Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denene

hi aLL i have 125 lbs to lose ands im prediabtic. the dr told me to go on a low carb diet so for the last 5 weeks i have been going 40 to 60 carbs a day. i have only lost 10 pounds and am getting a bit discouraged. I know its gonna take time but in the last 4 weeks i havent lost at all, and i havent cheated at all. i get frustrated alot of the recipes are written in grams and say things like serves five i wish it would say i/2 cup it would make it soooo much easier
denene is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Welcome! Congrats on your success so far. It's great you have a doctor who recommends low carb. If you feel like you need to tweak you may think about cutting your carbs a bit. 40-60 g a day is more than many people here can eat and still lose weight. There are lots of great recipes in the Low Carb Recipes forum on this site, so be sure to take a look.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, there is a disconnect between what docs recommend and what seems best/easiest to those of us who do it. cutting carbs like that will help your blood sugar levels, but not do a lot for weight loss probably.

there is a good reason people do a solid two weeks at LEAST of Atkins induction to get started low carbing. it prepares both your mind and body. you lose better and tend to get over the carb cravings. at your current level, you probably still crave and get hungry.

give it a try and see if it helps. you can then slowly add more carbs to your intake, but you may find you lose better and are perfectly happy without them. good luck!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Sounds like you have done a great job so far! WTG on the loss!!

Nice your Dr. suggested low carb! What plan are you doing? Sounds like South Beach. I agree with cutting the carbs down a little more. Go to the recipe help and suggestion and look for Linda Sue. Go and check her site out. She has a ton of great recipes and tells you which ones are induction friendly... A lot of great cooks over there.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
You might want to pick up Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". It helped me take my A1c from 13 to 4.9 and down to 150 lbs.

My .02...I hate the word 'pre-diabetic'. To me it's a bit like saying you're pre-pregnant. If your A1c indicates your BG's are running higher than normal, then you're diabetic, no matter how they try to sugar coat it...and carbs are not your friend. You'll probably find that 40-60 is still too high, both for lowering your BG and for losing weight. I am always below 25, but many days below 10 just because I don't feel like eating vegies.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denene
thank you

thanks for all your replies i dont have a specific plan i did pick up a used adkins book and am trying to wrap my head around it. i will check out the things here (have already been checking out the recipe page lol). i was confused because right away my daughter got on me telling me i HAD to eat at least 60 carbs because too few were as bad as too many (sigh) so i know i will have a struggle with her (she is in her 30s & think she knows it all. this is difficult for me becaues i am a car baby (lol ) and very low income but i am finding i like some of the low carb stff and it doesnt have to be oo expensive (one of my favorite so far is taking a tomatoe an wedinging it thening spreaing it with 2tbsp of hummus and sprinkinging it with bacon which comes out to about 7 yummy carbs loli love meat so i am glad i dont have to give that upand am gonna try ctting back down on carbs So far hubby has been supportive about it which i am really glad cuz all the other times he would try sabotage on my diets
denene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012

I agree that deciding on a plan (i.e. Atkins, South Beach, etc.) is the best way to kick off the low carb way of life. Eventually, you can work your way up to 50 or 60 carbs a day to maintain a healthy weight, but if you want to see the scale moving you might need to go a bit lower.

I'm glad you found us and wish you the best on your journey towards a healthier lifestyle!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote