Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Brussels Sprouts (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816486-brussels-sprouts.html)

NurseChef 11-03-2013 10:22 PM

Brussels Sprouts

I make my Brussels sprouts with the same recipe my Mom used to do. She passed on over 5 years ago and I guess I was thinking of her. It is so easy and I realized it's low carb. So I nuked the whole bag then cut them in half and cooked them in a pan with butter and olive oil plus garlic. When browned I added 1/4 cup shaved Parm cheese and some rotisserie chicken was the main entree.
Here's where I went wrong, I didn't concern myself with the net carbs. Wow this is a higher than usual net carb veggie. I'm over on my net carbs but it wasn't like I ate a bread product lol but just a warning if you count net carbs be aware these are a little bit higher than other veggies but very nutritious.
I know there is a low carb diet that has a list and you don't count and obsess with numbers. I am considering switching g from
Atkins to that one because it appears easier and I wouldn't face an oops uh oh moment.

Ntombi 11-03-2013 10:25 PM

I eat Brussels sprouts (roasted). I count total carbs and stick to a serving.

NurseChef 11-03-2013 10:35 PM

Well I ate them all and enjoyed them all too lol but I learned my lesson, look at the numbers before you eat a new food!

rubidoux 11-04-2013 01:25 AM

Unless you ate a ton of them, I very much doubt they'll kick you out of ketosis.

Leo41 11-04-2013 02:59 AM

I never eat any new food without checking the numbers. And I don't buy any product without checking before purchase.

To follow a low-carb WOE, it's important to me not to make assumptions but to simply check the numbers in advance. I was surprised when I first discovered the carb content in a simple 'green veg' like brussels sprouts (which I love), but it pays to know in advance and plan accordingly.

Aomiel 11-04-2013 07:21 AM

Ditto...after awhile you get familiar with what foods are ok and how much of them you can have. I *love* brussel sprouts and 88grams (about 1 cup...I always weigh) is only 8gm of carbs which fits perfectly with my 10gm per meal.

I usually get the small ones and leave them whole and then saute them in a bit of bacon grease along with a slice or two of onion just until they caramelize a bit, then pour in about 1/2 cup of chicken broth, slap a lid on and simmer/steam until they're done. With the onions, it still comes in at 10gm or less.

trishthedish 11-04-2013 08:08 AM

I never do the net carb thing.

I eat 1 cup of sprouts (measured raw) per serving with dinner most nights. I roast them (and love them) and have never had an issue with them negatively affecting my weight loss.

cfine 11-04-2013 05:48 PM

I eat brussell sprouts, just not the whole pan:up:

shelby'snana 11-04-2013 06:50 PM

have some frozen ~ need to cook them tomorrow before work ! Thanks !!

Biochic 11-05-2013 05:09 AM

I eat them by the boat load. :dunno: