Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
The Profile of an Emotional Eater

For those of us who binge or have a less than healthy relationship with food this article was very interesting and informative. Hope this may help others like me.

From the Shrink Yourself Website:

Everyone who eats for emotional reasons is unique but we can learn something from the things Emotional Eaters share in common. That's why we did a survey of 25,000 people who identified themselves as Emotional Eaters and asked them some very pointed questions. This is the largest survey in the literature on the subject of, and reveals something significant.

A very clear profile emerged from this survey. The Emotional Eater shares some of the same positive reasons that all people have when they want to lose weight: to be more attractive, fit into clothes better, to be healthy, and to have more energy. However, the Emotional Eater wants much more to happen when they lose weight. They want their life to be better; not just their body.

Emotional Eaters said that losing weight would help with their self-esteem, would have them stop criticizing themselves, would stop food from being a conflict in their life, and would help them control their moodiness, depression, or anxiety. Emotional Eaters may not realize what their answers indicate. They hope that losing weight will make them more complete psychologically. However, diets fail them because the solution happens in reverse. They have to become more psychologically complete in order to lose weight. The Emotional Eater must establish a new relationship to food.

The survey revealed this flip side of Emotional Eating. Emotional Eaters are afraid to let food go. Their answers exposed that while they wanted to lose weight, an equally big part of them wanted to hold on to food because it was the only way to stop feeling empty inside, because it made them feel better about their regrets and unfulfilled potential, and because it provided the perfect quick escape when the stress of life became too much. They saw food as a symbolic protector, loved the feeling that junk food gave them, and didn't want anybody to try to stop them from eating as much as they wanted. This is why the Emotional Eater yo-yo diets; they're afraid to give up the comfort of food (it has nothing to do with gluttony or lack of willpower).

These survey results are totally consistent with what we have seen in individuals over the years. Emotional Eating makes it impossible to lose weight and keep it off despite good intentions. Food has become so much more than a tasty treat. It has become a cure-all; something with magical properties that makes people feel great. It takes hard work to give up the magic and have to learn more effective ways to handle the tension of life. The Emotional Eater must learn to let food go psychologically and then they can lose weigh.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Thank you so much for posting this. I have long known that I am an emotional eater, and I know the exact pivotal event that totally changed my relationship with food to a dysfunctional one.

I agree that changing how I look at food is the only way I will ever overcome my dysfunction. So far, I have been more successful, meaning I am using food less and less for dealing with stress and feelings of being overwhelmed, by focusing on choosing LC foods and recipes that feature fine flavor vs. focusing on my comfort foods, and developing more pride in myself and personal satisfaction while this shift evolves and my LC cooking and baking skills become more refined and gourmet focused.

I would love to see a dialogue evolve in this thread. You never know when sharing your own shifts in perception may be exactly what another person needed to see to shift their own perspective.
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Emotions don't make you eat. It is physiologically impossible. What does make one eat, is the hormonal reaction to stress (or could be identified as 'emotions'). What ever you call it, it creates the same reaction as any stress does with a rise in stress hormones.

If one can make a connection in their thinking in identifying the mechanics of this process and remove the notion that it is all in their head, it will go a long way to helping deal with it.

Feelings are powerful - no question. They evoke a hormonal response which is entirely physical. It is the reaction to that hormonal response that is important. If you can realize that you are not somehow too emotional or weak in some way and rather realize that it is a normal physical reaction, then you may feel more empowered to make appropriate responses.

That would be to pick foods that don't raise other hormonal responses like carbs and insulin.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The mind/body connection is too well documented in scientific literature to separate emotions from hormonal responses.

Yes, my insatiable appetite just prior to TOM was purely hormonal, but that didn't make me any less hungry.

However, many years ago in a session with a psychologist (consulted about my eating issues), he deliberately made me very angry. When he saw that he'd evoked the desired emotion, he stopped and suddenly said, "Aren't you very hungry right now?" I realized I was very hungry, although I'd had a meal shortly before this session.

He went on to explain how my body responded to intense emotion with feelings of hunger, a relationship that (he speculated) had developed many years earlier, probably in childhood. I have spent many years trying to change that pattern.

