable lifestyle changes rather than doing temporary dieting to lose weight.

Mimosa23 11-11-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16678271)
I strongly believe it is important to understand, at least in part, why eating this way is healthy and how it works. I know that the science has been key in my making unshakable lifestyle changes rather than doing temporary dieting to lose weight.

:goodpost: I have also come to this realisation. This is why I am now reading so much on the topic of LC and such. I really feel that by understanding I will make this a life change and not just another diet I'm not going to stick to. I think by just following rules and not really understanding the underlying science I failed more than I succeeded in my LC journey. Only now I feel slowly more and more confident that I am doing what is necessary for my health and wellbeing and it's helping me stick with my WOE.

Sunny7 11-11-2013 07:01 AM

I am going to Barnes and Noble tomorrow and I am going to look for the new book Grain Brain, I saw the author on the news the other day, I have read" why we get fat" and
Dana Carpenter books, and of course Atkins and the Drs. Eades

dawnyama 11-11-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NineOhNine (Post 16670822)
Life Without Bread, by Allan and Lutz.

Love this one :love: I checked it out from my library on at least 3 separate occasions. Then I realized that I must have it for myself! Got it when my daughter got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

I also ordered Dr Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" for us to learn about type 1.

Irishnonee 11-11-2013 05:12 PM

george stella's books

GME 11-11-2013 07:01 PM

Very early on I read Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and Protein Power. For me, they explained the science behind low carb better than the Atkins books.

I would recommend Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata. It isn't a low carb book, but it is a fascinating description about the politics of weight loss, how difficult it truly is and the misinformation we have been fed (pun intended) and the lack of science behind conventional wisdom.

Galveston Gal 12-10-2013 06:32 PM

:hiya:I think I have just about all of the English books mentioned here!!
As I read through the thread, I would nod and say, "Yup"...each one has galvanized my resolve to continue my chosen food plan.

Early on in my struggle with 'where food belonged in my life', I read a little book by the Hazeldon Foundation: "Listen to the Hunger". It so impressed my thinking that I read it out loud onto cassette tape....I still have those 2 cassettes! The book is out of print, but if you hunt you can find a used copy. I have loaned mine out and had to replace it 3 times. am thankful for used books:o

Then later was able to identify myself in the book "The Pleasers" by Dr. Kevin Leman. ....and in "When I say no, I feel guilty" by M.J. Smith. I kept trying to 'get my head right':laugh:

Geneen Roth has a series of books that also grace my shelves!

I know now that it is in my head...but my head is controlled by my Blood Sugar...and a lot of other distressed metabolism stuff!!!:cool:

But those books helped me to know that I am in charge of my own self...and other people (usually family!) will dump on you if you let them!!! ...and the solution is not in the refrigerator or cookie jar!!!!

I know this is a journey...and I get to enjoy it.
Best of all...Low Carb Friends shows me I am not alone!:love:

THANKS! :heart:

cleochatra 12-10-2013 07:54 PM

I am such a fan of Dr. Atkins, so I don't think you can go wrong, especially with any of his books pre-2010.

Two I seriously recommend to accompany any plan: The Diet Cure by Dr. Julia Ross and the internet! Okay, okay, not a book, but it's just as good as one. There's so much information and so many of my friends are online. I love the web.

Mimosa23 01-23-2014 03:12 AM

I just bought Keto Adapted by Maria Emmerich and so far, I'm really enjoying the book. Lots of great stuff in there!

rotay60 01-23-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16678682)
:goodpost: I have also come to this realisation. This is why I am now reading so much on the topic of LC and such. I really feel that by understanding I will make this a life change and not just another diet I'm not going to stick to. I think by just following rules and not really understanding the underlying science I failed more than I succeeded in my LC journey. Only now I feel slowly more and more confident that I am doing what is necessary for my health and wellbeing and it's helping me stick with my WOE.

I feel the same way. I have so many family members that say...just do it. Well, I am the type that wants to know why I am doing something. I have to "believe" in it. This is one reason that I continue to read books, articles, watch videos/lectures. Don't get me wrong, every now and then I get so confused, or will have a "fat phobia" moment, but if I had not been doing my homework, I would have caved a long time ago.

I really appreciate all the info that you guys provide as well.