Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Michael Eades blog (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/816259-michael-eades-blog.html)

jeaniem 10-30-2013 06:08 PM

Michael Eades blog

I was just reading over there and he says to become keto adapted more quickly you should give up coffee:sad: Anyone find that coffee is an issue?

hippiegirl 10-30-2013 06:33 PM

I've never had a problem, personally.

DiamondDeb 10-30-2013 06:35 PM

Coffee is no problem at all for me. I'm not sure which blog post you read that in?

I gave up coffee for a full year once. Not even decaf. It made no difference in any way. Mind you, I was not in the habit of drinking pots of coffee all day long either. If you drink tons of coffee it could, theoretically, cause problems.

I added coffee back in & drink it almost every day. I usually have two tall mugs of it with a little pure stevia powder extract in it. Today I had one mug. Yesterday I had three.

I have never used a keto-stick and never plan to but the fat is melting off; I'm shrinking like crazy. Whatever I'm doing, it is working great & has been for a long time.

jeaniem 10-30-2013 06:48 PM

"When you drink coffee, tea, and/or alcohol and take OTC meds, you occupy much of your liver’s detoxification capacity. Which means it can’t get rid of insulin as well and can’t regulate metabolism in general as well as it does when it isn’t busily detoxing toxins."

"So, if you really want to hit it hard in the early phases of your low-carb diet and reach low-carb adaptation at warp speed, I would recommend avoiding – or at least limiting – coffee, tea, alcohol and OTC meds."

This is a snippet from the article. It is Pt.II of a series regarding tips for starting/restarting a low carb diet. I love coffee and have about 3 cups a day:)

DiamondDeb 10-30-2013 07:09 PM

I read the article. I really don't think it is an issue unless you are just starting out & also drinking very little water. How much water do you drink?

He even followed the above quote with "So, if you really want to hit it hard in the early phases of your low-carb diet and reach low-carb adaptation at warp speed, I would recommend avoiding – or at least limiting – coffee, tea, alcohol and OTC meds." Three cups of coffee per day is pretty moderate already.

I used to drink water similar to the way he mentions - some water, some coffee (or tea, etc). It helps form the habit of drinking water. Drinking anything other than water was a 'reward" for getting my water in. Now I just naturally drink about a gallon of water per day. Plus up to 3 mugs of coffee &/or 1-2 glasses of tea.

Mistizoom 10-30-2013 08:05 PM

Interesting. I've never been a coffee drinker but for some reason I have been drinking it for the past couple of weeks. And my weight loss has stopped; I actually gained 2 lbs. this week. It will be easy for me to cut out and interesting to see if that helps. Thanks for posting this.

snowangel9 10-30-2013 10:23 PM

Never considered it could be a problem. Hmm... I thought fructose was what occupied 80% of your liver function. Where does he get that from? I only drink a couple of cups a day too.. Guess I could try and cut that out and see what happens.

I'd really like to know what he's referencing...

Arctic_Mama 10-30-2013 11:33 PM

Not an issue for me at all. I don't believe it makes any significant difference to someone with an otherwise solid diet and health status.

Punkin 10-31-2013 06:09 AM

Well, I went from drinking 1 cup of coffee a day to 6 to 8 cups of coffee a day when I went to a low carb diet and lost a ton of body fat. I bumped up my coffee for a reason to drink HWC as a fat source. So although his reason makes sense, I am not sure that it actually works that way. Maybe if you are eating a lot of other toxins that could be true, but caffeine (and I am assuming that is the issue) is a naturally occurring substance and the body is probably used to dealing with it. I think if you have a diet with a lot of processed foods or other weird things in it, you might have to worry, but not if your diet is fairly clean to begin with. If you are worried, just try to limit your processed foods and buy organic fruits/veggies where you eat the skins. Eating real food generally will help your liver out.

jeaniem 10-31-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16664829)
Interesting. I've never been a coffee drinker but for some reason I have been drinking it for the past couple of weeks. And my weight loss has stopped; I actually gained 2 lbs. this week. It will be easy for me to cut out and interesting to see if that helps. Thanks for posting this.

The coffee seems to dull my morning appetite,but sometimes I think it makes me feel hungry if I have it after dinner. I like the after dinner cup, it gives me a little pep do exercise or get some housework done:)