My point is that the individual human person is too complex to assume that emotions cannot 'cause' hunger. My psychologist demonstrated how it happened for me. Were there 'hormones' involved? Possibly. But the basic 'cause' of the hunger was the emotional experience.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Thanks for posting this, it touched a cord... I agree with Leo, the relationship with food and emotion is complex. I am trying to change my relationship with food, not just lose weight. And, I think I get it now that losing weight isn't the whole journey...
snowangel9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/127/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Yes, my insatiable appetite just prior to TOM was purely hormonal, but that didn't make me any less hungry.
Leo, do you have any tips on how to deal with hormonal hunger. I have horrible carb binges every month before TOM and I am at my wit ends on how to control them.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I'm not read to come clean about the Emotional Aspect of my eating. I had physical changes while my first marriage was busy failing... and has continued since... But there is an Emotional Aspect. I am looking for more clarity for myself.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Marika-

I am fortunately well past TOM now, but I'm afraid that I have nothing helpful to offer. My raging hunger was usually just 24-36 hours before TOM arrived, but during that time, my appetite not only raged--it was insatiable. No matter what I ate, I was always hungry.

Once I realized that it was all hormonal, it really didn't help much because I continued to binge to try to satisfy that hunger. I think that it was just a few times that I managed to 'white-knuckle' through those hours, but most of the time, I ate constantly--and then did damage control later.

You have my sympathy because only someone who has experienced this hormonal problem can appreciate how difficult it is to resist eating. At the time, any doctor I asked about it just trivialized my experience as something 'natural' that I'd have to endure. I had hoped that there was something I could take to eliminate the cravings. Have you had any success with medical help?
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
We are all so different when it comes to what works for each of us,but here is what worked for me,at least partially:

many of my eating habits were formed during childhood.So for example,I used to have butter cookies and tea with my family in the afternoons.My parents passed away a few yrs ago.So whenever I was stressed,I would turn to butter cookies and tea.Once I realized I was equating relaxation with eating butter cookies,and trying to recreate the same safe,happy ,carefree part of my childhood,I was able to control my stress differently than with food.It took a while to 'relearn',but now I know I can relax without food.It wasn't easy at all,but with consistency,comes the results.
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
I've battled with emotional food ties probably my whole life, add to that sugar addiction and you get a big tied up mess!

What helped me this time round to stick to low carb and have next to no cravings was to do a solid six months of hypno recordings around food, nourishment, emotions, food beliefs etc. it was only when I felt ' ready' that's started low carb, and to my surprise, it has been so very easy! Like I had horrendous carb withdrawals ( nausea, migraines, vomiting) but no emotional carb cravings! Now when I have an emotional response that would mean over eating, I am able to identify it and talk myself down...not that it happens much any more really.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Marika-

I am fortunately well past TOM now, but I'm afraid that I have nothing helpful to offer. My raging hunger was usually just 24-36 hours before TOM arrived, but during that time, my appetite not only raged--it was insatiable. No matter what I ate, I was always hungry.

Once I realized that it was all hormonal, it really didn't help much because I continued to binge to try to satisfy that hunger. I think that it was just a few times that I managed to 'white-knuckle' through those hours, but most of the time, I ate constantly--and then did damage control later.

You have my sympathy because only someone who has experienced this hormonal problem can appreciate how difficult it is to resist eating. At the time, any doctor I asked about it just trivialized my experience as something 'natural' that I'd have to endure. I had hoped that there was something I could take to eliminate the cravings. Have you had any success with medical help?
Thanks for your reply Leo. I have tried so many different things to control it and yet I lose my control every time No, seriously is not fun and I realize it is not as severe for every women out there. You really have to experience it to understand how severe that is. I wish it was confined to 24-36 hrs but it is usually few days for me. I am bottomless pit and I get this "don't care" attitude. No help from docs.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I have been an emotional eater since I was a child. I remember stealing Little Debbie snacks and hiding in my closet and eating all of them. Its a wonder how I wasn't obese before the age of 18! For the longest time I blamed my mother and her horrible ways of treating me for my own obesity as an adult.

After reading The Diet Cure by Julia Ross, I now know that it is actually an amino acid imbalance. I started on the amino acids when I started this way of eating, and 10 weeks later and I have no emotional eating tendencies at all anymore.

