Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
SEVERE Induction Flu

I know its been discussed before, but how do people get thru induction flu when it is severe? weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, migraine...
Ive tried the broth, salt, eating some veggies but it gets so bad i can hardly eat at all which makes it even worse...
Im gearing up to start again but Im looking for other suggestions as to how to deal with this. I have Lyme disease and candida so thats probably why Im getting such a severe die off.
How long can this last? I can only seem to make it up to a week and I cant take any more of the sickness, so I need to be able to keep this in check or Ill never be able to stay on this woe.
Thanks

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
Maybe work down the carb ladder. I have done that before and it's stopped Induction flu.

You start at 100 grams of carbs per day, the next week 50, the week after that 25 and then induction.

Plus start taking a probiotic for your gut health!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
That's a bit extreme, are you sure you don't have a stomach bug as well? I only ask because they're going around.

I concur with the poster above me that if you're supplementing magnesium, chromium, and eating plenty of salty broth, it's time to work backward slowly rather than go whole hog into induction. Reduce your carbs gradually until you hit 15-20 net and then work up the carb ladder as per ongoing weight loss (OWL).
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Good advice from these 2...give it try and post back to let us know how it goes.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power

I also have Lyme & co-infections, sorry you have it, it's an insidious disease.

Lyme can make induction flu 10 times worse. Those lyme bacteria really like their sugar and doing by-the-book Atkin's induction can set off a herx reaction.

I agree with the posts above. Go slowly. Sugar and wheat (and other gluten) are your biggest enemies, start eliminating those first. Then work on potatoes, rice, and other starches.

Drop your carb intake over several weeks or even months. Don't worry if you can't get down to 20g. Be happy with 30 or 40. It's better to have a little higher carb intake than to give up all together. Maybe try Protein Power (by Drs. Eades) Protein Power led me to low carb before I was diagnosed with Lyme.

Low carb is the best way of eating when you have Lyme disease. It reduces the inflammation that causes much of the pain and other issues.

I hope this helps

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" - La Rochefoucauld

Uncover the LYME Epidemic - watch "Under Our Skin"
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
Oh, I forgot (Lyme brain):

I don't know if I need to say this, but fat is your friend. Be sure to get enough protein and good fat (olive oil, butter, bacon grease, etc.)
RubyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
Everything they said Also, I know somebody that had MAJOR lyme disease symptoms, tried tons of meds, then one day went to a new doctor (their 3rd or 4th one). The doctor said get off the meds and we'll start from scratch. 6 months later, and NO symptoms anymore. Just a thought.
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
I keep trying to go down the carb ladder but i cant seem to... i stopped sugar for a few days and then binged... i cant control myself...
ive been battling getting back on low carb for over a year, so not a stomach bug for sure.
i guess i have to keep trying cause the ketosis shock is more than i can take...
i really hate veggies too.
nspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I'm new to a completely LC WOE but I do have years of experience in dealing with a necessarily restricted diet and I just want to give you encouragement. Hang in there; the cravings *will* eventually pass, completely. About 15+ years ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease and had to give up all glutens. At first I was somewhat in denial, telling myself that one slice of pizza or an occasional beer couldn't possibly hurt. I gradually came to an acceptance of my condition however. One thing that helped me during the first year or so was to find acceptable substitutes such as gluten free bread, pasta and crackers. Then one day I realized I didn't need to eat those things and in fact they were too starchy to eat without gaining weight. So I stopped eating the substitutes entirely and never looked back. And I can swear to you I never have any compelling cravings. Sure, when we eat out and the waiter brings a plate of wonderful smelling bread to table I think "Bread like that tastes so good" but I am not lying when I tell you I am not ever tempted to take even one bite. So my suggestion to you, if you are craving sweets, is to perhaps find a sweet but sugar-free substitute that will satisfy your cravings as long as you still have them. I can assure you that eventually you'll stop desiring sweets. I too was a person who once enjoyed sweet things but I stopped eating sweets for weight control and only, for many, many years used sugar substitutes. Eventually I stopped the sugar substitutes out of concern that they might be dangerous and it was amazingly easy to do. So from a person who once loaded up her coffee with sugar, then loaded it with at least 2 packets of Splenda, was born a woman who happily drinks her coffee black or with just a little HWC and finds it delicious. So I repeat, hang in there...it will get better and you won't at all miss the things you now find so seductive. Habit will take over and you'll never even think about the things you now crave but shouldn't eat.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
No added sugar yogurt helps me. It isn't approved for induction but may help
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I've read a LOT of books on a low carb WOE (starting with "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes - my HUGE lightbulb moment), but one that seemed especially friendly was "Life Without Bread," (Allan and Lutz), which advocates a gentle slide into low carb, rather than cold turkey. These docs believe a gradual reduction in carbs prevents shocking the body, thus preventing many of the adverse withdrawal/conversion symptoms. I found the book really interesting and perhaps will help you. Good luck and good on you for wanting to persist despite your symptoms!!!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote