Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Yes. A year and a half, and up 2 lb. I believe I would have gained more during this time if I weren't LC. I guess I need to take another look at calories. I have a hard time making myself track nd weigh and measure my food lately. Did it for years on low-fat diet, seems unfair to still have to on LC. But if I want results I know I have to do whatever it takes.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #32
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyohwh View Post
I just knew what worked for me (starving) and what didn't (cookies).
I actually LOLed.

You might check out intermittent fasting. There are many ways to do it, but basically you eat the same amount of food, but control the time you eat it.

There is Fast 5- eat everything within a five hour window every day.
JUDDD- eat very low calorie every other day and "normally" the other days
5:2- like JUDDD, but you fast (not completely, <500 calories) two days out of the week.

IF is quite popular now so there is tons of information out there and many more plans that the ones I wrote about.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
I tried IF, it wasn't for me. I don't mind the "normal" days, it's the almost fasting days, or a little fasting days, or just thinking of eating a lot less days... those days are just not for me.
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 193.4/182.8/125
WOE: Stillmans.Yeah, its a D-I-E-T!
So a year ago, you did a two week clean induction and didn't lose an ounce? I ask because you say you're on Atkins and Atkins involves distinct phases. If you did induction correctly, why did you wait another 50 weeks to question no weight loss?

Maybe you need to go back to the basics of induction and work your way up from there. You would need to give up your non-induction friendly foods.

I'm also confused why you say you're eating dairy because you have to?
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

I eat dairy for my calcium intake. Before Atkins, I rarely ate cheese, I ate yogurt.

I've been on Atkins for 8 months, not a year. I've been questionning it from day 1. I think it might have been my problem. I started researching it right away, and found all sorts of ways to eat low carb that didn't suit me, like Eat fat to lose fat with the beautiful 2000 calorie diet ( "diet of 2000-2100 calories would be more productive and I think you would see more weight loss") - that's taken from here EAT FAT LOSE FAT) and IF, for instance (triggers me).

I'm going to go back to induction, using the sample menus as ideas.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
My suggestion would be to go to original Atkins induction for 1 week, and take calcium supplements if you don't like dairy. Original atkins 72 didn't allow veggies the first week (except - only 1 loosely filled cup of leafy greens with cucumbers and radishes OR a sour pickle with lunch and dinner). You do that for one week to throw your body into ketosis. Then I would do the new Atkins Induction for two weeks and go from there.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kittee
Stats: 206/134/110-115
WOE: Atkins first, then LCHF, now PSMF
Start Date: April 2011
When I got into the 130's, I had to eat around 1,000 calories to lose anything. It sucks.
Kittee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

How many calories to maintain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittee View Post
When I got into the 130's, I had to eat around 1,000 calories to lose anything. It sucks.
1,000 calories!!!! Yikes, yikes, and super yikes!!! You make me very afraid. How many calories can you eat to maintain?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
My suggestion would be to go to original Atkins induction for 1 week, and take calcium supplements if you don't like dairy. Original atkins 72 didn't allow veggies the first week (except - only 1 loosely filled cup of leafy greens with cucumbers and radishes OR a sour pickle with lunch and dinner). You do that for one week to throw your body into ketosis. Then I would do the new Atkins Induction for two weeks and go from there.
I started today. Thanks for the post - I was on my way to eating a piece of cheese, which is a bit of a waste of calories for me (unless it's on a piece of pizza, and not the cauliflower crust type of pizza).
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
1,000 calories!!!! Yikes, yikes, and super yikes!!! You make me very afraid. How many calories can you eat to maintain?
It's actually not bad at all, you just can't waste calories on unnecessary stuff that has very little nutrition. I weigh 110 pounds so I don't expect to eat like a bigger woman or a man and maintain my weight.

I do eggs and bacon with vegetables for breakfast (about 600 calories), and a giant salad (mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, avocado, radicchio, peppers, maybe some goat or feta cheese) with 2 tbs of evoo and fresh squeezed lemon juice and roasted chicken, steak, or fish (another 600).

I am full on this amount of food and I eat 1200 or under. But, I don't eat desserts, make coffee with hundreds of cals in hwc, don't use any lc recipes that call for cups of cheese, or eat when I'm not hungry just because I feel like it.

I also found that lots of added fat was not helping me- protein is what keeps me full. I can't tell the difference in hunger between a salad with 2 TBS of evoo or 4 and that's a 240 calorie difference. My number one goal is always to eat enough protein for my body then lots of vegetables and round out my calories with fat.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #41

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Yeah, people are so often afraid of calorie numbers, but with low-carb food and clean eating and not much dairy or added condiments, it's seriously pretty easy to eat low calorie and have great nutritious meals. If a person was eating that way and not tracking, he or she wouldn't even know how few calories it totaled. It always strikes me that people seem afraid of arbitrary calorie numbers, like they are convinced they shouldn't go below ____ or they can't eat less than ____ or they will be starving. But with low-carb whole foods, this doesn't need to be the case at all. I mean, you can have a big omelet, and a very decent portion of meat and a large salad or big side of vegetables with real butter or olive oil and it doesn't come to many calories at all. Just watch the added fats and garnishes and it's no problem.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I weigh my dinner meat portions... 8-9 oz. Everything else is by unit count & have been adjusted over time. Salad is a small bowl.
The last time... I stalled once about half way & had to recalculate my intake... then stalled again just above my goal... maybe my body was satisfied at that level 252-84=168#. I have no idea of the calorie count.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

RE: "Yeah, people are so often afraid of calorie numbers"

The low calorie numbers do scare me for two reasons. First one : what if I get hungry? Second reason : I've read over & over again that if you go too low, your body will go in starvation mode, you won't lose anything, and you'll be eventually stuck at that number.

