Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
that is what worried me before I finally got the bagels to try.

I could eat a GIANT bagel from NY bagels loaded with butter and within 20 minutes would be searching for MORE food.

I was scared to eat the GLCB bagel actually. thinking it would do that to me BUT it didn't. I ate one everything bagel with cream cheese and I was fine it made me perfectly content and I was not searching for more food after, even a few hours.

I am over the top to find something I like, will fit back into my life, and NOT MAKE me go carb crazy.

I tell ya, this is the bomb (for me at least)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #152
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I tried the pumpernickel bagel this morning. It was good, flavor was really neutral not pumpernickel-y, and the texture was a little spongy, but overall much better than a lot of the previous ones.
I have not tried the hamburger or hotdog buns, they're in the freezer for now
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

I am going to make some croutons out of my everything bagels.
chop into small chunks, add olive oil, some fresh minced garlic and toast crispy under the broiler. ADD into my salad. I miss croutons
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
I am going to make some croutons out of my everything bagels.
chop into small chunks, add olive oil, some fresh minced garlic and toast crispy under the broiler. ADD into my salad. I miss croutons
Trigger, this is a GREAT idea! I miss croutons too, of course---it's bread always my achilles heel, as you well know.

I often put pine nuts or pepitas or roasted slivered almonds on my salads to get that extra crunch. But nothing like a nice crouton thats soaked up some dressing.

In fact, one of my fave things in the world is a good bread and tomato salad when tomatoes are at their summer peak. It's a french thing, and usually made with chunks of baguette. I'm now thinking this summer maybe I can make it w/either the GLCBC bagels cut up, or maybe the onion pockets as I think they're the better texture for this kind of thing.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Ugh I sooo wanted the bread to be better I tried the plain right out of the bag and toasted with peanut butter and it was just OK. Had a slight spongy bite. Taste was neutral, but slightly off it's hard to describe. Will try a grilled cheese later and see if that's better - if not will just turn the loaf into bread crumbs. If you've ever tried carb krunchers, these are not as good, but since nutritional info on those is questionable I haven't been ordering. If you've had Julian 1 net carb bread, these are MUCH better.

Also have the cinnamon bagels and hamburger buns still to try....
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #156
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Starbucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Starbucks, do you know what your blood sugar was before you ate the bagel?
My blood sugar was 108 before I ate the bagel.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #157
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
Ugh I sooo wanted the bread to be better I tried the plain right out of the bag and toasted with peanut butter and it was just OK. Had a slight spongy bite. Taste was neutral, but slightly off it's hard to describe. Will try a grilled cheese later and see if that's better - if not will just turn the loaf into bread crumbs. If you've ever tried carb krunchers, these are not as good, but since nutritional info on those is questionable I haven't been ordering. If you've had Julian 1 net carb bread, these are MUCH better.

Welp, maybe I like them so much because I DO compare them to Julian Bakery, which is aweful.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Welp, maybe I like them so much because I DO compare them to Julian Bakery, which is aweful.
Yes, that Julian bread is just awful! I don't get the popularity. Compared to that GLCB is by far hands down better.

I think my problem is I go into it comparing to high carb bread and I'm always disappointed when it doesn't meet my incredibly hard to meet expectations lol.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #159
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I know somebody said that GLCBC and ThinSlim breads were the same but I've ordered both and I prefer the ThinSlim Love the Taste over the GLCBC. I can actually eat it untoasted in a sandwich!! When I made a grilled cheese with it I did have to salt it on the buttery grilled sides but when I did that it was fantastic!! On a regular sandwich I didn't have to add anything but the sandwich fillings.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncgirl
My understanding is that GLCB uses soybean oil and Thinslim uses olive oil. Now, that could have changed, but that's what I was told about a month ago....
ncgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #161

