Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Helen Wheelz
The "other" water issue...

I think I have serious water hang ups. Not only do I not like to drink it but I don't like running to the bathroom every 10 seconds!

On the positive side, co-workers know I am back on the wagon so they just come see me in the Ladies Room.
Helen Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monees lc
Stats: 187./170/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2008
I think your system eventually is able to hold the water a little longer once you are consistent.
monees lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I agree with the previous poster. If you stay on plan and consistently drink that amount of water then your bathroom trips will lessen because your body will be used to it.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yep, when I first got back in the habit of drinking the amount of water that felt right, I was going every half an hour (yes I timed it!), but that only lasted a few days. It gets better!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Your body does get used to it. It is a good habit to work on. :up
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I expect to go every hour or 2... I hate it but I know every bathroom (& several bushes) in 6 states! If I'm in my normal location, I drink more as I know I can get to the bathroom. When I'm out & about, I restrict somewhat. I like water bottles with a small opening. It's good to stay hydrated but it can be over done too.
Caffeine is a diuretic I learned recently. I am more careful about caffeinated drinks & it has made a difference. I only get a small diet coke with lunch out, instead of a Medium or getting a refill... much safer for making it home after.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmiller130
Stats: 211/193/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/01/2013
I drink LOTS of water...always have! Worried about diabetes, I got checked and do not have it. I am always thirsty.....and always going to the bathroom! I am surprised I don't swish when I walk. LOL
cmiller130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
One tip I picked up in some low carb book is to drink a goodly portion of your water when you first wake up (after morning pee). Taht goodly portion goes through me earlier in the day and I am on my way to my daily water quota. I aim for about 28 ounces as I have a measuring pitcher that size. Some days it is harder than others to get the water down, but I don't find that it gets easier for me later in the day. I kind of fell off my water goals in October, so I am hoping that being more disciplined in November will kick me off my current plateau.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller130 View Post
I drink LOTS of water...always have! Worried about diabetes, I got checked and do not have it. I am always thirsty.....and always going to the bathroom! I am surprised I don't swish when I walk. LOL
I could have written this one ! DH can't believe how much I drink
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
I pee ALL OF THE TIME on this diet. There was one night where I got up twice during the night, and I was all, "REALLY?" Hahah. It doesn't help that I was a bedwetter as a kid. :| Makes me nervous.

I really love water, though. Especially since restarting, I've been drinking like my life depends on it.

I told my husband, "I think I'm doing to die of water poisoning. SEND HELP! I CAN'T STOP!"

I suppose it's better than the alternative: chugging down four 2L bottles of Mountain Dew: Code Red or something.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't believe that all that water drinking is necessary (64 oz per day) and from my reading, it seems that it is a myth in most instances that has been perpetuated by bottled water companies. Call me a heretic!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/237/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
been on plan since Aug and drink constant water at work from 8a-5pm and still going to the bathroom every hour or so lol. What is positive for me is that before i could easily down a 12 pack of diet soda a day and now i have not had one since i started.

Last edited by kay9; 11-04-2013 at 09:07 AM..
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: winefairy
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiller130 View Post
Describes me exactly. Lucky for me, I'm usually the only one in my office most days & I have my own bathroom
winefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I don't believe that all that water drinking is necessary (64 oz per day) and from my reading, it seems that it is a myth in most instances that has been perpetuated by bottled water companies. Call me a heretic!
I have to say, I agree. I drink when I'm thirsty and that's about it. In high school, we were sternly told, "by the time you are thirsty, you're already dehydrated." That never made sense to me. Why would the body signal thirst when it's too late? That's like saying, "by the time you are hungry, you are already starving."
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I make a 1 qt kettle of my favorite Raspberry herbal tea... that's 2 "mason jar" mugs of tea before noon... every day. I drink various tea, cold water & occasionally soda through about 8PM. After 8, I drink small glasses if I must. Some of my meds give me dry mouth so I sip as necessary. Bed time is not until after the end of 11 PM news.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
I have to say, I agree. I drink when I'm thirsty and that's about it. In high school, we were sternly told, "by the time you are thirsty, you're already dehydrated." That never made sense to me. Why would the body signal thirst when it's too late? That's like saying, "by the time you are hungry, you are already starving."
I am prepared to be open minded about this. I agree that in general water recs are exaggerated, but the drink water mantra connected with low carb seems a special case, no?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
I've found if I don't drink enough I get constipated...fat alone is not enough for me it seems....I'd rather be in the loo for drinking too much than not in the loo for not drinking enough iykwim
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymuma View Post
I've found if I don't drink enough I get constipated...fat alone is not enough for me it seems....I'd rather be in the loo for drinking too much than not in the loo for not drinking enough iykwim
Hi again, That is good point, that one needs water to flush the kidneys properly and also to keep the bowel moving. I don't travel well, largely because of needed bathroom breaks & if I don't drink enough or ?? some unknown factor I can get constipated too. I find LC digests rather well, leaving little waste products. In order to keep things moving regularly (typically daily) I take psylium fiber capsules, 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 2 w/ dinner. This is minimum for me.
I react badly to wheat fiber.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z-Baby
Stats: 227/217/145
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 10/14/2013
I drink and ton of water. I pee a lot. LOL!
Z-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

I agree with this. I drink 60 ounces a day (a twenty ounce bottle with every meal). If I force more, I feel awful and bloated. I doubt my hunting and gathering ancestors drank half their weight in ounces. They would have spent all day slurping out of the stream and failed to get anything else done.

I know some people need and/or want more and to that I say have at it! But if you are forcing water you don't feel you need or want, stop.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
I had the opposite reaction to low carb.
For as far back as I can remember I've had what I just put down to being, a "weak bladder" where I would pee about 12 times a day, it became normal and didn't really think about till last year, so I looked it up and apparently "normal" people went only about 4 times a day. It was suggested to start writing down when and how much (roughly every 1.5hrs and 200ml) as those who went that frequent usually only produced a small amount, not me! lol
Anyway, back on topic, one of the first things I noticed was I went 3hrs, couldn't believe it! Then 5, and a record breaking 8hrs once lol.
This unfortunately stopped about a month ago for no obvious reason.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Water is about the healthiest thing you can drink. I grew up on mostly water and tea, and this was before bottled water was even a thing. In the morning I'd get a glass of water and tea with milk, same thing after school. At school I would drink water. And, I am so thankful that we never had soda at home because it's such a hard thing for many people to give up and I wasn't even a fan to begin with.

I drink lots of water because it makes me feel better, especially on a lc diet where I can get easily dehydrated, weak, and dizzy if I don't have enough water and salt. There are so many toxins that we are exposed to in our world that I figure drinking clean water without any junk in it is the least I can do for my kidneys and liver.

To me water tastes good and makes me feel good, so I drink it, I'm not blindly following some dogma or recommendation.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 11-05-2013 at 04:24 AM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I drink a lot of water because i like it, but also because it helps mitigate water retention issues I have with certain meds. The more water I drink, the more it helps, especially with steroids, which I'm on a lot.

I was always the type of person who drank a lot of liquids, but when I'm not on plan, I am worse about making sure most of that liquid is water. When I'm on plan, I make sure that I'm drinking mostly water, with a few other (tea, coffee, diet soda, SF lemonade), not vice versa.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote