Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
Advice on switching husband to low carb

My husband is also trying to lose weight. He doesn't follow a particular diet, but has cut out desserts and candy, practices portion control, and walks 2x per day. He has gone from 220 to 210 since June (5'11")
I want to switch him to low carb because 1. I believe it's what really works and he would have more success. 2. It would be great to clear the carby foods out of the cupboards and fridge to make room for my stuff. 3. We could enjoy whole meals together instead of just sharing meat and salad.
So, the question is, should I encourage him to eat my special foods like nuts, coconut milk pudding, mock Danish, avocado, cream cheese muffins I. Hopes of gradually switching him? Or, knowing he will still be eating grains and tubers, should I not encourage him to eat the fatty foods since it is a bad combo, and instead wait til after Xmas and hit him up to low carb with me in the new year?
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,735
Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I think your husband needs to make the decision for himself. Let him eat your low carb stuff if you want, but if he is still eating grains and tubers he is not going to get the benefit of a low carb diet. Plus most of the foods you mentioned are not really "core" LC foods that are central to can LC diet, and many people eat LC without every touching those foods. In general they are "fun foods" that make the diet a bit more interesting. That said, my DH and I both started this WOE just under a year a go and it is much easier that we are both eating LC, and also trying to get DS (age 11) to eat lower carb. So I think you should have the discussion with your husband and see what he thinks. But adding the LC fun foods to an otherwise higher carb diet may or may not have any effect on his desire to eat lower carb.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Just Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 272
Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
As much as I believe in LC, I KNOW with a certainty that LC is not for everyone, at least not as WE have to do it.
Is you husband satisfied at his current weight? He is 20# above the chart recommendation, but does he want to lose it? Without going full restricted LC, he might do as well or better by getting rid of grains & starches... leaving in healthy veggies, preferably LC varieties. He has to pick his plan.
I don't see any harm in sharing LC specialties but eating as much fat & protein without cutting out the carbs is how I gained back my weight.
__________________
"Eat all you need to not be hungry, eat only what you need to not be hungry... eat on plan." Dr Atkins Diet Revolution @1972

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member
 
2BigAgain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beautiful Western Washington
Posts: 42
Gallery: 2BigAgain
Stats: 251/219/150
WOE: LC <25 carbs daily
Start Date: July 8, 2013
My family watched me lose 50+ lbs. a few years ago on a LCHF diet. Unfortunately, as the story often goes, I proceeded to lose my way and gain it all back (long story). When I decided to get back to the WOE, they were not supportive. I heard all the usual arguments (you can't sustain the weight loss, it isn't good for you, your cholesterol will go up, you need carbs, blah, blah, blah). I told my husband and 23 year old son that I did not want to hear any more from them until they read "Good Calories, Bad Calories". They are both very scientific-minded, so they did. That was all it took. My son proceeded to lose 70 lbs, and my husband has lost 35 lbs. We are all on this WOE, and it makes it so much easier for me to do it with hubby eating the same way I do. My son is away at grad school, doing it on his own, but loves to come home for mom's (low carb) home cooking. I could have talked until I was blue in the face but they needed scientific facts. Not sure if it will work for your hubby, but it is worth a try.
2BigAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
Core foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think your husband needs to make the decision for himself. Let him eat your low carb stuff if you want, but if he is still eating grains and tubers he is not going to get the benefit of a low carb diet. Plus most of the foods you mentioned are not really "core" LC foods that are central to can LC diet, and many people eat LC without every touching those foods. In general they are "fun foods" that make the diet a bit more interesting. That said, my DH and I both started this WOE just under a year a go and it is much easier that we are both eating LC, and also trying to get DS (age 11) to eat lower carb. So I think you should have the discussion with your husband and see what he thinks. But adding the LC fun foods to an otherwise higher carb diet may or may not have any effect on his desire to eat lower carb.
Yeah, I guess in our house it is a given that he is eating the same core foods, at least for dinner and sometimes lunch. We cook a meat and either make a salad or steam a vegetable. ( I put olive oil and balsamic vinegar on my salad, he eats bottle dressing)He will add rice, potato, or bread. If I add anything, it would be some avocado or cream cheese muffin. Either one of us usually makes tuna salad or egg salad for lunches: he eats a sandwich (whole wheat) I eat it with a spoon or on green pepper. Or either one of us will make bacon and eggs for a weekend breakfast. So the core foods are already shared. My question is more whether it would do him more harm than good to mix in some of my low carb treats in addition to what we already both eat, and the best strategy to encourage him to think about LC. He does want to lose more, and he is supportive of my eating LC, but for himself, his current thinking is he wants to limit sweets and use portion control.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
Good calories bad calories

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BigAgain View Post
My family watched me lose 50+ lbs. a few years ago on a LCHF diet. Unfortunately, as the story often goes, I proceeded to lose my way and gain it all back (long story). When I decided to get back to the WOE, they were not supportive. I heard all the usual arguments (you can't sustain the weight loss, it isn't good for you, your cholesterol will go up, you need carbs, blah, blah, blah). I told my husband and 23 year old son that I did not want to hear any more from them until they read "Good Calories, Bad Calories". They are both very scientific-minded, so they did. That was all it took. My son proceeded to lose 70 lbs, and my husband has lost 35 lbs. We are all on this WOE, and it makes it so much easier for me to do it with hubby eating the same way I do. My son is away at grad school, doing it on his own, but loves to come home for mom's (low carb) home cooking. I could have talked until I was blue in the face but they needed scientific facts. Not sure if it will work for your hubby, but it is worth a try.
Thanks so much. I am not familiar with this but I was wanting an article to ask him to read. He will do it. I didn't want to ask him to read a whole book on the.*topic because I haven't actually done that, but this sounds perfect for both of us to read.On a related note, our daughter's MIL, FIL, and BIL have all been on low carb diets. (DD naturally thin, SIL is a fit weightlifter). DD said her brother in law has lost 30 pounds and now it's weird because with the weight off he looks just like her husband.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!
 
snowangel9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boise
Posts: 5,850
Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I find this humours, in a good way! When I switched my family, this was years ago, I didn't ask. They ate what I fixed. My now ex-husband lost 20#'s just by eating dinner at home. I think fixing dinner without the starches and a low carb treat for dessert would sell it for you. I used a lot if Linda Sue's recipes and got tons more from the recipe room & suggestion room.

Sounds like he's trying to get healthier if he's a reader that could help too... The short version of Gary Taubes book, is Why We Get Fat. Either way, sounds like you are both on the right track.
__________________
Freedom isn't free

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
Good calories bad calories revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BigAgain View Post
My family watched me lose 50+ lbs. a few years ago on a LCHF diet. Unfortunately, as the story often goes, I proceeded to lose my way and gain it all back (long story). When I decided to get back to the WOE, they were not supportive. I heard all the usual arguments (you can't sustain the weight loss, it isn't good for you, your cholesterol will go up, you need carbs, blah, blah, blah). I told my husband and 23 year old son that I did not want to hear any more from them until they read "Good Calories, Bad Calories". They are both very scientific-minded, so they did. That was all it took. My son proceeded to lose 70 lbs, and my husband has lost 35 lbs. We are all on this WOE, and it makes it so much easier for me to do it with hubby eating the same way I do. My son is away at grad school, doing it on his own, but loves to come home for mom's (low carb) home cooking. I could have talked until I was blue in the face but they needed scientific facts. Not sure if it will work for your hubby, but it is worth a try.
Oh, now I see I was wrong it is a book. Just ordered it as an audio book. After I listen to it I think I will suggest the short version on kindle for him. I work in health care (Occupational Therapist) so hopefully I have enough background to understand the scientific version. He is more of a liberal arts/ history person plus he uses a kindle so the short version might be great for him.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
spaceace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 375
Gallery: spaceace
I agree that it has to be his decision completely. You can suggest and educate, but the more you push the more he will likely push back. He's not a child and trying to switch him is likely to create resentment. (While I say that, I know that your motives are very positive and in his best interest.)

On the other hand, you do not necessarily have to keep cooking or buying stuff that you don't want to have around and think are bad for the people you love. (I'm not being sexist -- I am a guy and I buy 80 percent of our food and cook more than my wife. I'm a teacher and she works half the evenings when my kids our home because she's a nurse.) If he has to go through the effort to keep cooking and buying crap, then he might just join you, or at least cut back. The feeling better, seeing quicker progress, or ease of joining you versus cooking might persuade him to join. Of course, if it's like my family then it wouldn't matter since I buy and cook myself.

Another approach is to challenge him -- I don't know if you have weight to lose still or not, but a contest over who can lose the most over the next 3 months -- with a BIG payoff for the winner at the end. Or compete in a 5K, 10K, or obstacle race -- anything that would require training and improvement. Just some thoughts. Alot of guys are competitive and the idea of getting beat by their wives could be quite motivating. Again, the winner gets a BIG payoff reward.

Just some thoughts to consider.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
I like the idea of challenging him it could be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace View Post
I agree that it has to be his decision completely. You can suggest and educate, but the more you push the more he will likely push back. He's not a child and trying to switch him is likely to create resentment. (While I say that, I know that your motives are very positive and in his best interest.)

On the other hand, you do not necessarily have to keep cooking or buying stuff that you don't want to have around and think are bad for the people you love. (I'm not being sexist -- I am a guy and I buy 80 percent of our food and cook more than my wife. I'm a teacher and she works half the evenings when my kids our home because she's a nurse.) If he has to go through the effort to keep cooking and buying crap, then he might just join you, or at least cut back. The feeling better, seeing quicker progress, or ease of joining you versus cooking might persuade him to join. Of course, if it's like my family then it wouldn't matter since I buy and cook myself.

Another approach is to challenge him -- I don't know if you have weight to lose still or not, but a contest over who can lose the most over the next 3 months -- with a BIG payoff for the winner at the end. Or compete in a 5K, 10K, or obstacle race -- anything that would require training and improvement. Just some thoughts. Alot of guys are competitive and the idea of getting beat by their wives could be quite motivating. Again, the winner gets a BIG payoff reward.

Just some thoughts to consider.
I love your idea of a challenge. I am 162 today, my goal is 140. I think he is 210 and chart weight for him is 190, so that is actually perfect, we are almost in the same position. It might be a fair fight too, since men lose easier but I have the better diet😜. The payoff could be a weekend away together, location and activities chosen by the winner.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Just Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 272
Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I agree, if you are the main shopper... nothing wrong with slanting the purchases towards your preferences. If your DH requests, then of course you'll buy it.
I struggle to avoid cheat items in the store... I wish we did not have then in the house but that is unrealistic. The fewer the better.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
We made a challenge.

Well, I took your suggestion. We made the reward $500 to spend as desired. We decided this would be more of a competition than if we both got the trip. I have already been perusing amazon. My husband was funny when I suggested he could get a nice suit if he wins. He said, "I won't need to buy a nice suit if I win, I have 4 or 5 nice suits in the closet I can wear if I win." So then I suggested he might like a really cool up to date kindle. I'm sure both of us will think of how we want to spend it. So I am 162 today and he is 211. We will just keep it simple and go for most pounds lost by Feb 1. We are both excited about the challenge. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
Aomiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,569
Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think your husband needs to make the decision for himself. Let him eat your low carb stuff if you want, but if he is still eating grains and tubers he is not going to get the benefit of a low carb diet.
My husband eats the way I do at home, but I know he eats carbs at work...which is fine. However, my diet tends to be higher fat than is safe with people eating carbs, so I'm just more careful to watch the fat I put in/on his foods here at home.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
trishthedish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,782
Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
I have encouraged DH to eat healthier by sharing nutritional information, but he makes his own decisions about what he eats. I do cook dinner almost every night and can control that he eats healthy proteins and vegetables with dinner. I am willing to include a starch for him with his dinner if he desires (he often skips it).

What he eats for breakfasts, lunches, and snacks is completely on him… and it doesn’t seem he has listened to any of my ‘lessons’ on good nutrition as he still eats like a college student.

Oh well... I know I wouldn't appreciate him putting me on a 'diet' so I won't do it to him either.
__________________
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."- World Health Organization, 1948
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 910
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody1958 View Post
Well, I took your suggestion. We made the reward $500 to spend as desired. We decided this would be more of a competition than if we both got the trip. I have already been perusing amazon. My husband was funny when I suggested he could get a nice suit if he wins. He said, "I won't need to buy a nice suit if I win, I have 4 or 5 nice suits in the closet I can wear if I win." So then I suggested he might like a really cool up to date kindle. I'm sure both of us will think of how we want to spend it. So I am 162 today and he is 211. We will just keep it simple and go for most pounds lost by Feb 1. We are both excited about the challenge. Thanks for the suggestion.
HAH! What a great idea.

If I were you, I'd make it by % of body weight lost. That way seems a bit more fair, because as a heavier male, he has more weight to lose.

GOOD LUCK!
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member
 
winefairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 46
Gallery: winefairy
WOE: LC/JUDDD
I completely understand your dilemma with your husband.

I've tried but failed to convert my hubby to LC. So difficult in my house when we both do the shopping and we both love to cook. Hubby is very resistant about giving up what he likes and I've all but given up.

He too needs to lose weight and what he is doing isn't working. I like the idea of the challenge and am thinking about my own little twist. Thought I might challenge him to 30 days of no processed foods. Well maybe should start with a shorter challenge to start. Lol. He does love whole foods such as fruits & veggies and so that part won't be difficult. It's getting him to give up his bread, cereal, etc.

Hmm....have to give that some thought.
winefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Just Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 272
Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I remember seeing the late Dr A on morning TV. I'd already tried other 'diets' & failed miserably. As soon as I cut down, I got hungry. Next thing you know I have acid reflux & heartburn so bad... I'd do anything t o make it stop. I was taking antacids like pop-corn & still it was coming back. I knew how o make it go away... just eat. BINGO, I'm off the diet! (If I go off LC... I still get he acid!)
I figured no chance in that hot place down stairs. But something convinced me to try it out, one meal at a time. I proved I could do the meals with no issues... I tried a whole day. Right about that time I found a copy of Dr Atkins book in a yard sale. I never looked back.
I think I'd try a week of LC... It's a bit hard to give up cereal for a meal that needs cooking though a breakfast can be precooked or prepared. Lunch... giving up bread is the most difficult but my McD/Wendys is used to my BacCheeseBurger with no bun. I just go slow in ordering. I am very enthusiastic because it worked for me. Maybe he wants to do something else. Challenge him to come up with another plan to try & let him try it.
You have a right to ask him to support your plan FOR YOU and not make things for you that are not acceptable. Now I don't know your CCL... and I've stopped trying to make a math project for myself... but questionable recipes should be discussed & you decide if you can eat it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
[QUOTE=limetwist;16670301]HAH! What a great idea.

If I were you, I'd make it by % of body weight lost. That way seems a bit more fair, because as a heavier male, he has more weight to lose.

GOOD LUCK![/QUOTE

I know that would be a little fairer, but this way is more straightforward. Plus I have a "better" diet so I figure that will even out the advantage he gets from being a heavier male with more pounds to lose.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member
 
spaceace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 375
Gallery: spaceace
I'm glad you liked my idea! The great thing is, regardless of who wins, as long as he really tries it, you've both won! Please let us know how it goes.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!
 
Annabel Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,482
Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
It has to be his choice.
Lead by example!

I would send him a few few good low carb youtube video to watch.
It is a lot easer to start out with the videos than with the books.
They are less of a commitment and can be very motivating.
After that he may want to read the books.
Wish you the best of luck.
My husband has been LC with me from the start and it has been so helpful to me and healthy for him.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
Just Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 272
Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel Lee View Post
It has to be his choice.
Lead by example!
It does have to be his choice... and it might not work for him! But be strong & do well. He can not deny your success & that gives you reason to expect his support.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Trigger828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,305
Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Your one question about giving him higher fat snacks, like nuts, lc cheese muffins etc. is probably not a good idea if he is continuing on a higher carb bready/flour/sugar diet.

LC means comittment to eating just that way. If we combine the higher fats with the high carby stuff then we get nowhere in that SAD way of eating. In fact, we would get worse probably


Best of luck to him. That challenge sounds good. Sara Lee makes some low carb rolls and bread. While not best obviously it could keep him on track. 8 net carbs per hamburger roll vs. a normal one at 24 nc is way better. Just saying, there are ways to make this doable for him.

mod. carb works wonders for many also. he will find his sweet spot I am sure. Can't wait to hear about the winner!!
__________________
Gonna get this done
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 38
Gallery: Jody1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Your one question about giving him higher fat snacks, like nuts, lc cheese muffins etc. is probably not a good idea if he is continuing on a higher carb bready/flour/sugar diet.

LC means comittment to eating just that way. If we combine the higher fats with the high carby stuff then we get nowhere in that SAD way of eating. In fact, we would get worse probably


Best of luck to him. That challenge sounds good. Sara Lee makes some low carb rolls and bread. While not best obviously it could keep him on track. 8 net carbs per hamburger roll vs. a normal one at 24 nc is way better. Just saying, there are ways to make this doable for him.

mod. carb works wonders for many also. he will find his sweet spot I am sure. Can't wait to hear about the winner!!
Thanks!!! This thread will be done by then. Where should I post about the winner? Maybe I will make a new thread when our contest is over.
Jody1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
Just Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 272
Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I think you can bring this thread back if you can find it... you are probably subscribed to it. Or you could link to it & start a new thread.
I don't think there's any harm in giving a LC snack or desert. It won't be effective since he's still eating carbs. I wouldn't give a fat-bomb however.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member
 
sheened's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 220
Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
My husband agreed to try 100g a day and he really suffered!! I think carb flu really kicked his butt, probably because he eats a lot of carbs normally, he hates the food i eat lol so i make two meals (i'm not working so its no biggie) i'm working on that at the moment and we managed to share one meal this week which is a result! However he has become more carb conscious and thats a positive! Marks daily apple has a carb chart which might be helpful, its not as restrictive as atkins etc. i think its 50g - 100g for weight loss and 100-150g for maintenance. But yeah steering clear of the fat may be a good idea if he's still high carb. I'd balloon if i added more carbs to my current diet.

Paleo might be a good way of getting him interested, the "unleash the warrior caveman within you" chat didn't work on my husband but sites like that have loads of men on there which may appeal to him.
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.