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Well, if that's the only difference, it sure makes a huge difference in taste and texture, to me anyway. I need to place another order but I have to use up my GLCBC loaves and buns in the freezer first.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/139/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
I was able to order bagels again. they are back in stock at Netrition...I ordered more this time...I didn't order the bread....I found a bread I can easily get at my grocery..if my hubby wants it...but I kinda like a bagel on the w/e for a turkey sausage/cheese breakfast treat or for a sandwich...BTW if you are a Quest bar fan..Netrition has the best price...
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #163
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCKCMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl View Post
My understanding is that GLCB uses soybean oil and Thinslim uses olive oil. Now, that could have changed, but that's what I was told about a month ago....
Some of GLCBC labels show olive oil and some show soybean oil. From what I was told a few months ago by them is that they've been using only olive oil for the last few months and are in the middle of a label change and once that's done everything will reflect olive oil. I'm sure netrition will change their nutrition facts on their website once that is completed.
LCKCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #164

Gallery: Sleepy
i just got my order
i LOVE the onion pockets
used it as a bun for a cheeseburger
havent tried my bread yet but will this weekend

are you guys eating these on a daily basis?

what else it good? any of their baking stuff?
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

I had a bacon, mayo and cheese on rye bread. 2 slices, 2 net carbs. HOW can ya go wrong. IT WAS DELISH!

sure wanted a tomatoe on there but I was out and my lettuce was wonky. Makeshift BLT
Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post

I don't like the bread toasted or just out of the bag. But like it made into grilled cheese and French toast. Bagels, rolls, and onion rolls we love. Just lightly toasted or just lightly warmed in microwave. I sometimes sprinkle some salt on them as they seem to be lacking in that respect.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCKCMO View Post
Some of GLCBC labels show olive oil and some show soybean oil. From what I was told a few months ago by them is that they've been using only olive oil for the last few months and are in the middle of a label change and once that's done everything will reflect olive oil. I'm sure netrition will change their nutrition facts on their website once that is completed.
Good information to know - do you know if they'll also be lower in calories, like Thinslim (or did they go that in depth!?)? Will be interesting to see if everything is exactly the same.

Sleepy - I love the brownies (ThinSlim Foods Brownies, Original) and squares and muffins - really, I've not had anything that I've disliked. There have been some things I've preferred over others, but I have a strong preference for chocolate (and cinnamon). Hope you enjoy anything else you may try!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #168
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCKCMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl View Post
Good information to know - do you know if they'll also be lower in calories, like Thinslim (or did they go that in depth!?)? Will be interesting to see if everything is exactly the same.

Sleepy - I love the brownies (ThinSlim Foods Brownies, Original) and squares and muffins - really, I've not had anything that I've disliked. There have been some things I've preferred over others, but I have a strong preference for chocolate (and cinnamon). Hope you enjoy anything else you may try!
They didn't really go in depth with that unfortunately but they did say that they had some very interesting products coming out without going into detail. I just love that there are companies making high quality ingredient products that taste good. Gone are the days of only having the choice to eat low carb soy bread that tastes like a sponge.
LCKCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I received my order of Onion Pockets yesterday from Netrition. The package says they're made with virgin olive oil - no soy referred to. I cut mine in half and lightly toasted. These were REALLY good - much better than the bagels IMO. The crust was crispy with a nice flavor. The inside almost fluffy - not chewy at all. Butter melted nicely. Did not affect blood sugar. I've had at least one bagel a day since my initial order, and am consistently losing on weigh day. I doubt that I'll be ordering anything other than the onion pockets from now on. Lots of possibilities for sandwich recipes.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
I have made my second order of items after testing many of them.

I ordered more sesame bread, sesame bagels, and onion pockets.

I agree the onion pockets are AWESOME. I would eat them while NOT on a LC diet. I really like the sesame bread and bagels too. I use the bagels with cream cheese (toasted) or with pizza sauce, cheese , and pepperoni.
Lots of options but I love this stuff.

My weight loss is slowing down to 1-2 lbs a week or so, but that's most likely due to me getting close to my goal. I'm 5lbs away (60lb lost so far). So I can't expect it to fall off, but I do know its not hurting my weight loss, so I'm a believer.

Good luck everyone.
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
I have made my second order of items after testing many of them.

I ordered more sesame bread, sesame bagels, and onion pockets.

I agree the onion pockets are AWESOME. I would eat them while NOT on a LC diet. I really like the sesame bread and bagels too. I use the bagels with cream cheese (toasted) or with pizza sauce, cheese , and pepperoni.
Lots of options but I love this stuff.

