LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmiller130
Stats: 211/173/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/01/2013
Dinner Party Advice Needed!

I have been clean for over a month now and have slowed to a crawl with losing. However, I measure myself every week and have noticed that is where I am seeing the loss!

Here is the problem: We have been invited for dinner at our oldest and dearest friend's house for our annual Surf and Turf dinner. I have no problem passing up the potatoes and bread......it's the fried and battered perch that I will have issues with. It is my absolute favorite!!! We usually have steaks on the grill, a large salad, twice baked potatoes and some kind of bread (which I will gladly pass up) and PERCH! I even bring the tartar sauce and have never been one to add any sweetener or even use the jar stuff.

I'm in a panic!: cry: Kinda makes me want to decline the offer. I miss seeing them though!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muttsmom
Stats: 204/183/150
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: 07/2008; restart 9/28/2013
Is it too intrusive to request one piece of fish be thrown in a pan or on the grill wrapped in foil? I can't imagine such good friends raising a stink about it. Especially if you still bring the tartar sauce.
2muttsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I agree with 2muttsmom. That is the perfect solution. If you don't want to tell them that you are on a low carb diet, just tell them that you are on medication that prevents you from eating white flour, bread, grains. Don't force yourself to eat things that you know you should not eat.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
butttttttt the point is she loves the BREADED fish. it's a lot to imagine she is talking about the fish part of it when she says "It is my absolute favorite!!!" LOL

of course you could eat a VERY small piece of breaded fish. you could ask for plain fish. you could eat the turf and bring a big low carb cheesecake to console yourself with.

it would be too bad to miss the socialization.

how about you just ask them not to make the fish? that it is a terrible temptation for you and makes the whole thing no fun. see if you all can think of something else to substitute for it?

the tradition should be more about YOU than about the fried batter. I hope they will compromise. they can have the fish another night when you aren't there.

good luck.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
There are a number of delicious foods that are/were my absolute favorites but after finding a way to rework them into a low carb lifestyle, life is good. Some things I just can't have though- garlic bread, potatoes, pasta. My body/mind doesn't handle "just a small taste". That would send me down the road to ruin.
You have to decide what is in your best interest. If not having the fish prepared in the traditional manner will ruin the evening for you, then have the fish. If the company is what makes the evening fun, then ask to have your fish prepared differently. If this plan is going to be a way of life for you and not "a diet" you will face this type of situation over and over again. You have to be able to live your life.
Whatever you choose, enjoy the company of your good friends. They are truly a precious commodity.

Goals for 2014

Remain food-sane 1 day at a time
Continue with yoga
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I really love fish... but darn, you don't want to have to restart. I would discretely talk to your hosts ahead of time & just tell them your WOE (for what ever reason) and ask for your fish in foil... with butter & seasonings.
Beef & salad is already on the menu... watch the salad dressing... often loaded with sweetener. I often request oil & vinegar when we go out.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
You said you've slowed to a crawl with losing. You've got to ask yourself how you're going to feel if you eat that fish and gain even a couple pounds back...that you might have to struggle to lose for a week...or two or three (and perhaps deal with mental cravings due to getting that taste in your mouth again). What is more important...eating the fish which might make you feel good for a very small window of time and possibly pay for it for a much longer window of time...or just decide that it's not on the menu?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cherrytt_too
Stats: 299.5/258/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2, 2006
Does it come pre-breaded or do they do everything from scratch? You could perhaps make a ziplock baggie of your own breading out of almond flour, spices and some shaker parm cheese and bread your own to throw in the fryer.

I've never made a 'batter' but couldn't you add an egg or two to make it batter?
cherrytt_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
My husband naked-fries me fish when we do a fish fry. I think I could make a fine meal off of steak, salad, and naked-fried perch.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Naked fried sounds like the perfect solution.

I think we all have some kind of flour/fried food that we could have claimed as our favorite and it was central to some social gathering. I put it in the past tense because that is what is necessary. The thing is that over time, the desire for it becomes muted and most likely will disappear all together but only if you don't have it at all.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
When I was young, did a lot of flounder fishing... and eating... The family recipe was to roll the filets in flour & the corm meal... we kids called it 'sand fish'. Later we put the filets in foil smeared with butter & cooked on a grill. I also worked on the docks & often was the recipient of fresh fish... I miss those days. I would cook them clean however!

Last edited by Just Russ; 11-02-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote