Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Michael Eades blog

I was just reading over there and he says to become keto adapted more quickly you should give up coffee Anyone find that coffee is an issue?
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Mrs. Robbie Williams

Gallery: hippiegirl
I've never had a problem, personally.
hippiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Coffee is no problem at all for me. I'm not sure which blog post you read that in?

I gave up coffee for a full year once. Not even decaf. It made no difference in any way. Mind you, I was not in the habit of drinking pots of coffee all day long either. If you drink tons of coffee it could, theoretically, cause problems.

I added coffee back in & drink it almost every day. I usually have two tall mugs of it with a little pure stevia powder extract in it. Today I had one mug. Yesterday I had three.

I have never used a keto-stick and never plan to but the fat is melting off; I'm shrinking like crazy. Whatever I'm doing, it is working great & has been for a long time.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 10-30-2013 at 06:36 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

"When you drink coffee, tea, and/or alcohol and take OTC meds, you occupy much of your liver’s detoxification capacity. Which means it can’t get rid of insulin as well and can’t regulate metabolism in general as well as it does when it isn’t busily detoxing toxins."

"So, if you really want to hit it hard in the early phases of your low-carb diet and reach low-carb adaptation at warp speed, I would recommend avoiding – or at least limiting – coffee, tea, alcohol and OTC meds."

This is a snippet from the article. It is Pt.II of a series regarding tips for starting/restarting a low carb diet. I love coffee and have about 3 cups a day
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I read the article. I really don't think it is an issue unless you are just starting out & also drinking very little water. How much water do you drink?

He even followed the above quote with "So, if you really want to hit it hard in the early phases of your low-carb diet and reach low-carb adaptation at warp speed, I would recommend avoiding – or at least limiting – coffee, tea, alcohol and OTC meds." Three cups of coffee per day is pretty moderate already.

I used to drink water similar to the way he mentions - some water, some coffee (or tea, etc). It helps form the habit of drinking water. Drinking anything other than water was a 'reward" for getting my water in. Now I just naturally drink about a gallon of water per day. Plus up to 3 mugs of coffee &/or 1-2 glasses of tea.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Interesting. I've never been a coffee drinker but for some reason I have been drinking it for the past couple of weeks. And my weight loss has stopped; I actually gained 2 lbs. this week. It will be easy for me to cut out and interesting to see if that helps. Thanks for posting this.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Never considered it could be a problem. Hmm... I thought fructose was what occupied 80% of your liver function. Where does he get that from? I only drink a couple of cups a day too.. Guess I could try and cut that out and see what happens.

I'd really like to know what he's referencing...
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Not an issue for me at all. I don't believe it makes any significant difference to someone with an otherwise solid diet and health status.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Well, I went from drinking 1 cup of coffee a day to 6 to 8 cups of coffee a day when I went to a low carb diet and lost a ton of body fat. I bumped up my coffee for a reason to drink HWC as a fat source. So although his reason makes sense, I am not sure that it actually works that way. Maybe if you are eating a lot of other toxins that could be true, but caffeine (and I am assuming that is the issue) is a naturally occurring substance and the body is probably used to dealing with it. I think if you have a diet with a lot of processed foods or other weird things in it, you might have to worry, but not if your diet is fairly clean to begin with. If you are worried, just try to limit your processed foods and buy organic fruits/veggies where you eat the skins. Eating real food generally will help your liver out.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Interesting. I've never been a coffee drinker but for some reason I have been drinking it for the past couple of weeks. And my weight loss has stopped; I actually gained 2 lbs. this week. It will be easy for me to cut out and interesting to see if that helps. Thanks for posting this.
The coffee seems to dull my morning appetite,but sometimes I think it makes me feel hungry if I have it after dinner. I like the after dinner cup, it gives me a little pep do exercise or get some housework done