My weight loss is slowing down to 1-2 lbs a week or so, but that's most likely due to me getting close to my goal. I'm 5lbs away (60lb lost so far). So I can't expect it to fall off, but I do know its not hurting my weight loss, so I'm a believer.

Good luck everyone.
1 - 2 pounds a week is excellent for any stage of weight loss on any woe! Congratulations on your success! I would think this bread would be great for maintenance.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

yes these products are a maintenance miracle for me when I get there
Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
I am anxiously waiting on my first order. Ive ordered the sesame bread and onion pockets!!! I will be back to post my review.
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

I just placed a large order to keep in our freezer in the garage. I wanted to order before warm weather sets in. I mostly ordered the onion pockets because I have one toasted everyday now for breakfast. I also ordered the 65 calorie bagel to bring to work for sandwiches. I'll post my review on those when they come.

Also, I e-mailed the GLBC and asked why the label on my onion pockets said olive oil as one of the ingredients, and the website said soy oil. A person named Jason e-mailed back and said they use olive oil but need to use up the old labels they have that say soy.

Last edited by Redeemed; 03-29-2014 at 01:39 PM..
Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #175
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I've sampled a few of the products.
Pumpernickel bagel: good, a little spongy, toast heavily for a crispiness.
Pumpkin bread: hated it, way too sweet and artificial tasting, for me.
Cinnamon bagel: really good, does need heavy toasting.
Hamburger bun: really good, needs toasting.

The toasting is mainly to help cover the sponginess of the texture.
I ran them all through the "dark" setting twice, but then I like my toast close to burnt
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I ran them all through the "dark" setting twice, but then I like my toast close to burnt
That's funny - I'm the same way (though I do it with the Thinslims ). Though it's just one of many picky-odd tastes I possess (another being that any day must be finalized with chocolate frozen dessert!).
Old 03-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I've sampled a few of the products.
Pumpernickel bagel: good, a little spongy, toast heavily for a crispiness.
Pumpkin bread: hated it, way too sweet and artificial tasting, for me.
Cinnamon bagel: really good, does need heavy toasting.
Hamburger bun: really good, needs toasting.

The toasting is mainly to help cover the sponginess of the texture.
I have yet to find ANY LC bread, whether bought or made, that's not better toasted. But yeah, I do agree that the AMOUNT of toasting is important to each individual taste, and imo VERY important to experiment with.

For me, GLCBC products toasted as much as you like, turn into dry bricks with a papery texture. I like mine toasted to the point where they have crispy edges and a softer interior. And I rarely eat these products alone, almost always use them w/other LC foods.

To be honest, for me, none of the GLCBC products are as good as Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat, at 4 NCs a slice. But of all of them, I like the onion pockets the best---but again, in concert with toppings. The onion pockets make a great tuna cheesy for me. And the bagels have allowed me to enjoy one of my absolute faves, Eggs Benedict---WITH Trader Joe's most excellent hollandaise sauce, all made and ready to go---hat tip to the LCF who turned me onto this.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eagle eye
Wow.....the sesame bread is . My order arrived yesterday.
I am pleased that I can enjoy bread on lc. Although I do prefer it toasted. I also have the onion pockets. Will try them today.
eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
To be honest, for me, none of the GLCBC products are as good as Trader Joe's Sprouted Wheat, at 4 NCs a slice. But of all of them, I like the onion pockets the best---but again, in concert with toppings. The onion pockets make a great tuna cheesy for me. And the bagels have allowed me to enjoy one of my absolute faves, Eggs Benedict---WITH Trader Joe's most excellent hollandaise sauce, all made and ready to go---hat tip to the LCF who turned me onto this.
I continue to check my TJs for that bread.... Still can't find it. I just ordered the bagels, and I am passionate about that hollandaise, I can't wait for an Eggs Benedict!
millergirl1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #180

Gallery: Denise78
Stats: -89
My bagel order arrived today. I ate low carb all day. Had one of these bagels at supper and my sugars shot up to 216 an hour later. I am so disappointed. I hope it was just a fluke. Are any of you actually testing your sugar levels after you eat these bagels?
Denise78 is offline   Reply With Quote