I no longer believe any of the Oprah and Dr. Phil shows I watched in the past, and now know it was a chemical imbalance, not anything psychological as I was always taught.
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Interesting. I learned that I eat in response to anxiety. I think it is similar to drinking in social situations. I eat, instead of drink at social parties. And I also noticed a weekend with my family, I can consume as much as 6000 calories. This is because there is so much high anxiety with my family. Now I just avoid these situations, until I figure out a better strategy. It is physiologically based, I am eating to reduce anxiety instead of nutrition. Is it response to some type of stress. Regardless, it is about learned to think of food "nutritionally" and not "emotionally." You eat to fulfill nutritional needs. That means food needs to taste good enough to eat, but not too good that you eat more than your body needs to function on a physical level.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
just wow. I need to come back to all these posts and reread them as they really seem to make sense of my emotional eating and relationship to food.
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ReenieKay
Stats: 243/161/150
WOE: Lower Carb/sugar free/gluten free
Start Date: Off and on Lw carb since October 2003
I am the classic yo-yo dieter, up and down in weight for almost 30 years. I read all the comments above, and think each time, yeah, that's it. Honestly though when I think about it, when I am in my groove of losing weight, I basically have no uncontrolable cravings, because I just tell myself I can't have those things...they're off bounds. Then when I lose enough weight to reach the "normal weight" for my size, I start to feel the binging urge. It seems like with me, it's not so much eating for emotions, but not being able to learn how to control when, and how much I eat without a rigid eating plan. I am trying to learn how to eat only when I'm truly hungry, and then only until I'm not hungry anymore, but it's really hard. So why would it be that I mostly have emotional/hormonal (or whatever) eating issues when I'm not on a more rigid eating plan?

Last edited by ReenieKay; 11-03-2013 at 04:35 PM..
ReenieKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
I'm pretty much an emotional eater. It is a coping mechanism, a social thing, a reward system, a form of enjoyment. I'm also a carb addict. I don't think this will ever change. I just need to find a way to deal with it and find a suitable work around for my food problem.
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Thanks for your reply Leo. I have tried so many different things to control it and yet I lose my control every time No, seriously is not fun and I realize it is not as severe for every women out there. You really have to experience it to understand how severe that is. I wish it was confined to 24-36 hrs but it is usually few days for me. I am bottomless pit and I get this "don't care" attitude. No help from docs.
I've been there and I totally get it I can go a whole week before with out of control binging - and totally justify it knowing I'm pms'ing. I then spend the next 2 -3 weeks undoing the damage diet wise, for it all to start all over again
High Fat/ Low carb, has really helped me, sugar is literally a gateway drug for me and I'm an emotional/hormonal mess with the sugar highs and lows.
I've gotten a grip on it in the past year and have lost 20lbs, lots of stops and starts along the way, but I have gone a few cycles with no binging eating this way, which I consider a huge success.
Not sure what your woe is, but for me cutting out the carbs, including sugar, helped tremendously.
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/202 @ 5'7" size 7X/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Personally, I have an emotional eating issue as well as being born without an "off" switch for an appetite.....I was hungry ALL of the time I was awake.
I had to resort to psychological counseling for assistance to handle emotions properly (rather than being silent and stuffing emotion down with food) as well as having a lap band installed which killed the appetite.
I have learned SO much in self-discovery.....painful, humorous, you name it. Now, I can say I truly know myself....thank goodness I made the journey and will cheer everyone else here who is battling the same issues. It IS comforting knowing you are NOT alone!!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
I've been there and I totally get it I can go a whole week before with out of control binging - and totally justify it knowing I'm pms'ing. I then spend the next 2 -3 weeks undoing the damage diet wise, for it all to start all over again
High Fat/ Low carb, has really helped me, sugar is literally a gateway drug for me and I'm an emotional/hormonal mess with the sugar highs and lows.
I've gotten a grip on it in the past year and have lost 20lbs, lots of stops and starts along the way, but I have gone a few cycles with no binging eating this way, which I consider a huge success.
Not sure what your woe is, but for me cutting out the carbs, including sugar, helped tremendously.
Suzanne, thank you!. You described the exactly to the T! I know that I can't cave with that first bite of carbs during PMS. I am in this horrible place right now and I am struggling big time I am going to increase may fats even further with SLD (Shangri-La diet), I have done it before and it worked beautifully.