I guess I chose to believe Eat fat, lose fat quote : The slow weight loss may be due to the drastic reduction in calories. Your body has gone into a famine mode and slowed down its metabolism, in spite of the coconut oil. A diet of 2000-2100 calories would be more productive and I think you would see more weight loss. EAT FAT LOSE FAT

And it sure didn't work for me.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Seriously, at your size eating 2000 calories, I'd be happy if I maintained! I mean, that's just too much food for someone who is that small. I am a big girl and I can maintain my current weight eating 2500 calories a day. But I certainly cannot maintain my weight eating that much when I would weigh 150 lbs... It's all about being sensible, and doing what works for you. I also recommend playing around with your macros a bit to find the optimal ratios of carbs, fats and proteins for your height and weight. It takes a bit of fiddling around when you are close to goal...

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

I totally agree. The 2000 calories a day DIET sounded like a terrific idea; also, the authors wrote with such authority that I believed it could work for me. It didn't.

But I'm sure it does work for some lucky individuals.

That's why I say that LC is so complex : try this! try that!

As of yesterday, I'm trying (!) Aktins 72. Did not realize that it was 10 grams of carbs on induction - not 20 like it is today. So for me, it's a new twist on things.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:

That's why I say that LC is so complex : try this! try that!
It's not that complicated. Lower your calories to 1200-1400 and I bet you'll lose weight.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Forget the calories. Eat LC. You should not be hungry. If you are hungry, absolutely, eat. You will anyway. You have to eat. Eat something off the LC list. Don't worry about the carbs or calories. I was afraid of this same thing when I experimented with Atkins after seeing Dr A on TV.
Atkins is NOT permission to eat "as much as you want"... nor "eat all the fatty foods you want". It is eat all you NEED to not be hungry before the next meal. You should get hungry just as meal time approaches. It's best if you eat on time. Expect to eat 4-5 times a day with snacks... every 3-4 hours. Eat only what you need to get to the next meal time.

I readjust often... I challenge myself. If I'm not getting hungry, try switching or eat just a bit less. If I am getting hungry, plan another snack or eat a bit more. I do measure portions because I'm bad at estimating. Have a plan for a go to LC snack if you need it.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #48

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
No offense flagman, but you are substantially bigger than WhyO and a male. What works for you is not likely to produce the same results for her.

Quote:
It's not that complicated.
I don't think it needs to be complicated either.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
Forget the calories. Eat LC. You should not be hungry.
Sorry, but this is not good advice for everyone. Some of us do need to infact watch our calories and monitor them. It is very easy to overeat calories even when strictly eating LC for some people. Clearly the OP has been eating 2000+ calories on some days. She was staying under 20g of carbs and her menu looked decently clean. Calories are almost definitely her issue.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #50
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
Forget the calories. Eat LC. You should not be hungry. If you are hungry, absolutely, eat. You will anyway. You have to eat. Eat something off the LC list. Don't worry about the carbs or calories. I was afraid of this same thing when I experimented with Atkins after seeing Dr A on TV.
Atkins is NOT permission to eat "as much as you want"... nor "eat all the fatty foods you want". It is eat all you NEED to not be hungry before the next meal. You should get hungry just as meal time approaches. It's best if you eat on time. Expect to eat 4-5 times a day with snacks... every 3-4 hours. Eat only what you need to get to the next meal time.

I readjust often... I challenge myself. If I'm not getting hungry, try switching or eat just a bit less. If I am getting hungry, plan another snack or eat a bit more. I do measure portions because I'm bad at estimating. Have a plan for a go to LC snack if you need it.

Although I think eating 5x a day might be a bit much. If eating to hunger as you describe, it might be as little as 1 x per day some days.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

This is an Atkins 72 quote found somewhere on the Internet.

"A 1,500 calorie ten-gram diet will take more weight off- and more quickly than a 2,000 calorie ten gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don't cut their quantities loose more slowly because of their high caloric intake. .....If you can cut down on your calories you are better off to do so-but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger. .........I'm not saying that calories don't count, I'm saying that a low calorie diet is second best"

This week, I'll stick to counting Cals & Carbs as opposed to obsess over Fat & Protein.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Obsessing over fat and protein is quite silly for most folks if calories aren't squared away, first. Your carbs look great, so just focus on lower calories and volumetrics, if need be (eating filling food that is slightly less energy dense), and give it at LEAST 6-8 weeks of NO TWEAKING. That's the only way you'll be able to judge if it is working for you.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote